What to Expect on River Cruises

oscarwild

We took a Princess cruise years ago, but are now thinking about taking a river cruise. France is high on our list of where to go. However, we are wondering if anyone can advise on the atmosphere on different river cruise lines and different itineraries - is there a dress code for any of these cruises? Do some cater to particular age groups? Are some more open to personal choice as to schedules or do most have a set schedule to which passengers must adhere? Is there an overall average to the amount of time the ships dock in each port? Do some dock overnight, and if so, do you have the option of staying overnight on land? Are there opportunities to do your own shore excursions while in port, and if so, what are the pros/cons of doing so on your own? Wondering if some cruises are "stuffy," more formal and others are more relaxed and casual - will we be surrounded by world travelers, highly educated or a more diverse mix of fellow travelers?

TIA for any helpful hints you can give us. Just beginning to explore river cruise travel :-)

PS-this is my first post, please be kind.

We took a Princess cruise years ago, but are now thinking about taking a river cruise. France is high on our list of where to go. However, we are wondering if anyone can advise on the atmosphere on different river cruise lines and different itineraries - is there a dress code for any of these cruises? Do some cater to particular age groups? Are some more open to personal choice as to schedules or do most have a set schedule to which passengers must adhere? Is there an overall average to the amount of time the ships dock in each port? Do some dock overnight, and if so, do you have the option of staying overnight on land? Are there opportunities to do your own shore excursions while in port, and if so, what are the pros/cons of doing so on your own? Wondering if some cruises are "stuffy," more formal and others are more relaxed and casual - will we be surrounded by world travelers, highly educated or a more diverse mix of fellow travelers?

TIA for any helpful hints you can give us. Just beginning to explore river cruise travel :-)

PS-this is my first post, please be kind.

Some do indeed overnight in port but you have to read the detailed itinerary of each to see this. We will be in France with AMA Waterways in November and also choose carefully as we very much enjoy overnight stays and also prefer to limit the time we are sailing during the day as we like to maximize time in port.

We have been on 6 river cruises and leave on Friday for our 3rd with AMA. For us, AMA delivers the experience we enjoy with very good food and service, lovely ships and excellent attention to detail. We have found their demographic to be much more diverse than previous river cruises with Avalon. We are on the younger side of river cruisers and prefer a more lively onboard ambiance, which was the case on our two previous AMA cruises.

We are DIY independent travelers and while we will participate in some excursions, we head out on our own much of the time as that is our preference. We will seek out a private guide in some locations in order to focus on our own interests.

We do enjoy the active paced tours and limited edition tour AMA offers (included).

Although our first RC is coming up in 3 weeks, I don't have personal experience yet but our TA told us this:

The 'average' age is mid-60s. (we are younger than this) Fellow passengers will be well-traveled and English speaking... Americans, Brits Canadian and Aussies for the most part.

Although there will be pax that are older than the mean age, they will not have mobility problems. (think wheelchairs and O2) that you may see on ocean cruises.

The amount of time in port will vary on the line and itinerary. The demographics may depend on the itinerary itself, length of itinerary, and time of year. I would imagine summer will bring more families. The longer cruises most likely retirees. We work, so I we don't want to be away for more than 2 weeks total. (pre-post extensions).

The evenings on board are not like OC (fine with me). It may be limited to singer, dancers or musicians brought on board in a given port. We play hard all day so we are early-to-bed and early-to-rise.

I will have more to say when we return in early May.

This question is asked alot, maybe we need a sticky for a compiliation of these questions. Here's a few recent threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1984177

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1949554

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1987337

Dress code: River cruising tends to be much relaxed. Yes, they encourage "country club casual" but most people put on a clean shirt and different shoes for dinner. It tends to be cooler in Europe, so you're more covered up anyway, and most of your excursions are touring cities with churches and historical areas, so you tend to dress appropriately.

Age Groups: River cruisers tend to be empty-nesters, established professionals and retirees. Even though they've been mainly over 50, it's generally a healthy, active, fit, fun-loving, adventurous crowd. I don't think any lines specifically cater to certain age groups, it's much more an ecomonic group.

