Concierge Class credit card holder - RFID shield?

TourDeCruise

In February, we had a Concierge Class cabin for our third Century cruise on our b2b2b and received a small credit card holder which was on the desk in the cabin. Are these holders provided in Concierge Class (& above) cabins RFID blockers that help to shield and protect against identify theft of cards placed within them? I asked at Guest Relations and the officer nodded yes, but I'll like to ask here too as we intend on using it on our upcoming cruise next week. I already have an RFID blocking holder, but thought my dh could use the Concierge one for his new pin & chip card; both holders have similar material on the inside (Tyvek?).

The Guest Relations officer also indicated it would help against demagnetization of my sea pass card that comes from placing the sea pass card near a credit card or digital camera. When I asked if it would provide protection against demagnetizing even if both the credit card and sea pass card were in the same holder, she again nodded.

Anyone else have experience or information with the effectiveness of this holder either to prevent demagnetization or as an RFID blocker?

TIA,

Kathy

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that are simply decorative key card holders. We’ve received a few in the past year or so, and in fact, received one last cruise from a staff as a “gift” after a minor cabin issue.

If you need a secure card holder, I suggest you use one that specifically notes it is anti-theft

Enjoy

M

I've always presumed these were just plain old cheap leather, or maybe plain old cheap imitation leather. I seriously doubt that they block either RFID or items that demagnetize - other than adding a think layer of leather between your card and the demagnetizing object.

These are basically unchanged from 10 years ago when neither issue were issues. I also doubt that Celebrity would pay extra for RFID blocking materials since the seapass cards are not RFID. Remember they probably buy hundreds of thousands of these at a time so a few cents each would add up.

I do not know the answer to this question, but I CAN tell you that it IS important to keep your card protected / shielded.

On our Silhouette cruise last week I had my card de-magnetized twice, and my DW had to get a new card once.

The first time I was told that I did it when I held my card against my iPad case.

Okay, that I understood.

But the other times, I have no idea why.

If I had one of those card holders with RFID shielding, or prevented losing its mag stripe info, I would have used it. ;)

Edited by erin_cruisers

Hi Kathy,

Actually, in my experience the card holders have changed, and not for the better. They used to be soft and nice. Now they're some sort of cheap imitation leather. I highly doubt that they are RFID blocking, as Larry says, that would be a significant cost expense to Celebrity.

If you have something you've purchased from a reputable retailer that says it's RFID blocking, I'd definitely use that.

Enjoy your cruises!

Thank you, everyone, for your information!

I have my own RFID blocking card holder that looks like the Celebrity one but it was sold/bought as an RFID blocking holder and it is real leather. lol. I also have a few of those RFID blocking paper/foil sleeves that we can use in conjunction with the holders (insert cards in sleeves then into holders).

I am the "queen" of the demagnetized sea pass card! On the last cruise, I got in the habit of carrying the card holder with the sea pass card in it because between other cards, a digital camera, an iPad, and a cellphone - sometimes in my hands and other times in the purse, something was always demagnetizing the sea pass card. I have probably averaged 2 visits to Guest Relations per cruise. Then there was the time we were locked out of our cabin on the Mercury because the cabin lock battery went dead. :rolleyes:

Kathy

I do find that the "pleather" card holders (we have a collection of them from our occasional suite stays) do provide a little protection from the "card-killing" magnets that seem to be ever-present in my handbags. Wouldn't think that they provide any protection for an RFID chip, though.

Since we got our new passports, with chips, I've been looking at PACSAFE RFID wallets & passport-holders. They have a good selection, at reasonable prices. Sure beats building a make-shift Faraday cage out of a ziploc bag and aluminum foil! ;)

I do find that the "pleather" card holders (we have a collection of them from our occasional suite stays) do provide a little protection from the "card-killing" magnets that seem to be ever-present in my handbags. Wouldn't think that they provide any protection for an RFID chip, though.

Since we got our new passports, with chips, I've been looking at PACSAFE RFID wallets & passport-holders. They have a good selection, at reasonable prices. Sure beats building a make-shift Faraday cage out of a ziploc bag and aluminum foil! ;)

Suzanne, ROTFL about "pleather" and constructing my own makeshift holder that would probably look like a piece of trash. And you know what we do with trash. Guest Relations would "enjoy" that story/excuse for a lost card.

My Keen travel purse has a magnet closure. That sure doesn't help when card is in the purse. I try to position it away from the magnet. I just bought a new travel purse without magnet closures for the upcoming cruise. I have an RFID blocking wallet for the passport. Our driver's licenses have the RFID chip too.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Passport & driver's license

I bought some decorative holders from QVC - set of 8 and one for my passport. Very handy little invention!

I have demagnetized my card on EVERY cruise I've taken, some more than twice a cruise! Not this year...

