Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour overpriced and overated?

roquejo

I'm actually at the end of booking activities for my 14 day Alaska cruise with 8 days of port time. Since it will be my second time in Alaska, I am more knowledgeable now compared to my first visit and knew which tours are great to book like the PWS cruises, Glacier Point Wilderness Safari, Takshanuk Mountain 4X4 Trail, Misty Fjords explorer..booking many top rated tours esp for 8 days of shore time is not cheap. So some places like Mendenhall and Mt Roberts are better on my own so I have more free time to explore the various trails like the Nugget falls trail, might also opt to do Icy Strait on my own for a scenic leisurely walk to Hoonah.

What's left for me is the 2nd stop at Ketchikan which is the last stop for my B2B cruise, one option for me is just to do on my own walking tour to creek street, salmon ladder, married man's trail, the Fernicular, Dolly's and possibly take the bus to the Totem park.. or spend more and book another tour.

But what intrigues me is why is the Bering Sea Crab is so popular that it can demand a very high price? I chose Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast over this on my last Ketchikan visit and I knew I chose wisely because it is not only cheaper but it includes all you can eat crabs.

And now that I have done the crab feast, I am wondering how come this Bearing Crab tour commands a high price and yet they don't have a crab feast included with the show.

Sure, it has premium if you are a deadliest catch fan... but what if you are not?

They have good reviews at Tripadvisor but I can filter to see only the bad reviews.. seems like everything is staged, the crabs are already trapped in the pods waiting to be pulled out, and the bald eagles are just waiting to be fed that's why they are there.

So how come they charge high? It is ok at that price if they include a crab feast after the show.. or lower the price to be at par with other shows like the Alaskan Lumberjack..

Can someone convince me if it is really worthwhile to take this tour if I'm not a deadliest catch fan even at that high price?

As I still can't figure out why this tour is so popular and sells out fast even if they charge high.

Edited by roquejo

On my last B2B in Ketchikan (May 2013), I did both the Crab Feast and Crab Fishing excursions through HAL. My next B2B Alaskan visit in July 2014, I will be repeating both excursions.

I would not recommend this excursion for you but I would recommend it for those who:

1. Watched Captain Dave and the Aleutian Ballad in the TV series "Deadliest Catch".

2. Want to hear first hand sea stories from real crab fishermen about the hard days at sea.

3. Want to understand how crab fishing is performed and learn about the other sea life that is captured in the crab pots.

4. Want to hear how TV productions are made in extremely rough seas.

5. Want to see and touch real, living, crabs and other sea creatures before they are returned to the water.

6. Want to photograph more eagles than they have ever seen as the eagles swoop down to grab the fish that the ship tosses to them.

7. Wish to support a family-owned small business.

crewnews, I imagine it might be fun for kids too, am I right? I am looking at this excursion for my niece and I when we cruise there in June. She is 10. Thanks for any info.

OP this will be my first time to Alaska, and I am noticing that excursions in general are much higher than what I'm used to, as I usually do Mexico or the Caribbean.

crewnews, I imagine it might be fun for kids too, am I right? I am looking at this excursion for my niece and I when we cruise there in June. She is 10. Thanks for any info.

OP this will be my first time to Alaska, and I am noticing that excursions in general are much higher than what I'm used to, as I usually do Mexico or the Caribbean.

I think your niece will love the experience especially if she watches one of the "Deadliest Catch" episodes. The amount of very interesting information she receives about sea creatures and the opportunity to take pictures of so many eagles should give her lots to tell/show her friends. How many kids can say they touched a live Alaskan King Crab? FWIW kids prices for this excursion are less that adult prices.

You and your niece will enjoy Alaska no matter what excursions you choose. Just inhale the clean fresh Alaskan air.

We never watched an episode of "Deadliest Catch", but took this excursion in 2012 based on reviews from other cruisers. Was it pricier than other excursions? Yes. Did we enjoy it? Absolutely! The captain and crew were great, and as Crew News said, it will be an awesome experience for your niece ... and you. :)

One of the most entertaining excursions we have done...JMHO...along with the many that book it...Sorry I don't need to convince anyone or want to..maybe the prices will come down if I don't :D:D

It is case of supply and demand that is why it is very expensive and sells out too.. the demand is high as is based on a popular TV series.

Without that high demand.. the price will be reasonable if it includes a crab buffet.. or lower if the tour is as is...

I guess it really depends on the person, if you bring kids and they love it, or if you are a deadliest catch fan, then you will be willing to pay.

But for me, Alaska tours is generally more on unpredictability... weather and scenery changes all the time, no guarantee of seeing wildlife, but celebrates when one is spotted.

