Does 16yo need passport?

Or can we use his Birth Certificate?

If the 16yo is a US citizen, and the cruise starts and ends in the same US port, then they can use a certified copy of the birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Or can we use his Birth Certificate?

To the best of my knowledge, it depends on the itinerary of your cruise. If, for any reason, you need to disembark at a port during your voyage, you will need to comply with that Countries requirements if you wish to enter or leave that Country.

Traditional advice is to always travel with a passport. Requirements for those under 16 years of age vary...please see http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

This site may also be helpful for minors 16 and 17 years of age: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/16-and-17.html

Edited by Salacia

Just an FYI, at 16 can get an adult passport good for 10 years.

And if they have a drivers license a parent does not have to go with them to apply. If not DL then 1 parent needs to go.

We purposefully waited till kids turned 16 to do passport so it would be good into their 20's and start of adult jobs post college

You may be able to get a passport card instead of a passport book. It just depends on where you are traveling. I wouldn't take a chance with just a drivers license and birth certificate.

For cruising, what's the benefit of a passport card over a BC and DL?

Actually, 16 or 60, doesn't matter. You can get on the cruise ship with either a certified BC or a passport BUT if for any reason you need to fly home, you will have a big problem without a passport - and a passport card isn't going to get you on that plane.

I love the irony in people shoveling money hand over fist for travel insurance they don't need "just in case", all the while arguing about not wasting money on a passport they "don't need"...:rolleyes:

Well said! :D:thumbup:

BTW, adult passports are good for TEN years. I assume that a child's passport is the same (but I'm not positive since I have no reason to check). And the required photos can be purchased for $8 at walgreens, CVS, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Well said! :D:thumbup:

BTW, adult passports are good for TEN years. I assume that a child's passport is the same (but I'm not positive since I have no reason to check). And the required photos can be purchased for $8 at walgreens, CVS, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

A child's passport is only valid for 5 years

A couple of years ago we were going through customs at the end of our Disney cruise with our young children. We just had birth certificates for all us rather than passports because that is all we technically needed. The customs agent was very nice but extremely persistent. He strongly suggested that if we cruise again to get passports just in case. We weren't sure why but he was just so extremely persistent that we did. We have cruised once since then and another one the way and we are so glad we just got them.

Plus now if we decide to take another trip of any kind out of the country they already have them. It is just the peace of mind that you need, in my opinion.

Debbie

I would suggest getting at least the passport card instead of using birth certificates and license. The card is the size of a credit card and is laminated so it will withstand abuse, and can be left in a wallet or purse. Plus it is only $30 for 10 years. That is $3 a YEAR. Less than the price of a single Starbuck's coffee.

Now of course you will get the "What if you need to fly home" posters here, but if you are in any foreign country, you will be able to fly home with a little help from the local embassy. With a passport book, it is much easier.

I actually got both last time. The total was $140 which is $14 a year! For land crossings, I only need to bring the card (which stays in my wallet) and if I travel by air, then I can use the book.

A passport card is cheaper than a passport book. The passport card is "valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air." At 16, either will be good for 10 years. You can have photos taken at Costco for $5.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but have a question....I'll be traveling with my 3 yr old grandson and his mother (father not in the picture). He has a passport but I've read we may need a letter from the father stating that he can travel out of the country. What do you do in cases that the father isn't around? His last name is different from my daughters.