packing for a short cruise

FamilyFun&Sail

Probably easier for each person to have their own carry on. Better for personal items like toiletries and underwear.

Best of all, when it's time to leave the ship, you can do the quick walk off with each their own bag.

Depends on the age of your kids.

If they are each able to carry their own bag, then do that. But if you're going to end up lugging their stuff around anyway, then take 1 big bag for the family.

Taking the family(2 adults/2 kids) on a short cruise, would it be better to pack one large suitcase or each person have a carryon bag.

I'd check medium size bags in order to put sunscreen, toothpaste etc in it since only small size can be carried on plane. I think one large bag would be too large.

I'd have at least one carryon though with valuables.

But you didn't say how long the short cruise is, and didn't say if you're flying.

If you are flying and if the first bag is free I would pack two bags with everyone's stuff. Especially if the kids are small and couldn't easily manage carryons with all their things. You and your husband could each pull a bag and have a hand for a child. Small carryons with what you need for the day ov travel for each would work for the flight, with snack and entertainment for all of you. If one is lost you will still have the other. Everyone in one is risky.

If you are driving, I would still do two bags so that neither one is so heavy. Both of the bags will fit under the bed and be out of the way.

If the kids are older make them pull the bags ; -)

Sara

Taking the family(2 adults/2 kids) on a short cruise, would it be better to pack one large suitcase or each person have a carryon bag.

keep in mind that when you board your cabin may NOT necessarily be ready/accessible immediately, so you will have to carry the bags around to the buffet for lunch.

and honestly, who will REALLY end up with the kid's bags?! ;)

We stopped checking backs on our way to anyplace about 20 years ago, after the first time our checked luggage didn't turn up. Took two days to get it, and delayed our land based trip. On a cruise, that would have been dreadful.

We do sometimes check luggage on the way home, hoping they will lose all the dirty laundry. We've had delays, but never a total loss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

keep in mind that when you board your cabin may NOT necessarily be ready/accessible immediately, so you will have to carry the bags around to the buffet for lunch.

and honestly, who will REALLY end up with the kid's bags?! ;)

On all our cruises, we have never had a cabin unaccessible to at least drop off our carryons. Drop them off the go to the Lido for lunch.

On all our cruises, we have never had a cabin unaccessible to at least drop off our carryons. Drop them off the go to the Lido for lunch.

And we HAVE been on cruises that literally block off the passage way to cabins until those cabins have been cleaned and are ready for new guests.

Depends on the ship, hotel director, how many crew are available, how many cabins are being turned over, etc

Regardless, we still refuse to check any baggage on an outbound flight, but will happily turn it over to the cruise line as we check in (except for our backpack which contains irreplaceable items like medication, jewelry, passports, plane tickets, cell phones, etc

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet