Ncl cancels calls for roatan

vols_159

Our cruise stopped at the Roatan port in 2011. We felt totally safe walking around inside the gates. My husband (police officer) and son decided that they were going to walk around outside the gates until it was time for our excursion. I told them have at it, but I wasn't going. They said they made it two steps outside the gates and didn't feel safe at all, so they immediately came back. We did the excursion where you get to hold a monkey. We felt safe at all times during the excursion and enjoyed ourselves a lot. I agree with NCL's decision to not stop at this port (at least for the time being). There are plenty of other equally as beautiful places that are much, much safer!

But NCL made the decision to 'teach them a lesson', not the passengers who paid good money to stop there. Paying passengers had their choice taken from them.

The decision was made to bring about changes in the mindset of Roatan authorities, and it was effective.

The "Top Cop" at Roatan was replaced with someone who agreed to beef up security. Thus, NCL resumed calls at Roatan.

It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the WORLD since 2010? Good riddance they shouldn't ever go back as far as I am concerned

Several countries in Central America have serious problems with the illegal drug cartels. El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras are problematic.

My wife and I were there last Tuesday on the Caribbean Princess. We had a Private Tour Operator (Roatan Ocean Adventure) pick us up at the hill by Mahognay Bay. We proceeded to our snorkel excursion in French Key area. Beautiful coral and tons of Lobster. We brought the letter that Princess issued to warn everyone about security problems to our tour operator. Herbert then told us about the Murder of the NCL employee. Herbert drove us to Coxen Hole and showed us the spot the man was shot. There was a lot of extra security around Coxen Hole. Herbert and his relatives told us that they could see something like this happening because the warning signs were there. Petty thefts around the island leads to more problems. The government needed to step up security but didn't. They are now! Canceling 2 ships cost the Island about $500,000 .

Where we snorkeled there was beautiful coral everywhere. Elk horn coral 4-5 feet long. I saw a large Elk horn broken and laying in the sand. I pointed it out to Herbert. He said the big snorkel boats from the other side of the island come here and drop there anchors anywhere. Result broken coral. The same problem as the violence. If this is not protected , there will be no Coral in the future. Herberts family is trying to get this area protected like a park.

I hope the government steps up to the plate on both issues. Roatan is a beautiful Island. We would not sail the western Caribbean if Roatan wasn't a stop.

Couple years ago there was the shooting of a young tourist on St Thomas. I think it was near Coki beach. The cruise ship companies told the Government to step up security or else. They did and it helped curb the violence.

I live in a town of 7500. When I was a kid we had 4 Policeman and you didn't lock your doors. Today we have about 18 Policeman and you BETTER LOCK YOUR DOORS. What a SHAME!!:mad:

F

I've read the murderer was apprehended; perhaps that is why NCL has changed their stance in the past week?

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/04/articles/crime/honduran-police-arrest-bay-islands-resident-in-murder-of-ncl-crew-member/

That had zero to do with NCL's stance.

The letter we got in our cabin on the Dawn Monday afternoon, stated that the man had been apprehended by then. (less than a day)

NCL was just trying to make a point to the Roatan officials at the expense of those of us with the bad luck of sailing last week.

We had been flying since we left Tampa, to get to the furthest port, Roatan, on time.

Literally seconds before the Captain made the announcement (about skipping Roatan) on Monday afternoon, the ship slowed from full speed to a crawl. (as they no longer needed the extra speed, as we were already almost off Costa Maya, thus almost to Belize. At least according to the Nav channel)

I wouldn't have minded missing Roatan as much, if NCL had given us a 2nd day in Belize.

I can understand in most ports, where a pier needs to be available, to dock.

But with Belize being a tender port, NCL would have just had to set up an extra day of Tenders.

Rather than doing loopty loops off the coast.

But they did what they did...

That had zero to do with NCL's stance.

The letter we got in our cabin on the Dawn Monday afternoon, stated that the man had been apprehended by then. (less than a day)

NCL was just trying to make a point to the Roatan officials at the expense of those of us with the bad luck of sailing last week.

