If you're thinking of leaving Carnival

Kimnjimnkids

We just sailed on the Sunshine earlier this month for our first cruise. We had a great time, but when we saw the Anthem in port, we just had to book it. So, we are headed back to Bermuda next year as well, just on the Anthem.

We will see how it goes I guess!

We tried Royal Caribbean, ONCE, and will never do it again. I think some people are happier with RC and some with Carnival. We are the latter and will keep booking Carnival.

You say this as though there is a huge difference between the two...

I don't particularly understand the obsessive loyalty thing. But if that floats your boat. You don't appear to have tried much else.....

Edited by BNBR

You say this as though there is a huge difference between the two...

I don't particularly understand the obsessive loyalty thing. But if that floats your boat. You don't appear to have tried much else.....

No, I haven't tried much else. It's not obsessive, just loyalty, which I find to be a good thing.

We are platinum on Carnival & Princess. One cruise on Celebrity. 3 on HAL. 3 on NCR.

But in September , we too sailed on Freedom of the Seas, RCI.

I agree

Food was bad. It did not taste good. Even desserts were not good. Carrot cake was not sweet.??

Windjammer was packed. Claustrophobic packed.

Ship was a maze. We found Studio B on the 6th day on cruise.

I did not like the décor. It needs to take a rehab...drydock. Cabin had issues with TV. We called Maintenance. He came up and shook a wire. From then on to see TV..We had to pull TV out from Wall and shake the wire. Creeped me out. Carpet needed replacing. One of chairs on balcony did not work right.

Entertainment was sort of old fashioned..shows like you saw 10 years ago, but I enjoyed them. saw them all. Did not see ice Show.

Trivia was the most irritating thing I have ever done. Activities Staff bill Trivia contests as

General Knowledge". Well, it you are up on Pop music......that is it. They were not prepared. Argued with guest. HELD Trivia in Schooner's Bar, which could seat maybe 30 people. Well about 60 showed up for Trivia. NO effort by Activities staff into groups. Even my husband and I, who had joined a group of standees, were grumpy. When we won the contest..our Australian group members even said some rude things to staff running it. And honestly, it was deserved..

I felt we had a Lazy Cruise director. Smart Alec hosts. Carnival...Does activities a MILLION times better

AND I could go on about bad but will stop

GOOD

STAFF.........cabin person was perfect. Tipped him extra. Two waiters in MDM at night had us coming back every night. I loved them. They were sweet, charming, funny. We were hugging the last night....NEVER did that before. Yes. they were tipped extra. Every staff member EXCEPT Activities........just great.

Ship photos were softer. I did not show all of the wrinkles I have plus more. bought a few. Usually do not

Ben and Jerry's ice cream, which is not free, is grand. We did not really explore the Promenade much because we were always lost. Did do some shopping for gifts on last day. Wish I had done that sooner. Enjoyed stores

Shore Trips were good. Cayman's we took the Trolley. Mexico...San Miguel. Labadie.. rocky. We did not tender in........and Falmouth.......did not get off ship.

Sticking to Carnival. For the money..........best bargain at sea. MIGHT try RCL again when they bring........Epic? up to Port Canaveral next year.

VERY interesting thread.

Liked all of the comments.

It would have to be rate so low it stunned me for us to cruise on RCI again. Celebrity? We enjoyed our cruise. We were on the Zenith. Think that was name. Long time ago....2006. Not with line anymore. Elevators did not work. Air Conditioning was a joke. It was a bucket. And we loved it. We had such a good time, I thought they would have to use a cherry picker to get us off. You Never can tell.

Edited by AmberTeka

That RCI cruise had to be horrific. You didn't even list it in your past cruises.:(

Bill

Honestly, I don't even remember the date. I know we went to Mexico, and it was on Monarch of the seas. Heck I couldn't even tell you the year, but I think it was our second or third cruise.

We are platinum on Carnival & Princess. One cruise on Celebrity. 3 on HAL. 3 on NCR.

I assume when you say NCR you mean NCL?

Sticking to Carnival. For the money..........best bargain at sea. MIGHT try RCL again when they bring........Epic? up to Port Canaveral next year.

Epic is an NCL ship not RCI.

Honestly, I don't even remember the date. I know we went to Mexico, and it was on Monarch of the seas. Heck I couldn't even tell you the year, but I think it was our second or third cruise.

That ship would in comparison to the Carnival Jubilee. I can see why it wasn't very memorable.

We went on the Sovereign of the Seas. I think which is pretty much like the Monarch. We opened the door and the bed was right there. I believe the cabin was about 116 sq ft.

Enjoy your future cruises.:)

Bill

Well yeah, no wonder. You went on the oldest, crappiest ship they have. It's not even a Royal Caribbean ship anymore... The thing is, you haven't been on any flagship vessels - you should expand your horizons just a little...

