The O Class Experience vs. the R Class Experience

Tarpeian Rock

We're a week off our first Oceania experience, the Mayan Mystique cruise on Riviera. Absolutely loved it. (Will write a report soon.) Our luggage isn't even in the attic yet, and we're talking about our next Oceania cruise - which may be on Regatta, Miami to San Francisco in April 2015.

I think I understand the physical differences between the O and R class ships, but we have a small concern that our Riviera experience may have spoiled us with respect to the smaller ships. (But will admit that a number of people we met on Riviera told us they preferred the smaller ships.)

Recognizing 2 instead of 4 specialty restaurants, smaller pool, no La Reserve (which we really loved), slightly smaller verandah-level staterooms, etc. -- can anyone help us understand how the experience may (or may not) differ between the two classes of ships? We're pretty low-maintenance cruisers, love sea days (which is what's attracting us to this cruise), shows aren't a big deal to us, but loved the overall Riviera experience so much that we're just a tad hesitant about the smaller ships. We also know about the refurbs currently underway on the three R ships. Thanks so much.

We did 21 days on the Regatta San Francisco to New York City last Fall. Absolutely fantastic! Yes, the rooms are a bit smaller but laid out very efficiently. If you can justify a PH, you will be delighted. The two restaurants are great as is the Grand Dining room. I didn't think the pool itself was much (if any) smaller but the pool deck certainly is.

On the smaller ships, it is easier to get to know the crew, the sommeliers and the officers as well as getting to know other passengers better because you tend to run into them more often. Loved the chairs and small tables in the Lounge area instead of the rows of theatre seating.

The Riviera does have her charm, but don't hesitate to take the "R" ships and after their upgrades this Spring, they should look much the same! We have two cruises booked on them already for later this year.

Enjoy your cruise - the Panama Canal is a must do.

For me it is all about intimacy

Size matters

On a R ship you get to know everyone quickly

On an O ship ((twice the passengers) that is not the case.

I believe the intimacy is totally lost on the O ships. My opinion. I have heard people disagree. I do not understand how you can have the same level of intimacy when there are twice as any people but . . .

Yes, cabins are nicer and larger

Yes, there are more dining venues

Yes, the O ships are newer

Yes, you can take cooking classes

For us, none of these things trumps the intimacy and atmosphere on the R class ships.

I just gave Riviera a try (I had sailed on Marina).

It did not change my mind

It would take A LOT (an incredible itinerary) to get me back on the larger ships.

As you can see from my future cruises I am on R class ships either on Oceania or Azamara.

We have sailed both. I think the one thing we do not really like about the R ships are the showers, especially the curtain. We just did a 30 day cruise on the Nautica and loved it. You do get to know the other passengers, the crew is much more friendly and I found the officers to be more friendly on the smaller ships as well.

We enjoyed the larger bathroom on the O ships, but that is not a big enough of a deal to sway me from not sailing the R ships. I also liked the fact that there were 4 specialty restaurants rather than 2, but found on the Nautica that they had theme nights in the Terrace Cafe that matched Jacques and Red Ginger, so I technically in one way still got the same food.

Which do I prefer? I can't actually say. I pick the itinerary, rather than the ship.

O ship advantages are dispositive for us: larger suites, larger spa with big sauna, heated tile chaises, quiet outdoor seating and thassalotherapy tub, big teaching kitchen, art room, great coffee bar, etc.

We would probably take the comparable size but larger suite Regent Voyager or Mariner as opposed to the R ships.

Different but similar. Whether O or R they both give great experiences. Especially following the upcoming R ship renovations they might be collectively called the OR Class ships because whether on one or the other it will be great time.

We lean to preferring the smaller R ships but enjoyed the look and amenities of the O ships. While very well maintained the R ship looked little dated after two on O class. I look forward to seeing the R ships after the dry dock.

Edited by YoHoHo

Fell in love with Oceania on the R ships, exalted when the O ships came out, but still love the R ships. You nailed the physical differences (some are even more subtle -- like the steps into the pool on the O ships), but there is actually very little difference in the total experience. The ships are laid out in a similar manner, both show the tasteful lack of glitz, both follow the same policies, both have fabulous food and what I believe to be the most comfortable beds afloat, the staff is often rotated so the service is the same. There are physical differences but the experience is obviously Oceania no matter which.

As for intimacy, you do get the feeling you've seen people before faster on the R ships, but I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the number of people I get to know -- I feel that depends on the length of the voyage, as I will not get to know all 684 any more than I will get to know all 1250.

