If you're thinking of leaving Carnival

Kimnjimnkids

I travel on different lines depending on the itinerary, ship, and price.

Overall, I tend to like RCCL and Princess better, but there are very specific things I miss on Carnival that I am always happy to have when I sail them.

Each has something I love.

Princess: best passenger flow, venues, and least crowded.

RCCL: amazing ship designs - particularly like Radiance and smaller so I can always see the ocean.

Carnival: MDR food and the friendliest crews I have encountered on a consistent basis.

The only thing I take exception to in OP's post is the cruise director - I can't judge an entire line by one cruise director. The most fun cruise director I have had was on a RCCL cruise. The most boring was on a Carnival cruise. They are all so different as far as energy and involvement, I cant say one line's cruise directors are better than the others.

Nice to have choices!

I bet your 14 year old son had a different opinion. :)

LOL! You might be right !!! :0

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

I just returned from a Celebrity cruise and I do prefer it over Carnival (and RC).

The food is better and they treat you like a responsible adult with minimal announcements and a "classier" environment.

BUT

Nothing is perfect. They are also instituting cut-backs all over. The have just eliminated their "Grand Brunch".

They had no lobster night on this 5 day cruise .

Their revamped loyalty plan has greatly (greatly) increased the amount needed to reach loyalty milestones.

The entertainment was at best mediocre and there was some serious wear and tear aboard the ship.

Our cabin's bathroom door was broken (and never fixed), with the balcony door being ridiculously stiff.

It took full effort with 2 hands to get back in.

We had a hassle getting money I had put on my account prior to sailing . They wanted to credit my credit card while I wanted cash.

None of this mentions the strength of Carnival's kids programs, afternoon tea, great desserts.

There is still lobster for heavens sake on Carnival for shorter cruises (although it is very very small.

Again, we had a good time and their drink package is so much better then Carnival's but

there is still lots to love about Carnival especially if there is a difference in price.

I'm not big on brand loyalty but Carnival certainly remains on our list.

I just returned from a Celebrity cruise and I do prefer it over Carnival (and RC).

The food is better and they treat you like a responsible adult with minimal announcements and a "classier" environment.

BUT

Nothing is perfect. They are also instituting cut-backs all over. The have just eliminated their "Grand Brunch".

They had no lobster night on this 5 day cruise .

Their revamped loyalty plan has greatly (greatly) increased the amount needed to reach loyalty milestones.

The entertainment was at best mediocre and there was some serious wear and tear aboard the ship.

Our cabin's bathroom door was broken (and never fixed), with the balcony door being ridiculously stiff.

It took full effort with 2 hands to get back in.

We had a hassle getting money I had put on my account prior to sailing . They wanted to credit my credit card while I wanted cash.

None of this mentions the strength of Carnival's kids programs, afternoon tea, great desserts.

There is still lobster for heavens sake on Carnival for shorter cruises (although it is very very small.

Again, we had a good time and their drink package is so much better then Carnival's but

there is still lots to love about Carnival especially if there is a difference in price.

I'm not big on brand loyalty but Carnival certainly remains on our list.

Interesting post. Can you give any reference point (or where to look) as to the cutback in the loyalty program?

To each his own, but I think it would be a shame if someone didn't try another line when the chance makes itself available.

I didn't find the welcoming pack of gritty toothpaste and other not so usable articles in the bathroom did much to enhance my cruise.

Of all the things mentioned, the only one I find true is the Carnival MDR dinner experience as better than RCI. But that's all changing and may not be able to be considered an advantage.

RCI Windjammer may be different, but I think it is superior to Carnival Lido by far.

I don't know how anyone can compare stateroom staff. We all have the one for our sailings. You can't even know if they are as good as the ones down the hall let alone generalize them for an entire cruise line.

Having a lively Cruise Director's staff? Again, that might not even be consistent from cruise to cruise on the same ship let alone from line to line. On our two Pride cruises, we had Kirk as cruise director. He was good. On our first cruise, Gumby was activities director and events were fun. Eleven months later we had a different activities director and the main events were all dull. On a recent cruise on Explorer we had a fabulous director and assistant. The cruise director we had on Freedom (Richard Spacey) is one of the best in the business. Other RCI cruises it was okay. It isn't necessarily a "one line is always better than another, so don't sail RCI."

