Back from Independence of the Seas - April 6-12

Thanks for sharing your review. I'm glad you still had some fun. I appreciate the honesty - this is what Cruise "Critic" is all about. I agree with quite a few points made (casual food options, desserts, pizza...etc), but I also think you may of enjoyed the Oasis Class more than Indy. The Oasis has some nice additions.

You mentioned that you had sailed the Carnival Breeze and thought Carnival had more going on around the ship at night. I agree that Carnival have more going on, but IMO the main show entertainment on Breeze was very lacking. They don't even use a live band anymore =cost save.

It does seem that over the past few years the "headliner" acts on all cruise lines have been less exciting.

BUT - Many of us appreciate the level of skill involved in the skating, acrobatics and diving shows. I don't think your going to see that anywhere else.

I'm loyal to whoever provides the best vacation for my dollar, and there is no doubt you can get a lot with Carnival. RC has a much better loyalty program that offers discounts, nightly events, special events, tours, diamond club and concierge club access...etc. If you do your research you can find some amazing bargains on both lines. Yes - some of it is gimmicky, but overall I find it hard to believe that you didn't find the Indy that appealing. I find the finishes, art work, design, layout, pools, gym, on RC to be a much better.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Did you send in your survey at the end of the cruise? If enough people give similar low ratings this can drive change at RC.

We were also the Indy last week and I agree with many of your points. Food was so so, same menu as last years cruise, crew was great except for the non existing cruise director and staff. Evening entertainment on stage was good but lacking in the bars. Better be quick or you will miss it. Promenade dance was way below the parade on the Explorer last year.

Wouldn't it be nice to combine all the good points from the different cruise ships into one. I'll sail on Royal again but probably not on the Indy, it just wasn't for us.

Happy you had a better time than your review indicated. The tone of your review is very negative and leads me to think you are very hard to please.

We had the very same impression reading that first post.

That said...various people have various opinions on almost any topic...and they are entitled to their views.

Still --- having been on the very same INDY ship the week of 3/23/14-3/29/14, our experience was entirely different and nearly opposite.

1) The food in INDY was great (the best Windjammer food to date on any cruise with RCI and Chops was outstanding - the best filet steak nearly anywhere).

2) The service was also outstanding - our MDR servers were all over making us very happy with everything and catered to everyone at the table for top-shelf service.

3) The ship was very clean, well-maintained, and all venues were very nice.

4) The ports actually exceeded our expectations on 2 fronts - Grand Cayman had a lot to offer to experience and Labadee (thanks to a cabana on Bearfoot Beach) was incredibly wonderful and relaxing. Falmouth is a shopping port for the most part and nothing to get too excited about - but still friendly people and clean surroundings everywhere.

5) All of the staff and crew onboard were very, very friendly and helpful.

All this makes me realize some people simply cannot be satisfied no matter what. That applies to not only cruises but nearly everything.

In our case, INDY left us with a great deal of satisfaction, wonderful memories, and a comfortable home away from home.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I was on the same cruise and had a phenomenal time. Most surprising was the food. I'm very familiar with the food on Royal and had some old faves but the food has changed and it was delicious. The filet on the third night I think was better than any filet I've had at sea, including Chops! And the lobster tails on night 5 were huge by ship standards. Deserts were just delicious, creative and light instead of an endless parade of chocolate.

I thought the activities staff was just great, though I relaxed mostly. We also got a cabana at barefoot beach and while $225 seems like a big pill to swallow, in the end it's worth it. The $22 all day pass at the water slide is probably the best value on Labadee.

This cruise reaffirmed my opinion that Freedom is my favorite class of ship.

We were on the Indy for the first time this March, from the 1st to the 9th, and will absolutely go on this ship in the near future..our food was wonderful, room spotless, excellent waiter and asst. waiter. We found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and great conversationalists. We enjoyed the 3 parades on the promenade, the pub and Sorrento's, etc.

Our ship was completely booked, so it could sometimes be frustrating that people saved their lounge chairs by the pool and go off for an hour or so. But hey...since that was our only complaint...

I will say that I enjoyed having escargot every night of my cruise!!

Thanks for sharing your review. I'm glad you still had some fun. I appreciate the honesty - this is what Cruise "Critic" is all about. I agree with quite a few points made (casual food options, desserts, pizza...etc), but I also think you may of enjoyed the Oasis Class more than Indy. The Oasis has some nice additions.