Schedules: Most river cruises have included tours of the port they are docked in. When these are smaller towns, there's really no reason to get a personal guide. On Uniworld, we generally had enough time after the tour to explore a bit on our own. You could always opt out of the tours, but I think they add quite a bit to your experience. The time in port depends on the itinerary -- and it 's something to consider when you decide which itinerary you prefer. Uniworld provided ample time for us to explore on our own after the guided tours.

Overnight: Sometimes you are docked overnight, sometimes you're travelling. I can't imagine why I would stay in town overnight when my cabin is right there, comfortable and I don't need to repack. Breakfast is just a few steps away and we enjoy our dining companions (and the food on Uniworld is excellent!).

Cruisers: River cruising is a very easy way to travel and see part of Europe. The cruisers tend to be well-travelled, but not necessarily "world travellers" that fell 100% comfortable after landing in any airport anywhere in the world. I know I enjoy the ease of travelling on a river cruise, they provide guides, everyone the cruise contracts with speaks English, but we have enough time to explore a bit too.

Let us know if you have any specific questions. Everyone is a fan is their own favorite cruise line -- so that question gets a range of replies. You need to consider what's important to you when you travel (and make a sizable investment to travel).

load of info available.Get lots of brochure,visit RC websites, look at river cruise advisior site)(google_) ,even you tube has info.Type in particular ship,etc.

I ve done 10 and still learning all the tips and details.LOts to figure out and whats best for you,your budget can be a determining factor.See EXACTLY what is covered,what YOU WANT,etc.and go from there.We stared on Viking(sort of like Princess quality),tried Avalon,Uniworld,AMA,Gate 1.Each NICE but different,Find you DO TEND to get what you pay for.Trying Scenic next,billed at 5 star luxury with all incl.features,,,,but we ll see.So far,I agree with above AMA has been my favorite(2 cruises with them)..but now basing soley on itinerary(not wanting to see same area twice).

Try one, if not for you, try another.Remember, MUCH SMALLER ship,cabin,etc.with less entertainment.We LOVE them,but alternate between those and ocean to experience both types OH, try a shorter cruise with day or 2 pre and post cruise,then if not for you not caught on LONG one you hate.Also, can do own air and get a credit.I like that better to pick out whats better for me.Use a TA that specializes in river cruises,not one just assoc.with a particular line.Ask for special,s deals,best price,,,look around at a few first.

Edited by alexandra cruiser

Thanks for all of the helpful advice -it is a lot to take in. Every post yields more info and I think I'm starting to get a feel for it. Can anyone rank the river cruise companies from low to high budget? I know this will be subjective as the services and fees vary so much per line, but it might give me an idea of where to start in looking at individual lines. Again, thanks for all your great input!

If you guys don't mind, let me piggy-back on this question. Because it's the same question, just... different.

What to expect, as in:

You come on back aboard after a busy day meandering around, and now you're in for dinner and lockdown, because the ship is about to get underway. It's 7PM-ish, and the rest of the night lays out before you like turducken.

What are your usual options? Does everybody run off to their rooms to play "Candy Crush" and watch anything they can get in their native language? Is there anything semi-social going on in the lounge, or is it just a sparse collection of solitary and disinterested travelers looking to get shnozzled? Howsabout above decks - can you get up on the roof, lay out and watch the stars wheel by, or are you locked in for the duration of the night?

Should I stock up on books and music, or is there something more diverting than cuckoo-clock demonstrations to contend with?

Perigee123,

If it is 7ish, you will just be going in to dinner--one seating with open seating. After dinner there is usually music in the lounge and sometimes local entertainment. If you have been out all day, you just might crash after dinner. If cruising during good weather, the sun deck is lovely--sipping an after dinner drink and enjoy the scenery.. Pat

The least expensive I took was Gate 1,and as you can see from above post,ranked in average range(but poor in cruising,food,etc.)

Some such as Vantage,Grand Circle etc, are priced on lower end,but DO NOT ALLOW TAs.Which I will NOT BOOK with.Some like them,I have never taken one due to above.Like working with TA s for price,perks,advice,etc.