And, as you mentioned (and it is an important category) I believe there is no comparison for entertainment.

I'll be booking my third cruise on Pride in the next few days. I know I'll have a good time. It will be after 2.0, so I don't know if I'll like the new menu. What will you think of Carnival if the warm chocolate melting cake is not available each night on the new menus? Will that be the end of Carnival for you? I don't know if I'll have a good activities director. I don't know if my room steward will be better or worse than others I have had.

But I do know that Freedom and Explorer were great ships also and we had great cruises on each.

I understand having a good time on a Carnival cruise. I do! What I don't understand is the fairly common type of thread that seems to want to prove it, justify it, to others. Just enjoy it.

I don't quite get this "loyalty" thinking. So what, I cruise on multiple lines. I enjoy them all. Last year, I sailed with Carnival, Princess and NCL. This year, I've already sailed with Carnival and Princess. Also have a NCL booked.

It is interesting reading with different points of view.

I don't get it either.

Our family FINALLY cruised something new this month. RC Freedom. I was SO sick of the same ole same ole on Carnival. But after the first day onboard the Freedom, I missed my 'same ole, same ole' Carnival ships!

Biggest disappointments were:

The Cruise Director and Captain doesn't keep you 'in the loop' about anything! On Carnival they are engaging you each day in the events, activities and just daily announcements. RC does not do that! Missed it :(

I think many think the constant "Carnival Announcements" are annoying and disruptive to the day!!!

The buffets during in one area...the Windjammer. And it is through ONE set of doors, (that are closed and locked when buffet hours are over)completely packed away in a tight area and there will NEVER be a table for you available unless you are practically the first ones in there at opening!!

Yes, doors are closed during periords of time when the crew is cleaning and preparing. Not sure why this would be an issue? The buffet has multiple serving stations, and although it has less food choices, you have multiple islands to get it. It makes it alot easier, and eliminates the huge line. I'm also confused about the one door. They have 2 doors, on each side of the ship for access and it wraps around the aft of the ship. All cruise lines sometimes at peak times have "table" hunting.

Carnival has 3-4buffets open at peak times. 1-2 is right by the main pool and the other one(s) are further back inside the AC and there is ALWAYS a table available for you and your family. They have two floors of tables! Inside AND out!!!

You must have missed the Wipe out Cafe on the pool deck?

I missed that SO BAD while on the RC cruise!!

Also RC did NOT have 'help yourself' drink stations like Carnival! The crew made it for you and if you wanted coffee, you had to wait for them to make it for you. Ugh this was horrible!!

Not sure where you were, but RCCL has help yourself drink stations in the buffet readily available and with coffee. However, the servers will help you get the drinks also.

Oh and it wasn't available AT ALL during the times that the Windjammer doors were closed! So if you wanted , juice, tea, coffee during the morning, day or night but not during buffet hours..too bad! You had to take an elevator to deck 5 Promenade and get it from down there! NOT convenient when you're enjoying the pool or the decks)

You must have completely missed out noticing the Wipe out Cafe on the pool deck, not to mention any of the bars you can readily get beverages at.

No 24 self-serve ice cream!!! Only open 11:30-7! (And that's if the guy in charge opens it on time...which ours was late 5 out of the 7 days).

Someone really likes ice cream to notice!!!!

The food in Carnival is a LOT better!! I'm serious!! So disappointed in RC food when I've heard its the best in the industry!! Especially in the main dining room....and OMG did we miss our chocolate melting cake!!!!!!

I never noticed much difference. Quality is the same. So this is just a matter of taste. I really don't think any of the deserts, inc the choocolate melting cake is worth mentioning.

Staterooms are ok but the attendants on Carnival are way more personable! They don't turn your room in to the 'day' room and later turn it into the 'night' room. And never any chocolate! Sorry to be petty but I missed that too! :( Oh and just forget about a welcome packet of sample amenities!! RC doesn't leave you a thing!! Not sure why but...I missed that too!

Confused here. All the RCCL trips I was on, they visited 2x a day for service. Plus the last Carnival ship I was on, they never put up the bunk bed during the day, even after asking. My guess is with hundreds of attendants, this could be just a isolated miss. Happens on all ships I believe.

