A new ex-Azamara cruiser

tmfsmith

Having just got home from the TA on Quest I find the OP's comments to be so far removed from our experience, it's as if we were on a different cruise line.

We had no problems with service of any kind and found there were often little helpful touches that only improved the overall experience, like the last morning at breakfast, when, as an example, the waiter noticed my wife was unwell and went out of his way to get her a chamomile tea with honey and lemon as well as a couple of energiser drinks.

Another example, earlier in the cruise, I'd spoken to Hotel Director, Philip Herbert, to enquire about the tender process as I'd organised a CC group walking tour in Cannes. Rather than just pass this on to one of his team, Philip took all the details and ensured that everything was organised so our group could tender together and in time for the start of the tour.

I could go on with more details (and probably will when I finally manage to finish the review I'm working on) but our time on Azamara Quest was excellent, probably the best cruise of the seventeen we've achieved so far and without doubt the friendliest and most helpful crew we've ever encountered at all levels.

So glad you posted.

Your experience replicates all of my lovely cruises on Quest.

I join Journey on Monday for five weeks and will be happy to do that or maybe during the trip.

Phil

Hi Phil,

My husband and I are joining Journey in Athens on 2nd May. Are you joining the Roll Call from there? Maybe see you onboard. Hope you enjoy your sail from Mumbai.

Looking forward to enjoying a strawberry daiquiri or two:cool:

I join Journey on Monday for five weeks and will be happy to do that or maybe during the trip.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Im on Eclipse this week. Having a beautiful day in St. Lucia. Enjoy your time on journey, and please send my warm regards to capt. Johannes and Heike.

Having just got home from the TA on Quest I find the OP's comments to be so far removed from our experience, it's as if we were on a different cruise line.

No one should be surprised.

Have you ever read the posted reviews on CC? People on the identical cruise describe completely contrary experiences. It happens all the time. One cruiser gives the cruise 5 stars and says he booked another cruise while on board, while the other gives the cruise 1 star and says he will never cruise the line again.

Same cruise -- totally different experience. BOTH experiences are valid.

Everyone's perception of his or her cruise is valid. it is that person's EXPERIENCE. The fact that others may have had a totally different experience does not negate that fact.

The problem here is that some of you think the OP COULD NOT POSSIBLY have had a terrible service experience on Azamara. I think it's possible on EVERY cruise line. Folks should be more respectful of people's experiences IMO. Snide remarks and attacks are disgraceful.

pacheco18...that is true. But why would the OP start yet another negative thread...it was not necessary and I'm happy to see it's been removed.

We've stayed at a resort in the Caribbean and after reading some people's reviews, if we didin't know better, we would never book the hotel because of those negative reviews I've read on tripadvisor. Some of them are so far out of line, it's truly pathetic.

And yes...to each his own.

To those of you who are getting ready to sail, enjoy your vacation. I can't wait to hear all about them.

Host Andy...have a couple of Pitons for me. ;) :D

i havent found anything really insulting in this thread. i value reading about all experiences, when i read negative ones and then other posts that have had more positive helps a lot. i have my first azamara cruise booked and i can only judge for myself but i am more prepared reading what more seasoned azamara cruisers have had to say.

i think the post that people have said they were offended and was taken down wasn't very offensive to me, moreso it was a valid reaction to another poster who hasn't sailed or booked with the line and just seems to be making snide comments. i find those type of comments worse since i'm actually booked and really trying to learn here :)

i really hope there is no problem getting a club soda at dinner! now if someone said they couldn't get wine then i'd be REALLY worried :eek:

[quote name='jennifers490']i havent found anything really insulting in this thread. i value reading about all experiences, when i read negative ones and then other posts that have had more positive helps a lot. i have my first azamara cruise booked and i can only judge for myself but i am more prepared reading what more seasoned azamara cruisers have had to say.
i think the post that people have said they were offended and was taken down wasn't very offensive to me, moreso it was a valid reaction to another poster who hasn't sailed or booked with the line and just seems to be making snide comments. i find those type of comments worse since i'm actually booked and really trying to learn here :)

i really hope there is no problem getting a club soda at dinner! now if someone said they couldn't get wine then i'd be REALLY worried :eek:[/QUOTE]

So far, Coke Zero seems to have been the issue, perhaps because the demand is negligible.

[quote name='jennifers490']i
i really hope there is no problem getting a club soda at dinner! now if someone said they couldn't get wine then i'd be REALLY worried :eek:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no problem, my club soda glass and my wine glass were both kept topped up all through dinner every night on my last cruise (17 nights of consistency)

To return to the OP's concerns, I think the laudable action taken by him was that, rather than let the issues fester, he did take his complaints to supervising officials while onboard.

He was not satisfied by their responses, nor by the failure of Larry Pimmentel to acknowledge his dissatisfaction.

We all can decide as to whether those staff responses were appropriate, but the OP saw them as symptomatic of a larger "decline in service" issue.

I hope his next cruise provides the attention to detail that he expects and the experience that he enjoys.

[quote name='nordski']To return to the OP's concerns, I think the laudable action taken by him was that, rather than let the issues fester, he did take his complaints to supervising officials while onboard.

He was not satisfied by their responses, nor by the failure of Larry Pimmentel to acknowledge his dissatisfaction.

We all can decide as to whether those staff responses were appropriate, but the OP saw them as symptomatic of a larger "decline in service" issue.

I hope his next cruise provides the attention to detail that he expects and the experience that he enjoys.[/QUOTE]
Hear hear:)

[quote name='nordski']So far, Coke Zero seems to have been the issue, perhaps because the demand is negligible.[/QUOTE]

I am a coke zero person and didn't have any problem getting a coke zero in January on the Quest but I admit I ordered wine most of the time in the MDR. Maybe a coke zero a couple of times at lunch in the MDR without a problem.

[quote name='beachseeker']I am a coke zero person and didn't have any problem getting a coke zero in January on the Quest but I admit I ordered wine most of the time in the MDR. Maybe a coke zero a couple of times at lunch in the MDR without a problem.[/QUOTE]

Availability of certain soft drinks could be a function on the local supplier in the destination port.

[quote name='pacheco18']Availability of certain soft drinks could be a function on the local supplier in the destination port.[/quote]
Right. One of our local supermarkets had two-liter Coca-Cola on sale this week for 88 cents, but had no caffeine-free Coke Zero on the shelves. I've had frequent problems finding it in supermarkets, when the shelves were overflowing with every other flavor of Coke.

The key thing is that there was never an issue of "corporate policy" preventing the serving of soda in the dining room, as the OP led us to believe in the first posting. It was very specific to the availability of Coke Zero on that cruise at that dinner, and that's how it should have been presented. As bottomfeeder wrote above, "there has to be more to the story." Turns out...there was.

Similarly, the issue of changing a five-dollar bill was later clarified in the ill-fated first posting on the now-deleted second thread. Turns out the Guest Relations desk was concerned about running out of singles to make change, something I've encountered at a number of good hotels in several countries when I try to break the large bills (e.g., 50 and 100 euro notes) dispensed by ATM machines.

While everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, everyone is not entitled to his or her own facts. And it would be useful in making postings critical to a cruise line if people would give the complete story, not just the aspects of it that make their side of the situation look good, or sound the most inflammatory. Edited by marinaro44