New Diamond Event policy

We were on the Freedom last week and for happy hour our cards were provided with 3 drinks we could get at any bar between the hours of 4:30 and 8:00. This was done so we didn't need to go to the Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge, although those were available too.

I was told this was only the second week they were doing this. Does anyone know which other ships do this?

A recent passenger on the Explorer also mentioned this. I'll know for sure next month! ;)

I'll know later this month on Serenade and will report back then.

I hope this is so as we are travelling with another couple who are just C&A Emerald members so they won't be able to go into the DL with us. If so we can still be with them at another bar and still take advantage of our Diamond drinks benifits.

Edited by robtulipe

I'll be on Oasis next weekend and will find out as well. I'm diamond, but my mom is D+ and we'll have my kids with me, so if I can just stop at any bar and get a drink instead of having to head to the Diamond Lounge, I would definitely use them. If I have to go to the lounge, I doubt I'll have many drinks the entire week.

We were on the Independence 3/15 to 3/23/14 and they also loaded 3 drinks onto your card. The bars had a list of drinks that were included - and Canadian Club was not included but Jameson's and Jack Daniels (which costs twice as much as CC in the store) were. Also, if you had drinks in the Diamond Lounge, they did not count against your 3 drinks.

We were on the Freedom last week and for happy hour our cards were provided with 3 drinks we could get at any bar between the hours of 4:30 and 8:00. This was done so we didn't need to go to the Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge, although those were available too.

I was told this was only the second week they were doing this. Does anyone know which other ships do this?

We were on the Ex last week and I had the drinks pre-loaded on my card. It is a very nice perk, but beware that frozen drinks are not included as per bartenders and guest services. I asked for a BBC (bailey's, banana & coconut) and was told that drink was not included, although Bailey's is on the list. I was also told that if I ordered a rum and coke I'd have to pay for the coke. Really??? I can't believe if I was in the Diamond lounge I'd have to pay for the coke.

Don't know how it's done on other ships.

We were on the Ex last week and I had the drinks pre-loaded on my card. It is a very nice perk, but beware that frozen drinks are not included as per bartenders and guest services. I asked for a BBC (bailey's, banana & coconut) and was told that drink was not included, although Bailey's is on the list. I was also told that if I ordered a rum and coke I'd have to pay for the coke. Really??? I can't believe if I was in the Diamond lounge I'd have to pay for the coke.

Don't know how it's done on other ships.

Do you happen to remember what wines were on the list? I know usually in the lounge it's Chardonnay or Merlot. Hoping maybe there are more choices at the bars.

Now I am confused because the title says Diamond Event, but those only exist on ships without Diamond Lounges. :confused:

So is this just fleetwide for all Diamond and above members, only ships that have a DL, or select ships at this time?

I was also told that if I ordered a rum and coke I'd have to pay for the coke. Really??? I can't believe if I was in the Diamond lounge I'd have to pay for the coke.

On the Freedom they did serve rum & diet coke at the bars without charging. But one woman told us she tried to get a triple Baily's on the rocks and the bar tender didn't know how to handle it.

I found that if you give your card and a cash tip when ordering they don't give a receipt. If you don't give a cash tip they will give you a receipt that is 0.00 but has a place to write in a tip.

Do you happen to remember what wines were on the list? I know usually in the lounge it's Chardonnay or Merlot. Hoping maybe there are more choices at the bars.

The Chardonnay and Cabernet were St Martin and were very nice for house wine. Merlot may have been the same. They offered Pinot Grigio and I don't remember the brand and also Beringer White Zin.

The Chardonnay and Cabernet were St Martin and were very nice for house wine. Merlot may have been the same. They offered Pinot Grigio and I don't remember the brand and also Beringer White Zin.

Thanks. I like white, but not Chardonnay so I will be happy if a Pinot Grigio is offered. If not, no big deal. I'll just buy my glass of wine as I always do.

Now I am confused because the title says Diamond Event, but those only exist on ships without Diamond Lounges. :confused:

The Diamond event refers to the happy hour time. The drinks on the card are the same hours the lounges are open. Supposedly, any left unused at 8:00PM turned into pumpkins.

So is this just fleetwide for all Diamond and above members, only ships that have a DL, or select ships at this time?

That's why I asked the question. I was wondering if they were testing this on one ship, a few ships or if it was fleet wide.

Thanks. I like white, but not Chardonnay so I will be happy if a Pinot Grigio is offered. If not, no big deal. I'll just buy my glass of wine as I always do.

Try the Chardonnay. You may be pleasantly surprised. I don't normally care for it, but, this was nice. And, nothing like a free taste test.

That's why I asked the question. I was wondering if they were testing this on one ship, a few ships or if it was fleet wide.

Your input is appreciated. This new method of drink vouches complimenting the lounge times seems to be getting more popular. I hope RCI decides that it goes fleetwide.

Your input is appreciated. This new method of drink vouches complimenting the lounge times seems to be getting more popular. I hope RCI decides that it goes fleetwide.

The policy is fine, as long as access to the lounges is not curtailed!

I can understand why.

The lounges were hardly ever full. The concierge lounge had kids each evening. I am sure they were from the suites so the suite guests probably liked it because there were almost always seats available. And no old D+ complaining about kids in the lounge!

