Cruise Critic Meetings

bingo queen

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are organised 'Meetings' of Cruise Critic members on the ships,and if yes,how do I find the info when I am on the ship.?

I have been cruising many years now and only recently joined Cruise Critic, so maybe I just never noticed any meeting info.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are organised 'Meetings' of Cruise Critic members on the ships,and if yes,how do I find the info when I am on the ship.?

I have been cruising many years now and only recently joined Cruise Critic, so maybe I just never noticed any meeting info.

Thanks in advance.

Go into your specific roll call and it's there that the meet and greets are formed. I think you are on the Sapphire in January, so check those roll calls.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=106

Go to the roll call for your sailing and you can chat with other CC members who will be sailing with you. They can tell you if a meet and greet has been organized.

Hi

Goodness,thanks for very quick replies.Going by your replies,does that mean that it will be up to ourselves(on the roll call page) to chat and just organise a 'meeting'.?

I am enjoying the info available through this cruise critic.

Many thanks.

Hi

Goodness,thanks for very quick replies.Going by your replies,does that mean that it will be up to ourselves(on the roll call page) to chat and just organise a 'meeting'.?

Many thanks.

Yes hopefully someone will organize it on the roll call.

There is a contact at Princess that handles the venue schedule.

Usually the bar (at a cost) and waiters, no food or snacks.

Yes hopefully someone will organize it on the roll call.

There is a contact at Princess that handles the venue schedule.

Usually the bar (at a cost) and waiters, no food or snacks.

Hi,

That's great.Thanks again.

Hi

Many thanks.

The best thing is for someone on the roll call to just start a list of those interested. Once it is started and kept up to date, interest grows. All of a sudden, we were up to 40 people plus. Contacted Princess, and they put us in a larger venue and they are providing a cash bar, dry snacks, and ships officers is their schedule permits.

There will be a meeting called a "Meet & Greet" only if someone decides to organize one. I have hosted many M & G's and it requires some work like contacting the Princess rep for your cruise with the date and times of your meeting. Then people on your cruise need to be made aware of your plans and then if they contact you then you contact people with the details and keep a list of people that are interested. If you want officers to attend a letter inviting them to attend can be helpful. If you have a list of people you can make name tags if you want.

These are some of the things that I do. Anther idea that I have seen is leaving a flyer at everyone's stateroom as a reminder.

Tom:)

\

These are some of the things that I do. Anther idea that I have seen is leaving a flyer at everyone's stateroom as a reminder.

If of course they give you that information. Not everyone likes to do that.

And you don't really need to contact Princess if no one feels like doing so. Just come up with a time and place to meet up. People can buy their own drinks (Princess is not going to pick up the tab for drinks anyway -- sometimes they'll give you a bottle of champagne -- at least for the meet and greet my first cruise after I had joined CC -- never heard of this site before that and don't recall seeing any notices in the newsletters for any of my cruises). If you go through Princess, they'll decide time and place, and may even want to charge for goodies, which isn't necessary, IMO, as there's food at the International Cafe and Horizon.

There will be a meeting called a "Meet & Greet" only if someone decides to organize one. I have hosted many M & G's and it requires some work like contacting the Princess rep for your cruise with the date and times of your meeting. Then people on your cruise need to be made aware of your plans and then if they contact you then you contact people with the details and keep a list of people that are interested. If you want officers to attend a letter inviting them to attend can be helpful. If you have a list of people you can make name tags if you want.

Tom, you are right on, and obviously have organized your fair share of Meet & Greet's before.

I have organized a couple of them only, on Princess. However, each time I have been able to get an officer or two to come and give a talk on an interesting subject about the ship.

I always ask for a cash open bar for the venue, and have received that. Princess was kind enough to supply snacks on one ship.

Co ordination with the Princess onshore rep for venues is important. the easiest way to contact them is to talk to a sales rep, and ask for the persons name that will take care of Meet & Greet for Cruise Critic. If they don't know the answer, ask to speak to their supervisor...they will know.

Rick

How long are the meet and greets typically held for?

It all depends how engaged everyone is.

We have had ones that went for a couple of hours or more and some that were over pretty quickly. There is no limit unless the venue is booked for something else.

FYI...On my last M & G in December on the Grand I had a meeting scheduled at 11 am and there was no officers or C/D present. I was told that the morning on the first sea day there are usually mandatory meetings so my next M & G for next month on the Star will be at 1 pm.

Remember, you pick the date and time for a M & G and Princess decides the location.

Edited by trbarton

FYI...On my last M & G in December on the Grand I had a meeting scheduled at 11 am and there was no officers or C/D present. I was told that the morning on the first sea day there are usually mandatory meetings so my next M & G for next month on the Star will be at 1 pm.

Remember, you pick the date and time for a M & G and Princess decides the location.

I don't understand scheduling a meet-up for the convenience of the officers. It's the convenience of the passengers who matter -- and 1pm is prime lunch and/or suntanning time. So silly.

I don't understand scheduling a meet-up for the convenience of the officers. It's the convenience of the passengers who matter -- and 1pm is prime lunch and/or suntanning time. So silly.

Agree. We have one roll call where the organizer doesn't want to get up early, hence the afternoon M & G.

I have done Engraved Invitations and addressed them to the ships officers individually and left them with the purser when I boarded. You can get a listing of the ship's officers on the first day of the month of the cruise from your Princess Contact. I have done large groups (80+) in Skywalkers and a small group of 35 in our Penthouse Suite.

I agree too. The first cruise I took after joining CC, I started the roll call and did contact the cruise director about a meet and greet. He did set up one and someone on his staff brought a bottle of champagne for the group. We did set up a couple of ones on our own and decided on a date, time and place ahead of the cruise. But it didn't occur to me to invite the staff, which makes sense to me as they have the ship to run. Even on the next cruise I went on (and didn't join in on the planning of events), there weren't officers at the meet and greet I went to, and it still didn't occur to me that it could be important to some (and I didn't hear any grumbling about this).

We're boarding the Ocean on May 7th in Cape Town. Our M & G is set for the 9th; in the morning. I will hand write and deliver said invitations to the purser's desk. If officers show; great. If not, nobody will cry. We will meet each other, laugh and enjoy ourselves. I'm betting on at least three showing up. Tune into the Live to find out. ;)

I have set up a Meet and Greet for my Alaska Star cruise in June. Emailed Princess and they ask for the number of folks I thought would attend and when. I provide my best guess on numbers and provided a date and time. They got back to me the same day with a location (WheelHouse bar) at my requested time. I did ask what if I go over my estimated number and she told me Wheelhouse can hold up to 97 people. I feel pretty good I won't get that many. Pretty simple process.