There's more I can add but my family had such excitement to try new things. See new shows. Take a 'step up' in the cruising industry...just to be terribly disappointed! I'm sure there are cruise companies that top Carnival...I am not opposed to trying others (we've done Disney and it's our top fav but it's too different for us to compare in this post on the common cruise companies) And I'm not even opposed to trying other RC cruise ships. I will just be expecting to not have the things I love the most from Carnival!!

The RC lacked the things that we find as major conveniences. And when we are on a relaxing cruise, having the convenient things available are on our top five musts!!

Bottom line...guess was NOT greener!

Booked our next Carnival for October!

Wasn't trying to say you are wrong, however, many of your statements, other than the free samples, and chocolate on pillow just was not correct. Sometimes, change is not good, and starting in your post, you said you missed good ole Carnival. Sometimes, for some it is better to stick with what you know and love.

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Enjoy!

Interesting post. Can you give any reference point (or where to look) as to the cutback in the loyalty program?
To quote myself "Their revamped loyalty plan has greatly (greatly) increased the amount needed to reach loyalty milestones."

To get to their first elevated level ,Select ,you used to need 5 points which could be reached in 3 cruises with ease.

Each cruise was a point with a 2nd point given for cabins at or above Concierge class.

Therefore with 3 cruise of any length ,2 of which were Concierge (a level between regular balcony and a suite) you would be at Select.

Having reached this level you also had Platinum Level enrollment in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society.

Now you get 5 points for each Concierge cruise day. You would need 30 days at Concierge to reach this level.

Thus 3 5 day cruises before, now 6 5 day cruises to reach the same level. More if not at Concierge level.

Those that have reached higher levels are complaining that their benefits have been cut .

I don't know the specifics of their issues.

BTW, Select is more or less equal (not starting an argument here) of Carnival's Gold level.

Edited by richstowe

Once upon a time there was no Diamond level and now there is. The logic of how that is a cut escapes me.

And we all know that milestone is not a level, but some will still exhume that horse. Again.

As for Princess, they haven't added a new level in forever, or 30,000+ Elite members ago. Whichever happened first.

As always, ask the fortune cookie.

OK,so now I am a little worried....my husband and I have cruised Fantasy several times and are taking our kids on their first cruise in three weeks, which will be RCI Liberty. I was looking forward to a nicer ship and more of a family environment. Hope we are not disappointed!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK,so now I am a little worried....my husband and I have cruised Fantasy several times and are taking our kids on their first cruise in three weeks, which will be RCI Liberty. I was looking forward to a nicer ship and more of a family environment. Hope we are not disappointed!

I don't think you will be disappointed at all. :)

With the kids compared to Fantasy? Don't worry at all. You will all have a blast.

This is exactly why I have a problem with the singularly slanted view of the original post about the Freedom of the Seas.

Yes, you are going to have a problem. After being on Liberty of the Seas, you may never want to go back on Fantasy again.

Have a great time!

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Just remember you are on the Carnival board so don't think you'll get unbiased opinions from some poster just as you wouldn't get unbiased opinions about Carnival on the RCI board.

Bill

After trying Disney, Princess, NCL, HAL and Carnival, Carnival is definitely our cruise line of choice. However, I have seen cutbacks in all of the lines. The first time we did HAL, the food was spectacular every night in the MDR. The second time, it tasted like nuring home food with no flavor! We have seen Carnival's MDR menu change 3 times now; I still prefer Carnival's food, but I don't think it was as good as it was 2 menus ago!

The good news is that there are lots of cruise lines out there for everyone's tastes. Some might prefer Carnival, others RCL or Princess. I do believe that the mass market cruise lines are definitely more alike than different! But for the small differences between them, to each his/her own!

Have sailed lines, and like both equally. Both have their pros and cons, but nothing that would steer me to or from one line or another. Ships, itinerary and when I can cruise is mostly the determining factor. I agree with the original OP, that Windjammers closing and not being available for drinks, etc. was a bumpier, when compared to the Lido, but there are eateries on the Promenade to make up for it. After meals we tend to do water when not indulging in the adult beverages, so this is not a deal breaker. The food is comparable overall, but the entertainment on RC is a step above, especially the ice shows. We'll still continue to sail both lines, and hopefuly next years we'll finally get on the Oasis, or maybe even the Quantum since we're just over an hour down the turnpike from Cape Liberty/Bayonne.

