Getting an Upgrade?

Hi all!

I have a very odd question. My fiance and I booked our cruise through Royal Caribbean's website. And at the time since I am a C&A member (went on 1 cruise before haha) that we could select to automatically be upgraded.

Does this happen often? And would it help to mention it's our honeymoon when we go to check in?

Thanks!

I've never been upgraded. And I've also heard of others that have been upgraded. I would say that the odds of getting upgraded are really low. I heard a rumor (maybe truth) that the upgrades have changed and they are only limited to higher tiers in the crown & anchor.

Good luck!

I've never been upgraded. And I've also heard of others that have been upgraded. I would say that the odds of getting upgraded are really low. I heard a rumor (maybe truth) that the upgrades have changed and they are only limited to higher tiers in the crown & anchor.

Good luck!

I wish that were the case, but our experience is that there are very few C&A upgrades anymore. The revenue dept. does the overwhelming number of upgrades, freeing up staterooms they think they have a better chance of selling close to the cruise date. If they do their job well, there are no C&A upgrades to be had.

Over thirty cruises and never an upgrade.

Having said that, however, there are stories from some with only one or two cruises that they were upgraded. The presumed logic is that RCCL wants to hook them on better cabins in the future.

.... and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Be sure to tell the dining room wait staff that it is your honeymoon. Who knows, maybe they will surprise you in some way!

Edited by yogimax

I have only ever been on one cruise and so I'm "Gold" status with a whole 8 points haha! But, I'm just excited for the cruise! And it will be my soon-to-be husband's first :)

I'm envious. Hard to beat that feeling you have on the first cruise.:)

I have been upgrades a few times, in the old days I used to book inside rooms and got upgraded to outside several times on RCCL. Best upgrade I ever got was my only Celeberity cruise booked normal balcony and got a sky suite with a butler.

Hi all!

I have a very odd question. My fiance and I booked our cruise through Royal Caribbean's website. And at the time since I am a C&A member (went on 1 cruise before haha) that we could select to automatically be upgraded.

Does this happen often? And would it help to mention it's our honeymoon when we go to check in?

Thanks!

Here is what Royal Caribbean has on the website:

COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADES

From time to time Royal Caribbean has a very small number of staterooms that become available for upgrades during the week prior to sailing. Should these staterooms become available, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will be the first to be offered a complimentary upgrade. We have worked to make the process simpler and more efficient. Effective November 11th, 2013, for those that wish to be considered for an upgrade, please take a moment to select your upgrade preferences online. If an upgrade becomes available to you, we will contact you within a week of your sailing via the email address provided in your My Cruises account.

They don't happen very often, but if you are sailing on a ship that isn't full it is possible. Congrats on the wedding. Hope you enjoy the cruise.

What's an upgrade? :(

Never had one happen to me.

On our first cruise, we actually won the Love and Marriage Game show. Everyone recognized us on the ship afterwards.

Edited by reedl

Thanks for the advice. My last cruise I was with my high school choir in 2007 and we were on Majesty of the Seas.

We will be on Enchantment for our honeymoon and I can't wait!! :) We booked a balcony room (my last was inside, and he's never been on one).

I will definitely let the waiters know its our honeymoon and I will have to check out the Love & Marriage show (if I can get my darling fiance to agree haha!)

Hi,

If you booked directly you can add a "celebration" to your booking, including honeymoons. We got a couple of nice treats on our honeymoon.

I have never been called randomly re upgrades. But due to a massive price drop for an upcoming cruise I called Crown and Anchor about 30days out from sailing (even though we are uk based and rcc don't usually do anything about price drops) and we got upgraded from inside to guarantee balcony...just logged onto our booking and we have been allocated an aft balcony :eek:

Just be polite and go into the situation thinking "what's the worst that could happen?"

:D

A TA can add the "honeymoon" celebration to your reservation as well. You will most likely get invited to a "honeymooners reception." On our honeymoon cruise (which was also my husband's first cruise), there were 54 honeymooning couples! I was astounded. We were THISCLOSE to getting selected for the Love & Marriage show, I was so bummed.

Have a wonderful wedding and a fantastic honeymoon!

I wish that were the case, but our experience is that there are very few C&A upgrades anymore. The revenue dept. does the overwhelming number of upgrades, freeing up staterooms they think they have a better chance of selling close to the cruise date. If they do their job well, there are no C&A upgrades to be had.

This is always how I have received an upgrade. Never with c&a.

Hi all!

Thanks!

I have noticed that unlike hotels where an upgrade is always a possibility paid/unpaid...with the ships....it just doesn't happen. Don't count on it and just book the room you want.

yes we read about upgrades here on CC but...remember that is 1 person on a ship of perhaps 4k people...its often to do with capacity and booking people to higher rooms to sell lower ones.

congrats on your honeymoon but just book the room you are happiest with and hope for the best. :)

Hi,

If you booked directly you can add a "celebration" to your booking, including honeymoons. We got a couple of nice treats on our honeymoon.

:D

Thanks!

We did this when we booked online. So you never know. I was just told by friends who have recently gotten married to make sure to let people know it's your honeymoon. To be honest, I feel weird about bragging about it to get stuff. But one friend did it and ended up in First Class on both flights. So you never know I guess. To me it just feels weird to be like "it's my honeymoon anything you can do for me?"

They are super lucky that they got upgraded to First Class. My husband has status on the airline we flew and it still did nothing for us! In fact they moved our seats to not be next to each other at first. Talk about starting the honeymoon off on the wrong foot :(

They are super lucky that they got upgraded to First Class. My husband has status on the airline we flew and it still did nothing for us! In fact they moved our seats to not be next to each other at first. Talk about starting the honeymoon off on the wrong foot :(

Oh no! That's no good! :(

To be honest I'm not all that concerned with the upgrades. More concerned with just having a good time and not missing the ship haha

Enchantment of the Seas awaits! :D

Six months ago I would have given the same answer. However I have been the recipient of two C & A upgrades from outside to balcony in the last 6 months. A lot of other folks on our roll calls also received C & A upgrades. So maybe things are changing.

We have had four upgrades over the years. 2 in the last three years. Each one was for our anniversary cruise. We just got an upgrade to a suite on next months Alaska cruise aboard the Rhapsody. I would suggest you let them know it's your honeymoon! Congratulations and start building your memory bank!

We have had four upgrades over the years. 2 in the last three years. Each one was for our anniversary cruise. We just got an upgrade to a suite on next months Alaska cruise aboard the Rhapsody. I would suggest you let them know it's your honeymoon! Congratulations and start building your memory bank!

That's awesome! Thank you! I guess I will have to, I mean what does it hurt? Did you just select it under celebrations?

I always try to self-upgrade. We book inside cabins because we are perfectly happy with them. But I regularly monitor the prices...if they drop on a better cabin, I make a call. Last month I noticed that the prices of the Panoramic Oceanview cabins dropped below what we paid for out interior cabins about a week before sailing. A quick phone call and they moved us, no issue.

Was worth the time invested in monitoring!