Motion Sickness/Celebrity Silhouette

mrsavoigt

My husband and I are planning our first cruise and have a question. We were going to get a Veranda or AquaClass room on the Silhouette, but I'm worried about getting motion sick. I am not sure what type of room would be best for me. If this helps, I get motion sick by visuals mostly (rides with screens are the worse, Soarin' at DisneyWorld is my worst nightmare), and spinning, but that shouldn't even be an issue.

Any recommendations?

Center and low is usually the best bet.

I wear SeaBands and it helps - even on twisty windy roads - no idea if that's real or just in my head - as long as my stomach stays down.

Some cruise locations are rougher than others. Where are you thinking of going?

Take ginger root capsules...they work for me :)

I've heard that from many people and they say it really works. Midship would be the best location for less movement.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise:)

Edited by Happy2cruise

We were just on Silhouette last week, doing a Western Itinerary, and never felt any motion - very stable.

Having a balcony cabin is actually best because at the onset of motion sickness, being able to look out at the horizon is important.

Like others have mentioned, getting a cabin mid-ship is key to minimize effects.

We take Sea-bands on every cruise, and even though we've yet to use them, we often loan them out to newbies for a few days. We're told they helped.

Enjoy :)

If the OP chooses an AQua cabin she'll be on the 11th deck, and the motion is quite pronounced up there, as I was for us last week. We were at the very front,too. We had 35 knot winds for a couple days, so there was a bit of movement

The Silhouette is a very stable ship. You will forget that you are on a ship all together!

Always remember The Middle of the ship in the Middle of the ship (Center).

Have fun on your first cruise. You picked a great ship to start cruising with!

My husband and I are planning our first cruise and have a question. We were going to get a Veranda or AquaClass room on the Silhouette, but I'm worried about getting motion sick. I am not sure what type of room would be best for me. If this helps, I get motion sick by visuals mostly (rides with screens are the worse, Soarin' at DisneyWorld is my worst nightmare), and spinning, but that shouldn't even be an issue.

Any recommendations?

We take a generic seasick pill from CVS every morning, but especially the morning of departure and the first sea day on the Eastern Caribbean cruise . As mentioned , try for a veranda cabin on decks 7,8,9 near the center hump area of the ship. If you can snag a category 1A on the slant portion of the hump you will love the larger balcony! Happy Sailing on our favorite ship!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by travellink

We are hoping to do Eastern Caribbean. Would an inside cabin be better?

It's individual. But I find that a breath of cool air often saves my day. I head for the deck chair when I feel squishy.

And others use the horizon as a visual guide and avoid dizziness that way. Not being able to see often makes it worse.

Odds are you'll be fine. The Caribbean isn't as rough as the oceans. Most voyages on large ships are fairly stable. Just don't go during hurricane season. We like early December when things are both quieter and cheaper. ; )

Welcome to a new adventure.

If you get seasick on land (motion sickness), consider something a bit stronger for your cruise. I use transderm patches (scopolimine). Each patch will last for 3-4 days. They are prescription only but worth the small cost. I always get seasick without them and we take 3-5 cruises a year.

Selecting a cabin is fine but you will not be in that cabin the whole trip (hope not!) so go with a prescription or even over the counter such as dramamine or bonine.

We're leaving Sat. for a 15 night transatlantic & I've got my patches ready!

Have fun & don't let seasickness keep you from cruising.:)

I get car sick, can't go on any rides, get sick on smaller boats, get sick on the simulated rides at amusement parks. But I never get sea sick on cruise ships. I don't take any medication at all. Once it was really rough the first night out, before getting sea legs, and I felt it slightly. Normally you don't even know you are on a ship.

We also swear by the "patch", the prescription transderm patch. Cruising is such an exciting, new adventure. If you're worried, I would get it as it will take the worry away. It always works like a charm but you need to talk to your doctor. Happy sailing!

I pack the patch, bonine (2x - do not take with the patch), sea bands, ginger candy (it was recommended that I melt these in tea), etc. We have always had a balcony, mid-ship. Nobody in my family has had a problem and I have never had to open my stash. Plan for the worst; hope for the best.

The least movement is, as has been said, the middle of the ship at the middle of the ship. That means an inside cabin. The lowest possible deck is also the most stable -- closest to sick bay, as a guideline.

You said that visuals are the trigger for you. For that reason, I would avoid outside or balcony cabins, as you would be looking at a horizon that might appear to be moving.

Inside cabins are just as comfortable as outside or balcony; on Celebrity they are often even a bit larger. We've never found them to be claustrophobic or airless.

That said, chances are good that your cruise will be smooth and wonderful no matter where your cabin is.

• 1 month later...