O ship advantages are dispositive for us: larger suites, larger spa with big sauna, heated tile chaises, quiet outdoor seating and thassalotherapy tub, big teaching kitchen, art room, great coffee bar, etc.

Baristas is going into the R ships this next reno. Hurrah!

As others have stated I think you will find that both ships are wonderful. If you like cooking and art classes, then the larger O ships would be better. (I do not enjoy cooking or art classes, so I kept feeling that I was paying for something that was not for me. when we sailed on the Marina.) Also, we really enjoy the observation lounge in the smaller R ships much better. Somehow, the views are so much better and large glass windows looking out to sea in front are wonderful for cocktails before dinner. The O ships seem to be centered away from the forward look to the sea, I think. Just a matter of what you enjoy!! Both are wonderful ships and I will indeed cruise either if the itinerary is what I like. However, I think we prefer the smaller R ships. Our next cruise is on the Nautica (after refurbishment) to Norway (Land of the Midnight Sun). Go for either... I think you will not be disappointed.

It is clear that it is a very personal choice.

There is no consensus.

Some like the R ships and prefer not to sail to O ships

Some like the O ships better and will only sail the O ships going forward

Some like them both

Some say -- I'll decide by the itinerary

To the OP -- the ONLY way you will know is to sail both type of ships and make up your own mind.

We have completed three cruises on the R ships and three on the O ships. We go with the itinerary but prefer the R ships. We are in cabins with a veranda and I personally think the layout and space availability in that cabin category is better on the R ships. The bathroom is larger on the O class and the shower doesn't have the "dreaded" curtain but the space is taken up by the bath tub which we do not use.

There is definitely something missing in the ambience of the large ships. I knew something had changed when I asked for a dessert recipe on the O ship and was told that they don't do that. When I asked on the R ship the recipe was on the cabin door the next day. Silly little things like that make a difference in the cruise experience.

We have completed three cruises on the R ships and three on the O ships. We go with the itinerary but prefer the R ships. We are in cabins with a veranda and I personally think the layout and space availability in that cabin category is better on the R ships. The bathroom is larger on the O class and the shower doesn't have the "dreaded" curtain but the space is taken up by the bath tub which we do not use.

+1

Agree completely. It seems to be a consensus here that the veranda cabins are larger on O ships. While the posted sq. footage is larger, most of this increase goes to the bathrooms; thus I am not convinced that the cabin itself is any bigger. I also find the R verandah cabins have a better cabin layout and much better storage.

The PH and above cabins are definitely larger on the O ships.

I too think that you should try this cruise and then decide for yourself :)

I like both the O and R ships. For me journey length and port intensity would be the deciders. For a longer itinerary with more sea days I would prefer Marina or Riviera, but for shorter more shore intensive trips the R ships. Having said that I decide on itinerary and sail dates that work with my availability and the class of the ship is far less relevant. They are all Oceania and that works for me.

Yes, O is addictive. For what it's worth, I can't decide between the R and the O ships. We choose on the basis of itinerary now. However, when I first tried the O, I was afraid it would be too big and too crowded for me. It wasn't. Love them both. With the new grill and Baristas on Insignia, who knows, maybe that will tip the scale toward the R size!

Yes, O is addictive. For what it's worth, I can't decide between the R and the O ships. We choose on the basis of itinerary now. However, when I first tried the O, I was afraid it would be too big and too crowded for me. It wasn't. Love them both. With the new grill and Baristas on Insignia, who knows, maybe that will tip the scale toward the R size!

I too wonder. We sail this year on the refurbished Regatta 10 days after we sail on Marina. Regatta was our first 4 cruises, all the rest have been on Marina and Riviera. DH is really looking forward to Regatta again as he seems to favor the R ships. This will an be a opportunity for me to reassess which I prefer. A few years ago I think it was Paulchili (hi Paul) who did a survey of preferences between the R & O class. It might be interesting to repeat that survey after the refurbs have been made.

And yes Tarpean...this is a very addicting cruise line.

A few years ago I think it was Paulchili (hi Paul) who did a survey of preferences between the R & O class. It might be interesting to repeat that survey after the refurbs have been made.

Hi Deb,

Nice of you to remember.

Yes, it would be interesting to re-do this survey again (after the refurbishing) as there are now many more cruisers that have been on both class ships.

Enjoy your Regatta cruise!

We have also done both as well as Regent.

Those new O ships are fabulous. I totally notice the space differential. Even on the PH cabins. We've sailed in both Concierge and PH on Nautica and Regatta. And PH on Riviera. It would be hard for me to top the Riviera's PH experience. But if my itinerary were on one of the smaller ships, I'd consider it. We are actually going to look at Azamara next year. Same ship of a different color.