Foreign Currency Obtained While Onboard

Deets

We are getting ready for our first TA. Can someone please explain how the foreign currency machines work on the ship?

** Would we put money in (or credit card) and our desired foreign currency comes out? (We're looking for GBPs and Euros.)

** What is the charge for this?

** Do you recommend getting the currency from our local bank or AAA or getting it while on the ship?

Thank you for your help!

We are getting ready for our first TA. Can someone please explain how the foreign currency machines work on the ship?

** Would we put money in (or credit card) and our desired foreign currency comes out? (We're looking for GBPs and Euros.)

** Do you recommend getting the currency from our local bank or AAA or getting it while on the ship?

Thank you for your help!

Ship charges a bunch. Not favorable exchange rates.

You would be better off exchanging at your bank or onshore at one of the ports.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Another great place to get local currency is from ATM machines after you arrive at a port. use you credit card or debt card and your all set. I however usually get money exchanged before I leave for my cruise, usually at my local bank. But many people do not want to carry much cash so that is when the ATM's come in handy.

I work at a bank and many of our customers say the airport has the best exchange rate, they only order foreign from us when they want certain bill amounts, they say they always redeem any leftovers at the airport when they return

If you want money before your cruise, use Wells Fargo's foreign currency ordering online. It's a breeze. AAA orders their money through Wells Fargo - just about every bank does from what I was told.

If you can wait until you're there, use ATMs. You'll get the best exchange rate. Make sure your ATM card only has 4 numbers (not letters and not 6 numbers).

I work at a bank and many of our customers say the airport has the best exchange rate, they only order foreign from us when they want certain bill amounts, they say they always redeem any leftovers at the airport when they return

Next after exchanging money on a Princess cruise ship, airport exchange booths are the next worst places on the list, especially in US Airports.

And redeeming leftover amounts at the airport when returning home is usually a financial disaster, especially with relatively small amounts. For example, if you have about $25 worth of Euros to exchange for US$, you would be lucky to get even $16 for them after fees are tacked on. Better to keep the foreign currency and either use it on a future trip or sell it to a friend who will be taking a trip.

Some ports have money changers as you disembark. If you mention the ports you may get a better answer.

Same as in some countries you get a better rate there. Others you get a better rate from home.

It really depends on your destination.

Edited by sayaguru

We had the machine on a cruise from Australia to Los Angeles and it worked perfectly when we were using different currencies as we sailed along. Don't know about the exchange, but it sure was convenient.

Since Rorotonga was the last place we'd need New Zealand money, I gathered up all I had and at the end of an excursion told my guide, "Hold out your hands" and then dumped all the coins in and told him I thought it was about five bucks worth. He really got a kick out of being tipped this way.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

Princess ELITE.......... HAL 4*

We do an awful lot of international travel (including on cruises) and always get our foreign currency out of ATMs in the appropriate countries. In fact, we now have 3 separate ATM cards (drawn on 3 different banks) of which 2 have zero fees (other then the standard 1% charged on any foreign ATM transaction). A couple of warnings about using ATMs outside the USA. You should always notify your issuing bank (and your credit card companies) of your upcoming trip and give them your itinerary. For ATMs you should preferably have a 4 digit PIN and you need to know that PIN in numbers (no letters on most foreign ATMs). You also need to be cognizant that there are daily withdrawal limits which can be imposed by your own bank and the foreign banks that own the ATMs. As a general rule we assume a 300 Euro limit and plan accordingly.

Hank

We had the machine on a cruise from Australia to Los Angeles and it worked perfectly when we were using different currencies as we sailed along. Don't know about the exchange, but it sure was convenient.

Since Rorotonga was the last place we'd need New Zealand money, I gathered up all I had and at the end of an excursion told my guide, "Hold out your hands" and then dumped all the coins in and told him I thought it was about five bucks worth. He really got a kick out of being tipped this way.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

Princess ELITE.......... HAL 4*

I know the exchange rates are terrible, but if you're not going to need a lot of money for any one port we find that the convenience of exchanging $ onboard outweighs the exchange rate especially if your itinerary uses several different currencies. We'd rather go ashore with the currency we need wasting precious port time looking for the atm that works with our card.

When we travel abroad we always make sure to come home with enough euros and GBP to at least get from the airport to the hotel for pre-cruise stays, but for short stays in one port we use the ship's atm.

Edited by FritzG

We were charged $4.50 per transaction onboard the Diamond Princess last month in Australia. Plus, the rate of exchange was definitely not in our favor. Costly to exchange onboard as others have stated.

Thank you for your help!

Bank of America customers can obtain foreign currency on line or by ordering at their local bank. Exchange rates are OK, above spot, but far better than TravelEx. You can obtain any currency in small, large or mixed denominations in 2 business days for a $7.50 delivery fee. Don't let them charge $7.50 per currency, is should be $7.50 per order, and free if you order more than $1000 US total. I assume they will also sell to non customers.