Service Charges on NCL

Shacky316

This discussion is generally talking about this side of the pond, your argument is absolutely valid for UK bookings. I challenge anyone to find discretionary mentioned in the FAQ's regarding the DSC on the U.S. site?

Ok, let me meet your challenge. www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ncl/welcomeaboard_suites/. That is the official NCL welcome aboard booklet for the US. Pay close attention to page 13. You will notice the service charge is DISCRETIONARY. No, it's not FAQ, but it is current and more reliable than any FAQ imo.

It's also referred to as a 'discretionary service charge' in many onboard information papers. Cruised three times last month and saw it many, many times. Not sure what more you need to be convinced.

A person could adjust the discretionary service charge for many reasons. They feel it is too high. They prefer to tip in cash. Lots of reasons. How a person chooses to spend THEIR money is not dependent on if YOU find it justifiable or not. In other words, your opinion does not matter when I am spending my money.

Ok. Economics 101. If enough of YOU don't pay the price (DSC) goes up for the rest of US so NCL can make the projected revenue for this purpose.

In other words we pay your share.

Have you ever gone to dinner with a group and "Uncle Bob and Aunt Mildred" leave $1 and you geel bad for the waiter so instead if 20% you leave more.

You say, that's my choice.

Well, maybe the restaurant charged a group gratuity and the Aunt and Uncle didn't pony up. Someone HAS TO.

So many of these threads says SERVICE is the reason. It blows my mind so many of YOU, I mean THEM anticipate bad service. So glad I anticipate the opposite.

BUT your post says ok if they feel the price is too high. That is just BS. What if your cruise fare is too high? Or that loaf of bread? Do you say "nah, ain 't paying"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, let me meet your challenge. www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ncl/welcomeaboard_suites/. That is the official NCL welcome aboard booklet for the US. Pay close attention to page 13. You will notice the service charge is DISCRETIONARY. No, it's not FAQ, but it is current and more reliable than any FAQ imo.

It's also referred to as a 'discretionary service charge' in many onboard information papers. Cruised three times last month and saw it many, many times. Not sure what more you need to be convinced.

And the remainder of that same paragraph in the suite booklet that you quoted continues on to say:

"In the unlikely event that we can't resolve your issue, you can have the service charge adjusted on board."

I will acknowledge that it in fact is posted that way in the suite booklet. Since about 5-10% of guests receive this booklet and 100% have access to the FAQ's, I would say the FAQ's win. Of course your opinion is that the minority answer suits you and will be the one you go with. I think you actually know that NCL's intent is for everyone to pay the DSC and ask for adjustments to occur on board so the issue causing the adjustment can be fixed.

Your claim that removing the discretionary service charge forces the staff to 'turn in' all cash tips is not a fact. However, assuming it is true, then the cash you hand out goes into the pool and the situation remains the same.

Yup, the tip makes up the majority of the crew's income. I believe that is pretty common knowledge. Just like any waiter in most restaurants across America. Guess what, if they provide poor service their tips go down, which means their income goes down.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that I gave a misleading answer. My answer is just the opposite.

its a fact except on the poa where state law makes it illegal

... Don't shoot the messenger

Directly from the NCL Guest Ticket Contract link

Quote "© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge, which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the

service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet wide crew welfare programs."

Here's my own FAQ:

Q: Can I adjust the Daily Service Charge (DSC)

A: Yes, you may adjust the Daily Service Charge. However, you are discouraged from doing so and should bring up any service issues with Guest Services or the Hotel Director (when they happen and not onthe last night of your cruise) to give NCL the opportunity to correct the problem.

Q: Is the Daily Service Charge a gratuity?

A: No. The Daily Service Charge is... a service charge NOT a gratuity. Why? Because a gratuity is paid 100% to servers and may not be withheld by the employer. However, a service charge differs in that a portion may be withheld by the employer. As the Guest Ticket Contract and NCL's website both state, this is exactly what NCL and other lines are doing with the service charge. A portion is withheld for "crew welfare programs", distributed at their discretion, etc. Hence... It's a service charge not a gratuity/tip.

