Cruise Lines: Average & Typical (Median) Passenger Ages?

POA1

Does anyone know a good, reliable source for this data? It seems that the lines themselves try to paint a wide range picture so that they can appeal to a broader market.

I'm looking for data by cruise line, not industry aggregate figures or generalities like "7 Day cruises tend to have younger passengers."

As always, thank you in advance.

Several people have commented that they went on a HAL cruise and the average age was 80. I guess that means a 2,000 passenger HAL ship carries 1,000 people who are 60 and 1,000 people who are 100.

;) Seriously, good luck finding "actual true data."

Edited by Linda&Vern

Does anyone know a good, reliable source for this data? It seems that the lines themselves try to paint a wide range picture so that they can appeal to a broader market.

I'm looking for data by cruise line, not industry aggregate figures or generalities like "7 Day cruises tend to have younger passengers."

What meaning would it have if you found, say, that HAL has an average age of 61.2? That would not match your specific Grand World Voyage nor your Caribbean Thanksgiving cruise nor your July AK cruise. ;)

I understand you question, but in my humble opinion I think any single answer to your question would be meaningless.

Take Hal for example, I have cruised on 3 day trips, 7-14 day cruises to

Alaska and the Caribbean as well as several cruises of over 60 days and many in-between. Average ages of passengers was seemingly VERY different for these trips, even for a 7 day versus 14 day Alaska cruise. On Princess I have also cruised on 2 night to several 30+ day cruises and the differences are also very, very noticeable. For the other cruise lines I have not cruised enough to have this same information, but I suspect that average ages also vary with ship and itinerary

For having median or mean age numbers mean anything by themselves or for comparison purposes one would really need to know specifics, such as the "average" age on a 7 day Alaska cruise, or a World Cruise, or such. Otherwise averages would be meaningless for comparison purposes OR for just understanding one specific cruise.

PS - I also agree with Catl331 and HamOp - posting at the same time.

Edited by wander

I started on HAL in 1988 when I was not yet 40. I continue on HAL because the experience then was over the top wonderful. Being, a 'tad' older now, it's not the same over the top wonderful but seems to be where I belong based on research. It's hard to figure out what the 'mean', 'median' physical age means. I've been out paced by some 80 year olds.

I understand you question, but in my humble opinion I think any single answer to your question would be meaningless.

No, the answer would probably be a URL (website address) where I could find the data.

I haven't been able to find the information, and I thought perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. I tend to agree that it's a pretty well kept secret.

Thanks for the replies. If I happen to locate the information, I will let you know.

No, the answer would probably be a URL (website address) where I could find the data.

I haven't been able to find the information, and I thought perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. I tend to agree that it's a pretty well kept secret.

Thanks for the replies. If I happen to locate the information, I will let you know.

I think it's more a case of ==there are some 'young folks' who are 'old farts' and some 'old folks' who are really 'young at heart'. Yes there will be folks with walkers and scooter, but there are many more people who are same age that are active and more spritely than the 'younger folks'

The average passenger age on any cruise ship varies dramatically from week to week and month to month.

And although we use historical data to try to predict future cruise info based on past cruises, the trends in recent years have been all over the map.

I am on a mid-sized mass market ship this year. The average age on my ship has fluctuated from 53 to 82 over the past 6 months.

These numbers rarely even came close to matching the numbers on the same itineraries at the same times last year.

Perhaps you could call the cruise lines for that info. Are you doing a research paper?

Perhaps you could call the cruise lines for that info. Are you doing a research paper?

Not exactly. It is just some work we're doing for market definition. Not nearly as much fun as our recent research project on the Noordam. ;)

The average passenger age on any cruise ship varies dramatically from week to week and month to month.

And although we use historical data to try to predict future cruise info based on past cruises, the trends in recent years have been all over the map.

I am on a mid-sized mass market ship this year. The average age on my ship has fluctuated from 53 to 82 over the past 6 months.

These numbers rarely even came close to matching the numbers on the same itineraries at the same times last year.

Thanks. I know that it's hard to predict and we've seen instances where the longer cruise = older guests axiom didn’t apply. Clearly somebody tracks it at each of the lines, but I suspect that it's not information that is readily available.

By the way, thank you for all the great information you have provided for many years. As I recall, you mentioned a while back that the average age of the HAL passenger was 58, while the average age of the Princess passenger was 59 for the past 8-9 years. Is that still correct?

A friend of ours went on a HAL 7-day cruise a year ago and he said the captain stated there were 400 kids on board.

Thanks,

Ken

Edited by kjw869

Here's my input on average ages on various cruiselines:

Disney - 7

Carnival - 16

Royal Caribbean - 29

Princess - 42

Holland America - 58

Cunard - 75

DISCLAIMER: All ages are purely speculation and just thrown in for fun.

That's probably accurate!

Age, schmage. I've been on Carnival cruises with people in their 30's cruising around in scooters and HAL cruises where I've had to hide my head in my book in shame because the same 80+ year old grandmas have walked the promenade for the cure ten times while I've been sitting on my lazy tush.

It would still be interesting to know the answer. I'll bet as cruise prices go up the ladder the age goes up the ladder as well.

I think that there are a few variables which can greatly impact the average age of cruisers. They would be date of cruise, length of cruise, embarkation port, itinerary.

If you select a 7 day Caribbean cruise during the Christmas holiday period you will find that the demographics are much different from lets say a 21 day cruise Asian cruise.

I think that there are a few variables which can greatly impact the average age of cruisers. They would be date of cruise, length of cruise, embarkation port, itinerary.

If you select a 7 day Caribbean cruise during the Christmas holiday period you will find that the demographics are much different from lets say a 21 day cruise Asian cruise.

I agree. That's what makes the question difficult to answer. If not impossible.

We were told that the average age on the Prinsendam's Grand South American voyage this year was 67. I thought at the time, that wasn't as old as I would have thought for such a long cruise---68 days. We did have three kids!!!

Edited by Storylady

I cannot imagine what a cruise with an average age of 82 would be like.

I am finding this discussion very interesting just because it is so easy for the data to be skewed.

For example, the three children on the Prinsendam Grand South American cruise probably had an impact on lowering the average age of the passenger because your overall passeneger capacity is 976. On a larger vessel, three children would not have as great an impact.

The cruise with an average age of 82 could be skewed by a group of over-90 year olds. (I was on a cruise that probably skewed towards a higher age range because there were three rather large groups of folks celebrating their 50 year college reunions.)

I do hope people continue to contribute to this thread and, POA1, if you find a reliable source of such data, please share.