Drink Package

suni

TravelCat,

More power to him! Unfortunately MY DH will never think that way!

To each his own. Whatever works, right?

Of course for my DH, since he rarely drinks anything more than a sip of wine, the question is moot! And since I'm happy to do as we have done -- I drink, he doesn't -- it's equally moot.

(If I were traveling on my own I might take the premium package if it entailed bottles of wine at dinner rather than the selected glasses... since it doesn't, I pass.)

Mura

Your quoted comment really hit a chord with me. My DH (British) has lived as a tightwad for his whole life and is quite proud of it (so am I -- it enables us to do what we are doing). He knows that if he had to sign for a drink he would start thinking about the price, the tip, etc. There is no way he would pay $10 for a drink, for instance. So, he "bites the bullet" and pays for the alcohol package and doesn't have to think about it further. Perhaps this is a strange way of thinking but it works for him. When we are not on vacation, he continues to be ultra thrifty on a daily basis. He saved his whole life in order to live the lifestyle we now live. I can't tell you how much I admire him:)

We have just ordered the premium package for the same reasons you do. I wouldnt order an expensive drink if I didn't have the pkg. For us it is just psycological but it works.

The psychological thing wouldn't work with us. The first time we sailed on Regent, with it's open bar policy, we had fewer drinks than we might on Oceania (the second time we sailed Regent, we forced ourselves go take better advantage and ended up with one drink each, each day). We enjoy a cocktail, especially with friends, but we just tend not to think in that direction.

We're with Mura when it comes to wine; we prefer to buy a bottle. Other than wine, our bar bill for an average cruise tends to be one day of the premium beverage package. We do bring spirits onto the ship for use in the cabin as Betsy likes a nightcap, often a liqueur on ice, and local beer for her to try while watching a movie. I prefer diet colas, which I consume in great quantity.

I am not a tightwad BUT (!) having the drinks package means I never think about what a drink costs. I just order it when I want it. I don't care if I get my "money's worth" from it and certainly would not order another drink just because I had either "paid for it" or I had to keep up my daily balance. And I do not mind signing for drinks. What I do not like is having a niggling thought in my mind that another Calva would be nice but would cost me another $15 plus tip.

And that is why I take the drinks package... I also hate tips BTW! Here at home we do not tip. The tip is included in the price of the meal/drink/hotel whatever.

And that is why I take the drinks package... I also hate tips BTW! Here at home we do not tip. The tip is included in the price of the meal/drink/hotel whatever.

Just look at the total on the chit ...tip is included ;)

Funny how some people rationalize paying for the drinks package :D

If it works for you buy it if it does not then do not buy it

Why explain to others your rational for doing so :confused:

Edited by LHT28

We explain it to others because they ask -- just like everything else we explain on Cruise Critic. Other peoples rationale may be different than ours but it is helpful to hear all points of view. I certainly liked reading posts with different viewpoints.

Presumably because Party A's rationalization / explanation could well provide insight to Party B and allow the second party to evaluate to what degree, if any, A's factors are relevant to B. I see it as trying to be helpful.

I would not choose a drinks package for longer than 7-10 days not because of cost but because of the pure health ramifications of potentially un restricted use for 4 5 or 6 continuous weeks.

Its just basic physiology that the more you drink and the longer you drink, the less you think you drink.... Too easy to go a little overboard..an I do not mean the rail...

Me, I am human an I know the risks of being such.

I would not choose a drinks package for longer than 7-10 days not because of cost but because of the pure health ramifications of potentially un restricted use for 4 5 or 6 continuous weeks.

Its just basic physiology that the more you drink and the longer you drink, the less you think you drink.... Too easy to go a little overboard..an I do not mean the rail...

I think it depends upon the person. My DH and enjoy a couple glasses of wine, beer or a cocktail almost every day (2 of whatever it is) and have done so for years. Thankfully our health (and livers) are just fine. While we drink a bit more when we cruise (a before and after dinner drink), the amount does not increase as the days go on. We sail on Regent where drinks are always available. While we have not been onboard for 4, 5 or 6 continuous weeks, we have been onboard for 3 weeks and our upcoming sailing will be 4 weeks.

