Mariner (somewhat live)

tallship

The UK is definitely a significant member state of the European Union.

Regent is marketing across Europe, not just UK.

Had a discussion with my DH at Happy Hour tonight. His view is that the U.K. tried to distance itself somewhat from Europe when he was young (think pre-WWII). After WWII, they wanted to be part of Europe if it benefited them but not all the time. He explained that they were part of the European Union but wanted nothing to do with the Euro.

Regent may be marketing across Europe but the U.K. is their focus (read the document referenced above).

When we were onboard the Mariner in March for the TA we were told that the ship was 50% British passengers and we met quite a few Europeans as well. I do believe there is heavy marketing going on. While the ship is in Europe it makes the air travel much easier for Regent.

Tina, I hope you and your Mom stay well. The cough was very obvious while we were onboard. I guess it didn't disappear during the refurbishment . We had an "interesting experience" in that regard.

Ann-

Thx for your note...feeling that this thread has been hijacked into yet another debate. I have lost your email and wanted to update you on something....can you email me at tdmail2005ATyahooDOTca

Thx

Thread isn't hijacked. Just discussing reasons why there are so many European passengers on both the Marnier and the Voyager. Hope you and your mom stay healthy.

My DH was born and raised in London. While things may have changed, he insists that, being an island on it's own, it is not part of Europe. Interestingly, they are not part of the European Union (or at least not part of the currency)...............

This is why I was amazed to read that Brits make up approximately 90% of the passengers currently on the Mariner. This is more than unusual.That is why I thought back to specials that were reportedly only offered out of the U.K. (not European) Regent office.

Again don't like to take issue with your DH but many islands are part of the continent - is Rhode Island not part of (a) North America and (b) the USA? And UK is a full member state of the European Union (though whether we will be in a few years time is uncertain).

I find it very difficult to believe that 90% figure unless there has been some sort of block-booking by a large group. As you say we have never found the British contingent more than 10 - 20% (estimated, of course). And Regent does not have a separate European office but continental Europeans for whom English is only a second language are (IMO) less likely to book a cruise on an English-speaking vessel hence Regent's greater focus on and success in the UK market.

Rarin2go ..... You have hit the nail on the head. Regent is English speaking and that is why we ( Brits ) favour this line, along with Seabourn, Silver Seas et al.

Tallships actually said that it seems like 90% Brits on board, not that she actually knew that percentage.

We are quite nice people, you know, and enjoy the Luxury Lines like our friends from across the Atlantic do. Although we are definitely part of the EU we are very poor at learning other languages. There are a number if European Luxury Lines, but we would find it difficult to converse with fellow passengers so do not consider them for our cruises.

We are sailing on Mariner (first cruise with Regent) on Thursday from Venice and so I wil be able to tell you if there are a lot of us from our little country on board.

Had a discussion with my DH at Happy Hour tonight. His view is that the U.K. tried to distance itself somewhat from Europe when he was young (think pre-WWII). After WWII, they wanted to be part of Europe if it benefited them but not all the time. He explained that they were part of the European Union but wanted nothing to do with the Euro.

Regent may be marketing across Europe but the U.K. is their focus (read the document referenced above).

Thank you for the clarification that your statements regarding the UK and Europe are your DH's views rather than fact. (Also I note that England is not an island - albeit some members of our population may have insular views at times. If Scotland votes for devolution later this year we may have to re-instate Hadrian's wall......;))

I have read the RSSC Annual Report for 2013 and the marketing strategy is clear:

"Our target customer is 55 years of age or older, has a net worth of over $1.0 million, is well educated and is a seasoned world traveler"

"While our historical focus has been to serve the North American cruise market, we are expanding our focus to increase our international guest sourcing. In 2010, 20.0% of our passengers were sourced from outside the United States, which grew to 25.1% in 2013. We believe there remains significant opportunity to expand our passenger sourcing into major markets such as Europe and Australia, as well as into emerging markets in the Asia Pacific region"

I believe Regent is trying to increase the number of British guests on Regent. They give incentives to get people to try the product. I recall several times when the ship was docked and people were allowed to board for lunch and a tour. This was probably a year ago.

My husband is British and also enjoys cruises that are diverse. I am curious how much the Baltic cruises are being advertised in the U.K. We have been inundated with emails regarding their less than full Baltic cruises.

During our recent Voyager cruise in the Far East, the passengers were from a very diverse range of countries, albeit US Nationals still outnumbered the rest.

While we were in Hong Kong (docked at the new cruise terminal - Yuk :(), busloads of locals were shown around the ship in an obvious marketing push to attract more passengers from the region.

The 'lunch & tour' marketing ploy worked for us - we did this in Southampton, UK in 2009 and have cruised with RSSC ever since :)

Again don't like to take issue with your DH but many islands are part of the continent - is Rhode Island not part of (a) North America and (b) the USA? And UK is a full member state of the European Union (though whether we will be in a few years time is uncertain).

I find it very difficult to believe that 90% figure unless there has been some sort of block-booking by a large group. As you say we have never found the British contingent more than 10 - 20% (estimated, of course). And Regent does not have a separate European office but continental Europeans for whom English is only a second language are (IMO) less likely to book a cruise on an English-speaking vessel hence Regent's greater focus on and success in the UK market.

