Purse strap help

Hoyaheel

I have the ebags piazza day bag.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/piazza-day-bag/94553?productid=1237312

I love this bag, it is a great travel day bag for me (I have a similar and slightly larger Pacsafe model too, if I want to be able to carry a warmth or rain layer with me) However, when I wear this bag in the summer, it rubs my skin. No problem in cooler climates since my skin is covered. But if I wear it with a sleeveless dress or tank top, it can rub on my chest/shoulder area. I can't just replace the strap since it's part of the bag on one side.

I was wondering if anyone has ideas? I thought something like a seatbelt cover (but smaller:p) might work? I have them in one of my cars that has a seat belt that used to rub me and it works great. But I'm afraid it would be unattractive.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bell-Black-memory-foam-seatbelt-pad/_/N-25bf?itemIdentifier=34877_0_0_

Any ideas? I know I could use another bag, but I do really love this bag most of the time:o

I think the car seat pad is fine and I don't think it would be unattractive. And, if you're more comfortable with it on than with it off...don't worry be comfortable. Have you tried your bag on with the padded seat belt thingy? How do you think it looks? ;) If you're okay with it...that's all that counts.:D

An actual seat belt cover would be too large, so I'd have to make something (I haven't been able to find anything similar online that is smaller but I'm still looking)

The reason I don't think moleskin would work is that the strap needs to be covered - it's really the edge that is creating the problem - so covering the "bottom" that rests on my skin wouldn't be enough.

I might send the bag to work with my husband and see if he can come up with any ideas. He's a far better seamstress than I am, and he's very good at frankensteining luggage:p

Are you wearing it cross-body? If so, stop! Wear it on one shoulder...it should just hang there!

It's a cross body bag and that's how I'm wearing it. Walking 10 miles with a bag on one shoulder is incredibly painful to me. Thank you so much for your helpful response.

What about just making a smaller cover? You can buy pre-quilted fabric at places like Joann's or Hancock's so that would provide padding and you could make the size you in a coordinating color. If you're a quilter, something more "artsy" wouldn't take long.

What about just making a smaller cover? You can buy pre-quilted fabric at places like Joann's or Hancock's so that would provide padding and you could make the size you in a coordinating color. If you're a quilter, something more "artsy" wouldn't take long.

I don't sew but that is exactly what I would have to do if I want to make a cover. I guess my question is what would that look like? And no one knows the answer so I might have to fight with the sewing machine (or ask my husband to....) to just experiment. If I use velcro it shouldn't be too complex. I worry about sliding though.....

Hi Hoyaheel, I found this "how to make a camera strap cover" for DSLR's, and I think this would also work for a purse strap.

http://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/2013/1/5/pretty-camera-strap-covers

I like the idea of making your own so you can have it coordinate with the purse. I plan on making this for my camera since that strap really irritates my neck.

Lisa

I would think that camera straps would be pretty easy since you just need to make a fabric envelope because you can unhook the strap from the camera. With my purse -I can't do that - so I'll have to be able to fasten the cover (hence mentioning velcro. I HATE making buttonholes & sewing on buttons and I'm not good with snaps or grommets)

Geeze, it's like I'm talking myself out of using this purse:p

I would think that camera straps would be pretty easy since you just need to make a fabric envelope because you can unhook the strap from the camera. With my purse -I can't do that - so I'll have to be able to fasten the cover (hence mentioning velcro. I HATE making buttonholes & sewing on buttons and I'm not good with snaps or grommets)

Geeze, it's like I'm talking myself out of using this purse:p

What about adding velcro for one of the side seams? I totally forgot that you can't take the strap off...duh. I will play around on the internet and see if I can find anything that is already made.

Found some cute ones on etsy http://www.etsy.com/search?q=seat%20belt%20cover&ship_to=US They are for seat belts, but at least they are cute. :)

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan
added website

Depending on the width of the strap, look around for some of the padded handle covers that are made for luggage. Some are neoprene, some gel. Lots of colors...

I tried the one I have at home and it fits the width of the strap but isn't long enough. I've never seen them any longer than 5-6".......

I pulled my 2 cross body bags down from my closet last night to see why one doesn't chafe and the ebags one does - the pacsafe version has a covered strap edge:D So no raw nylon strap edge on my skin.....

I have depended on strap wraps of various sorts for years to disperse weight on my shoulders (which are not healthy).

Timbuk2.com has a line of wraps in various colors. See http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/custom-strap-pad-specialty

Also, SFBags has a shoulder strap wrap, black only: http://www.sfbags.com/products/accessories/accessories.php

These wraps go around the shoulder strap and secure with velcro.

B&H Camera has a wrap by National Geographic: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731893-REG/National_Geographic_NG_A7300_A7300_Africa_Series_Padded.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Hoyaheel, Check out the "baby department" for car seat strap covers! I had a similar problem and found the typical seatbelt strap covers to be much too large for my needs. I resolved it with a baby-sized lambswool strap cover! It worked beautifully for me. Some of them are "cutesy" and some are just plain. Mine is something like this...

They measure about 2.5" x 5". Target.com sells some of these in various designs! http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=baby+car+seat+strap+covers&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_baby+car+seat+strap+covers

13296173.jpg

I have depended on strap wraps of various sorts for years to disperse weight on my shoulders (which are not healthy).

Timbuk2.com has a line of wraps in various colors. See http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/custom-strap-pad-specialty

I LOVE Timbuk2 - those strap wraps are PERFECT! Thank you so much!!! (ironically, my timbuk2 tote bag strap is one of my favorites, so I don't know why I didn't think of this - I had looked other places I know have replacement/comfort straps, but had never seen a cover like this....)

If I'd thought of it, I could have looked at B&H when we visited the store in December ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

• 4 months later...

Follow-up after using the Timbuk2 strap covers on a couple of trips now - they are PERFECT, just what I want, no more chafing!

I got a little carried away when I ordered- I got black, b&w herringbone, and bright turquoise;)

Yeah, I might have also ordered a couple new bags when I ordered the straps :o I needed a new zip top tote bag for business travel - something I can use as my personal item carry-on for the plane and then use onsite at the meetings - my other totes were either heavier than I want for airplane travel, or don't have a zip top.

They have some cute fabrics for custom bags this summer (nautical:p) but I have thus far refrained from additional purchases:rolleyes:

Yeah, I might have also ordered a couple new bags when I ordered the straps :o I needed a new zip top tote bag for business travel - something I can use as my personal item carry-on for the plane and then use onsite at the meetings - my other totes were either heavier than I want for airplane travel, or don't have a zip top.

They have some cute fabrics for custom bags this summer (nautical:p) but I have thus far refrained from additional purchases:rolleyes:

I did a custom small messenger bag from them a few years ago. Groupon actually had a deal on it, so I bit the bullet and did it. It became my work briefcase.

I see a custom Tartine in your future ;)