Juneau Whale Watch Help Please!

travln1234

I want to go on Harv & Marv, however we have a member of our party who we are afraid cannot step up into the boat (it is suggested on their website that there are large steps to get into the boat). Our family member has 2 knee replacements which didn't take well.

Is there a whale watching company (even the larger one by the cruise line) that uses a ramp to enter the boat?

Or does anyone have photos of what it looks like to get into the boat when stepping up the steps?

Thank you!

Edited by travln1234

Allen Marine Tours is the company that provides the ship tours, at least, they do for HAL. This link takes you to their accessibility guidelines for the Whale Watch & Wildlife Quest tour: http://www.allenmarinetours.com/accessibility/juneau-wwwq.html. Allen Marine's website is: http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/whale-watching/index.html.

Basically, it says yes to manual and electric wheelchairs; no to electric scooters. To accomodate wheelchairs, they should have a ramp. It sounds like the only steps to encounter are the 3 - 4 steps to board/disembark the bus.

I'm sure you could always call them to confirm. Good Luck!

Allen Marine Tours is the company that provides the ship tours, at least, they do for HAL. This link takes you to their accessibility guidelines for the Whale Watch & Wildlife Quest tour: http://www.allenmarinetours.com/accessibility/juneau-wwwq.html. Allen Marine's website is: http://www.allenmarinetours.com/sightseeing/juneau/tours/whale-watching/index.html.

Basically, it says yes to manual and electric wheelchairs; no to electric scooters. To accomodate wheelchairs, they should have a ramp. It sounds like the only steps to encounter are the 3 - 4 steps to board/disembark the bus.

I'm sure you could always call them to confirm. Good Luck!

Just to add - Allen Marine did a great job on our tour in late Sept. I did not pay attention to the handicap issues however, so cannot help on that.

Thank you soooo much! She is not in a wheelchair or scooter, she just can't bend her knees well. Stairs in the bus are okay. We worried about a moving boat and the large lip at the dock.

These replies totally just made my day! Thank you!!

Thank you soooo much! She is not in a wheelchair or scooter, she just can't bend her knees well. Stairs in the bus are okay. We worried about a moving boat and the large lip at the dock.

She should be fine on the Allen Marine tour. I had foot problems at the time and the worse part of the tour for me was the bus stairs. There is a ladder to the top of the boat that might be tough for her, but it really is not necessary to go up there.

DaveOKC

It became very rough when we were out with Harv and Marv last summer. So rough we had to change to a larger boat before heading back to the dock. It would have been difficult for anyone with mobility issues to go from one boat to the other in those conditions. Doesn't happen often but something to consider.

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises. They give excellent service to special needs. This does have to be requested when you reserve, but they do have accessible buses and boats. My husband is a wheel chair user and I have seen scooters on their larger boat. They will gladly place their ramp for getting on their boat.

We were on the same boat as Glaciers last summer on Harv and Marv. I agree that mobility issues would have been a nightmare. There was someone with no apparent issues that had a lot of trouble. Rocky waters, and rocking boats are not good or safe, especially with an inexperienced captain.