Q: Will I burn in the 7th circle of perdition if I remove all of the Daily Service Charge?

A: Yes, you will go to the 7th circle of perdition where you will push a giant boulder uphill in smoldering heat for eternity if you are a resident of the United Status, Canada, and anywhere where tipping is customary.

Q: Can I remove a portion of the Daily Service Charge without burning in perdition?

A. Depends. In the unlikely event that NCL is unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you have the option/choice/discretion to reduce the DSC. However, you should keep in mind General Tipping Guidelines and recognize that it is improper etiquette to tip nothing even for poor service. e.g. If you have the worse cruise in the world you would still leave $4 per person per day for poor service, $8 per person per day for adequate service, $12 per person per day for good service, and give extra over and above for exceptional service.

Edited by kylenyc

A person could adjust the discretionary service charge for many reasons. They feel it is too high. They prefer to tip in cash. Lots of reasons. How a person chooses to spend THEIR money is not dependent on if YOU find it justifiable or not. In other words, your opinion does not matter when I am spending my money.

My opinion doesn't matter in a lot of areas but I will still express it:). (And you forgot one- they prefer not to tip at all;).) I believe that the staff on board deserves every penny that they earn. If someone tips in cash they cannot replicate the distribution of the service charge, so some staff will not be compensated. If they are okay with knowing that and still want to reduce the service charge then so be it but I can still have the opinion that they aren't justified in what they are doing.

Us cruisers who book from Australia pay more for each cruise & in the case of a cruise I am booked on (another line but one who also has similar service charge) they are offering a special for all bookings, of a free drinks package or so many$ OBC. When I enquired about these special offers I was advised 'no, they're not available if you booked from Australia. So as we already pay more for our cruise I assume service charge has been factored in.

And the remainder of that same paragraph in the suite booklet that you quoted continues on to say:

"In the unlikely event that we can't resolve your issue, you can have the service charge adjusted on board."

I will acknowledge that it in fact is posted that way in the suite booklet. Since about 5-10% of guests receive this booklet and 100% have access to the FAQ's, I would say the FAQ's win. Of course your opinion is that the minority answer suits you and will be the one you go with. I think you actually know that NCL's intent is for everyone to pay the DSC and ask for adjustments to occur on board so the issue causing the adjustment can be fixed.

Sorry bud, you lose this one. NCL describes it as a discretionary service charge in many, many different places. Putting your fingers in your ears and saying 'nah nah nah' I can't hear you isn't gonna change that simple fact.

I guess you haven't cruised recently with NCL because it is called discretionary in the Freestyle Daily and other papers that are distributed to the cabins. I cruised three times last month, on three different NCL ships, so my information is current. Yours, not so much.

I am not sure, but I don't think they print up a different Freestyle Daily exclusively for the suite guests........

Edited by Love my butler

If a person feels a the Service Charge (it is not referred to as a "tip" on NCL) is too high, they should not be cruising in the first place as anyone who takes 2 seconds to read about cruising knows it is an expectation when taking a cruise.

That is simply your opinion and it is not shared by NCL because they allow you to adjust the discretionary service charge for any reason you choose. Between you and NCL, I will go with NCL's opinion. No offense.

Actually, that is NCL's (and ever other cruise lines) opinion as well as that is the only thing in writing. If you care to show where NCL encourages people to pull their DSC so they can pay in cash (yea, love that rationalization) or any other bogus reason, feel free to post it. Otherwise, any other excuse is just a rationalization that certain cruisers use to help them sleep at night.

There is a simple solution to all this banter about tipping.

Simply raise the cruise fare $12 a day and no crew member gets stiffed !

Now that the standard has been set you can feel free to tip more for better

excellent service and if the service was not up to par do nothing or visit

the Hotel Director to complain and seek a resolution without worrying

about or shorting the DSC/gratuity/tipping.