Even on a guaranteed whale watching tour, they don't throw something to the sea just to attract whales, but goes to their natural feeding grounds to see one.

Here is opposite as it is all staged.. the crabs are just in the pots waiting to be pulled, eagles are there waiting for them to throw fish to go on a feeding frenzy..something like in the zoo...

Yeah kids will enjoy it, but for those going to Alaska just for purely nature, will find it again.highly staged.

Perhaps what they should not do, which kinna turns me off is throw feeds into the water to attract the bald eagles.

Aside from it becoming being staged there is one serious issue:

Rangers will agree with me that you are not supposed to feed wildlife because it disrupts the natural setting and their feeding patterns.

Eagles are intelligent and they will notice this pattern so whenever they see the ship, they will now converge and wait for the crew to throw dead fish into the water, as it is much easier than hunting live fish which is what they are supposed to do in their natural habitat.

Of course for the show it is a great draw especially for kids, seeing lots of eagles go into a feeding frenzy...but for those are into the wild Alaska setting which is why many visit Alaska in the first place, it is counterproductive as it is what they do at the zoo everywhere, feed animals to make them come out, or caged or enclosed them in a tank so everyone can see or even touch.

The real value you get from this show is to hear those fisherman's actual stories and how they film deadliest catch..but for the price.. only the fans of deadliest catch or those with kids will pay at that price point.. but the thing is.. they are many.. so they can offer it as high as possible as long as there are those willing to pay high.

For those who think this tour is not for them and want more value for their money.. there is a less popular related tour that I took last time that is cheaper than this, that combines are boat tour in a more natural setting, it also has some lessons on how to catch crabs in non Discovery glamour way, then followed unlimited dungeness crab feast at a lodge with one round of Alaskan beer subject to tour time limit which I really enjoyed as I love to eat crabs...I think this crab has more meat as both the legs and body has meat.. compared to the Alaskan King where you eat mostly the legs or the mud crab where you only eat the claw and body and discard the legs...

The only reason why I gave the Bearing Sea fisherman tour a second look is I don't want to take the same tour twice so looking at other things to do on my second day at Ketchikan.

Edited by roquejo

Op, you're trying to compare apples to oranges. No, it doesn't include a crab feast or lumberjacks, but those other excursions also don't include a ride on a real crab boat. They're totally different tours, so you really can't compare them price-wise.

I do agree it is a little gimmicky with the staged crabs and octopus. Also, they made it clear that feeding eagles is illegal, but justified it by saying they were in a location outside of US jurisdiction. That turned me off a little to their ways. But all in all, it was a really fun tour. You do get to hold the crabs.

Op, you're trying to compare apples to oranges. No, it doesn't include a crab feast or lumberjacks, but those other excursions also don't include a ride on a real crab boat. They're totally different tours, so you really can't compare them price-wise.

I do agree it is a little gimmicky with the staged crabs and octopus. Also, they made it clear that feeding eagles is illegal, but justified it by saying they were in a location outside of US jurisdiction. That turned me off a little to their ways. But all in all, it was a really fun tour. You do get to hold the crabs.

The eagle-feeding location is under the jurisdiction of a sovereign Native American tribe that has given exclusive permission for the Aleutian Ballad to feed their eagles. Since the feeding takes place only during five months of the year and the fish are native to the area, the eagles are not dependent on the feeding for survival.

The crab pots also capture a few fish. Most of these fish are immediately returned to the water but some fish species, once exposed to air, cannot survive. Those non-survivable fish are returned to the ecosystem by feeding them to the eagles.

Edited by Crew News

For those who think this tour is not for them and want more value for their money.. there is a less popular related tour that I took last time that is cheaper than this, that combines are boat tour in a more natural setting, it also has some lessons on how to catch crabs in non Discovery glamour way, then followed unlimited dungeness crab feast at a lodge with one round of Alaskan beer subject to tour time limit which I really enjoyed as I love to eat crabs...I think this crab has more meat as both the legs and body has meat.. compared to the Alaskan King where you eat mostly the legs or the mud crab where you only eat the claw and body and discard the legs...

Just to clarify, this is the Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast that you wrote about earlier? We too are looking at the Bering Sea Crab tour, but we are hesitating because we don't watch Deadliest Catch, don't have kids and don't know whether it is what we want to do considering the price.

However, reading about the Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast could be better for us.

Thanks.

You can book the deadliest catch tour directly online for $20 cheaper. It is the same boat that the cruise ship's excursion participants will be on. You board the boat right at the pier. I am excited about this excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we WON'T be doing this (very disappointed:( ) on the upcoming cruise as we have a 3 year old grandson, and they have an age limit. the child has to be 5.