Then Viking,Avalon,Uniworld, are sort of mid range.Perfectly fine but I now like the hi er end ones.Such as AMA,TAUCK,Scenic.

Others may not agree,but just my opinion.Look at sample cruises and do a comparison.Read all the fine print on whats inc.

Try one,if not right,try another.Look at videos so you can see for yourself.:)

If you guys don't mind, let me piggy-back on this question. Because it's the same question, just... different.

You come on back aboard after a busy day meandering around, and now you're in for dinner and lockdown, because the ship is about to get underway. It's 7PM-ish, and the rest of the night lays out before you like turducken.

What are your usual options?

Usually you head back on board about an hour before dinner to allow a little time to clean-up, then you head up to the lounge for the next day port talk or information or just a drink.

Dinner tends to be about a 2 hour event (at least on Uniworld). You get your wine, review the menu, visit and chat, eat your 4 or so course meal.

After dinner you could head to the lounge or to the upper deck.

We did tend to retire early because you tend to be out on your excursions between 8:30 - 9... and if you want to enjoy breakfast, etc we tend to wake up early. You also do a lot of walking on the tours, after the meal and wine and the exercise and fresh air, I'm too pooped to party. And I do enjoy my 8 hours of sleep, but don't want to miss out on the tours and the ports (your body clock is messed up anyway, so it won't realize you're waking early on vacation).

Also, study the itineraries carefully. Some have overnights, or stay very late in some towns. This will enable you to go out on your own. Last year the Paris itinerary had overnight in Rouen, and also Paris. This year we are going to be in Germany and Amsterdam overnight. There are days when you sail into a town in the morning, and then after lunch you go to the next town. There is very little down time on many itineraries.

Also, you should expect some interesting lectures, no not cuckoo clocks :D on your itinerary. Last year we cruised the Seine and visited the Normandy Landing beaches, so the night before there was a lecture by a very knowledgable historian. There was also a presentation by the CD on French wine and cheese along with samples. I think there were a couple of french pastry demonstrations too, but we didn't partake in that.

Finally, from what I have learned by reading these boards, You pay for what you get. The question is do you want to pay for "everything". For example with Viking or Avalon, there will be one half day tour included and then after lunch you have the option of going out on your own or taking an "optional" tour. Wine and beer is included for dinner but not for lunch.

On other lines, everything is included. Everything is already paid for. There is nothing "optional", all tours are included, and wine and beer, and if I'm not mistaken, even spirits are included in the price.

Prices sometimes vary by date and there are lots of moving parts (length of cruise, ports included) in addition to the different included features that generally track across each line's offerings. But all that being said, my shopping has produced the following rough list by cost:

• Tauck - the most inclusive and luxurious, but you pay for it

• Scenic - also very inclusive; newest ships are very nice

• Uniworld - the decor of their ships is a love/hate thing

• AMA - we chose AMA because reviews said best food; we loved everything else too

• Avalon - seemed similar to AMA, but AMA reputed to have better food

• Viking - dedicated to providing "good enough" at a value price

Like Alexandra, I haven't really looked at the non-TA lines.

There are also some other lines that have been marketing only in Europe that are now starting to market to the US. They seem interesting, but there is much less information out there to help us judge what their cruises would be like:

• A-ROSA

• Croisieurope

It's important that you get a feel for each line, but also keep in mind that the vast majority of posters had a great time on whatever line they chose.

Prices sometimes vary by date and there are lots of moving parts (length of cruise, ports included) in addition to the different included features that generally track across each line's offerings. But all that being said, my shopping has produced the following rough list by cost:

• AMA - we chose AMA because reviews said best food; we loved everything else too

There are also some other lines that have been marketing only in Europe that are now starting to market to the US. They seem interesting, but there is much less information out there to help us judge what their cruises would be like:

• A-ROSA

• Croisieurope

It's important that you get a feel for each line, but also keep in mind that the vast majority of posters had a great time on whatever line they chose.

Again I must pull you up on your assertion that Tauck is the most expensive line. It's simply not. Compare the prices from Scenic and APT/AMA and even with the Australian dollar slipping Tauck is cheaper than the other two. I know because I did my homework when choosing our next cruise. I think Tauck is the best because it's truly all-inclusive (yes - you still have to pay for laundry) and it gives the wrong impression to those looking for a cruise to be told they are the best but the most expensive.

