Back to Back Cruises Question

mamaboss

On a B2b in Ft Lauderdale...In a previous message someone mentioned that they walked to Total Wines! How far would that be? Any problem getting in and out with the Port Security folks? Are there other stores in walking distance?

The single biggest variable in whether it is within 'walking distance' will be where the ship docks. For the most part Princess Cruises docks at Terminals 2 & 4, but I have also seen them use Terminals 25 and 26/27.

Below I've included a map that I annotated for a fellow cruiser last year. If you are docking at Terminal 2 or 4, then YES it is easily walkable weather permitting. Otherwise take a taxi.

From Terminal 2 or 4, walk out to the main port road (just follow the exiting traffic) and head north towards 17th Street. At the Walgreens (stoplight) turn left and in about 10-15 minutes you'll be at the Harbor Shops and Southport Shopping areas. Total Wine is in the Harbor Shops in the back left corner as you enter the parking lot.

There are tons of stores, restaurants, and other venues it that stretch of 17th Street between the port entrance and those two shopping areas. Just don't forget to take your 'In Transit' pass, re-boarding documentation, and passport.

10737423694_f316a71cb3_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

On a B2b in Ft Lauderdale...In a previous message someone mentioned that they walked to Total Wines! How far would that be? Any problem getting in and out with the Port Security folks? Are there other stores in walking distance?

If it's a Sunday they don't start selling wine until 11 or 12

We did not get those lovely letters on either of our last 2 b2bs. Luckily we had done them before so we knew the drill. The disembarkation letter that everyone on the ship gets listed the restaurant and meeting times for the b2b people so we just went, found the person in charge, explained the situation and let them track down our new cards. So, if for some reason you don't get your letter/new cards, don't worry, it all works out just fine.

We had tried asking our steward and passenger services the night before but neither could help.

Question: Our cruise is sold as a 14 day, but it returns to FL mid cruise then goes out again and I saw on the Princess site that it is also sold as 7day trips, sooooo, do you think we will also have to disembark in FL as well even though we booked a 14 day . Really am sure it is fine either way , just wondered what you guys think. We are easy going so we will be fine with either option. If the ship has to go Zero whenever it goes into port at FL then we probably will have to disembark , right. Thanks all.

Cori

Question: Our cruise is sold as a 14 day, but it returns to FL mid cruise then goes out again and I saw on the Princess site that it is also sold as 7day trips, sooooo, do you think we will also have to disembark in FL as well even though we booked a 14 day . Really am sure it is fine either way , just wondered what you guys think. We are easy going so we will be fine with either option. If the ship has to go Zero whenever it goes into port at FL then we probably will have to disembark , right. Thanks all.

Cori

You'll still have to clear US Immigration at the end of the first 7 days. They have to zero the passenger count between cruises.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Cori

The ship can't get to a Zero Count while you're still aboard. As Kamloops mentioned above, you will have to disembark as part of the Turn Around group. Lots of folks also take this opportunity to go back into Fort Lauderdale to restock, sight see, or return aboard ship as the first boarding group to snag a spot at The Sanctuary or enjoy some peace and quiet (maybe be the first at lunch in the MDR) before the new passengers begin embarkation.

in January 2014, we missed the first "polar vortex" and the "back-to-back" vortex. The polar vortex we missed because we were cruising for 14 days. The back-to-back vortex we missed because we walked off the ship around 10:00, caught a taxi and went on our own excursion: a ride on the Carrie B, through the lagoons of Fort Lauderdale. We had a wonderful time. More importantly, we missed the miserable experience of standing and waiting while the ship zeroed out--got every passenger off the ship. We were told that the wait was due to some passengers who had misplaced their passports and could not find them.

Has anybody done this in AK? We booked a B2B starting in Vanc so the turnaround will be in Anchorage/Whittier. We did cruisetour Aug '12 and went southbound so would like to see a little of that area on turnaround day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've done several 'Voyage of the Glaciers' back-to-backs from Vancouver and a great self-booked excursion on turn around day in Whittier is the Alaska RR trip to Spenser Whistle Stop. You have a couple hours there and an easy walk to the lake/glacier; then catch the train coming back. Add river rafting or lake canoeing if you want.

