Question about Qantas Airlines

Why?? Everything's already been security screened for drugs and explosives. It's only for walking through the boarding gate then they give it back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OMG, I'm amazed at what I am reading on this thread. Has anyone thought about the safety of the plane here?

Everytime you check in for a flight a calculation is made of a Male, Female, Child or infant.

Lets say it is one male checking in = average 80kgs

He has 1 piece of checked baggage at 19kgs

He has one piece of carryon which is 7kg allowed maximum.

That is the 'total' that is registered for the weight and balance of the plane. Just imagine if everyone carried say 12 or 15 kgs carryon with them, the weight of the plane would not be correct. The weight of passengers, luggage, carryon and cargo all amount to how much fuel needs to be taken on board, and the balance of the weight dispursed on the plane itself. The aircraft needs to be able to get off the ground!!

Have you ever wondered why it's taken so long to take off the runway on a longhaul flight? Sometimes you feel it is never going to take off as it keeps trundling along the runway. It's because it is loaded to the max with, passengers, cargo, luggage and fuel.

You wouldn't catch me on the Indian flights mentioned. :eek:

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

Luckily not everyone on a flight takes on heavy carry-ons, and not everyone is the same body weight. There would be a certain amount of swings and roundabouts with the weights and most commercial airlines factor this in.

It becomes critical with very small planes. Years ago, on a trip to one of Fiji's outer islands they weighed all baggage and the passengers as well.

The Indian flights all seemed to take off OK, possibly even quicker than Aussie planes. I flew Delhi - Mumbai, Mumbai - Bangalore, Bangalore - Chennai and Chennai back to Delhi recently with no problems. I guess they're used to it over there.

Why?? Everything's already been security screened for drugs and explosives. It's only for walking through the boarding gate then they give it back.

I would feel quite uncomfortable if a stranger walked up to me and asked me to carry their possessions onto a plane.

Partly because it seems like a strange request, and partly because (as Gold Coast Cruisers says) they have weight limits for a reason.

Besides the risk of increased fuel surcharges, and heavy bags landing on your head, there is another reason I like the fact that many ANZAC airlines have a weight limit on carry-on. My experiences on planes with no weight limit have been somewhat of a circus. I've seen common courtesy thrown completely to the wind as people push and shove to board first. Those who show patience and board last, end up being 'punished' as there is no where left to put their bags. As they struggle to find spaces, they block up the aisle, slowing down the whole boarding process. Airlines have noticed this circus and as another money spinner have introduced the $$ option of priority boarding.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, hidden somewhere amongst the rant, is that I wish people would embrace the 7kg limit rather than trying to find ways to skirt around it.

Edited by oskarNZ

On our last qantas flight LAX - melbourne in october 2013 they made an announcement asking everyone to come forward and weigh their carry on. When it came to boarding none of the gate staff even bothered checking the carry on baggage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

On our last qantas flight LAX - melbourne in october 2013 they made an announcement asking everyone to come forward and weigh their carry on. When it came to boarding none of the gate staff even bothered checking the carry on baggage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

In a way a good result unless people ignored the announcement knowing they were over.:D