I always urge first time cruisers to do an comprehensive spreadsheet and then you'll get the true answer. Food, wine, service etc is subjective but price is not.

Viking,Avalon,Uniworld, are sort of mid range.Perfectly fine but I now like the hi er end ones.Such as AMA,TAUCK,Scenic.

Others may not agree,but just my opinion.Look at sample cruises and do a comparison.Read all the fine print on whats inc.

I would suggest that Uniworld is higher end. Our AMA cruise wasn't as memorable as others we have taken - so would most likely move it back down to mid-range, but obviously alexandra cruiser has had a different experience. In 2014, Uniworld is going more "all inclusive". They have an amazing attention to detail that makes their cruises, IMHO, "higher end". Many are not impressed with the "over the top" decor, but that is a very personal thing - and I am not sure how that would factor in to a decision of "mid" or "high" end.

I think that Scenic and Tauck are comparable in the "inclusion" category. Not sure what one line has over the other - now that the bar (and mini-bar in the rooms) are open and stocked daily.

Uniworld has identified themselves as "all inclusive" for 2014. Not sure what that entails yet.

Fran

Again I must pull you up on your assertion that Tauck is the most expensive line. It's simply not. Compare the prices from Scenic and APT/AMA and even with the Australian dollar slipping Tauck is cheaper than the other two. I know because I did my homework when choosing our next cruise. I think Tauck is the best because it's truly all-inclusive (yes - you still have to pay for laundry) and it gives the wrong impression to those looking for a cruise to be told they are the best but the most expensive.

I always urge first time cruisers to do an comprehensive spreadsheet and then you'll get the true answer. Food, wine, service etc is subjective but price is not.

I think that the prices depend on where you live. Tauck is not a better price for us here in Canada. I just did a head-to-head comparison for 2 itineraries. A 7 night cruise - Budapest to Regensburg (Tauck) or Nuremberg (Scenic) is comparable --> $3690 on Tauck vs $3350 on Scenic. However, right now the gap would be more given that Scenic is quoted in CDN dollars, and Tauck is in US.

There is a very similar itinerary Budapest to Prague. Now, Tauck has an extra night in Budapest (12 days vs 11 days on Scenic) but there is a cost difference. Tauck is $5290 vs $4545 for Scenic.

However, Tauck is cheaper on the Seine. Tauck offers 10 days for $4590, where Scenic is $5880 for 11 days.

I picked Scenic as a comparator as they are both all inclusive. I also looked at lowest category cabin - and cheapest sailing.

I do agree that you need to do your homework and truly do a head-to-head comparison. Unfortunately, sometimes our local currency has a huge effect on the final price.

It will be interesting to see how Uniworld compares this year. They are advertising "all inclusive" for 2014. AND - they include laundry service for repeat customers!!

Fran

Edited by franski

Also, study the itineraries carefully. Some have overnights, or stay very late in some towns. This will enable you to go out on your own. Last year the Paris itinerary had overnight in Rouen, and also Paris. This year we are going to be in Germany and Amsterdam overnight. There are days when you sail into a town in the morning, and then after lunch you go to the next town. There is very little down time on many itineraries.

Also, you should expect some interesting lectures, no not cuckoo clocks :D on your itinerary. Last year we cruised the Seine and visited the Normandy Landing beaches, so the night before there was a lecture by a very knowledgable historian. There was also a presentation by the CD on French wine and cheese along with samples. I think there were a couple of french pastry demonstrations too, but we didn't partake in that.

Finally, from what I have learned by reading these boards, You pay for what you get. The question is do you want to pay for "everything". For example with Viking or Avalon, there will be one half day tour included and then after lunch you have the option of going out on your own or taking an "optional" tour. Wine and beer is included for dinner but not for lunch.

On other lines, everything is included. Everything is already paid for. There is nothing "optional", all tours are included, and wine and beer, and if I'm not mistaken, even spirits are included in the price.

Viking has beer and wine with lunch and dinner and at breakfast there is champagne..

