Why should a loyal carnival cruiser try RCCL?

I've cruised on 4 different lines and enjoyed things about all of them. If you cruise a lot, I think it's good sometimes to change things up. It helps keep cruising fresh and exciting.

We met a couple on our cruise last week on the Navigator who had taken 13 Carnival cruises and were on their first RCI. They really enjoyed themselves. I think in part that was because it is a beautiful ship and the crew is great, but I also think part of it was the novelty...everything was new to them.

Cindy, what did you think of the Navigator since her revitalization? She is one of my favorite ships and was the first of many RCI cruises.

Great thread! After 7 Carnival cruises we may be giving RCI a try. And Pride is my fave CCL ship that I've been on (we haven't been on any of the Dream class). DH just saw a show on the Oasis and wants to try her out. I just want to cruise :D.

Cindy, what did you think of the Navigator since her revitalization? She is one of my favorite ships and was the first of many RCI cruises.

I thought the ship was beautiful...there's really very little they didn't touch. To me the new cabin color schemes are a huge improvement(no more peach & aqua!:)), and the new cabins I saw on Deck 12 are fantastic. A couple things they did that seem to have been overlooked by many, but I thought were a huge improvement...all the pool decking has been replaced with a fake teak. It looks great and it's not slippery! The same material was used on the balconies. They also replaced the tile outside the Windjammer all the way across to both doors out to the pools. Hallelujah! It's textured non-slip tile! What an improvement...I can't tell you how many times I almost broke my neck on the very slippery marble tile in the humidity.

I hope to get some pictures and thoughts up this weekend, but for the most part my impressions were very positive.

It didn't look like they touched the Schooner Bar -- maybe new carpet -- so the torn upholstery and chairs that need repair stuck out like a sore thumb. The Concierge Lounge is still dark and dreary, but the Diamond Lounge is beautiful and offers exactly the same thing on Navigator. I wondered if perhaps they're getting ready to replace loungers...there were some strapless frames and some decrepit looking chaises up on an observation deck over the new cabins, and then a section of chairs that were brown woven slings instead of the blue and white straps. That area kind of looked like a work in progress.

While I'm on the subject of chairs, the there are no lounge chairs on the GS balconies on Navigator. I was told by the concierge it's because people would get drunk and fall off!:rolleyes: For some reason, that really rubbed me the wrong way. Why make up a stupid excuse? Just tell me they're being replaced, or repaired, or anything other than I might get drunk and fall off. I couldn't help but notice that the people in an OS or the RS must not have the same drinking problem, and when we were in Cozumel I saw obviously they know how to sit properly on their chairs on the Allure too!:eek: It's not that big a deal...they brought 2 of the strappy chaises as soon as I asked, I just don't like it when I feel like somebody's talking to me like I'm an imbecile!:o

Now that my rant is over...the Navigator looks great!:D

Edited by Cindy

I thought the ship was beautiful...there's really very little they didn't touch. To me the new cabin color schemes are a huge improvement(no more peach & aqua!:)), and the new cabins I saw on Deck 12 are fantastic. A couple things they did that seem to have been overlooked by many, but I thought were a huge improvement...all the pool decking has been replaced with a fake teak. It looks great and it's not slippery! The same material was used on the balconies. They also replaced the tile outside the Windjammer all the way across to both doors out to the pools. Hallelujah! It's textured non-slip tile! What an improvement...I can't tell you how many times I almost broke my neck on the very slippery marble tile in the humidity.

I hope to get some pictures and thoughts up this weekend, but for the most part my impressions were very positive.

It didn't look like they touched the Schooner Bar -- maybe new carpet -- so the torn upholstery and chairs that need repair stuck out like a sore thumb. The Concierge Lounge is still dark and dreary, but the Diamond Lounge is beautiful and offers exactly the same thing on Navigator. I wondered if perhaps they're getting ready to replace loungers...there were some strapless frames and some decrepit looking chaises up on an observation deck over the new cabins, and then a section of chairs that were brown woven slings instead of the blue and white straps. That area kind of looked like a work in progress.

While I'm on the subject of chairs, the there are no lounge chairs on the GS balconies on Navigator. I was told by the concierge it's because people would get drunk and fall off!:rolleyes: For some reason, that really rubbed me the wrong way. Why make up a stupid excuse? Just tell me they're being replaced, or repaired, or anything other than I might get drunk and fall off. I couldn't help but notice that the people in an OS or the RS must not have the same drinking problem, and when we were in Cozumel I saw obviously they know how to sit properly on their chairs on the Allure too!:eek: It's not that big a deal...they brought 2 of the strappy chaises as soon as I asked, I just don't like it when I feel like somebody's talking to me like I'm an imbecile!:o

Now that my rant is over...the Navigator looks great!:D

Sounds nice. Glad to see RCI spending time and money to keep the fleet looking good.