You mentioned that you had sailed the Carnival Breeze and thought Carnival had more going on around the ship at night. I agree that Carnival have more going on, but IMO the main show entertainment on Breeze was very lacking. They don't even use a live band anymore =cost save.

It does seem that over the past few years the "headliner" acts on all cruise lines have been less exciting.

BUT - Many of us appreciate the level of skill involved in the skating, acrobatics and diving shows. I don't think your going to see that anywhere else.

I'm loyal to whoever provides the best vacation for my dollar, and there is no doubt you can get a lot with Carnival. RC has a much better loyalty program that offers discounts, nightly events, special events, tours, diamond club and concierge club access...etc. If you do your research you can find some amazing bargains on both lines. Yes - some of it is gimmicky, but overall I find it hard to believe that you didn't find the Indy that appealing. I find the finishes, art work, design, layout, pools, gym, on RC to be a much better.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Did you send in your survey at the end of the cruise? If enough people give similar low ratings this can drive change at RC.

We agree with that the "shows" on Royal were far superior to anything we've seen on Princess or Carnival. However, there was only night of a singing/dancing show in the main theater and the ice show during our 6 day cruise. We were expecting a production/stage show nightly. We weren't sure if this is a norm on Royal Caribbean or if this was just because there was a new cast.

A live band is also not a make or break for us. We like a live band at a theater show, but prefer a DJ at the pool all day.

As for the design/layout of the ship, the Independence was ok. It was really just the promenade that we didn't like. The common spaces were nice and the decor was very similar to Princess in those areas. As for the pool deck, the pools and hot tubs were larger and there were more than what we've seen on any Carnival or Princess ship. We just aren't pool people, so the pool space don't make a difference to us.

Yes, we completed the guest survey that they emailed us after the cruise.

We had the very same impression reading that first post.

That said...various people have various opinions on almost any topic...and they are entitled to their views.

Still --- having been on the very same INDY ship the week of 3/23/14-3/29/14, our experience was entirely different and nearly opposite.

1) The food in INDY was great (the best Windjammer food to date on any cruise with RCI and Chops was outstanding - the best filet steak nearly anywhere).

2) The service was also outstanding - our MDR servers were all over making us very happy with everything and catered to everyone at the table for top-shelf service.

3) The ship was very clean, well-maintained, and all venues were very nice.

4) The ports actually exceeded our expectations on 2 fronts - Grand Cayman had a lot to offer to experience and Labadee (thanks to a cabana on Bearfoot Beach) was incredibly wonderful and relaxing. Falmouth is a shopping port for the most part and nothing to get too excited about - but still friendly people and clean surroundings everywhere.

5) All of the staff and crew onboard were very, very friendly and helpful.

All this makes me realize some people simply cannot be satisfied no matter what. That applies to not only cruises but nearly everything.

In our case, INDY left us with a great deal of satisfaction, wonderful memories, and a comfortable home away from home.

We agree with you on points #1-4 and for #5 the only staff/crew we didn't care for were the cruise director and his entertainment staff.

We think you're a little harsh with the "some people simply cannot be satisfied no matter what" comment.

We like Cruise Critic for the variety of opinions and certainly don't expect everyone to have the same experience as us, but truly appreciate honest reviews of what others experience on ships.

We were on the Indy for the first time this March, from the 1st to the 9th, and will absolutely go on this ship in the near future..our food was wonderful, room spotless, excellent waiter and asst. waiter. We found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and great conversationalists. We enjoyed the 3 parades on the promenade, the pub and Sorrento's, etc.

Our ship was completely booked, so it could sometimes be frustrating that people saved their lounge chairs by the pool and go off for an hour or so. But hey...since that was our only complaint...

I will say that I enjoyed having escargot every night of my cruise!!

3 parades! What?! We didn't even get one! disappointing!

We never had a problem finding a chair in the sun or shade, but we also weren't looking in the prime restate area right next to the pool. If you want those seats, get there early.

Yikes people! :eek: let the woman have the experience she had and write about it without all the dissing! It's fine if different people have different experiences, I like to hear about them all!:D

Thanks lithlith, for your review, we have this ship booked but I'm not sure we will sail...too short really, I wanted to since we've never sailed Freedom class, but I still haven't made the cut yet, so maybe we will, but I'm thinking I'd rather do a longer cruise.

ETA- so here's my test for you- did you love the PG?!?

Edited by Familygoboston

I agree with the above post. I like reading all reviews, after all it is Cruise Critic!! I've been on many cruises (40+) and have never had the same experience. I like each ship and cruise line for different reasons, and that is what keeps me coming back to cruising. But I do think Independence of the Seas, needs to kick it up a notch.That being said we had a wonderful time. April 6-12.