Thank you so much to those of you who took a stab at ranking the different lines. While I realize the rankings are subjective in nature, it does give me a framework from which to work. I appreciate it!

Usually you head back on board about an hour before dinner to allow a little time to clean-up, then you head up to the lounge for the next day port talk or information or just a drink.

Dinner tends to be about a 2 hour event (at least on Uniworld). You get your wine, review the menu, visit and chat, eat your 4 or so course meal.

After dinner you could head to the lounge or to the upper deck.

We did tend to retire early because you tend to be out on your excursions between 8:30 - 9... and if you want to enjoy breakfast, etc we tend to wake up early. You also do a lot of walking on the tours, after the meal and wine and the exercise and fresh air, I'm too pooped to party. And I do enjoy my 8 hours of sleep, but don't want to miss out on the tours and the ports (your body clock is messed up anyway, so it won't realize you're waking early on vacation).

Thanks, Kate. I'm trying to wrap my head around this mode of travel, since it's completely cattywhompus from the way I'm used to operating. One thing's absolutely sure - I'm going to have to really massage the heck out of the itinerary.

Reading through your post, I can see that I'm looking at this like a fella who can run on 4 hours of sleep, while palling around in the lounge till midnight and leaping miles of cobblestones from sun-up to sundown. I need to dial myself back, or find some options to drop for downtime.

Got2Cruise: Believe it or not, I really, really am getting cuckoo clocks. Weird, but there you go.

• A-ROSA

• Croisieurope

VANTAGE and GRAND CIRCLE are left off this list… because they don't use Travel Agents? They are very easy to work with by phone or on their website (love their catalogs!). They have frequent traveler discounts, referral discounts, early payer discounts and are reasonably priced. Although not all-inclusive -- transfers are usually included and most tours with some optionals.

Don't exclude them without taking a look!! :)

VANTAGE and GRAND CIRCLE are left off this list… because they don't use Travel Agents? They are very easy to work with by phone or on their website (love their catalogs!). They have frequent traveler discounts, referral discounts, early payer discounts and are reasonably priced. Although not all-inclusive -- transfers are usually included and most tours with some optionals. Don't exclude them without taking a look!! :)

Not just because they don't use TAs. Because there are fewer reports and posts about them, and because nothing I've read about them indicates they are high-end. I'm not interested in a line with less luxury than AMA. But this is a report of my personal cruising research and history. You may feel that the pricing on those lines matches the luxury level you desire.

why I didn't take them.And others do like them,I know.

Another factor is age(Grand circle,over 50 only,right?)I started river cruises in 40s so ignored them at time.Then yrs later I looked at BBB ratings for both and rated low(at that time),hear its improved.

Now that I m older,and can afford hi er end.Prefer the top brands ,as posted.Plus ,my TA only deals in premium and luxury lines(and give great discounts,perks,cash back,etc.

Another point, saw Burt Wolf on river cruise travel shows and he took AMA.If good enough for him,I say,hahah.

Again,TRY one,if not for YOU,TRY another.Not one line fits everyone.:)

Edited by alexandra cruiser
spelling

VANTAGE and GRAND CIRCLE are left off this list… because they don't use Travel Agents? They are very easy to work with by phone or on their website (love their catalogs!). They have frequent traveler discounts, referral discounts, early payer discounts and are reasonably priced. Although not all-inclusive -- transfers are usually included and most tours with some optionals.

Don't exclude them without taking a look!! :)

I agree. I have done 5 trips with Vantage and have 2 booked. I prefer not to deal with a TA because I am a control freak and prefer to deal with the line directly. The only time I had a trip screwed up was when I used a well respected TA and she tended to make arrangements for me using companies that paid HER the highest commission. Granted this was a long time ago, but I have been bookiing all of my travel myself. If it gets screwed up, or a hotel isn't what I thought it would be (it's happened), I have only myself to blame and I can handle that. With the internet and sites like Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic, it's easy to make arrangements yourself and sometimes you can save money because you're avoiding the TA commission. It's not for everybody, I agree, and a good TA can get you discounts or bonuses that you won't get on your own, but don't write off a company for the only reason that they don't deal with travel agents.:D