Dirty Air on Quest

Kellie Poodle

We were on the same cruise as the OP. We did not have any dust problems. However, there were people on the ship that had bad coughs. These were not air quality related coughs. Two others that we were traveling with (including myself) ended up getting the cough on the last day of the cruise. It was a virus that was going around and lasts about 3 weeks. It was not related to air quality…..just being with lots of people and catching it. :rolleyes:

I don't understand how some one could say, based on a sample of one, that the entire ship has dirty air and that people with respiratory issues should beware of it. That's a pretty serious claim to make against the Quest for a conclusion based on guesswork. Our cabin on the Quest had no issues with dust.

I haven't a clue as to why there was a dust accumulation in the OP's cabin. Maybe an isolated blockage in the ductwork? Who knows. If it were me, I would have brought it to the attention of the Hotel Director when I was on the ship. It doesn't come across well when said months later on an internet forum.

I totally agree. A problem should be nipped in the bud...not long after the fact. Unfortunately the OP wasn't happy with Azamara or much of anything about the cruise that I can remember.

Waco I am surprised she is still posting here at all. I am sure you have seen me there too but I was cashing money or talking. If I could change one thing it would be the hours people jog as it vibrates and I walk up. I have learned to try to take naps.

Unfortunately, being in close quarters anywhere (airplane, office, or cruise ship) makes it much easier for viruses to spread, no matter how much you clean. And for anyone whose respiratory system is the littlest bit compromised, it is so much easier to fall ill. We've been on cruises with rampant Noro virus (what an experience that was! btw, it wasn't on Azamara) and I don't think I've ever been so ill as with the upper respiratory virus I contracted on a cruise in Asia...lasted weeks. The OP said she noticed the dust but didn't know about the CPAP filters until after she arrived home so I think we should cut her some slack. However, if it had been me, I would have mentioned the dust to my cabin attendant and, if not resolved, would definitely have mentioned it to the Hotel Director. That's what they are there for.

I certainly would have kept complaining about wet, mildewed carpet until something more substantial had been done.

I've found that the smallest complaint is taken very seriously and handled expeditiously (with a lot of follow up...sometimes too much LOL) I must admit, though, that I was not impressed with one of the people in Land Discoveries..the first time I've experienced a snarky response from anyone on Azamara.

Meant to do this sooner, but forgot.

Just a heads up to people with respiratory issues and allergies.

Our cabin on Quest was very dusty. Even after the cabin attendants went through it, a film of dust would form overnight on the tables, etc.

My DH has a Bi-pap breathing machine that uses little filters. At home he changes them every other week and they are as clean and white as they were before he put the new ones in. After getting home from our cruise, he found the little filter to be black with dirt. The same for the little washable filter...black!

We have traveled extensively with this machine including numerous cruises, hotel stays and RV trips and and have never seen the filters turn black from dirt like they were after the Azamara cruise.

We both came home with upper respiratory infections. Could they have been from the dirty air as well?

Azamara, if you are reading this, you need to do some serious maintenance on your air ducts.

Those with respiratory issues, beware.

Hi Kellie Poodle, et.al. ~

I've just received word from our President, Larry Pimentel, that he has spoken with the Hotel Department as well as the Chief Medical Officer for both ships. They assure us that all air filters have routinely been replaced on schedule. Larry has requested that all filters be replaced again on the next turn-around, just to be doubly sure. Thanks for calling our attention to this.