Cancelling/Rebooking-No Trip Insurance

roseaxel

We are booked to cruise April 28th, and today my MIL had a massive stroke. Her situation is not good, and we need to decide about the cruise. We do not have the travel insurance. If we cancel the cruise, but re-book for a later date, what will it cost us? Will they just charge us a re-booking fee, or will we lose all of what we paid($1900).

Would appreciate input from anyone who has had this experience in the past.

First off, I am so sorry about your Mother in Law. Prayers lifted for all.

If you go to manage my cruise there is a tab that says "Is there a penalty for cancelling this booking" It will tell you exactly how much. This close to sailing it will be about 2/3 or more of the total cost. Unfortunately, this money is lost. As the cruise gets closer the amount increases but I don't know the interval. I know at 14 days prior it was 100% when I had a similar situation a few years ago.

Sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope things work out.

In Dec. 2013, at the 46 day mark I realized we weren't going to be able to make our cruise. We didn't have insurance. At the time, they said the penalty was like $1350 which would leave us with a $50 credit. I cancelled anyway because we had no choice. About a month ago I called to find out if I still had a small credit that I could apply to our next cruise. I was told that I had an $1100 credit. I was only charged $250 cancellation fee from our previous booking. I know what Carnival's cancellation policy is and they were very generous to us.

Edited by Dubsolute

Unfortunately, the cruise line will asses the appropriate cancelation fee whether you rebook for a later date or not.

You can always call and see if they can do something for you. Although they are not supposed to, and those who buy insurance exactly for situations like this will feel it's not fair that you may get the benefits of insurance without paying for it, Carnival does make exceptions. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your responses. Looks like we will be lose about $1300 if we cancel in the next 2 days. After that, the full $1900. We'll need to decide what to do, and then I will at least call our PVP to see if she can help in any way. Just one of those things that happens that you can't foresee. Makes a good case for the insurance.

Thanks for your responses. Looks like we will be lose about $1300 if we cancel in the next 2 days. After that, the full $1900. We'll need to decide what to do, and then I will at least call our PVP to see if she can help in any way. Just one of those things that happens that you can't foresee. Makes a good case for the insurance.

Anyone ever do a name change?

Is there any chance they could only charge a name change fee, if you possibly found someone who could take over your reservation?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Anyone ever do a name change?

Is there any chance they could only charge a name change fee, if you possibly found someone who could take over your reservation?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Two years ago, similar situation, one of the original passengers must sail and you can do a name change for the second passenger. Again there are time limits on this. I don't remember the details of dates. Unfortunately, I don't think that will work for OP

Sorry about your MIL, but....if you are going to loose that much money anyway., why not just wait and see? She could linger on for a long time, she could recover, or she could pass quickly. What would she want you to do? You still have over 2 weeks and alot could happen in that time and you might need the getaway after all the stress of dealing with her illness. I am not a cold person but my sister was in this situation last year when our mom was sick. Luckily my sister had insurance and cancelled. Our mom passed and we buried her before my sister was supposed to leave. My sister regretted cancelling her trip.

...one of the original passengers must sail and you can do a name change for the second passenger.

There's a little trick to get two people to take over a booking originally for two other people. It won't give the OP all of their money back, but it will minimize the financial hit.

Assuming that the booking wasn't made using Early Saver, they can change the name of one of the original passengers to one of the new ones. They can then ADD the second new passenger as a third passenger. One of the original passengers will still show in the reservation but that person will be a "no show".

This way, they will only need to pay the reduced 3rd passenger price and one name change fee. Once again, it won't allow the OP to recuperate all of their money, but paying a 3rd pax rate is going to be a lot easier to swallow than loosing $1,900!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Name/pax changes can be done up to and including morning of sailing for $50, if not booked ES or another restricted fare.

The only problem booking a third person is they would need to get a three pax cabin. Computer doesn't know one would be a no show. Need to price it out. Might not be a savings.

Sorry about your MIL, but....if you are going to loose that much money anyway., why not just wait and see? She could linger on for a long time, she could recover, or she could pass quickly. What would she want you to do? You still have over 2 weeks and alot could happen in that time and you might need the getaway after all the stress of dealing with her illness. I am not a cold person but my sister was in this situation last year when our mom was sick. Luckily my sister had insurance and cancelled. Our mom passed and we buried her before my sister was supposed to leave. My sister regretted cancelling her trip.

I am thinking along those lines, thomarvin. We were told today that MIL could at best last 7-10 days without extreme measures to keep her alive, which she did not want nor does DH. So, I have been thinking all day that I just may not cancel and wait and see. And there is a chance that in 18 days, she will have passed and we could actually go on the cruise. DH would definitely need it. I don't want to sound like a cold person, but she is 87, has been in a nursing home almost 6 years, bedridden, in poor health. It is always hard to let someone go, but she has no quality of life and it has aged my DH 10 years in the last 5 just dealing with her situation.

I am so sorry about your MIL.

My mother has had two strokes in the past 5 years. The 2nd one was major, and she didn't recover use of the left side of her body.:mad:

With that being said, it sounds like maybe you can hold off another day or two, before you get up to losing $1900.

We never buy insurance, either, so don't beat yourself up over it.

It's a gamble. You cannot foresee the future, and wouldn't think this kind of stuff would happen, but it clearly does.

Keep us updated. Prayers to your MIL..:(

I am so sorry about your MIL.