We had been flying since we left Tampa, to get to the furthest port, Roatan, on time.

Literally seconds before the Captain made the announcement (about skipping Roatan) on Monday afternoon, the ship slowed from full speed to a crawl. (as they no longer needed the extra speed, as we were already almost off Costa Maya, thus almost to Belize. At least according to the Nav channel)

I wouldn't have minded missing Roatan as much, if NCL had given us a 2nd day in Belize.

I can understand in most ports, where a pier needs to be available, to dock.

But with Belize being a tender port, NCL would have just had to set up an extra day of Tenders.

Rather than doing loopty loops off the coast.

But they did what they did...

Cruise lines cannot just drive into a port and stay there without making prior arrangements with the port authorities. As with any government agencies, they do not move quickly.

Before passing judgment on NCL, it would be advisable to get the facts.

Honduras has had the highest murder rate in the WORLD since 2010? Good riddance they shouldn't ever go back as far as I am concerned

Your statement might be true of mainland Honduras, but that is not where the cruise ships go. The cruise ports are in Isla of Roatan, Honduras and it, in itself, has an almost non-existent violent crime rate. The locals do not and will not tolerate it and often take "punishment" into their own hands, if ya' know what I mean ;). Their livelihood depends on tourism.

I hope the ships resume their stops there, and soon. We weren't able to stop there last week and it was heartbreaking as the island is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever visited and the people are equally as awesome. As sad as I was to miss the only reason I booked the Western itinerary again, I was more sad for the young man that lost his life so senselessly and for his family and crew mates.

Your statement might be true of mainland Honduras, but that is not where the cruise ships go. The cruise ports are in Isla of Roatan, Honduras and it, in itself, has an almost non-existent violent crime rate.

Been to Roatan many times and that is not accurate. They certainly have their share of violent crime. It may be lower than the mainland, but it exists.

Just my opinion from a half dozen visits in the last few years and talking with the locals.

Been to Roatan many times and that is not accurate. They certainly have their share of violent crime. It may be lower than the mainland, but it exists.

Just my opinion from a half dozen visits in the last few years and talking with the locals.

I'm just basing my opinion on my many trips there as well and my continued relationships with locals. Crime is everywhere. Isla Roatan has a very minimal amount compared to many, many other places...especially the USA. I just want to make sure that cruisers understand the massive difference between mainland Honduras and Roatan.

Happy sailing.

My wife and I were on the Pearl when the crew member was murdered. We were in the general area about an hour before it happened. We're sure no "Chicken Littles" but we started to feel very uncomfortable with more than a few eyes on us, and headed back to the ship. That's when the captain made the terrible announcement. Also, there was zero police presence outside the port walls. We totally support NCL's decision.

My wife and I were on the Pearl when the crew member was murdered. We were in the general area about an hour before it happened. We're sure no "Chicken Littles" but we started to feel very uncomfortable with more than a few eyes on us, and headed back to the ship. That's when the captain made the terrible announcement. Also, there was zero police presence outside the port walls. We totally support NCL's decision.

It's good to be aware and know when it's time to call it a day. You did the right thing. I too support NCL's decision.

Hi

I am booked to go on the Sun in November and am a bit worried about the stop in Roatan and I hear Belize is a bit dangerous too. Do you think NCL would swap the Cruise to go on another Itinerary from Miami at same price based on the safety issues or do you think this has been resolved now?

I was only going to get off the ship and go on the beach with my 9 month old Grandson whilst his parents and my husband scoober dived but think I would be scared alone even on a beach reading the reports.

Hi

I am booked to go on the Sun in November and am a bit worried about the stop in Roatan and I hear Belize is a bit dangerous too. Do you think NCL would swap the Cruise to go on another Itinerary from Miami at same price based on the safety issues or do you think this has been resolved now?

I was only going to get off the ship and go on the beach with my 9 month old Grandson whilst his parents and my husband scoober dived but think I would be scared alone even on a beach reading the reports.

We have been to Roatan many times, it is one of our favorite ports with wonderful beaches, people and the best snorkeling around. That being said, I don't think I would go out on my own with a 9 month old. The decent beaches are not next to the ports. I would recommend you do a tour via the cruise line.