I do agree that the cost is quite high when you are buying the alcohol package for more than a week or two.

Edited by Travelcat2

Isn't it nice we have choices on Oceania.

We don't have to pay for drinks if we don't want them at all (as we would have to do e.g. on Regent).

We can pay as we go (for those who drink occasionally and don't see value in a package).

We can buy a drink package and not think about the cost (for those who see value in a package and don't want a bar bill at the end of the cruise).

To me, that's the best part of this whole discussion.

I think it depends upon the person. My DH and enjoy a couple glasses of wine, beer or a cocktail almost every day (2 of whatever it is) and have done so for years. Thankfully our health (and livers) are just fine. While we drink a bit more when we cruise (a before and after dinner drink), the amount does not increase as the days go on. We sail on Regent where drinks are always available. While we have not been onboard for 4, 5 or 6 continuous weeks, we have been onboard for 3 weeks and our upcoming sailing will be 4 weeks.

I do agree that the cost is quite high when you are buying the alcohol package for more than a week or two.

Yes, when the cost of liquor for 2 persons equals 25% of the cruise fare...it can give a moment of pause.. but that's secondary.

I remember when I was conferences and like meetings, a lot It was very difficult to be in a drinking environment and keep under control. I mean it is pavlovian ... Being in a bar/around bars 18 hours a day and not be affected is tempting . For some like being in a chocolate store.. it doesn't have to be liquor... food, Tobacco, .

More power to you if you can exercise that level of will power.

I used to see a lot of people, both sexes, start with a drink and in a few days pound down 4 to 5 drinks without thinking to later recall they only" had a few... As time went on the drinks started with single s and after 2 went to doubles"..

I guess playing old tapes gives me pause to reflect on just how easy it is to loose control for the majority. Id rather have great memories from a month at sea not a GI problem.

Does anyone think that the cruise line is not making big bucks off the drink package! A friend of ours had the package and it seems that it was almost as time consuming as signing for the drink.

We tend to have a pre dinner drink and wine with dinner. I found it easier and cheaper to bring wine onboard and pay the corkage rather than the inflated wine prices + service charge, which would be ok if you got any service except for opening your bottle. (You can do that yourself if it is screw top). The glasses are already on the table. You also get to pick out the wines you like or try the local ones especially at stops in Italy, France and Spain.

Does anyone think that the cruise line is not making big bucks off the drink package! A friend of ours had the package and it seems that it was almost as time consuming as signing for the drink.

We tend to have a pre dinner drink and wine with dinner. I found it easier and cheaper to bring wine onboard and pay the corkage rather than the inflated wine prices + service charge, which would be ok if you got any service except for opening your bottle. (You can do that yourself if it is screw top). The glasses are already on the table. You also get to pick out the wines you like or try the local ones especially at stops in Italy, France and Spain.

EVERYTHING ON BOARD is a profit center. Oceania is a business looking to make money.

Actually I believe alcohol is the biggest money maker on ANY ship - whether sold in a package or not.

EVERYTHING ON BOARD is a profit center. Oceania is a business looking to make money.

Actually I believe alcohol is the biggest money maker on ANY ship - whether sold in a package or not.

That's true. The line makes money on all they sell and they must make a profit to stay in business. The question is in the mass market world where the fare is very low it is expected to pay lots for all add ons. When the fare is rather high then it seem's odd when the add ons are even higher.

That's true. The line makes money on all they sell and they must make a profit to stay in business. The question is in the mass market world where the fare is very low it is expected to pay lots for all add ons. When the fare is rather high then it seem's odd when the add ons are even higher.

The price is higher for many reasons

among them -- better staff to passenger ratio, better quality ingredients needed for food, free specialties, fewer passengers to share the overhead (you need a captain, a CD, a housekeeping supervisor, a chef etc no matter how large the ship), better linens and bedding -- the higher fare gives you better basics.