Epic is an NCL ship not RCI.

Pretty sure they meant Oasis of the Seas - as RCI is sending that up to Port Canaveral - I think in a week or two, actually.

To complain this much about Freedom of the Seas, though... Clearly these are people who are very biased and will look for anything to complain about to justify their beloved Carnival. Which is fine, I guess. "It looked like it needed a rehab" - it's as if they have never been on a Carnival ship...

Well yeah, no wonder. You went on the oldest, crappiest ship they have. It's not even a Royal Caribbean ship anymore... The thing is, you haven't been on any flagship vessels - you should expand your horizons just a little...

Except that they said it was their second or third cruise which means that it was somewhere between 2007 and 2009.

And not everyone thinks Royal is the bees knees of cruising. I much prefer Carnival but throw in the occasional cheap Royal cruise for variety (and Celebrity and Disney for various other reasons).

While I am looking forward to the Solarium pool, Café Promenade, Giovanni's, and the freestyle coke machines on the Freedom of the seas, I am not looking forward to the hard beds, the lackluster MDR food, or the lack of daytime activities that are not athletic.

I'll have a good time because I make my own good time - not because Royal is better than Carnival.

And that's the thing... I haven't actually said Royal is better. I prefer their larger ships, and Carnival does certain things better... but I have said they are more alike than they are different.

Our family FINALLY cruised something new this month. RC Freedom. I was SO sick of the same ole same ole on Carnival. But after the first day onboard the Freedom, I missed my 'same ole, same ole' Carnival ships!

Biggest disappointments were:

The Cruise Director and Captain doesn't keep you 'in the loop' about anything! On Carnival they are engaging you each day in the events, activities and just daily announcements. RC does not do that!

Many people complain about non-stop announcements. Everything that you need to know is available on your daily schedule. BINGO BINGO BINGO, GO NOW! is really annoying all day.

Missed it :(

The buffets during in one area...the Windjammer. And it is through ONE set of doors, (that are closed and locked when buffet hours are over)completely packed away in a tight area and there will NEVER be a table for you available unless you are practically the first ones in there at opening!!

Actually that only happens on boarding day. Most sea days, you have multiple choices and the MDR is open that siphons off the crowd. The Windjammer has multiple food stations, and so people get their food fast and sit down. Between meals, they strip and clean everything, so why wouldn't the doors be locked? It's closed! Personally, I never had an issue finding a table, and the staff always will help you find one.

Carnival has 3-4buffets open at peak times. 1-2 is right by the main pool and the other one(s) are further back inside the AC and there is ALWAYS a table available for you and your family. They have two floors of tables! Inside AND out!!! I missed that SO BAD while on the RC cruise!!

Carnival promotes a self serve, buffet style atmosphere as a means to cut cost. Serve yourself is their motto!

Also RC did NOT have 'help yourself' drink stations like Carnival!

Again, so many people complain on Carnival about the "disgusting behavior" at drink stations, and so RCCL gets it for you. However, RCCL does have a drink station, but you did not look hard enough!

The crew made it for you and if you wanted coffee, you had to wait for them to make it for you.

Never had that happen, but see note above, they do have a get youself location, but the preference is that you will get served by a waiter.

Ugh this was horrible!! Oh and it wasn't available AT ALL during the times that the Windjammer doors were closed! So if you wanted , juice, tea, coffee during the morning, day or night but not during buffet hours..too bad!

Sorry, not true, you may not have looked hard enough, but you can get any beverage, including free beverages on the pool deck.

You had to take an elevator to deck 5 Promenade and get it from down there! NOT convenient when you're enjoying the pool or the decks)

No 24 self-serve ice cream!!! Only open 11:30-7! (And that's if the guy in charge opens it on time...which ours was late 5 out of the 7 days).

It's not real ice cream. No loss there

The food in Carnival is a LOT better!! I'm serious!! So disappointed in RC food when I've heard its the best in the industry!! Especially in the main dining room....and OMG did we miss our chocolate melting cake!!!!!!

It's a fancy brownie. However, where did you get RCCL is the best? It's different, but not the best. However, RCCL uses a better cuts of meat, than Carnival, and generally speaking would spend more money per guest on the food, but that does not make it much better.

Staterooms are ok but the attendants on Carnival are way more personable!

My guess being only on one ship, that you are making a judgement based on one person? Maybe the RCCL guy was busy working, instead of sharing that he needs to send money home for his 5 kids, who live in a dirt hut? I personally rather a clean room, than finding his creative story to get a bigger tip.

They don't turn your room in to the 'day' room and later turn it into the 'night' room. And never any chocolate! Sorry to be petty but I missed that too! :( Oh and just forget about a welcome packet of sample amenities!! RC doesn't leave you a thing!! Not sure why but...I missed that too!

