most travelled

golfb4cruzing

There are many very well travelled folks on this board. I was wondering if anyone has spent an entire year onboard? Or how many out of 365 days. Military commitments don't count. How do you stay engaged for that long? Do you have issues on dry land afterwards? Some lengthy cruisers have seen most and choose to stay onboard during port days. How long travelling without touching land? I need to start my research now for when the wife does retire and away we go. Thanks.

Haven't spent an entire year onboard at once but I do have about 340 cruise days on Princess, over 100 on HAL, etc. I've taken a couple of 28-31 day cruises and I've repeated a number of cruises a number of times.

I almost always do something new or different in a repeat port. But that depends on the port. On a recent Mexican Riviera cruise, I stayed on the ship in Puerto Vallarta. I've been there multiple times, I've snorkeled, swam with the sea lions, taken catamarans, etc. I'm not a beach person so I stayed on the ship. On the other hand, I've been to Rome and Naples many times. I never get tired of Rome. Never. In Naples last October, I went to Pompeii for the umpteenth time but also went to the top (almost) of Mt. Vesuvius and Herculaneum for the first time.

I have all of my income direct deposited into my bank account, can set up bill payments well in advance to be paid on specific days through Quicken, and I use professional pet sitters for my cats. I can check my credit cards using apps on my iPhone and pay them from anywhere any time.

Here is a blog you might be interested in reading. This couple just spent 130 days aboard ships this past winter. They did a week on the Royal, one on a non Princess vessel and the rest on the Emerald. It will give you an idea of what it is like to live on a ship for a long time. She writes the blog and I have followed her for the past three winters! I feel like I'm cruising along with her! Keeps me warm on the long winter evenings!

https://www.blogger.com/profile/02037813135430468660

There have been several people living on cruise ships, but I am not aware of anyone currently doing it. Lorraine Artz lived on Princess ships for years. I believe she was approaching 5,000 nights when she had to move off the ship to an assisted living facility. I believe she spend 5 months on board and then one month at home in Southern California. So she was onboard for about 300 days each year.

There are many very well travelled folks on this board. I was wondering if anyone has spent an entire year onboard? Or how many out of 365 days. Military commitments don't count. How do you stay engaged for that long? Do you have issues on dry land afterwards? Some lengthy cruisers have seen most and choose to stay onboard during port days. How long travelling without touching land? I need to start my research now for when the wife does retire and away we go. Thanks.

Two ways to do this, one is to book B2B voyages but rather costly. The other way is to lease a cabin from Princess aboard one of the ships they designate for live-aboards. Cost is in the $50,000/2persons range for 12-months for an inside cabin. It's yours for the term, and should you get off they keep it locked and you can keep your belongings inside, it's not sold while you are away. We spoke with someone one year ago who was going to lease a cabin for he and his wife after the cruise ended. He said there were around 120 or so people (or was it cabins?) doing this. Home mail is forwarded to Princess in Santa Clarita and they send it to the ship in the packages delivered to the ship during the voyage. There were enough passengers that they were able to form a group medical policy. Sadly, the person I spoke with did not live to see the end of the trip, but he passed doing what he wanted, living aboard ship.

Not yet, but we're working on it. ;) So far we've manage about 1/3 of a year several times, but longest stay at one time has only been 9 weeks.

I highly recommend the blog. Jeannie's writing is wonderful, so enjoyable.

While DH and I are within days of spending a year on board, we've done it over the past 10 years or so. We will hit the year mark on our cruise next week. To say sadly we won't stay on board more than a month or two at a time misstates the situation - between pets, parents and kids we don't want to be away too long, and 6 weeks starts to feel like way too long for me when I miss everyone. We are blessed to have all of them in our lives.

We do repeat ports - sometimes we stay on the ship, sometimes we disembark and engage in our favorite things at that port, sometimes we try something new.

Thanks all. Pam and Pia, I always follow. I am linked to Yellow Fish cruises and that's what prompted the query. The kids know, if Mom goes first, dad is selling everything and forward my mail to some ship TBD. I would enjoy a round the world cruise and waiting to read the upcoming Live From.

Two ways to do this, one is to book B2B voyages but rather costly. The other way is to lease a cabin from Princess aboard one of the ships they designate for live-aboards. Cost is in the $50,000/2persons range for 12-months for an inside cabin. It's yours for the term, and should you get off they keep it locked and you can keep your belongings inside, it's not sold while you are away. We spoke with someone one year ago who was going to lease a cabin for he and his wife after the cruise ended. He said there were around 120 or so people (or was it cabins?) doing this. Home mail is forwarded to Princess in Santa Clarita and they send it to the ship in the packages delivered to the ship during the voyage. There were enough passengers that they were able to form a group medical policy. Sadly, the person I spoke with did not live to see the end of the trip, but he passed doing what he wanted, living aboard ship.

