Shorts for Dinner

mabryhouse

On the royal in February we saw several men walk in to anytime dining in shorts. It was mid cruise too.

My husband would wear shorts all the time since we are Floridian. Of course I won't let him and he grumbles but wears nice dress pants. He would rather wear pants and eat in the mdr than wear shorts and eat in the buffet.

On our Ruby 5-nighter a couple of weeks ago, LOTS of people had shorts on the 1st night. Not us, I had told my dh he couldn't but then I felt bad when so many others had on shorts. I saw shorts in the MDR other nights, but not as many as the 1st night. On our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise(s) we probably will wear dressy shorts the 1st night.

Shorts were not allowed on our Grand (Hawaii) cruise 2/18/14 - 3/5/14. We saw people turned away 2 different nights. One night a large group of older men with their wives. On a another night 2 couples were politely asked to change or they could eat in the buffet.

I did a search and found information form 2012. Can dress shorts and a nice shirt be worn in the main dining room for dinner (male or female). I leave in a week and if I have to pack pant, then I need another suitcase. Please help.

One thing to think about is that the first couple of days (especially the second one while at sea) will probably be on the cool side. So you may want to be wearing pants for when boarding the ship at least. And pack a second pair in your suitcase. If you're mostly packing shorts, surely you can re-wear a pair (or do a wash as Princess has self-service laundries) and that will save room for a pair of light weight slacks. You'll have a couple of formal nights during your cruise -- are you going to eat elsewhere or are you packing something nice for those nights?

One thing to think about is that the first couple of days (especially the second one while at sea) will probably be on the cool side. So you may want to be wearing pants for when boarding the ship at least. And pack a second pair in your suitcase. If you're mostly packing shorts' date=' surely you can re-wear a pair (or do a wash as Princess has self-service laundries) and that will save room for a pair of light weight slacks. You'll have a couple of formal nights during your cruise -- are you going to eat elsewhere or are you packing something nice for those nights?[/quote']As Cruisin' Chick said, It is almost always cool and often windy sailing down the coast of Baja the first day after you leave LA and the last day before you return. I notice you have two sea days after Cabo so both of those days might be cool. You will probably be glad to have a pair of slacks to wear on those days! Although there can always be exceptions, you should always expect that the dress code will be followed. You only need one pair of slacks per person (two would be better) and you could wear one pair when you board the ship. You can wash them on board. If it is warm enough, you can change into shorts or a swim suit when you get to your cabin after your board.

You all have confirmed what I had thought. We have every intention of following Princess's guidelines, I was just just trying to see if the rules had been relaxed or not. That being said, my DH went and purchased a sport coat just so we could dress appropriately for the 2 dressy dinners.

While I do not care what others wear, I wanted to make sure I was not one of those "guess what I saw on my cruise" comments posted here.

Yes, I plan on packing a pair of back pants, but I have some very colorful prairie skirts that would be perfect for this cruise, but they each must have 5 yards of fabric in them, that is why I would need a 3rd suit case. Off to pack! Thanks again everyone!

You all have confirmed what I had thought. We have every intention of following Princess's guidelines, I was just just trying to see if the rules had been relaxed or not. That being said, my DH went and purchased a sport coat just so we could dress appropriately for the 2 dressy dinners.

While I do not care what others wear, I wanted to make sure I was not one of those "guess what I saw on my cruise" comments posted here.

Yes, I plan on packing a pair of back pants, but I have some very colorful prairie skirts that would be perfect for this cruise, but they each must have 5 yards of fabric in them, that is why I would need a 3rd suit case. Off to pack! Thanks again everyone!

Have a great cruise. :)

You know I just don't get it. you choose a cruise line knowing the rules but yet you want to have it your way and do it your way and ignore the rules.... the rules says no shorts. Personally I feel the Maitre d should enforce the rules. You choose the cruise lines for the "Style" of cruising if you don't like the style find another cruise line!

After following my husband around the globe for the past 35 years while he was active duty Air Force, I have to admit I am at a loss. He has always worn his dress blues or his mess dress for functions (and mess dress for formal nights on cruises as it is the equivalent to a tuxedo) so please lend me some direction. What exactly is a dinner jacket? And does one wear a tie with it? Is a sport coat the same thing and does one wear a tie with it too? These are for formal nights. Hubby does not want to wear his mess dress uniform this time (although I have begged him to as I love him in it) because he is retired. So what does he wear? He does have a tuxedo made in Turkey but not sure if it will fit as that was made ten years ago. Can he wear a sports jacket? And if so with or without a tie for formal nights? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carnival is the only cruise line I've been on that allows "dress"shorts in the MDR. Not Princess, RC, Celebrity or HAL. Did see some shorts on Disney and NCL but most men wore docker type pants and polo shirts. As my 90 yo mother says in her day you knew you were a grown man when you stopped wearing short pants. ;)

Where I live it gets hot in the summer. You will see people in nice restaurants wearing shorts, Aloha shirts, and Birkenstocks. When it's 110 - 112 degrees we don't have a problem with it at all. Of course they are NICE shorts...

Having said that, it just doesn't seem right on a cruise ship. Cruising is (at least to me) something that is different and somewhat special.

Sounds like I'm going to be eating in the buffet a lot. My DH lives in shorts and sweats. I talked him into one formal night, but there is no way he's doing two and no way he will put on pants for lunch and dinner. I'm fine with the rule, and glad there are alternatives so everyone can enjoy their cruise in a way that's comfortable for them.

Has anyone seen shorts allowed in the MDR for dinner other than on those short cruises Ruby is currently doing?

LuLu

~~~

Yes, On my November Ruby cruise in 2012 I saw people in shorts, in the dining room for dinner on a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

Edited by stoneharborlady

The first night is a little different - codes are very relaxed because people may have not gotten their luggage yet, especially for earlier meals.

On our Ruby 5-nighter a couple of weeks ago, LOTS of people had shorts on the 1st night. Not us, I had told my dh he couldn't but then I felt bad when so many others had on shorts. I saw shorts in the MDR other nights, but not as many as the 1st night. On our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise(s) we probably will wear dressy shorts the 1st night.