Yikes people! :eek: let the woman have the experience she had and write about it without all the dissing! It's fine if different people have different experiences, I like to hear about them all!:D

Thanks lithlith, for your review, we have this ship booked but I'm not sure we will sail...too short really, I wanted to since we've never sailed Freedom class, but I still haven't made the cut yet, so maybe we will, but I'm thinking I'd rather do a longer cruise.

We did the 6 night and it was great!! We liked it so much we booked the 8 night for 10 days from now!!! Give Indy a shot - maybe try the 8 night while it's still available??

I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing cruise with so many negative points. Can I ask what you really enjoyed as I am sure there must have been some things other than the pizza of course ;)

I sailed on Indy last year and she is my favourite ship. In fact, I have now planned to go on her again twice this year. :)

We think you're a little harsh with the "some people simply cannot be satisfied no matter what" comment.

It's a fact. Anyone dealing with the public regarding offering products or services knows this to be a fact.

I stated that folks certainly have every right to their opinions in their reviews - consistent with what you stated. Good or bad, I agree with you that knowing one's cruise experiences are beneficial.

That said, a reality check requires people to realize that no matter what is offered or experienced...there is a % of the population that will never be satisfied. That's not being harsh...that's just having open eyes.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Sorry to hear your cruise was not any fun! We will be on the Independence in 2 weeks and hope things are better for the 8 night itinerary we have planned!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I certainly didn't get the feeling they had no fun, the OP was just being somewhat analytical with some comparisons.

So sorry your cruise on the Indy was a disappointment. We were on her in December and had a great time. Not sure if your CD was Joff Eaton but honestly, we didn't care for him at all either. However, that said, the CD doesn't really affect my fun. I do know we found lots of stuff to do.

The Paul Gauguin is AMAZING! LOVE LOVE LOVED it! We can't even begin to compare any of the mega cruise lines that! We can't wait to go back!

I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing cruise with so many negative points. Can I ask what you really enjoyed as I am sure there must have been some things other than the pizza of course ;)

I sailed on Indy last year and she is my favourite ship. In fact, I have now planned to go on her again twice this year. :)

We sailed on this ship for the itinerary to add a few new countries to our list.

We enjoyed our excursions - String Ray City in Grand Cayman, and then climbing Dunn River Falls in Jamaica was the highlight of the cruise for us.

We liked the flowrider.

We enjoyed the super fast service in the MDR.

We liked the ice show and the dancing show in the main theater.

We liked that they fill the glasses with beverages for you at the buffet.

We liked the pizza.

And, there was rarely a line anywhere we went, that was nice!

I certainly didn't get the feeling they had no fun, the OP was just being somewhat analytical with some comparisons.

Analytical - yes. We are mathematics and computer science majors. :-)

So sorry your cruise on the Indy was a disappointment. We were on her in December and had a great time. Not sure if your CD was Joff Eaton but honestly, we didn't care for him at all either. However, that said, the CD doesn't really affect my fun. I do know we found lots of stuff to do.

Our CD was Mike from Australia.

3 parades! What?! We didn't even get one! disappointing!

We never had a problem finding a chair in the sun or shade, but we also weren't looking in the prime restate area right next to the pool. If you want those seats, get there early.

Yes, we had 3 parades during the 8 night cruise...they were always held at 10:30 p.m. (I don't remember which nights, though) One was Mardi Gras, one was an 80's theme, and I don't recall the 3rd.

• 1 month later...
We've just returned home from the Independence of the Seas on the April 6-12, 2014 sailing.

We're working on our review and will post it as we finish it.

Feel free to jump in with any questions! We're happy to help.

I was wondering if there any theme parties 70's or white party or 20's party or anything

I was on this cruise also and the 70's show was a disappointment. We were on Allure the week before this cruise and the 2 70's show were like night and day. I've been on Mariner also and that show was better than Indy's also. CD on Indy didn't seen to be interested when performing it, the assistant CD did a much better job!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We have only cruised once on the Carnival Breeze and we didn't enjoy it very much. We almost felt like maybe cruising isn't for us, but we decided to give it one more shot. We will be cruising The Indy in march. I'm hoping we will have a better experience than our first cruise. I really enjoy reading what other people's experiences are. As I'm learning not every person's experience is the same. Thank you for taking the time to share your trip with us.