We did this route a few years ago and loved Rotan. It was our best stop ever.

For those of you still going and wanting an excursion I suggest "Maya Key Resort." The location of this excursion is within sight of the ship docks. It is a private island that limits the number of guest.

Snorkeling, pool, food, animial rehibilation center.

We had a great time and it seemed very safe.

I don't blame NCL for taking extreame saftey measures.

Just looked on NCL Excursion site. Maya Key is listed. $59.00 for adults and $49.00 for kids. Shuttle boat is right at end of dock where ship ties up. Five minute ride to island. Very nice beach. Excellent lunch served.

There is a pool and a wildlife sanctuary. You can stay as long or as little as you want. Shuttles run constantly. Also, there is great snorkelling of the end of the pier that extends from the beach.

This may be moot if NCL is not going there.

Maya Key resort sounds perfect do you know how much it is? I have just looked on NCL website and can't find it under the excursions did you book via them?

Thank you for replies.

Yes we did book through NCL. I don't remember the prices, but the prices Va. Plumber stated sound about right. Out of all of our cruises this is the one trip we enjoyed the most. It was perfect for all members of the family. We stayed all day. We really got our monies worth. My daughter keeps asking if we are going back there on our upcoming cruise.

So if you are on a trip that stops in Rotan it is definately worth the money. Very close to the port

Just was on the Jewel in December.

I did not see a safety issue in either Belize or Roatan, at least where I went.

In Belize we did a city tour (didn't stop anywhere) and then to Altun Ha. I never felt threatened.

In Roatan we went to West Bay Beach, which is FULL of tourists (way too many, in fact) and is your typical safe/touristy beach atmosphere. We also stopped at Bodden's monkey cages, and again, no issue with safety there.

If there's anything that can be scary in these areas, it's the road/driving conditions. That's what worried me the most, not anyone attacking us.

With that said, you need to be sensible and not bring anything out that will attract attention. That means no expensive watches, jewelry, purses, etc. Just look like your average midwestern tourist on a budget and you will be fine.

My family just sailed on the Dawn from April 13 -20 (2 weeks after the unfortunate murder, and 1 week after the ship decided not to stop there). The Dawn DID stop at Roatan. NCL issued verbal and written explanations about what had happened and to be alert and cautious. We had prebooked Maya Key Resort and it was wonderful. There was notable security at the port and we felt completely safe. The resort was Wonderful. It is a privately owned island and only available to cruise ship passengers and the staff that work there. We had a delicious lunch, snorkeled, swam, enjoyed the palm trees and the beautiful view. We could indeed see our ship from the island. The shoreline of the entire island can be walked in 10 minutes and was a delight for my grandchildren (ages 6, 7, and 3). We saw howler monkeys, spider monkeys, and a host of other wildlife being rehabilitated for various reasons. A lady dropped her sunglasses and a spider monkey (George) picked them up and wore them. I am so glad we had that opportunity to visit.

I think NCL made the right decision when they opted not to stop there immediately after the incident whether out of respect for the crew member or to have time to assess the safety of that port.

Maya Key resort sounds perfect do you know how much it is? I have just looked on NCL website and can't find it under the excursions did you book via them?

Thank you for replies.

Someone has already answered your pricing (but that's only if you are sailing with NCL-other ships have different pricing, for instance Carnival charges a lot more for this excursion, and there are also 2 cruise ports to dock at here in Roatan-Carnival docks at Mahogany Bay).

I have a complete review of Maya Key listed in my signature line you can click on and it has TONS of pictures of the place. :)

We are just off the jewel had a wonderful day there last week. There were many police present...had road blocks all over the island...we saw many armed police walking in many parts of the island. Our driver said they are very concerned and will continue to make the area as safe as possible. The jewel gave no explanation about what had happened....just a small paragraph in the daily about being safe and aware. Nothing was mentioned formally about the murder two weeks earlier.

We absolutely felt safe and the island was very beautiful. Our favorite! I would hire a driver through victor bod den on one of the others just to be safe if you are venturing out.