I, too, get very ill on the "simulator type rides". One movie in an Imax theatre had me laid out flat for 3 days, queasy. While I can go on coasters, and love them, put me on water and I'm toast. Unless its a thrill ride- speedboat, wave runner, etc., a slow, bobbing ship is the end of me for a while.

We sailed to So. Caribbean last year for our first ever cruise. Always wanted to try cruising and went prepared. Tried hypnotherapy - couldnt go under - brought a prescription electronic "sea band" type of device - ReliefBand from Aeromedix, (used for chemo nausea, acrobatic pilots, morning sickness, etc), brought a bottle of ginger capsules, and two boxes of prescription scopalamine patches.

"You wont feel anything on the big ships" my sis-in-law said. You'll be fine!" Uh huh. Thirty minutes out of San Juan, in only 5 foot seas (which is NOTHING), I was feeling queasy at the dinner table, seeing everyone sway gently side to side, including myself. Whipped out my ginger capsules - broke out in hives within 20 minutes - looked spectacular when my face and neck got covered with big red welts. Wrangled open my sealed package of the electronic seasickness "watch" (The french couples we were seated with, who all spoke no English and us, not speaking French , must have thought they were watching a side show!) Cranked that thing up to 10 and stimulated the nerve in my wrist so much that my hand twitched - almost made me forgot about my queasiness. Almost, but not enough. Didnt even get to enjoy my second bite of Prime Rib.

Husband rescued me from the restroom and got be back to cabin. I was thankful that I'd insisted on a balcony . Stuck on a patch, sat outside feeling the cool breeze and watched the ship make waves, all of which helped A LOT. Laid down and rolled from side to side on the bed... ugh, but I fell asleep quickly, thankfully. Woke up after the ship docked, felt pretty good, thankfully.

With all of the sea-bourne excursions we did, I only felt slightly queasy on board Summit for night two. The ship swayed the same each and every night. Only a few people seemed to be bothered by it. We were on deck 9, slightly aft, which our TA assured wouldn't feel much. Hah! Replaced the patch every other day as the prescrip recommends, didnt drink a lot of alcohol as recommended, and felt terribly cotton-mouthed, but I think it saved my trip!

To the op who mentioned the ReliefBands, I dont think it helped me a lot, even though I was certain to have placed it correctly. Maybe I would have been worse if I hadnt tried it, which is possible, but I am just not certain. I will be bringing it on my 03/15 Western Carib. cruise just in case. Hopefully the batteries will still work since the thing wasnt cheap!. DEFINITELY will bring plenty of the patch, AND put it on as soon as our plane lands.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I agree with what has been already said. Mid-ship is best. That being said, I have always been in a balcony suite on a higher deck. My best advice - put on your wrist (sea) bands ANYTIME the ship is sailing. I took along ginger capsules for my last cruise and quite honestly I don't think they did anything, although of course it's hard to be sure since I was also wearing wrist bands. The fewer 'cruising only' days, the better for me. And so cruises that are visit lots of ports work great for anyone who is prone to motion sickness. The Caribbean is typically quite calm and often there is very little sensation of movement, although if the ship is trying to make up some lost time between ports for whatever reason, you can get going pretty good at night. Actually, I found the motion at night to be quite enjoyable and slept great! But, of course that was with wearing sea bands while sleeping. I think you will have a great cruise. Also, be less concerned with the motion issues than you are about keeping hands clean and using hand sanitizer as much as possible to hopefully stave off any sort of norovirus symptoms that are so prevalent on ships. The effects of that are FAR worse than a bit of motion sickness. Take along a pack of chlorox wipes and then when you get in your cabin wipe off all the drawer pulls, handles, etc. It's worth it. Also, try to only use the bathroom in your cabin rather than those close to the buffet and restaurant areas. Best wishes for a fantastic trip! Go and enjoy.

Edited by three4rd

The example I always give is if you stand up a pencil and sway it side to side you can see that the lowest point of the pencil is moving the least therefore if you were on the ship take the lowest cabin in the center of the ship and that will be where the movement is the least. Most important of all is to take the most midship cabin that you can, a balcony is always nice just because you can go out on it, if you can afford to if not go with whatever cabin category you can afford as long as it is in the center of the ship lower deck is preferable. Even though I've been on over 100 Cruises I still always get a prescription from my doctor for Compazine. Usually I do not need it but I take it the first day prior to setting sail and then if I feel the ship starting to rock I take one usually you only take them every 12 to 24 hours. The only problem with the patches are a lot of people are affected by them with blurred vision and very dry mouth sometimes it is advisable to start with only a half of patch behind your ear as opposed to the whole patch you might want to try that out before you go on the cruise if you're going to go that route. I personally have never used the patch but I know from talking to a lot of people they have had that experience with them. Most cruise lines offer Bonnie or something similar at the guest relations desk in case you need something and don't have it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums