Trying to Compare On-Line Pricing

Bestlabuddies

My wife and I have placed a deposit on a July 2015 Grand European Tour from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Viking Ship Bestla. The "2 for 1" pricing for a Category A stateroom with veranda on the upper deck was $6,862pp USD. I have been checking the on-line pricing for the same itinerary (or reverse direction) and approximate sailing dates on other lines, including Uniworld ($10,594pp), Tauck ($9,740pp) and AMA ($9,397pp) and can't seem to find any prices even close to the Viking amount in the same upper-deck category. Am I missing something? Threads that I have followed seem to suggest that the Viking "2 for 1" pricing is a standard pricing policy for them but on-line, at least, I can't seem to find anything remotely equivalent on the alternative cruise lines for the same deck and stateroom category. Do I need to contact a TA for the "better than on-line pricing" for the other lines? Where am I going wrong?:confused:

Just a thought

Are the other lines you are comparing do they have more things included in the prices

I know our Scenic tours cruise was more $$ than Viking when we booked it Scenic included gratuities, all tours, wine/beer with lunch & dinner (now all day)

We only needed spending money when ashore

We booked our own air & pre & post hotels

The differences seem relatively minor to me (how much wine or soda can we drink all day long on the boat when we're out touring) with the exception of included gratuities, which if one follows Vikings guidelines, could amount to a few hundred dollars pp but that still doesn't seem to make up the difference in the on-line prices. I'm wondering if a different pricing structure exists which is revealed when you actually contact an agent.

Thanks for the Vantage tip. Went to their website and found a nice little spreadsheet-type comparison between Vantage, Viking and Uniworld. Of course it's slanted toward Vantage but the price comparison is particularly interesting. Thanks for the replies.:)

First of all travel agents especially the large internet ones will give you a good discount off their commission but you will not be able to see that until they draw up a quote for you. They are also aware of special pricing available for special river cruise lines and dates. Cruise Critic does not allow me to give you the names of these travel agencies. I am sure you can find the them just google something like "river cruise discounted"

Second - check out Avalon Waterways which is part of the Globus umbrella. If you are a Journeys Club member because you previously traveled on Globus, Cosmos or Monograms you get a extra 5% off. Avalon charges more for their newer Suite ships, Their oldest boats were built on 2008 so comparably speaking their boats are among the newest in service.

The other cruise lines (Tauck, Iniworld, AMA

you mentioned in your price comparison offer things like butler service, maybe a special evening in a palace, etc. I have not traveled on any of the aforementioned luxury lines. From the reviews I have read, Viking is not in the same league.

Back in May last year I decided to do a spreadsheet to help us decide on our next cruise. As my Business Accountant wife always points out to me the advertised price does not necessarily make the cheapest line the cheapest nor the dearest advertised the line the dearest. It all comes down to what you will actually pay per diem. I'm not sure that many will benefit from my exercise because of past experiences but you're welcome to have a look.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1852632

Thanks Ozjohnno. I had read this a while ago but forgot what a thorough analysis it has. It won't work perfectly for others because most cruise lines have quite different deals in different countries, and there have been some new boats introduced. But the factors you weighed are still valid, and it provides an excellent way to compare cruise lines.

It's also good to remember that some things one expects to be a problem turn out to be less important on the cruise itself -- e.g. you were worried about Tauck's small cabins, yet I believe you had a great time. Still, as General Eisenhower said, “In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.”

I was going to suggest GCCLs (http://www.gct.com) similar trip (14 night Amsterdam to Vienna) which is only $4895 pp but then I noticed the OP was from Toronto. I have met many Canadians on my GCCL cruises but they pretty much had to jump through hoops to get their reservations. I really think is time for GCT to market to Canada.

I was going to suggest GCCLs (www.gct.com) similar trip (14 night Amsterdam to Vienna) which is only $4895 pp but then I noticed the OP was from Toronto. I have met many Canadians on my GCCL cruises but they pretty much had to jump through hoops to get their reservations. I really think is time for GCT to market to Canada.

One of the issues for me when looking at GCCL or Vantage is the fact that they are not covered by TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario). If something went wrong while we were away- we would be on our own.

Not willing to take the chance - when there are other options for us that do have TICO backing.

Just my personal views here.

Fran

I'd personally go the route you suggested; ask your TA for quotes for several companies with the same itinerary (apples to apples comparison) at the same class of room/deck.

The TA should be more than happy to do this for you since he/she wants your business whatever you should decide. Ask for any discounts to be included like Journeys Club for Avalon, or frequent cruiser discounts for other lines, plus any discounts he/she will offer.

Be upfront with TA and tell him/her you want to go on a particular itinerary and ask what he/she can do for you.

BTW...be sure and get travel insurance. TA should be able to help with that as well. We go independent, not travel insurance through the cruise line.

TA can act as a great advocate for you in case there is a problem with the cruise, especially if you have travel insurance! And as you've read, there can be problems!

Thanks for the Vantage tip. Went to their website and found a nice little spreadsheet-type comparison between Vantage, Viking and Uniworld. Of course it's slanted toward Vantage but the price comparison is particularly interesting. Thanks for the replies.:)

Do you have a link for this please as I cannot get into the Vantage site at all - something about not secure???

I am thinking tha viking and uniworld are in different classes--Viking is a 3-4 star experinece and uniworld closer to 5 star_Am I right??

Ratings are very subjective.... It all depends on what the individual considers "important" in a 4 vs a 5 star experience.

Or - does the level of "all inclusive" play a factor???

I don't book according to a "star" rating - although many really want the most "high end" experience available.

Uniworld does strive to be a 5-star experience (and, I think that they generally achieve that) while Viking seems to offer a good product at a lower price point - and makes no apologies for their marketing strategy.

I have cruised with both companies - and enjoyed both... Star rating didn't play into my decision to book.

Fran

Edited by franski