Edited by Chazteach1

I am so glad that you haven't been slammed by talking about RFID. When I brought up the fact that my DH and I both had wallets in RFID, I was told how ignorant i was for spending that kind of many on something so worthless. This was by more than one person. However, I know these card holders are not RFID so if that is important, you need to purchase some for your needs. the prices have actually come down a little. IMO, they are a must for Europe! (only my opinion)

Edited by Lastdance

I am so glad that you haven't been slammed by talking about RFID. When I brought up the fact that my DH and I both had wallets in RFID, I was told how ignorant i was for spending that kind of many on something so worthless. This was by more than one person. However, I know these card holders are not RFID so if that is important, you need to purchase some for your needs. the prices have actually come down a little. IMO, they are a must for Europe! (only my opinion)

Well, the thread is still young, so it could still happen. :cool:

Maybe the blockers are not foolproof and different ones vary as to effectiveness, but they should minimize the risk. It might be a good idea to get the app to test the effectiveness.

Kathy

I know it's your opinion which you are quite rightly entitled to. But, in no way are they a must for Europe. That's just exaggerating an issue which isn't in fact a problem yet in Europe.

RFID and the mag stripe on the SeaPass card are different issues. The way they get affected are not really related.

While they both can be better protected by special materials around them only RF foil is really helpful for RFID cards. All RFID "protectors" have a thin metallic foil to diminish RF energy from reaching the card. The same RF energy does nothing for a mag stripe card (SeaPass). Magnetic energy is different and is much more difficult to block.

BTW, chip type US passports have RFID blocking built in, if you keep them closed.;)

Interesting. I've never seen this mentioned before. Can you give us the source of this statement?
From http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html#ePassport

“Skimming.” We use an embedded metallic element in our passports. One of the simplest measures for preventing unauthorized reading of e-passports is to add RF blocking material to the cover of an e-passport. A passport has to be physically opened before it can be read. It is a simple and effective method for reducing the opportunity for unauthorized reading of the passport.

In the FAQ there is also the question "Can I get a passport without a chip?" There is a one word answer: NO.

Interesting also is that the passport card (not the book discussed above) RFID contains no personal data. It just contains a pointer to an entry in a State Dept database.

Enjoy

Ron

Edited by ronrythm

From http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html#ePassport

“Skimming.” We use an embedded metallic element in our passports. One of the simplest measures for preventing unauthorized reading of e-passports is to add RF blocking material to the cover of an e-passport. A passport has to be physically opened before it can be read. It is a simple and effective method for reducing the opportunity for unauthorized reading of the passport.

In the FAQ there is also the question "Can I get a passport without a chip?" There is a one word answer: NO.

Interesting also is that the passport card (not the book discussed above) RFID contains no personal data. It just contains a pointer to an entry in a State Dept database.

Enjoy

Ron

Interesting piece of information. Thanks for sharing. Nice to have some useful information here instead of all the sniping going on lately.

Guess I'll ignore all the ads trying to sell me RFID protection for my passport! :D

I know it's your opinion which you are quite rightly entitled to. But, in no way are they a must for Europe. That's just exaggerating an issue which isn't in fact a problem yet in Europe.

Maybe not for you, but for 4 of us last year, it saved us from having to go through a lot of phone class to the States. You are very fortunate to have not had an issue yet! I hope you never do. I am not always very trusting due to things that have happened to me; I wish I didn't have to be this way, but I love to travel. Thank you for not slamming me!:cool: I am not exaggerating the issue for myself and my DH. Sorry I didn't say "for me."

Edited by Lastdance

Guess I'll ignore all the ads trying to sell me RFID protection for my passport! :D

....or for any other RFID card. Yes, it can be done, but in reality it is so difficult that you don't really need the protection. You are much more likely to be robbed physically than electronically.;)

Ha ha, I use that "wallet for my everyday wallet. I don't carry a lot with me, a couple of cards, ID and a little cash. I get a new wallet every time I cruise.

I would not buy an RFID wallet but that is just me. I just keep an extra card in the cabin so if something happens I have card and the credit card company can deal with the "stolen" one.

Traveled all over the word with no issues yet. My biggest threat is ME losing my wallet.

enjoy

....or for any other RFID card. Yes, it can be done, but in reality it is so difficult that you don't really need the protection. You are much more likely to be robbed physically than electronically.;)

I ignore those as well. :D

Although I did have an issue once after using my card in a Walmart. American Express was totally on top of it and called me the next morning to tell me my card had been compromised and they were FedExing a new one to me.

Interesting articles...;) It is never an issue until it happens to you. It did to me, almost! Many thanks to the Policia!

http://www.eweek.com/blogs/security-watch/do-you-need-rfid-protection-for-your-real-wallet.html

and/or

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/money/credit-card-fraud/rfid-credit-cards/index.htm

Edited by Lastdance