Don't know exactly what you are saying but they service your room two times a day. Welcome packet of samples are provided by vendors. Carnival only has one a day service, so this whole statement is confusing. I also thought Carnival does not give out chocolate either?

There's more I can add but my family had such excitement to try new things. See new shows. Take a 'step up' in the cruising industry...just to be terribly disappointed!

So how did you 14 year old enjoy the "extensive" activities geared to his age group?

I'm sure there are cruise companies that top Carnival...I am not opposed to trying others (we've done Disney and it's our top fav but it's too different for us to compare in this post on the common cruise companies) And I'm not even opposed to trying other RC cruise ships. I will just be expecting to not have the things I love the most from Carnival!!

The RC lacked the things that we find as major conveniences. And when we are on a relaxing cruise, having the convenient things available are on our top five musts!!

Bottom line...guess was NOT greener!

Booked our next Carnival for October!

It seems you had a lot of complaints about the availability of poorly tasting ice tea, and ice cream. Also, most of the items complaint about were available so I wondering if you walked around a little, or just assumed it was not available such as getting your own drinks, which seemed to be a recurring issue. Different cruise lines do things differently, but the overall experience and shows, make the difference, not to mention the employee/guest ratio and the public space ratio.

z

Carnival has 3-4buffets open at peak times. 1-2 is right by the main pool and the other one(s) are further back inside the AC and there is ALWAYS a table available for you and your family. They have two floors of tables! Inside AND out!!! I missed that SO BAD while on the RC cruise!!

Carnival promotes a self serve, buffet style atmosphere as a means to cut cost. Serve yourself is their motto!

Also RC did NOT have 'help yourself' drink stations like Carnival!

Again, so many people complain on Carnival about the "disgusting behavior" at drink stations, and so RCCL gets it for you. However, RCCL does have a drink station, but you did not look hard enough!

The food in Carnival is a LOT better!! I'm serious!! So disappointed in RC food when I've heard its the best in the industry!! Especially in the main dining room....and OMG did we miss our chocolate melting cake!!!!!!

It's a fancy brownie. However, where did you get RCCL is the best? It's different, but not the best. However, RCCL uses a better cuts of meat, than Carnival, and generally speaking would spend more money per guest on the food, but that does not make it much better.

Staterooms are ok but the attendants on Carnival are way more personable!

My guess being only on one ship, that you are making a judgement based on one person? Maybe the RCCL guy was busy working, instead of sharing that he needs to send money home for his 5 kids, who live in a dirt hut? I personally rather a clean room, than finding his creative story to get a bigger tip.

It seems you had a lot of complaints about the availability of poorly tasting ice tea, and ice cream. Also, most of the items complaint about were available so I wondering if you walked around a little, or just assumed it was not available such as getting your own drinks, which seemed to be a recurring issue. Different cruise lines do things differently, but the overall experience and shows, make the difference, not to mention the employee/guest ratio and the public space ratio.

z

You are really a really funny person (totally biased) but funny....you are trying to be funny right:confused: Someone post their thoughts on their experiences and you try to discredit each one with your anti Carnival views... Amazing:eek:...

You are really a really funny person (totally biased) but funny....you are trying to be funny right:confused: Someone post their thoughts on their experiences and you try to discredit each one with your anti Carnival views... Amazing:eek:...

They appear to be factual corrections...

Not surprised you would think so, where are the facts?

It's funny that you find this other poster biased, and yet you are so blindly biased yourself you can't see the facts.

There IS a drink station.... would be a start. You CAN get your own coffee, the buffet is set up differently with multiple stations.... Royal does have twice daily service.... etc. etc.

I didn't know what I was missing until I started cruising other lines. For example: the biggest, loudest and most fun deck party I experienced was on Disney with music and actors from Pirates of the Caribbean and fireworks at sea, totally amazing! Who would have thought it?

I used to sail Carnival almost exclusively, now I look around at different itineraries and offerings before booking a new cruise.

I've enjoyed all my cruises on Carnival, NCL, Disney, Celebrity and Princess. Some lines do some things better than Carnival, some just do things differently. MSC may be in my future. After I turn 70, Holland may get a booking.

When I was able to predict what the Carnival CD was about to announce, I knew it was time to move along to other lines.

It's funny that you find this other poster biased, and yet you are so blindly biased yourself you can't see the facts.

There IS a drink station.... would be a start. You CAN get your own coffee, the buffet is set up differently with multiple stations.... Royal does have twice daily service.... etc. etc.

I find it biased because the poster is. Who posts on someones experience and discredit it with their implied thoughts?

Facts?? disgusting drink station behavior, better cuts of beef, promotes self service buffet service to cut costs, royal spends more money of food costs...are these facts?