Of course in the interest of better customer service you should visit the

Hotel Director so that bad customer service does not go unchecked.

Let the Hotel Director short the salary/tip of the problem individual.

At the end of the cruise no gratuities to worry about except those that

you want to commend. A zero balance on the sail and sign account

unless you bought something in the gift shop/duty free - specialty

restaurant - but NOTHING to worry about tips and gratuities.

So my answer make the tips and gratuities all inclusive with the cruise fare

Yeah I know I am upsetting tradition - but times are changing - this is

not your stuffed shirt (tux) Cunard cruise line of excellence !

Believe it NCL started FREESTYLE cruising ! Let's cruise Free of decisions -

To Tip or Not to Tip !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Thank you Love my butler ... for being the voice of reason.

I can't believe the number of posters who think they know why other cruisers want to lower their DSC.

My problem with many cruise lines is they fly flags of convenience (being registered in foreign countries to circumvent labor laws etc.) Cruise prices are advertised low to get vacationers to buy in, then they go onboard to be pressured to tip to make up for wages that the cruise line doesn't want to pay. If you want me to tip generously, like many believe Americans do, then fly the American flag on the boat - don't register it in Bahamas or Panama.

Don't hire people from 3rd world countries, pay them 3rd world wages, then expect me as a vacationer to feel guilty and make up the difference.

To Tip or Not to Tip !

I completely agree and wish this was implemented across the board. The only people cruise lines would lose would be the ones who could no longer rationalize their way out of paying what they should have been paying (and were expected to pay) in the first place.

Okie dokie. Please show me a reliable source that proves it's a fact. If you can't, it's simply your opinion. Take all the time you need to quote the source.

P.S. Some guy on CC who heard from his barber that it happened, 6 years ago is not a reliable source.

From a recent study:

More likely than facts changing ones attitude, it's been found that,

for people with strong beliefs,

attitude will change the facts.

I can't believe the number of posters who think they know why other cruisers want to lower their DSC.

My problem with many cruise lines is they fly flags of convenience (being registered in foreign countries to circumvent labor laws etc.) Cruise prices are advertised low to get vacationers to buy in, then they go onboard to be pressured to tip to make up for wages that the cruise line doesn't want to pay. If you want me to tip generously, like many believe Americans do, then fly the American flag on the boat - don't register it in Bahamas or Panama.

Don't hire people from 3rd world countries, pay them 3rd world wages, then expect me as a vacationer to feel guilty and make up the difference.

Actually the staff makes 2 to 4 times more working for the cruise line than they would in their home country. They are only "third world wages" to those of us in the States (and I might point out that a person that joins the US military starts off at $1700 a month, and the starting pay for cruise line staff is $1500 to $2000 depending on the position so maybe they aren't third world wages at all). Whether you cruise with NCL or any of the other mainstream lines you will be expected to pay the income for the staff either through a service charge or tips.

Actually the staff makes 2 to 4 times more working for the cruise line than they would in their home country. They are only "third world wages" to those of us in the States (and I might point out that a person that joins the US military starts off at $1700 a month, and the starting pay for cruise line staff is $1500 to $2000 depending on the position so maybe they aren't third world wages at all). Whether you cruise with NCL or any of the other mainstream lines you will be expected to pay the income for the staff either through a service charge or tips.

They chose to work for the cruise line because it is better than what they have available at home. Do their home countries have the same tipping customs? I think not. Where is this custom coming from?

If the cruise lines want to call it a service charge then advertise it is as such and there would be no debate. Put it right beside the cruise price like how airlines breakdown their fuel surcharge and security fees etc. The problem I have is cruiselines calling it discretionary or a tip and letting passengers discover it on their sailing.

A starting salary of a US military service person isn't comparable. The salaries are lower because they get compensated by the respect and admiration from the rest of the non-American world. Who doesn't love Captain America?