Can't believe the excuse that they gave you about the GS deck furniture. That would have ticked me off. I found out last summer before we boarded the Splendour in Venice that the GS did not gave any lounge chairs. I sent the Concierge an email the week before we sailed and asked her to please have two lounge chairs placed before we arrived. She did. She was rewarded well.:) wonder if this now standard for a GS?

Sounds nice. Glad to see RCI spending time and money to keep the fleet looking good.

Can't believe the excuse that they gave you about the GS deck furniture. That would have ticked me off. I found out last summer before we boarded the Splendour in Venice that the GS did not gave any lounge chairs. I sent the Concierge an email the week before we sailed and asked her to please have two lounge chairs placed before we arrived. She did. She was rewarded well.:) wonder if this now standard for a GS?

I hope not...they need SOMETHING out there, even if they put half reclining chairs and footstools. What's the point of a big balcony if you can't take a nap out there?:D I'll have to check on the Serenade before next March.

I have sailed carnival many times. I have sails RCCL mariner of the seas about 10 years ago. For anyone who has cruised both RCCL and CCL can you tell me why I should try RCCL again...

Considerations: RCCL more expensive, only 1 person has to purchase beverage program on RCCL, prefer easy access to food options by the pool on carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

/ what is your ideal cruise experience . I have cruised 3 times carnival 5 rc here is my opinion of some of the things that might be important to you service : a push staterooms although carnival is a tad large still a push food : a push if you don't specialty dine ( and I don't ) ports again : push comedy program: carnival hands down the you could go to 2 different comedy shows every night entertainment as a whole : no question : rc from the 1 st time I cruised carnival and their last night entertainment they recruited out of the karaoke bar to perform explains the difference in a nut shell . rc spends money to have broadway like shows Chicago Saturday night fever hairspray mama mia in addition to las vegas acts . I also feel the rc loyalty program although several complain is tons better than carnivals

I assume that your "third" cruise with RCI has been since April 1st??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42279069&postcount=55

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42051510&postcount=59

Of course on April 14th you posted that you have cruised on RCI 4 times. LOL!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42430848&postcount=95

I have my doubts that you have even stepped foot on RCI.:rolleyes:

Dang caught in a lie! Can't trust anyone these days smh

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Someone stated that you can cruise on CCL , two for the cost of one on RCI....in life you get what you pay for. I cannot believe you are getting the same cruise experience for half what you pay on Royal. Are you nickled and dimed to death on a Carnival ship? Are they comparable cruises?

I too disagree with the "you get what you pay for" statement, at least for us. While our Disney cruise was better than the others we have done, it was not worth the price difference, in our opinion.

Edited by time4u2go

Dang caught in a lie! Can't trust anyone these days smh

apparently some of you royal "snobs" haven't heard of typos. :rolleyes:. I have sailed Freedom twice and the allure once.

nice ships? yes. better service? not in my eyes.

Try it. you may like it, you may not. I didn't. only you can decide if you like it or not. some say the food is better on rcl, I didn't think so. I did like the ice shows, and watching the flow rider (when it was open). whatever you decide, have a great vacation. This is why I don't read reviews on CC. its opinions of others, and I have found the exact opposites in my experiences

apparently some of you royal "snobs" haven't heard of typos. :rolleyes:. I have sailed Freedom twice and the allure once.

Try it. you may like it, you may not. I didn't. only you can decide if you like it or not. some say the food is better on rcl, I didn't think so. I did like the ice shows, and watching the flow rider (when it was open). whatever you decide, have a great vacation. This is why I don't read reviews on CC. its opinions of others, and I have found the exact opposites in my experiences

LOL. Those were not "typos". Maybe next time you will get your story straight and at least try to make it look legit.

Whoops! Looks like more typos:

I tried RCL twice and hated it. room size, bed, service, food, entertainment was so-so. the ship was beautiful, but for the price...wont sail them again. too much money for what they offered

I sailed Freedom of the seas, Enchantment of the seas and oasis of the seas. Oasis, was just too big for me, and I didn't really understand the hype. Sure the ship was beautiful, but I was really let down by the service and food. needles to say, I did have a pretty good time. I tried it, I did it, but not again...unless someone pays for me :D

Thanks for the comparison.

Freedom of the seas on RCL didn't have a pool open 24 hours, also when I went on the enchantment last month they didn't either, is this new?

I don't read the reviews on here. I read SO many bad things about the fascination....but it was opposite when I sailed her. I read SOOOOOOO many great things about RCL's freedom of the seas and brilliance of the seas...can't say I cared for either one...I thought the food, service and entertainment on carnival was better. I haven't really noticed any of the cutbacks, but then, I don't look for them. look at cost between the ships, ports etc. base your decision off that. some people complain about extremely minor things. people have no problem writing bad reviews, but nobody hardly writes about the good. read some of the good reviews too. I haven't sailed on the breeze yet....but it is at the top of our cruises for next year list

This is just too much fun. How many Royal ships are we up to now. I think I lost count.