I find it biased because the poster is. Who posts on someones experience and discredit it with their implied thoughts?

Facts?? disgusting drink station behavior, better cuts of beef, promotes self service buffet service to cut costs, royal spends more money of food costs...are these facts?

I'm not in purchasing for Carnival or Royal - so I have no idea who spends more or has better cuts. But I thought Carnival had some great looking steaks, so does Royal. My guess is they are about the same. As I've been saying.

You are picking and choosing a couple items from that persons response to discredit the entire thing. Again, that is your bias speaking.

And Carnival absolutely promotes itself as self service on their buffet to cut costs vs Royal who has a ton of service personnel who get you drinks, etc. Which I liked because they get you alcoholic drinks while you enjoy the buffet. Plus they had little mini-bars setup all over the buffet for alcohol. Royal also had a lot more separate stations so there was never a line. During even semi-busy times, Carnival buffet was lines and lines, and every station was the same and highly limited. That is another fact. Thank you for pointing that one out, too. A shame you can't see it or accept it.

As I've been saying, both lines are much more similar than they are different. The people who swear one or the other is "worst ever, horrible" are generally off kilter. We had a fantastic Carnival cruise just last week, but you can certainly recognize the differences and not be a hater...

Edited by BNBR

Actually, I pointed out that the items he complained about, really did not exist in the context pointed out.

Facts?? disgusting drink station behavior, (I read it hear on the Carnival Board. I basically stated so many people complain about this, so having a waiter is better than letting guest use it. The behaviour is on all cruise lines, and anyplace there is a self serve drinks like any fast food place. This was not an insult to Carnival unless you deep down feel it's a Carnival issue.)

better cuts of beef, (New York Strip available everynight vs flank steak- this equals better cut of beef). promotes self service buffet service to cut costs, royal spends more money of food costs...are these facts?

I think any educated person knows the more people you move to a buffet, the cheaper it is for cost. Just this alone, makes it less food cost. You can also look at the menu selection and compare the items cost wise. It's like looking at a shopping list, and you can figure it out yourself.

All I wanted to do, was correct some false items. Being biased to another cruise line, is irrelevant in this case.

Our family FINALLY cruised something new this month. RC Freedom. I was SO sick of the same ole same ole on Carnival. But after the first day onboard the Freedom, I missed my 'same ole, same ole' Carnival ships!

Biggest disappointments were:

The Cruise Director and Captain doesn't keep you 'in the loop' about anything! On Carnival they are engaging you each day in the events, activities and just daily announcements. RC does not do that! Missed it :(

The buffets during in one area...the Windjammer. And it is through ONE set of doors, (that are closed and locked when buffet hours are over)completely packed away in a tight area and there will NEVER be a table for you available unless you are practically the first ones in there at opening!! Carnival has 3-4buffets open at peak times. 1-2 is right by the main pool and the other one(s) are further back inside the AC and there is ALWAYS a table available for you and your family. They have two floors of tables! Inside AND out!!! I missed that SO BAD while on the RC cruise!!

Also RC did NOT have 'help yourself' drink stations like Carnival! The crew made it for you and if you wanted coffee, you had to wait for them to make it for you. Ugh this was horrible!! Oh and it wasn't available AT ALL during the times that the Windjammer doors were closed! So if you wanted , juice, tea, coffee during the morning, day or night but not during buffet hours..too bad! You had to take an elevator to deck 5 Promenade and get it from down there! NOT convenient when you're enjoying the pool or the decks)

No 24 self-serve ice cream!!! Only open 11:30-7! (And that's if the guy in charge opens it on time...which ours was late 5 out of the 7 days).

Staterooms are ok but the attendants on Carnival are way more personable! They don't turn your room in to the 'day' room and later turn it into the 'night' room. And never any chocolate! Sorry to be petty but I missed that too! :( Oh and just forget about a welcome packet of sample amenities!! RC doesn't leave you a thing!! Not sure why but...I missed that too!

There's more I can add but my family had such excitement to try new things. See new shows. Take a 'step up' in the cruising industry...just to be terribly disappointed! I'm sure there are cruise companies that top Carnival...I am not opposed to trying others (we've done Disney and it's our top fav but it's too different for us to compare in this post on the common cruise companies) And I'm not even opposed to trying other RC cruise ships. I will just be expecting to not have the things I love the most from Carnival!!

The RC lacked the things that we find as major conveniences. And when we are on a relaxing cruise, having the convenient things available are on our top five musts!!

Bottom line...guess was NOT greener!

Booked our next Carnival for October!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

I guess you did not cruised on CCL for a long time. :p:p there is no more 24 hours ice cream and no more chocolates on your pillow. plus CCL shows become a joke .