Has anybody done this in AK? We booked a B2B starting in Vanc so the turnaround will be in Anchorage/Whittier. We did cruisetour Aug '12 and went southbound so would like to see a little of that area on turnaround day.

We did this 2 years ago. We didn't book any excursions and just decided to walk around Whittier. Really not much to see. Do yourself a big favor and book something fun.

The ship can't get to a Zero Count while you're still aboard. As Kamloops mentioned above, you will have to disembark as part of the Turn Around group. Lots of folks also take this opportunity to go back into Fort Lauderdale to restock, sight see, or return aboard ship as the first boarding group to snag a spot at The Sanctuary or enjoy some peace and quiet (maybe be the first at lunch in the MDR) before the new passengers begin embarkation.

Thanks to both responses, figured that was right, just nice to know. Not sure what we will do, we have been on all the excursions in FL before, probably go restock on a couple things. Anyway thanks.

Cori

Take one of your ship's tours.

I recommend the Intracoastal Water Way Cruise. Excellent narration, and the best hot dogs on this planet :)

Most folks take the Intra Coastal water way Everglades Air Boat Ride tour. I thought it just okay. The bus trip to and back is long.

We did the Everglades & Flamingo Park tour and it was great. We had a fantastic, informative tour guide who was very entertaining. The drive out was a little long, but the tour guide spent the time giving us all sorts of historical information that was surprisingly interesting.

We did the Everglades & Flamingo Park tour and it was great. We had a fantastic, informative tour guide who was very entertaining. The drive out was a little long, but the tour guide spent the time giving us all sorts of historical information that was surprisingly interesting.

Yes , that is a nice excursion . Have done that one twice.

Cori

I did a B2B out of Vancouver on the Sapphire last June. On turn around day in Whittier the B2B passengers met in Club Fusion. At the appointed time passengers left by one exit, stopping to have our (week one) cruise cards scanned. That was the disembarkation. We then went down a short corridor to have our (week tow) cruise cards scanned. That was the embarkation. Never left the ship. There were barriers set up to separate us from the arriving passengers. Effectively, "embarking" passengers were being released into the rest of ship from the gangplank on one side of the barriers, and from Club Fusion on the other side of the barriers. Both sides of the barriers had scanners.

From arrival in Club Fusion to exit (after the second scan) was about 45 minutes for me. I was one of the last to leave because I got a comfortable place to sit with my book and my music rather than stand waiting in line at the exit. From about 10:00 am till some time after noon, it was like I had the whole ship to myself.

I hope it still works this way because I will be doing it again in June (another B2B from Vancouver - this time on the Crown).

ImageUploadedByForums1398468507.717779.jpg.a22d435e4a295b292ac3f31e6398386c.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did this 2 years ago. We didn't book any excursions and just decided to walk around Whittier. Really not much to see. Do yourself a big favor and book something fun.

One way Alaska cruises out of Vancouver done as B2Bs are unique in that you enter the US when you board the ship sitting at Canada Place and then never again leave it until you return 14-days later (unless you do the Yukon and White Pass RR in Skagway). So you do not have to go through any kind of immigration on turnaround day. I don't even recall them zeroing out the ship, but we got off the ship early and walked around, and then did the 26 glacier tour on a smaller boat we boarded right next to the ship. It's possible everyone was asked to meet as a group to go through the card scan out/in and we simply missed it by leaving early.

I did a B2B out of Vancouver on the Sapphire last June. On turn around day in Whittier the B2B passengers met in Club Fusion. At the appointed time passengers left by one exit, stopping to have our (week one) cruise cards scanned. That was the disembarkation. We then went down a short corridor to have our (week tow) cruise cards scanned. That was the embarkation. Never left the ship. There were barriers set up to separate us from the arriving passengers. Effectively, "embarking" passengers were being released into the rest of ship from the gangplank on one side of the barriers, and from Club Fusion on the other side of the barriers. Both sides of the barriers had scanners.

From arrival in Club Fusion to exit (after the second scan) was about 45 minutes for me. I was one of the last to leave because I got a comfortable place to sit with my book and my music rather than stand waiting in line at the exit. From about 10:00 am till some time after noon, it was like I had the whole ship to myself.