I look at it like I look at marriage: choose the right one the first time and you'll never look at another.

I've been on RC 3 times, and every time it gets better. Why go for hamburger when I have filet mignon?

jayblue RCCL cruiser

Edited by jayblue

Whoops! Looks like more typos:

This is just too much fun. How many Royal ships are we up to now. I think I lost count.

Just gets better and better. I have sat back for a long time and watched as this person posted comments like this knowing that it wasn't the truth. She has been outed. Hopefully she gives up and keeps her comments about cruise lines that she has actually cruised.

To the OP. My apologies for this thread going sideways.

Edited by cruisingator2

Just gets better and better. I have sat back for a long time and watched as this person posted comments like this knowing that it wasn't the truth. She has been outed. Hopefully she gives up and keeps her comments about cruise lines that she has actually cruised.

Nice work outing her. Her posts are a fun read. I'm sure there's more where they came from. ;)

Edited by Big_G

OP, I think it really depends on what sort of vacation experience you are looking for. Voyager class and larger really give the Wow in size and design and layout. Radiance and Vision class are more likely to deliver a more classic cruise feel but a bit more upscale than Carnival. If Carnival is Toyota, think of RC like Lexus; functionally similar, but more comfort and convenience options on one with a bit of nicer trimmings.

I often compare the two lines because they both sail a ton of ships out of my backyard and when I look at times I can go Carnival is USUALLY the same price, or prices are within 5% of each other, sometime CCL higher, sometimes RCI higher. Whenever I get blockbuster deals they blow out anything I've ever found on Carnival. It's just one of those things that as you pay more attention to the brand and get more savvy about sales, timing, discounts, etc, you start realizing some very excellent deals.

Now, I look for great value. Great value doesn't necessarily always mean the cheapest. If RCI is more $$ than Carnival, within reason, I'm taking RCI.

You are going to get cheerleaders for both lines. It is simple, you get what you pay for. My first cruise was in 1990 on the Royal. After that I cruised many times on Carnival and then I went back on the Royal. All I can is what a difference. From the crew who treat you like family to the class of people who you vacation with is totally different from Carnival. I would say the food was equivalent. I feel Carnival did beat Royal in entertainment but Royal had things that Carnival didn't. (ex: ice skating show, rock climbing wall, parades on promenade deck to name a few). Also even though Royal's rooms may be a bit smaller, I felt like I had more room since it was set up better. Mirrors in the bathroom and near the vanity area opened up and had shelves inside for your items. Nice not to have clutter around.

You are going to get cheerleaders for both lines. It is simple, you get what you pay for. My first cruise was in 1990 on the Royal. After that I cruised many times on Carnival and then I went back on the Royal. All I can is what a difference. From the crew who treat you like family to the class of people who you vacation with is totally different from Carnival. I would say the food was equivalent. I feel Carnival did beat Royal in entertainment but Royal had things that Carnival didn't. (ex: ice skating show, rock climbing wall, parades on promenade deck to name a few). Also even though Royal's rooms may be a bit smaller, I felt like I had more room since it was set up better. Mirrors in the bathroom and near the vanity area opened up and had shelves inside for your items. Nice not to have clutter around.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for!! Great post.

I have sailed carnival many times. I have sails RCCL mariner of the seas about 10 years ago. For anyone who has cruised both RCCL and CCL can you tell me why I should try RCCL again...

Considerations: RCCL more expensive, only 1 person has to purchase beverage program on RCCL, prefer easy access to food options by the pool on carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is really a simple answer. When you book a hotel, do you book a Super 8 or Red Roof, or to you book a Hilton or Marriot?

When you eat out, do you go to Denny's or to you go to a Steak house?

The same goes for CCL and RCCL. In the last several years, CCL went backwards and RCCL has went forward, which has separated the two. You pay for what you get. If all you care about is whether you can get a hamburger at the pool than CCL is for you. If you want a better entertainment options, better "activities" and an all around better customer service, than RCCL is for you.

I no longer sail on CCL, do not go to Denny's, and I stay away from cheap hotels. All these items cost more money, and I have no issue with paying for it.

I'll be sailing out of Galveston March 2015 in a hump balcony room for 7 days. Here are the two cruises that sail that week.

Ship Rating Price

Navigator of the Seas 4.5 $979.00

Carnival Magic 4.5 $849.00

My math show a difference of $130.00 and with using 1/2 of my balcony discount for comparison, it takes the difference down to $80.00.

Is it more? Yes. Can I get two Carnival cruises for the price of one Royal Caribbean cruise? Not that I have found.

If you can find a cruise for 4 for 7 days with two balcony rooms for $2,000 (half my RC cost), please let me know. I would be interested in checking it out.

Edited by MOSusan

I have sailed Freedom twice and the allure once.

So you bumped your head and forgot about your Brilliance cruise you told everyone on the Carnival forum about? :D:eek:

This is TOO funny!