The price is higher for many reasons

among them -- better staff to passenger ratio, better quality ingredients needed for food, free specialties, fewer passengers to share the overhead (you need a captain, a CD, a housekeeping supervisor, a chef etc no matter how large the ship), better linens and bedding -- the higher fare gives you better basics.

Yes, you are right the fare is higher, but the question is why is everything extra also much higher than the mass market lines. As you say the higher fare should cover the better basics so why should the exact shore trip on NCL cost 69$ and on Oceania cost 139$?? A bud on NCL cost 5$ and Oceania 7$. I think Oceania feels they have a more alfulent cliental who will pay more without complaining. It is what it is.

Yes, you are right the fare is higher, but the question is why is everything extra also much higher than the mass market lines. As you say the higher fare should cover the better basics so why should the exact shore trip on NCL cost 69$ and on Oceania cost 139$?? A bud on NCL cost 5$ and Oceania 7$. I think Oceania feels they have a more alfulent cliental who will pay more without complaining. It is what it is.

It's capitalism. They charge what the traffic will bear.

What is the corkage fee if you bring your own bottle?

I believe it is $25 one time fee per bottle that you take to the dining venues

If you drink it in your cabin ..no charge

why should the exact shore trip on NCL cost 69$ and on Oceania cost 139$?? A bud on NCL cost 5$ and Oceania 7$.

Once again, you post your knee jerk reaction, which is always a negative-

Has it ever occurred to you that NCL gets a far sweeter deal from the Tour Operator because they are dragging fifteen or twenty THOUSAND patrons through those Tours in a given week while Oceania can only promise (maybe) a few hundred?

The same goes for the beer, NCL pays a fraction of Oceania's base cost for buying millions of cans per year as opposed to O's tens of thousands.

I don't ask you to believe me when it comes to these facts, just look at the progression of the cruise business as a whole.

The reason why new Cruise ships continue to get bigger and bigger is that costs drop DRAMATICALLY with volume, and that goes for absolutely everything from Shore Excursions to Tonic Water to Rug Shampoo.

Yes, Oceania fares are not inexpensive but you must add in the value of the smaller ship, plus the far flung ports and the far more upscale environment. It is unfair to ask such a company to compete price-wise, ON ANY LEVEL- with companies such as NCL which are offering 5 day cruises starting at $299.00.

It's like asking why La Cirque does not do a $2.50 hamburger

Yeah, we get the message. How often need it be repeated? As an alcoholic, I cannot figure out why O needs $60/day for this package. We have our first O experience in a few months and hope this package works better than what we had on Celebrity.

Once again, you post your knee jerk reaction, which is always a negative-

Has it ever occurred to you that NCL gets a far sweeter deal from the Tour Operator because they are dragging fifteen or twenty THOUSAND patrons through those Tours in a given week while Oceania can only promise (maybe) a few hundred?

The same goes for the beer, NCL pays a fraction of Oceania's base cost for buying millions of cans per year as opposed to O's tens of thousands.

I don't ask you to believe me when it comes to these facts, just look at the progression of the cruise business as a whole.

The reason why new Cruise ships continue to get bigger and bigger is that costs drop DRAMATICALLY with volume, and that goes for absolutely everything from Shore Excursions to Tonic Water to Rug Shampoo.

Yes, Oceania fares are not inexpensive but you must add in the value of the smaller ship, plus the far flung ports and the far more upscale environment. It is unfair to ask such a company to compete price-wise, ON ANY LEVEL- with companies such as NCL which are offering 5 day cruises starting at $299.00.

It's like asking why La Cirque does not do a $2.50 hamburger

More simply put -- economies of scale. Same reason you can buy stuff cheaper in Walmart than in the local mom and pop store.

No one should have the expectation that they are going to pay the same price on an upscale cruise line as they do on a mass market line for anything. The comparison is IMO silly.

If you want cheap beer and cheap shore excursions, choose a line that has them. Oceania is not the line for you.