How do you know they are doing this for your particular ship. As discussed first it started with the Indy, then I head Explorer and now the Freedom.

I'll be on the Adventure next week - so if they are rolling this out slowly ship by ship, is there a note in your room tell you there are drinks on your cards. I'm sure I'll be using the CL as I'm not a fan of the drinks at the lounge (I like the Hors d'oeuvre - they put out those yummy chocolate cookies). :D

We were on the Independence 3/15 to 3/23/14 and they also loaded 3 drinks onto your card. The bars had a list of drinks that were included - and Canadian Club was not included but Jameson's and Jack Daniels (which costs twice as much as CC in the store) were. Also, if you had drinks in the Diamond Lounge, they did not count against your 3 drinks.

We were just on IOS B2B and they were doing this for only 3 cruises during Spring Break. This week is the last of 3.

We were able to have 2 choices of white wine at the bars. Not just the 1 St Martin white. Pinot Grigio is our favorite not given out in the CL/DL, but available at the bars, so that worked for us!!!

It worked very well I think. :) You could go to the CL/DL for drinks & food or use your 3 free drinks at the bars and go back for more to CL/DL if you wish........seating wasn't an issue then and the over flow lounges were then open for other passengers that pay!

Just trying to clarify the jargon that causes endless confusion - the original poster used the term Diamond Event in reference to the drink situation on Freedom.

As used by RC, Diamond Event refers only to the D parties on ships without a Diamond Lounge. These events do not include beer and soda, which might be the cause of confusion about rum and coke.

Nitpicking here, but if the term Diamond Event is used to refer to anything on a ship with a D Lounge, there will be some confusion.

I was on Serenade last week and we did not get the vouchers. Serenade has both a Diamond Club and Concierge Lounge. Both were empty most of the time. Explorer does not have a DC and so I think it works great for them as their Diamond Event. Navigator had the vouchers last week. I'm on Indy in a few weeks for an 8 night and then the TA. I'm sure there will be tons of D and above. I'll be very surprised if we don't have the vouchers.

The policy is fine, as long as access to the lounges is not curtailed!

Agreed agreed. I think this is an excellent way of addressing the overcrowding that sometimes occurs in the lounge on certain sailings. Some people would clearly prefer to get their free drinks elsewhere, and I'm glad they are being permitted to do so on certain ships.

Edited by Dave85

Concierge lounge very small we had one of the 3 couple grab our seats by 4:30 because there are a lot of Dplus people on explorer and if the suite people come with kids it can be way over crowed.

There is no diamond lounge on the explorer they use the maharaja theatre or the 19th hole and neither one is private but on the refurb they will add diamond lounge.

I like the ability to have the 3 drinks anywhere because I can go before or after dinner and as someone said if you have other levels of crown and anchor people sailing you it allows u to drink with them

The idea of the 3 drinks loaded onto your card, on the larger class ships in the fleet, is an indication to me, that, if the trial goes well, it will become fleetwide. Why, because they are now doing it on ships that have both a CL and a DL. I understand that this started on the Explorer, without a DL, but the same program is happening on ships with both a CL and DL.

Is Royal Caribbean setting us up..........to have the DL become the D+L, the CL then reserved for suite guests and Pinnacle Club members only, and the D's left with 3 free drinks per evening in any bar of their choosing?

There have been so many revisions coming from Corporate, from revamping the Next Cruise program, raising prices, giving upgrades to people that love to spend money gambling, but not high D+'s and Pinnacle Club members.

All lines need to make money, and Mr. Goldstein has done a commendable job in helping make RCL's stock jump to the highest level ever, I believe.

However, with all of this uncertainty, some of us old time loyal to Royal guests are beginning to wonder........what's next?

Otherwise, why would they be giving out free drinks in any bar to Diamond members and up?

I look forward to hearing opinions!:)

Rick

Edited by rubrrick
Added verbage

The idea of the 3 drinks loaded onto your card, on the larger class ships in the fleet, is an indication to me, that, if the trial goes well, it will become fleetwide. Why, because they are now doing it on ships that have both a CL and a DL. I understand that this started on the Explorer, without a DL, but the same program is happening on ships with both a CL and DL.

Is Royal Caribbean setting us up..........to have the DL become the D+L, the CL then reserved for suite guests and Pinnacle Club members only, and the D's left with 3 free drinks per evening in any bar of their choosing?

There have been so many revisions coming from Corporate, from revamping the Next Cruise program, raising prices, giving upgrades to people that love to spend money gambling, but not high D+'s and Pinnacle Club members.

All lines need to make money, and Mr. Goldstein has done a commendable job in helping make RCL's stock jump to the highest level ever, I believe.

However, with all of this uncertainty, some of us old time loyal to Royal guests are beginning to wonder........what's next?

Otherwise, why would they be giving out free drinks in any bar to Diamond members and up?

I look forward to hearing opinions!:)

Rick

JMO, but I believe D and D+ will only be allowed to use the D lounge in the near future and Pinnacle and Suite guests will use the CL lounge. I think the drink vouchers are to get D and D+ eased into knowing the D lounge is going to be very crowded very very soon. Again JMO.