Do you know who to contact at Princess for this? I wonder if they designate balconies for live aboards?

Our longest is 52 days to date in a balcony and no blood was shed, and we're still married!

Our first cruise with Princess was for 76 days and we were never bored. Since then we have had a couple at 49 days and a 28 day as well as several 14 days ones. I could live on board and this would definitely be better than a residential old folks home when the time comes (and cheaper)

The HAL world cruise folks spend well over 140 days on board at one time as they do a cruise to get them to the commencement port for the world cruise each year.

To say sadly we won't stay on board more than a month or two at a time misstates the situation - between pets, parents and kids we don't want to be away too long, and 6 weeks starts to feel like way too long for me when I miss everyone. We are blessed to have all of them in our lives.

Thank you, Ginger!

This is so well stated. I experienced several brief periods of homesickness last winter, mostly due to missing friends and even more due to missing kids. Five months away from two 10-year olds is not an insignificant period of time. Parents and grandparents do it all the time (but I think they're stronger than me! :o)

We had a window of opportunity to do what we did for four winters. Five years ago it was inconceivable, even with DH's retirement, due to a parent's health. This weekend we are nervously awaiting the outcome of some of my mom's medical tests (she's hospitalized again), and it's becoming very obvious to us that last winter might have marked our last long cruise for a few years. These are not small concerns, and everyone is at a different place with them.

Golfb4cruising, I won't answer your questions, as I guess, if you've read my blog, you're soliciting other viewpoints. But I will say that, though it isn't for everyone, we've had four wonderful winters living at sea, and, regardless of what the future holds, we're so glad we have those memories.

Thank you, Ginger!

This is so well stated. I experienced several brief periods of homesickness last winter, mostly due to missing friends and even more due to missing kids. Five months away from two 10-year olds is not an insignificant period of time. Parents and grandparents do it all the time (but I think they're stronger than me! :o)

We had a window of opportunity to do what we did for four winters. Five years ago it was inconceivable, even with DH's retirement, due to a parent's health. This weekend we are nervously awaiting the outcome of some of my mom's medical tests (she's hospitalized again), and it's becoming very obvious to us that last winter might have marked our last long cruise for a few years. These are not small concerns, and everyone is at a different place with them.

Golfb4cruising, I won't answer your questions, as I guess, if you've read my blog, you're soliciting other viewpoints. But I will say that, though it isn't for everyone, we've had four wonderful winters living at sea, and, regardless of what the future holds, we're so glad we have those memories.

We are saddened to hear that your mother is back in the hospital - and hoping and praying (as we know you are) that the outcome of the tests reveals a very treatable and reversible situation. Please do let us know how things are going - you have to know that all your fan base is pulling for your mom and you!!! {{{}}}

As you are interested in long term cruising or living aboard, you might want to try and find a copy of Beatrice Muller's memoirs. Ms. Muller lived full time aboard QE2 from 2000 until the ship's retirement in 2008 with only brief periods ashore when the ship was in drydock or she needed some medical treatment. After QE2 retired, she transferred to Queen Mary 2 for a time then to Queen Victoria. Neither suited her as she referred to them as "lumps of tin". Ms. Muller was very blunt with her opinions.:eek:

Hi just wondering is the $50,000. per person or for a couple?

• 6 months later...
There are many very well travelled folks on this board. I was wondering if anyone has spent an entire year onboard?

I work with a gentleman that, as of May, 2014 had 1095 days of cruising. Heck of a nice guy. I believe his first cruise was on a boat called The Arc and the captain's name was Noah. On second thought, I think that was his second cruise.

I met a lady year before last who was boarding her 99th Princess cruise. Although she was in a wheelchair, she was laughing and having a heck of a good time and that was before she even got on board! :)

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
typing error

Lorraine Artz is the most traveled Princess passenger. I think she has over 4000 days and about 400 cruises. Unfortunately, her health prevents her from cruising any more.

I believe she passed away earlier this year.

Lorraine died in May. We were fortunate to have known and sailed with her and Joe many times.

Lorraine Arzt travelled with Princess Cruises for over 5000 days which is almost 14 years solid at sea. In her younger days most of it was done with her beloved husband Joe who passed away in 2002. She was an iconic legend amongst regular passengers and crew members alike who treated her as one of their own. After Joe died, and she returned to cruising, the Princess Cruises crew made sure she was never alone, often taking it in turns to sit with her. She even had her own embroidered cushion with “Lorraine” on it and always had a glass of Moët in her hand.

Edited by Pia1913