We won't be able to do it again either since we will have a 17 month old grandson with us..DH and I will let our DD & DSIL go and have fun though.

I love watching this program in Australia and this will be a must on our cruise - just hoping it hangs in until 2015.

Just booked on NCL (A line I never thought we would sail on) but the Itinerary is wonderful - and two port stops in Ketchikan.

Thankyou roquejo for asking the question.

Just to clarify, this is the Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast that you wrote about earlier? We too are looking at the Bering Sea Crab tour, but we are hesitating because we don't watch Deadliest Catch, don't have kids and don't know whether it is what we want to do considering the price.

However, reading about the Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast could be better for us.

Thanks.

Yes, it is the Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast... I enjoyed because of all you can eat crabs subject to tour time limit after that boat tour....

Yes, I know that the Bearing Fisherman Crab tour is cheaper if you book directly online, just like the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari...

They are one of the few tour providers that allow you to book directly... most require you to book via the ship if you are arriving via cruiseship

I'm actually at the end of booking activities for my 14 day Alaska cruise with 8 days of port time. Since it will be my second time in Alaska, I am more knowledgeable now compared to my first visit and knew which tours are great to book like the PWS cruises, Glacier Point Wilderness Safari, Takshanuk Mountain 4X4 Trail, Misty Fjords explorer..booking many top rated tours esp for 8 days of shore time is not cheap. So some places like Mendenhall and Mt Roberts are better on my own so I have more free time to explore the various trails like the Nugget falls trail, might also opt to do Icy Strait on my own for a scenic leisurely walk to Hoonah.

What's left for me is the 2nd stop at Ketchikan which is the last stop for my B2B cruise, one option for me is just to do on my own walking tour to creek street, salmon ladder, married man's trail, the Fernicular, Dolly's and possibly take the bus to the Totem park.. or spend more and book another tour.

But what intrigues me is why is the Bering Sea Crab is so popular that it can demand a very high price? I chose Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast over this on my last Ketchikan visit and I knew I chose wisely because it is not only cheaper but it includes all you can eat crabs.

And now that I have done the crab feast, I am wondering how come this Bearing Crab tour commands a high price and yet they don't have a crab feast included with the show.

Sure, it has premium if you are a deadliest catch fan... but what if you are not?

They have good reviews at Tripadvisor but I can filter to see only the bad reviews.. seems like everything is staged, the crabs are already trapped in the pods waiting to be pulled out, and the bald eagles are just waiting to be fed that's why they are there.

So how come they charge high? It is ok at that price if they include a crab feast after the show.. or lower the price to be at par with other shows like the Alaskan Lumberjack..

Can someone convince me if it is really worthwhile to take this tour if I'm not a deadliest catch fan even at that high price?

As I still can't figure out why this tour is so popular and sells out fast even if they charge high.

sorry -- seems a little like a winny whiner to me - you don't have to go on it if it bothers you so much

I'll tell you that my wife and I have watched the show once, or twice and that's it. We aren't fans of the show, but simply don't care about it one way or the other. That's being said, we took the tour when we were in Alaska.

Anytime I've posted my feedback about this tour here I get flamed, and expect to do so again, but we simply didn't like it. It wasn't horrible by any means, but it wasn't worth the price. You go out on a boat that has been converted for tourists. They take you out to crab pots that have been pre-loaded with crabs, squid....etc and pull them up for the tourists to look at. The acting by the people was VERY scripted and fake.There was nothing original about it.

I will give them credit and say that the eagle experience made for some great photos. They take you by an island and throw out some fish to get the eagles swarming. That was very cool, but not worth the price of the entire ticket.

If you are a fan of the show I could see where it would totally be worth it to meet some TV stars and be on a boat that has some history. If you aren't a fan, I wouldn't do it.

Now, if you will excuse me I need to put on my fire proof suit so I can prepare for the massive onslaught of flaming I'll get for not thinking this was the next best thing to meeting God.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now, if you will excuse me I need to put on my fire proof suit so I can prepare for the massive onslaught of flaming I'll get for not thinking this was the next best thing to meeting God.

I'm sure no one will flame you for your honest opinion about the tour.

However the last paragraph you wrote that I've quoted above is worthy of a comment. Your discussion points until that point were fine. We are simply discussing the pros and cons of a tour and nowhere did I read that anyone was so excited by this tour that they went to such extremes to say it was the best thing they've ever done in their lives. They just comment it was a great tour for them.

Why end your reasonable discussion on such a silly note? And that's where the flames might come from.

I have signed up for this (independently) with my 5 year old son. My husband and other 2 kids will be going kayaking with southeast sea kayaks. I am so excited about this excursion and have been watching all the back episodes again on netflix. So, it is designed for consumers just like me. I can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums