Dirty Air on Quest

Kellie Poodle

Meant to do this sooner, but forgot.

Just a heads up to people with respiratory issues and allergies.

Our cabin on Quest was very dusty. Even after the cabin attendants went through it, a film of dust would form overnight on the tables, etc.

My DH has a Bi-pap breathing machine that uses little filters. At home he changes them every other week and they are as clean and white as they were before he put the new ones in. After getting home from our cruise, he found the little filter to be black with dirt. The same for the little washable filter...black!

We have traveled extensively with this machine including numerous cruises, hotel stays and RV trips and and have never seen the filters turn black from dirt like they were after the Azamara cruise.

We both came home with upper respiratory infections. Could they have been from the dirty air as well?

Azamara, if you are reading this, you need to do some serious maintenance on your air ducts.

Those with respiratory issues, beware.

Interesting, never ever had an issue with air quality on Azamara and DH has big allergy issues.

Did you mention to anyone more senior the issue when you were onboard - it does not seem right dust was settling that fast

Ps. As you have breathing issues, can I suggest you never venture to China where even I with healthy lungs am suffering big time just now

Edited by uktog

Interesting, never ever had an issue with air quality on Azamara and DH has big allergy issues.

Did you mention to anyone more senior the issue when you were onboard - it does not seem right dust was settling that fast

Ps. As you have breathing issues, can I suggest you never venture to China where even I with healthy lungs am suffering big time just now

I should have reported it, but I'm not the type to complain. We didn't realize how bad it was until we got home and he changed the filters.

Thanks for the heads up about China. We have been considering a trip there but maybe we won't go.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

If you are thinking about China have a look at http://www.aqicn.org.cn or the US embassy in China websites as they break down the cities and you can see the times of the year and the cities that are problems. In the last few days we have been at Hazardous plus. At least today it's only moderate/unhealthy :)

Hi Kellie Poodle,

I wish you would have said something to the Hotel Department while onboard. It wouldn't have been taken as a complaint. I'm sure they would have done whatever possible to fix the situation for you.

I realize you want your anonymity on this forum, but perhaps you'll call the office next week to let the hotel department know the cruise and stateroom you were in? That way they can notify the ship to investigate the appropriate air ducts for any accumulation of dust. Or if you want to send me the cruise and stateroom information, I'll pass it along for you.

Truly sorry,

Bonnie

I am sorry you had a dust problem in your cabin but you should have reported it to the Hotel Director and it surely would have been addressed. It's how Azamara deals with any problems onboard that makes them stand out from other cruise lines and if they don't know about the problem then they don't have the chance to put it right.

I do have to say though that all my cabins on Azamara have luckily been "dust free zones" and fortunately I have never had a respiratory problem due to their air con. I do on planes and in some hotels and once on a Cunard cruise I had a dry cough every time I entered our cabin and that was in a Grills Suite too. But never on AZ.

Must say all of my cabins have been clean and dust free. This is the first post I've seen here about a dusty stateroom so hopefully it was an isolated incident. I agree with what others have written on this thread. Much easier and more satisfactory to raise the concern when you are onboard than let it fester and come to Cruise Critic when you get back and make an issue of it. If you attend the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle party this point is always made loud and clear.

Phil

My husband also has a C-PAP machine. After many cruises on both the Journey and Quest, he has never had a problem with the filters being dirty.

I don't understand why someone would fail to mention a problem while on the cruise (when something could be done) but post on this board when it is too late to do anything about the problem.

At the Meet & Mingle, the Cruise Director always asks that if someone is having any kind of issue that it be brought to his attention. Obviously, in order for something to be taken care of, it has to be mentioned.:rolleyes:

Maybe the problem was specific to one cabin.

I get severe sinus headaches if I am exposed to too much dust, pollen, or mould, or extreme dry conditions. Fortunately I did not have any problems on the Quest or the Journey.

If the problem was specific to one cabin (probably right) and she had spoken up, she would have been moved to another cabin. It could have been so easy.

Hi Kellie Poodle,

I wish you would have said something to the Hotel Department while onboard. It wouldn't have been taken as a complaint. I'm sure they would have done whatever possible to fix the situation for you.

I realize you want your anonymity on this forum, but perhaps you'll call the office next week to let the hotel department know the cruise and stateroom you were in? That way they can notify the ship to investigate the appropriate air ducts for any accumulation of dust. Or if you want to send me the cruise and stateroom information, I'll pass it along for you.

Truly sorry,

Bonnie

I could send it to you to pass along. Could you provide an email address, please?

My husband also has a C-PAP machine. After many cruises on both the Journey and Quest, he has never had a problem with the filters being dirty.

I don't understand why someone would fail to mention a problem while on the cruise (when something could be done) but post on this board when it is too late to do anything about the problem.

At the Meet & Mingle, the Cruise Director always asks that if someone is having any kind of issue that it be brought to his attention. Obviously, in order for something to be taken care of, it has to be mentioned.:rolleyes:

1) We did not realize the severity of the problem until he came home and changed the filters.

2) At the time I didn't think the accumulation of dust was anything to be concerned about. After we saw the condition of the filters, we understood the link between the dust and everything else.

3) We had dry coughs and DH sneezed a lot but we attributed it to our allergies acting up from port excursions.

If the problem was specific to one cabin (probably right) and she had spoken up, she would have been moved to another cabin. It could have been so easy.

There were no empty outside cabins on that sailing. I cannot do inside as I'm very claustrophobic.

We didn't realize the air quality was so bad until we got home. Who complains about dust? The attendant cleaned up twice a day.

There were no empty outside cabins on that sailing. I cannot do inside as I'm very claustrophobic.

We didn't realize the air quality was so bad until we got home. Who complains about dust? The attendant cleaned up twice a day.

If a passenger is having a problem with the cabin they're in, they'll be moved to any available cabin, even if it is more expensive than the one they paid for.

If your cabin was cleaned twice a day and there was still dust, you had a problem. So sad really that you didn't speak up.

"Speaking UP" doesn't always get you anywhere. We had a problem with an excursion so we complained to the excursion desk...they blew us off even though several other couples had reported the same problem. They said it was Miami's problem.

We had wet carpet and terrible mildew smell problem outside of our cabin on deck 6. I'm very allergic to mildew. We called as did several others on the deck. Their solution was to shampoo the carpet. The panels should have been taken off the walls to see where the water was leaking. The problem was still there when we left the ship.

On our next cruise there was little to no hot water. We called, they said they fixed it...same situation. This was on deck 8. There was an ac problem on both decks 6 and 8. We kept the drapes shut during the day etc.. After awhile one just gives up because it will ruin your cruise. We just adjusted to the situation and tried to find our own solutions...some of them worked some of them did not. The "R" ships are showing their age and one should expect these type of things.

I could send it to you to pass along. Could you provide an email address, please?

Hi Kellie Poodle, I don't have an ACC email address yet. So please post the ship and stateroom, and date of sailing here on CC for me to relay, or you if you prefer, email hotel department care of: sdaniels @ azamara club cruises. It sounds like something that needs looking into.

p.s. I'm going to be driving through deep south texas in a week or two. are you anywhere near del rio?

Who complains about dust?

You did, albeit after the fact. :D:D:D

Hopefully the problem can get fixed for future cruisers in that room.

We had no dust or air problems on the Quest 6 months ago.

Hope your sinus stuff has cleared up! Its awful going home from a cruise sick!

Hi Kellie Poodle, I don't have an ACC email address yet. So please post the ship and stateroom, and date of sailing here on CC for me to relay, or you if you prefer, email hotel department care of: sdaniels @ azamara club cruises. It sounds like something that needs looking into.

p.s. I'm going to be driving through deep south texas in a week or two. are you anywhere near del rio?

We were on the Quest "Route of the Americas" sailing February 18, 2014. Stateroom 4030.

We are not near Del Rio, we are nearer to Brownsville at the other end of the Rio Grande in Harlingen. If you ever find yourself in this part of Texas, you have a standing invitation.

I have come home from this cruiseline with a cough. But I never thought it was the cabin. I thought someone else is sick and I got the germ . Oh well.

As far as the tour desk instead of complaint and getting no where I write a letter and turn it into the front desk for the manager of tours. I have as others have money back for tours.

The person who is the OP was on the cruise of the 18 th of Feb. She was on my cruise. It was very hot outside and they turned the air colder thru out the ship and I figured that is when I started coughing.

As far as the tour desk instead of complaint and getting no where I write a letter and turn it into the front desk for the manager of tours. I have as others have money back for tours.

/quote]

Which tours did you receive money back and for what reasons?

Thanks.

We haven't been told how long the filter was in the CPAP machine before boarding Quest.

And I still have to wonder why this was posted here rather than simply picking up the phone and calling Azamara:confused:. None of us can address the problem, if there really is one.

I don't understand how some one could say, based on a sample of one, that the entire ship has dirty air and that people with respiratory issues should beware of it. That's a pretty serious claim to make against the Quest for a conclusion based on guesswork. Our cabin on the Quest had no issues with dust.

I haven't a clue as to why there was a dust accumulation in the OP's cabin. Maybe an isolated blockage in the ductwork? Who knows. If it were me, I would have brought it to the attention of the Hotel Director when I was on the ship. It doesn't come across well when said months later on an internet forum.