I completely agree and wish this was implemented across the board. The only people cruise lines would lose would be the ones who could no longer rationalize their way out of paying what they should have been paying (and were expected to pay) in the first place.

I second that. Build the service charge into the final price. Cruise prices are price inelastic and there are more than enough exuberant tippers as evidenced on this forum to compensate for the loss in any under tipping customers. Win win for all!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I really hate to weigh in on tipping threads, many of you have heard my explanations before, so I will not belabor whether or not to remove DSC, I will just comment on some things that have been stated in this thread:

DMH15: The thought that many people removing DSC would drive up the cost of a cruise is just not correct. The cruise lines are not required to make up the lost income to crew for removed DSC, as is clearly stated in the employment contract. Now, will it affect the turnover rate of the crew, and adversely affect service? Most probably.

LMB: From my days working at NCL, I remember that this is true for cash tips given in lieu of DSC. Those who tip additionally to DSC, that money belongs to whomever it was given to.

Real Name: Unfortunately, this most likely won't happen. The DSC is a device where the lines keep the ticket price down to attract customers, and also to generate a team concept within the service staff, where one crew's poor performance could result in everyone on the team losing money, and a way for the lines to say "we didn't cut your pay, it was the customer".

Zackster: While I am and always have been a supporter of US flag shipping, and I applaud your desire to change the industry towards that, it just isn't going to happen, for one major reason. Money. Just making the DSC mandatory, and hiring US crew would drive a cruise line into bankruptcy in a year. What with minimum wages, labor laws, health care, training, and liability insurance (probably the largest cost of US crew), the ticket price would have to double, at least, to make money. What percentage of the customer base would be lost then? I've worked with both international and US crew on cruise ships, so I know the differences in labor costs. And I could start another thread on the additional regulatory costs for US ships.

And Zackster, the money from the DSC is not disclosed in the employment contract as "tips". It specifies a fixed wage, and a wage from DSC, which is stated as possibly being reduced by customer request.

Again, folks, I won't advise one way or the other, I've had enough of that. I'm just here for the facts.

Edited by chengkp75

Real Name: Unfortunately, this most likely won't happen. The DSC is a device where the lines keep the ticket price down to attract customers, and also to generate a team concept within the service staff, where one crew's poor performance could result in everyone on the team losing money, and a way for the lines to say "we didn't cut your pay, it was the customer".

Zackster: While I am and always have been a supporter of US flag shipping, and I applaud your desire to change the industry towards that, it just isn't going to happen, for one major reason. Money. Just making the DSC mandatory, and hiring US crew would drive a cruise line into bankruptcy in a year. What with minimum wages, labor laws, health care, training, and liability insurance (probably the largest cost of US crew), the ticket price would have to double, at least, to make money. What percentage of the customer base would be lost then? I've worked with both international and US crew on cruise ships, so I know the differences in labor costs. And I could start another thread on the additional regulatory costs for US ships.

And Zackster, the money from the DSC is not disclosed in the employment contract as "tips". It specifies a fixed wage, and a wage from DSC, which is stated as possibly being reduced by customer request.

Again, folks, I won't advise one way or the other, I've had enough of that. I'm just here for the facts.

Thank you for presenting clear responses rather than emotionally charged replies as others have done.

I am aware why cruise lines don't fly flags of developed nations with enforceable labor laws. I also understand as you mentioned why the DSC can't be made mandatory. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I am opposed to cruise lines transferring this hidden cost of cruising on to passengers. Charge it at the time of booking. Bold and highlight it on the brochures next to the cruise price. The people who post on this forum appear to be seasoned cruisers. I've encountered many new cruisers who weren't aware until they got on the boat that they had to tip this amount. Then when they post here all the snotty tipping enforcers jump all over them. And of course the argument whether it is a service charge (implies mandatory) as NCL calls it or discretionary tipping (Princess).

Is it excessive, probably not if one knew prior to booking. But so long as it remains discretionary I'm not going to sit on my high horse and judge others on why they want to reduce or remove.

