Statendam in Peru - Tsunami

Vict0riann

My DD boarded the Statendam yesterday in Callao, and the ship was scheduled to leave the port at 5 this evening, Peru time. Now I understand that there is a tsunami warning for the Pacific coast of South America, and I'm very worried. Does anyone know the best way to get information about what's going on with the ship?

My DD boarded the Statendam yesterday in Callao, and the ship was scheduled to leave the port at 5 this evening, Peru time. Now I understand that there is a tsunami warning for the Pacific coast of South America, and I'm very worried. Does anyone know the best way to get information about what's going on with the ship?

Try contacting Holland America. My parents were in Japan when the tsunami warnings went out & the ships immediately moved out of port to sea. They won't stay docked. They should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the reassurance - I imagine they would have been leaving right around the time of the earthquake, so hopefully, it will just be one more adventure to add to her list! She has promised to keep in touch by email, we'll wait to hear from her. Or else, tomorrow, I will get in touch with HAL.

Hi Vict0riann, here is a live feed about the earthquake in Chile: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/tsunami-warning-for-chile-sparks-evacuation-live-updates

May not be much help, but I share your concern. Best wishes - Salacia

Thanks so much for both those sites. The warning is up for another 5 hours, I guess, and it looks like a biggie. Scary. I hope everything is alright with the ship.

Vict0riann, please, may I suggest that you call Holland American and request an update. We can only gather so much info on-line, but HAL knows exactly where the ship is (hopefully, out of harms way). So sorry for your worry. Best wishes -S.

Edited by Salacia

I understand the warning has been lifted. Let us know what you hear from your daughter.

Susan

"At one point, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued several tsunami warnings. All of them, except for Chile and Peru, were later canceled. All tsunami watches -- which once extended as far north as Mexico's Pacific coast -- were called off as well." copied from http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/01/world/americas/chile-earthquake/

Thanks all. I think I will wait until the morning and then, if I haven't heard from Cathy, I'll call HAL. It seems to me it might have been the best place to be during a tsunami - on board a ship! Hope for the best.

Thanks all. I think I will wait until the morning and then, if I haven't heard from Cathy, I'll call HAL. It seems to me it might have been the best place to be during a tsunami - on board a ship! Hope for the best.

Ann I do hope all is OK and my thoughts are leaning strongly to no problem. Best place to be in a Tsunami is on a Mountain or ship at sea.

If the Captain did not make an announcement; on-board cruisers probably did not notice.

As any parent we share your concern's and our prayers for all in nature's path of reminders continue. Keep us informed.

B.

I echo what others have said re a ship at sea being the best place to be during a tsunami. I have read that it is barely noticeable when it passes under a ship. It only becomes destructive when it reaches land.

Please let us know when you hear from your daughter.

I finally gave in and called HAL. A very kind woman checked for the latest update, and said everyone was fine on the Statendam. Now we will wait to hear from her - hope she relents and buys some internet time! I have sent her an email, but of course, if she waits until they get to Manta, we won't hear for a couple of days. Thanks for everyone's help and good wishes. I guess I'm being a silly mother! Anyway, I am relieved, and they didn't laugh me off in Seattle.:)

I finally gave in and called HAL. A very kind woman checked for the latest update, and said everyone was fine on the Statendam. Now we will wait to hear from her - hope she relents and buys some internet time! I have sent her an email, but of course, if she waits until they get to Manta, we won't hear for a couple of days. Thanks for everyone's help and good wishes. I guess I'm being a silly mother! Anyway, I am relieved, and they didn't laugh me off in Seattle.:)

You're not being a "silly" mother! You're a Mother and Mothers worry about their children no matter what age they are.

I hope you hear from your daughter soon. Then you can really relax. Next time, give her some OBC, as a birthday/Christmas gift, for the specific purpose of getting internet onboard so that she can check in with you from time to time!!

You're not being a "silly" mother! You're a Mother and Mothers worry about their children no matter what age they are.

I hope you hear from your daughter soon. Then you can really relax. Next time, give her some OBC, as a birthday/Christmas gift, for the specific purpose of getting internet onboard so that she can check in with you from time to time!!

What a good idea! Thanks.:)

Glad all is fine!

If she's anything like me on vacation, she may not even be aware that anything happened if there was no cause for a captain's announcement. I know I avoid news like the plague when I'm on vacation.

I'm glad you were able to have your mind put at rest. Nothing is worse than fretting and worrying when you don't know what is going on.

Vict0riann, thanks for the update - very happy to hear all is well. Just to mention, you do know you could call your daughter using the number provided by HAL to contact a passenger on board? From what I understand, calling the ship is not terribly expensive and vice versa. Best wishes, Salacia

We are currently aboard the Statendam....we left port in Peru on schedule and never felt a thing....just want to reassure you.

Glad everything is okay with the cruise, hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the update.

Our prayers go out to those in the affected areas.

We are currently aboard the Statendam....we left port in Peru on schedule and never felt a thing....just want to reassure you.

Thanks so much for that, I had been hoping that no news was good news. I will wait and hope to hear from her from Manta!

I thought I would let you know that we heard from DD from Manta. She had no idea she had ridden out a tsunami until the next day! She's having a ball, and has met a lot of nice people. She said only 200 "new" passengers boarded in Peru, so they were ready for some "fresh blood"! For her, it's been a very last-minute cruise, so she is trying to organize some shore excursions - I imagine they will be HAL's, but she has met some people from the original roll call, and they have been helpful. She said the crew is great, the CD persuaded her to go to Trivia, which she is enjoying, the Security Officer was on her Lima tour, and the bar staff seem to remember exactly how she likes her drinks, which she thinks is amazing! So, all is well. :D

She said her stateroom is very like her last on on Volendam (LP deck), but has been updated, new counters, etc., in the bathroom, and no more old-fashioned wall-hung hair dryer. She doesn't seem to be spending much time in it!