Please don't be worried...I promise you will love your cruise!! Even I wont be opposed to cruising with RC again...we will just try a different ship...

I made this post more for someone who , like us, have cruised often with Carnival...and have become familiar with all of the amenities and conveniences of Carnival, and then thinking that its time to 'change it up' and try a new company...but are not prepared for certain perks to be absent from this 'new experience'. Basically they're thinking that there's gotta be something better out there to try ...and for them there might be...but so far, in this experience, it didn't 'blow us away!!' That's all.

I honestly would've been thankful to know ahead of time some of the things I shared in my original post.

I didn't give RC a bad cruise review when I wrote it for cruise critic. I had way more positive things to say than negative. I came over to the Carnival boards to simply share that 'the grass isn't always greener' and I shared the reasons why I felt that way.

I'm not sure that there's a such thing as a 'bad cruise' is there? :)

Share your experience by writing a review when you get home! That's what is so awesome about these forums on cruise critic is that we get to read the opinion and experiences of others and learn a TON to hopefully help us as we plan our future cruise vacations!!

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

I SERIOUSLY doubt that you'll think that the Liberty of the Seas will offer a lesser experience than the Carnival Fantasy. In fact, I'd be surprised if you don't come back shocked at what you've been missing.

It's true. There's no perfect cruise line, and there are several things where Carnival does excel over Royal. But IMHO, when you add and subtract all the pluses and minuses, Royal comes out on top...by a fairly wide margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We will be on Liberty in a few weeks and can hardly wait! We are Platinum on Carnival, Gold on RCCL and have also cruised both NCL and Celebrity. After many Carnival cruises, we find Royal Caribbean is now a better fit for us. I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise :)

The RC Cruise Director gives numerous announcements over the PA system, on one of the TV stations on your stateroom TV every day, and it's published in the Cruise Compass daily newsletter. That's three ways to be "in the know" about what's happening on the ship. Do you think you missed one or all because you were busy enjoying yourself? :D

You said you didn't like the Windjammer. Did you try eating in the Main Dining Room? I think you would have enjoyed it.

The stateroom attendants on our cruises were very friendly. We also had amenities waiting in our stateroom upon embarkation and more if we requested it. Chocolates were on our pillows every other night but it's not a big deal to us!

We have cruised on Carnival, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. We have enjoyed each cruise for different reasons.

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your experience. Happy cruising in the future!

Edited by JimAOk1945

My DH and I took our first RCL cruise on the GOS in February. We have been on 14 Carnival cruises and decided to try the Grandeur as at the time we booked the Pride was set to leave Baltimore. We like to drive to one cruise a year and Baltimore is very convenient.

At first there was an adjustment day for us. LOL. We felt a bit out of our element and I was missing the familiar but by day 2 we had settled in and had a wonderful week. There were some things we liked better on Carnival and some things better on RCL. What we discovered is that we now will shop based on itinerary, price, and what we are looking for in the cruise.

It was good for us to try RCL as now we have more options.

Our family FINALLY cruised something new this month. RC Freedom. I was SO sick of the same ole same ole on Carnival. But after the first day onboard the Freedom, I missed my 'same ole, same ole' Carnival ships!

Royal Caribbean is my very favorite cruise line; however, I can understand it when someone is used to little things and those things are missing with a different line.

I have enjoyed my Carnival cruises.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

I SERIOUSLY doubt that you'll think that the Liberty of the Seas will offer a lesser experience than the Carnival Fantasy. In fact, I'd be surprised if you don't come back shocked at what you've been missing.

It's true. There's no perfect cruise line, and there are several things where Carnival does excel over Royal. But IMHO, when you add and subtract all the pluses and minuses, Royal comes out on top...by a fairly wide margin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Couldn't agree more.

Me too! As a result of reading this thread I have decided to not go on my upcoming RC cruise.

It's paid in full but I can't take the chance of being unhappy. I am so disappointed .