I hope it still works this way because I will be doing it again in June (another B2B from Vancouver - this time on the Crown).

[ATTACH]310686[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It worked that same way except for we met in Wheelhouse Lounge.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the previous info.

Our back to back is from FLL around the Caribbean to St. Thomas, back to FLL and around different bits of the Caribbean to St. Thomas, finally returning to FLL.

Am I right in assuming we will have to go though US immigration four times (five including the day we arrive in the US from England!)?

And how much hassle is involved nowadays?

We did the Back to Back last January. When we returned to FLL at the midpoint, we walked off the ship about 9:45am. There was a small line at customs but it moved quickly. We caught a taxi cab and went on a tour of the Fort Lauderdale lagoons on a boat called the Carrie B. Afterwards, we phoned for a taxi and returned to the ship. We held up our passports and ship cards and walked right on the ship. Easy. What was not so easy was the experience of the people who stayed onboard the ship. They were led off the ship for what should have been a short wait, then walk right back on the ship. Unfortunately, some passengers could not find their passports. No one is allowed back on the ship until all passengers are off. I was told that they had a long, miserable wait in an area without chairs. I recommend leaving the ship. We had a much better time seeing waterfront homes and yachts of the rich and famous. Have a great cruise!

[ATTACH]310686[/ATTACH]

We did this on the Island last year but booked as a RT 14 day. I don't see those being offered as 1 cruise this year. It seems we saved on port charges, probably that $50 AK charge per cruise. We also lucked out on the military credit of 250 instead of 200.

One way Alaska cruises out of Vancouver done as B2Bs are unique in that you enter the US when you board the ship sitting at Canada Place and then never again leave it until you return 14-days later (unless you do the Yukon and White Pass RR in Skagway). So you do not have to go through any kind of immigration on turnaround day. I don't even recall them zeroing out the ship, but we got off the ship early and walked around, and then did the 26 glacier tour on a smaller boat we boarded right next to the ship. It's possible everyone was asked to meet as a group to go through the card scan out/in and we simply missed it by leaving early.

They had the scan out/in on the Island last summer. It was around 930 am. We did go off the ship afterward and when reboarding we had a pass to bypass those boarding in Whittier.

Thank you all, great info. Defiantly sounds like a great idea to get off midway in Fl. I do wonder how assessible the Carrie b tour and others for that matter would be for my mom. She pretty much stays in her transport chair as she can't walk long distances but she can go up/down a few steps and walk a short distance. (Bad knees) If anyone can elaborate on this it would help me on what tour to book. Thanks again

Thank you all, great info. Defiantly sounds like a great idea to get off midway in Fl. I do wonder how assessible the Carrie b tour and others for that matter would be for my mom. She pretty much stays in her transport chair as she can't walk long distances but she can go up/down a few steps and walk a short distance. (Bad knees) If anyone can elaborate on this it would help me on what tour to book. Thanks again

I cannot comment on the individual tours and their suitability for your mom, but I know that you can book the tours for turnaround day while on board, and you can consult with the tour desk people who can absolutely make sure you are on a tour suitable for your mom's limitations. I do think it is a great idea to have a tour booked for turn-around. You will exit the ship and have something pleasant to occupy your morning.

Our last experience with turnaround in FLL was horrible, as some passengers apparently don't read the materials concerning this procedure, or think the rules don't apply to them. (And I don't care if they were first time cruisers or not - they should have read the information that was distributed.) We did have a very long wait (almost an hour) in uncomfortable circumstances while the ship's personnel tracked down the stragglers and they actually were able to zero out the ship. It only takes one half of one percent of any given population to make life miserable for the other 99.5% of it! From now on, we will get off the ship early and do something for the morning!

Here is what I received approximately 5pm the afternoon prior to returning back to Fort Lauderdale on my B2B. Yours may be similar:

11260005484_5815cc63bc_b.jpg

11260005764_e883635060_b.jpg

11260005774_980b7db34f_b.jpg

Thanks for this! Very informative. I will be B2B next week on Caribbean Princess.