Medical Evac at Labadee 4/1

Yeah. Surprised no one has chimed in. Big crowd watched from the deck and departure was delays about 45 min. Heard there was a jetski accident but have no confirmation. Hope individual is all right. There were about 40 folks at the meet and mingle and a bunch more didn't show up so there is a good contingent on board.

I hope the individual is ok.

When someone is airlifted from Labadee, I wonder where they would take the patient? To someplace in the DR? San Juan? Where would be the nearest reliable "trauma center" type hospital?

I hope the individual is ok.

When someone is airlifted from Labadee, I wonder where they would take the patient? To someplace in the DR? San Juan? Where would be the nearest reliable "trauma center" type hospital?

Someone was airlifted a couple weeks ago from Labadee and a few people thought Turks & Caicos.

Despite what people think, there is excellent medical care available in the DR. There are many expatriate Cuban docs there who fled the revolution, and an excellent medical education system.

If these people were evacuated to the DR, no fears about their medical care.

We were on this cruise and watched the helicopter land on the pier. It was an older gentleman and he was waving from the stretcher as they rolled him toward the helicopter. My daughter heard the overhead announcement that someone had been hurt. We were told they were flying him to a large hospital in the Dominican Republic.

Despite what people think, there is excellent medical care available in the DR. There are many expatriate Cuban docs there who fled the revolution, and an excellent medical education system.

If these people were evacuated to the DR, no fears about their medical care.

Thanks for providing this - this is good information. I was on the other thread referred to wondering where an evac from Labadee might go and never thought of the DR, even though it is the closest and probably the most logical place to consider.

Person was airlifted to the Dominican. It was a snorkeling incident (inhaled too much water) but the man was taken there as a precaution and was expect to fully recover.

I was also on this sailing and witnessed the landing from our balcony as well.. I am glad to hear that this is what it was....thank you for sharing...

Here's the chopper on the dock:

imagejpg1_zps69b72785.jpg

There was also a young girl that went missing after aquapark, her mom was freaking out (not that I blame her.) I assume they found her as I didn't hear anything else. She prob just got out and wandered off.

Edited by DrD

There was also a young girl that went missing after aquapark, her mom was freaking out (not that I blame her.) I assume they found her as I didn't hear anything else. She prob just got out and wandered off.

Last spring on HAL my 11 yr old wandered off in costa maya MX and I tried to get the HAL staff at the gangway to help me by checking the system to see if my son had checked in, and they told me to wait till they had checked back in the line of people waiting to enter. I stood there waiting for over 10 min while starting to freak out that every min that passed something could be happening to him. I was very upset the way HAL handled it- with a potentially missing child someone at the gangway should have immediately checked on my son's entrance status with the ship's computer. Those people in line could have waiting 30 seconds. Thank goodness he was back on the ship. I always say the true test of a company's service is how they handle a problem.

Person was airlifted to the Dominican. It was a snorkeling incident (inhaled too much water) but the man was taken there as a precaution and was expect to fully recover.

Good to hear this news!

DrD - Did you make it to the Meet and Mingle? Never got to meet you!

Yeah. Surprised no one has chimed in. Big crowd watched from the deck and departure was delays about 45 min. Heard there was a jetski accident but have no confirmation. Hope individual is all right. There were about 40 folks at the meet and mingle and a bunch more didn't show up so there is a good contingent on board.

I can well imagine a jet ski accident, there is some shallow corral in the area where they run those. I much more enjoyed the ride at CocoCay as far as the jet skis.

That's one thing about the pier there I didn't consider (have been there since 08) I would have to guess they designed the pier so that there is room for a helicopter.

The odd thing is that the ship preped for a landing on the helio deck, all of the railings and the mast were folded down. I watched the crew put them all back up after we were under way. I wonder if the chopper pilot had the option of the helio pad or the pier, they circled around the Freedom before landing on the pier.

The odd thing is that the ship preped for a landing on the helio deck, all of the railings and the mast were folded down. I watched the crew put them all back up after we were under way. I wonder if the chopper pilot had the option of the helio pad or the pier, they circled around the Freedom before landing on the pier.

The helicopter pilot does have the option to choose his landing spot. The ship's captain made the order to prepare the helipad for a landing but the decision to land is almost always going to be the pilot's to make.