Question about Qantas Airlines

We are taking a Qantas international flight from LAX to SYD. They say the carry on bag maximum weight is 15 lbs. Mine ways about 10lbs dry. I put a few things in me carry on and it weighs out at 22 lbs. Does anyone know if Qantas weighs the carry on bags?

We are taking a Qantas international flight from LAX to SYD. They say the carry on bag maximum weight is 15 lbs. Mine ways about 10lbs dry. I put a few things in me carry on and it weighs out at 22 lbs. Does anyone know if Qantas weighs the carry on bags?

Not in my experience with them - I've never been asked to have my carryon weighed

They are more likely to be interested in the dimensions of carryon luggage to ensure people don't try to bring on large bags

It will also depend on the class you are travelling in - they'll always be a bit more forgiving of those in the premium classes such as Business

Ours were weighed last time we were in LAX about to board our Qantas flight back to Brisbane.

We carry weighing scales with us, thank goodness, so I always ensure all our luggage does't weigh more than the allowance, (7kg for carry on).

If your bag is over they will ask you to remove the extra kgs and by this time you've checked your other luggage in and you're well and truely stuck with nowhere to put those extra kilos of 'stuff'... ;)

Jill:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

I can't comment on Qantas, but will say that travelling around the Sth Pacific I have had my carry-on weighed many times.

Airlines seem to be becoming more and more strict around such issues. On my recent Air NZ flight from LA to Auckland, I watched as literally dozens of passengers were ordered to check-in their carry-on because it was too heavy.

I have never had my carry on bag weighed on international flights including Qantas except in China. The main thing is to make sure the dimensions of the bag are within the limit. You can also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag or overcoat and you would be amazed what you can fit in the pockets if you need to.

You can check in 2 bags though coming from the US so maybe do that instead even if 1 is only half full.

I've never had my carryon weighed by QANTAS either, it must be random or if it looks heavy.

Weights are determined by passengers, luggage and carry on luggage then the correct amount of fuel is put in the plane after the weights are worked out.

On cheap airlines they are very strict on carry on over weight because they only fuel up the amount they need, if you are stopped and charged for your overweight then that is calculated in the planes total weight for correct fuel..

Full service airlines like Qantas are not so strict especially on long haul as they carry extra fuel but domestic is a bit more strict sometimes even with Qantas.

I wouldnt worry people take on huge suitcases and jam them in the overhead lockers. No one seems to care . These days you could bring a baby elephant on board and if it will fit in the overhead locker then no one seems to care .

You see the first airline to actually enforce weight or size of luggage carried on board becomes the bad boy and loses out with bad PR that just drives people to other airlines.

We flew the LAX - Melb flight 5 days ago and the check in at Qantas was checking in both the Melbourne and Sydney flights.

They did not even look at what carry on we had, let alone weigh it.

Airlines seem to be becoming more and more strict around such issues.

That's my experience also. They seem to now always ask to see your carry on & I guess if it looks 'big' they weigh it.

I once had to re-pack my carry-on (into my to be checked bag) on a flight to Singapore, after my carry on was over 7kg. I said "the bag weighs something, even empty". The check-in agent said "that doesn't help when it hits someone on the head".

I have seen some people rock up to the gate with clearly oversize carry-on, only to have to check it. In Sydney Int, there are spiral slippery dips down to ground level at each gate, so they can send on down your oversize/weight carryons :eek:

That said, in USA anything goes!

Thanks for your answers, however I am still a little confused. My bag doesn't look overweight, I don't have the extension zipper extended. We are going on a month long cruise plus four days in Sydney so we are taking two full size suit cases in addition to the two carry-ons. We are not taking on the second carry-on bag however we will have empty shopping bags in our carry-on just in case they make us take some weight out. I just weighed my carry-on and it weighs 10.2lbs empty (4.6kg). It's too late to get a lighter weight bag as we are leaving for the airport this afternoon. I'll cross my fingers and hope Qantas doesn't want to weigh it. See you down under!

Thanks for your answers, however I am still a little confused. My bag doesn't look overweight, I don't have the extension zipper extended. We are going on a month long cruise plus four days in Sydney so we are taking two full size suit cases in addition to the two carry-ons. We are not taking on the second carry-on bag however we will have empty shopping bags in our carry-on just in case they make us take some weight out. I just weighed my carry-on and it weighs 10.2lbs empty (4.6kg). It's too late to get a lighter weight bag as we are leaving for the airport this afternoon. I'll cross my fingers and hope Qantas doesn't want to weigh it. See you down under!

On Qantas you are allowed 2 x suitcases each and 1 x carry on each as well as a personal item such as a coat or handbag. If they think the carry on is too heavy they will just check it in.

Hope the flight went well. Keen to hear how you got on!

My carry on is 1.4kg empty. I bought a premium light one just for that reason. But them I am one of those annoying people who travel with a carry on for a fortnight :D and still come home with unworn clothes!!

The official baggage weight and size limits don't seem to be enforced on a regular basis at all. Sometimes they rigorously check all bags and other times you see people cramming clearly overweight/size bags into the overhead lockers (you know who you are ;)) unchallenged. The weight limits are not unreasonable IMO so try to stick to them or use it as an opportunity to acquire some light packing skills!

I wouldnt worry people take on huge suitcases and jam them in the overhead lockers. No one seems to care . These days you could bring a baby elephant on board and if it will fit in the overhead locker then no one seems to care .

You see the first airline to actually enforce weight or size of luggage carried on board becomes the bad boy and loses out with bad PR that just drives people to other airlines.

Seriously? That is not true at all. People don't take on huge suitcases. I've seen plenty of people sent back to check in bags that are larger than the allowed limit.

As for PR I don't think too many airlines worry about that much these days. :confused:

It's a bit like speeding - all great until you get caught. If 400 passengers get on a flight and all bring carry on baggage at 10kg over the limit then the aircraft is 4 tonnes heavier than it should be. Think about the 4 tonnes while you're watching the wings bounce and flex during turbulence.....

You should see the carry-on luggage on internal flights in India. They have a ridiculously low 15kg check-in allowance so most people either don't bother checking in their bags or put all their excess into their carry-ons. They don't seem to check the size, weight, and even the number, of carry-ons. I saw one guy with four bags, two wheelies and two large duffles perched on top.

Plenty of passengers don't have bags at all. Carry a plastic bag in your onboard luggage as well. If you get weighed and are over, throw some items in the plastic bag and ask a fellow passenger nearby to carry it on for you! That being said, I've often had a bag that's well over the 7kg but I walk along like it's 3kg. Never been stopped by any airline including Q. Hope your cruise is great.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Plenty of passengers don't have bags at all. Carry a plastic bag in your onboard luggage as well. If you get weighed and are over, throw some items in the plastic bag and ask a fellow passenger nearby to carry it on for you! That being said, I've often had a bag that's well over the 7kg but I walk along like it's 3kg. Never been stopped by any airline including Q. Hope your cruise is great.

WHAT????.

If you did that these days , security would be onto you like a ton a bricks.:eek:

WHAT????.

If you did that these days , security would be onto you like a ton a bricks.:eek:

Why?? Everything's already been security screened for drugs and explosives. It's only for walking through the boarding gate then they give it back.