It is greater than 50% and Jay23 is correct in stating that my post stated it "seems like" >90%......I just want to report on the cruise not debate whether the UK is part of Europe nor how Regent approaches its marketing or growth strategy

.....I just want to report on the cruise not debate whether the UK is part of Europe nor how Regent approaches its marketing or growth strategy

Fair enough - look forward to hearing more from you! :)

......I just want to report on the cruise not debate whether the UK is part of Europe nor how Regent approaches its marketing or growth strategy

Sorry, tallship..........:o

Looking forward to further reports and more pictures of our favourite ship :)

Hi Tallship

Thank you for taking the time and effort in producing the wonderful photos and comments about the mariner. We were supposed to be on the ship now but unfortunately due to illness we had to cancel. We are now due to embark on 2nd May in Rome (our 3rd mariner cruise) after seeing your wonderful posts we cannot wait - such a beautiful ship.

Enjoy the remaining days of your holiday with your mum. Have fun.

Suttonrunner

Tina -- I also apologize for getting this thread off track.

I do have a question. After reading the Oceania board, something apparently happened with the art auction people and art that was purchased on board was not delivered to passengers -- the orders were cancelled (and passengers were reimbursed). Someone currently on the Riviera says that there are no art auctions on board. You can probably guess what the question is......... have their been art auctions during your cruise?

Thanks.

Yes Jackie - there are art lectures, auctions, etc.

So here is a quick update on the last few days. Albania was rained out, cold and miserable. I am not sure why Regent docks here. It is bleak and the rain did not help. Many passengers complaining. We decided to make it a sea day at the last minute and very happy that we did.

Next up was Split. We did the Highlights tour. Saw nothing of Split but did go to a cute town of Trogir. Had a bit too much time there. Then went to a Mill and had cheese, prosciutto, bread and wine.

Today was Koper. We did a tour that was called Panaromic Koper. It really should be called Koper Countryside. It was very cold and windy. We were left in the town square of Piran for an hour and then we drove to Padva and had cheese, prosciutto, bread and wine (yes, I cut and pasted this from above). The Slovenian countryside is lush and very beautiful.

Albania

13871294074_e7aedecddb.jpg

Cupcake Teatime

13870935723_0487816453.jpg

13870931493_ec55dee73c.jpg

Split

13871282954_631338770e.jpg

Tina - so glad the UK/EU bit is over and you are back reporting on the cruise...

I don't know why Regent goes to Albania either. I remember sitting in the Observation Lounge looking at the Albanian port (whose name I have most conveniently forgotten!) with Orpington T. We both agreed it looked dreadful. Then his son Paul arrived back from either a walk onshore or an excursion, can't remember which. And Paul said "It is more awful than it looks" which about summed it up I think.

Hope you and Prabha have a great last few days... and why not cruise to Switzerland next?

Gerry

Edited by Hambagahle

Gerry-

Agreed. I think it was Sarabande that we went to on that last cruise to Albania. You will be pleased to know that we have won trivia twice out of the 5 times we have played. We celebrate with a round of Bellinis each time. I buy, of course.:)

We are dining with our trivia group tonight.

Cheers, Tina

Tallships/Gerry,

the port is called Serande and I completely agree with you. We visited this port the first time Regent went there and after reading up about the area also decided to do a Sea Day.

Glad we did not get off as lots of guests came back to the ship after about an hour around the port area complaining of aggressive begging.

We enjoyed ourselves just watching the Military up on the cliffs watching us through their binoculars and a very noisy wedding party all in Mercedes cars driving round the town, blasting their car horns, which apparently is the tradition.

We are boarding the Mariner for the Istanbul/Athens cruise on 12th May and are looking forward to seeing the changes.

I was once in Sarande back in the day before excursions were included, I think in May 2008. My daughter, her finance and I rented a cab, and as I remember, asked him to take us to a couple of places that were included on the ship's tours. We went to the Castle of Lëkurësit , way at the top of a high hill that actually had a nice outdoor restaurant which was closed, they had not opened for the day, and we were there in the morning. It had a beautiful panoramic view and we could see the ship anchored below. Our next stop was at the Blue Eye, which we also enjoyed. I really enjoyed getting out of the town, and our cab driver was fun.... but agree with previous posters that it is one miserable looking port area. There were many unfinished building projects on the water that looked abandoned, and the streets were so unattractive.

Don't know what excursions were offered, but anything would have been better than walking around that port area. It appears that Regent has no more stops this season to this port, but there's another one in Albania I've not heard of.

Edited by jhp

Tallships/Gerry,

We enjoyed ourselves just watching the Military up on the cliffs watching us through their binoculars

Port 11, I did a zoom photo on my trip of the exact spot you mentioned!

Agree about Sarende, although your picture from now looks way better than when we visited. Streets were full of huge potholes, lots of falling apart unfinished buildings, aggressive beggers.

But I actually liked our excursion. It was to some Roman ruins and ampitheater which a man is trying to excavate, and it was very interesting. The archeologist was there himself to talk to us, and we were pretty much allowed to go all over.

Congrats on trivia!

Agree about Sarende, although your picture from now looks way better than when we visited. Streets were full of huge potholes, lots of falling apart unfinished buildings, aggressive beggers.

But I actually liked our excursion. It was to some Roman ruins and ampitheater which a man is trying to excavate, and it was very interesting. The archeologist was there himself to talk to us, and we were pretty much allowed to go all over.

Congrats on trivia!

Rachel-

The port this time was Durres....not great.