To Tip or Not to Tip !

Raising the fare 12$/day would get the crew about 8- 8.50 a day.

There is the problem with that idea.

And...the service charge isn't a tip.

As an FYI, starting pay for an E1 (under 4 months) is only $1,416.30 per month. So, if a cruise member is making $1,500 to $2,000 a month, they are making more than the men and women who are putting their lives on the line daily to keep this country safe. Frightening, isn't it?

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/militarypaytables.html

Edited by Out to sea!

Raising the fare 12$/day would get the crew about 8- 8.50 a day.

There is the problem with that idea.

And...the service charge isn't a tip.

I'm curious how you come up with the $12 per day being reduced to $8 -8.50. It's something that has been said by some, but when you examine the facts it doesn't hold any water.

It's not taxes, because taxes are overwhelming levied on profits, not gross revenues, and as long as the money is paid out to the crew it doesn't generate profits.

It's not travel agent commission, because the cruise lines can make this part of the non-commissionable fare (As a former travel agency owner I can assure you they can make whatever they want non-commissionable). If you opt to prepay your service charge under the current voluntary prepayment system that money does not generate travel agent commissions.

It's not the expense of processing the money through credit cards as the vast majority of cruisers already pay their on board charges via credit card.

It has nothing to do with payroll taxes, benefits, etc. as long as the cruise ships are foreign-flagged.

If anything you could actually charge slightly less than $12 per day to generate the same total pool of money because making it part of the fare eliminates the reduction in the pool caused by the passengers who eliminate or reduce their service charge when on board.

Edited by njhorseman

I'm curious how you come up with the $12 per day being reduced to $8 -8.50. It's something that has been said by some, but when you examine the facts it doesn't hold any water.

It's not taxes, because taxes are overwhelming levied on profits, not gross revenues, and as long as the money is paid out to the crew it doesn't generate profits.

It's not travel agent commission, because the cruise lines can make this part of the non-commissionable fare (As a former travel agency owner I can assure you they can make whatever they want non-commissionable). If you opt to prepay your service charge under the current voluntary prepayment system that money does not generate travel agent commissions.

It's not the expense of processing the money through credit cards as the vast majority of cruisers already pay their on board charges via credit card.

It has nothing to do with payroll taxes, benefits, etc. as long as the cruise ships are foreign-flagged.

If anything you could actually charge slightly less than $12 per day to generate the same total pool of money because making it part of the fare eliminates the reduction in the pool caused by the passengers who eliminate or reduce their service charge when on board.

Maybe the difference is going towards their incentive program?

I remember at one of the Q&A on board they mentioned that their incentive program gives the crew 'parties' monthly as well as other things that I just can't remember.

Harriet

They chose to work for the cruise line because it is better than what they have available at home. Do their home countries have the same tipping customs? I think not. Where is this custom coming from?

If the cruise lines want to call it a service charge then advertise it is as such and there would be no debate. Put it right beside the cruise price like how airlines breakdown their fuel surcharge and security fees etc. The problem I have is cruiselines calling it discretionary or a tip and letting passengers discover it on their sailing.

A starting salary of a US military service person isn't comparable. The salaries are lower because they get compensated by the respect and admiration from the rest of the non-American world. Who doesn't love Captain America?

It is. DSC = Daily Service Charge. I guess the debate is over! Yea!! :)

NCL does not promote or even suggest changing the DSC for any reason other than a having a problem on your cruise that could not be remedied.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

* Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

*How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

*Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

*How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

*At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

*Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

*If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Maybe the difference is going towards their incentive program?

I remember at one of the Q&A on board they mentioned that their incentive program gives the crew 'parties' monthly as well as other things that I just can't remember.

Harriet

But the same money can go to the incentives regardless of whether it's folded into the fare or collected on board. Same $$ in = same $$ out, regardless of when collected. The $12 doesn't generate $12 in cash to the crew today, nor would it then.