We never buy insurance, either, so don't beat yourself up over it.

It's a gamble. You cannot foresee the future, and wouldn't think this kind of stuff would happen, but it clearly does.

Keep us updated. Prayers to your MIL..:(

It sure does, there are many many stories here like that. Sorry to hear about the MIL.

Thanks for your brave posting KP. While there are many many stories that make the case for insurance, there are many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many folks who cruise w/o insurance and have pocketed this significant expense.

Crazy that the price is the same, regarless of this risk factors of the inusured. At this point, we have paid for any out lay that might come from a cancelation - but it won't stop us from asking for consideration from the cruiseline if our cruise cancelation number should come up. As we and our parents age, we are at the higher end of the risk pool, so it might make sense for us moving forward.

So sorry about your MIL. I read recently where a couple had the exact same thing happen and Carnival let them switch to a cruise a month out from the one they were originally scheduled for and it cost them very little to do so. However, as more and more people begin to request this (and it's going to happen as the baby boom generation ages) and more and more don't take out insurance - Carnival will probably stop being quite so generous with this "favor" - and I use the word favor because it does state very plainly in all of our contracts that we won't get a refund after a certain date for any reason. That being said I once again would like to offer my sympathies for what you are going through. What a difficult position both emotionally and financially.

Thinking of you and your family - totally understand about ill, aging parents - my mom has been in a nursing home for 2 years with alz - our prayer is every night that she will just go to sleep - many things worse than death.

We always take the insurance (not only for the cruise but air, hotels, etc.) just because you never know - hoping that you can go on your trip.

Thanks for your brave posting KP. While there are many many stories that make the case for insurance, there are many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many folks who cruise w/o insurance and have pocketed this significant expense.

Crazy that the price is the same, regarless of this risk factors of the inusured. At this point, we have paid for any out lay that might come from a cancelation - but it won't stop us from asking for consideration from the cruiseline if our cruise cancelation number should come up. As we and our parents age, we are at the higher end of the risk pool, so it might make sense for us moving forward.

It has nothing to do with whether you ask the cruise line for comp or not. There are two factors in non-cruise line insurance costs. Your age and the cost of the trip (maybe does not factor for you, but kids are usually free). It's a no brainer, that was my point. Your are correct in that if nothing happens, you pocket the cost of the insurance (can't beleive how you made your point on my many many but whatever works:rolleyes:), the other side is the huge potential for loss (of the cost of the trip) or god forbid something more castastrophic - while on vacation. Like most thoings in life, it's a gamble. If you gamble (knowingly) one way, than don't come crying when the opposite happens.

I am thinking along those lines, thomarvin. We were told today that MIL could at best last 7-10 days without extreme measures to keep her alive, which she did not want nor does DH. So, I have been thinking all day that I just may not cancel and wait and see. And there is a chance that in 18 days, she will have passed and we could actually go on the cruise. DH would definitely need it. I don't want to sound like a cold person, but she is 87, has been in a nursing home almost 6 years, bedridden, in poor health. It is always hard to let someone go, but she has no quality of life and it has aged my DH 10 years in the last 5 just dealing with her situation.

I just wanted you both to know that I do not think you are cold at all.

We had a similar situation back in 2009. One week before our cruise, my dad ended up in the hospital in a non-responsive state. Though we did have insurance, we did not know what to do. The doctor told us he could be like that for a while, or could go immediately. My dad LOVED cruising and would have been very upset had we cancelled. We definitely would have needed the distraction of the cruise had the worst happened. It was such a tough decision.

Our story did end happily as he woke later that day. His first words were, "I'm hungry." No one knows what happened to him. We went on our cruise and had an extra 10 months with my dad.

My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time, roseaxel.

We are booked to cruise April 28th, and today my MIL had a massive stroke. Her situation is not good, and we need to decide about the cruise. We do not have the travel insurance. If we cancel the cruise, but re-book for a later date, what will it cost us? Will they just charge us a re-booking fee, or will we lose all of what we paid($1900).

Would appreciate input from anyone who has had this experience in the past.

Prayers go out to you and your family.

Please keep us posted on what happens.

My father died in 2004 at 100yrs + 351 days. His quality of life had been very poor since his 98th birthday. It was very hard on the family.

You don't sound like a cold person at all. This is really going to come down to what your DH feels comfortable doing. I know if I were in his shoes I would want to save the cruise and I know that my own mother would have wanted me to go, too. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

It pays to shop around- for our upcoming cruise I bought insurance at the time of booking (which was 15 months before the cruise) for $30 per person (obviously not through the cruise line). Our main motivator for getting insurance is for medical expense and medical evacuation, both of which can be pricey.

Stop posting here and call the cruise line . It will not be the first time that your call falls upon a sympathetic ear at CCL and they let you rebook without penalty .

Especially if your cruise is already heavily booked up.

This upsets those like me who purchase insurance, but it does happen.

Thanks to all who expressed kind words. Unfortunately, MIL did pass away this morning. I had not cancelled the cruise. I decided to just wait and see. She died peacefully, and is now at rest after years of really just existing. So although we are sad, we feel relief that she did not linger on, and if there is a heaven, I know she is there. She was a wonderful lady, who always did for everyone but herself.

So sorry for your loss - I know I had a cruise plan for last September and my mom had passed away 1 week before the cruise. We still went because she was ill for 2 years and felt that we needed time to just relax even it if meant just staying in our room and enjoying our balconyl