Unwanted "music"

Mary Ellen

A friend of mine is currently on the Oosterdam. She is having a very difficult time finding quiet places to read. It seems that HAL has decided that every public space must have background "music" and it isn't what she considers music. As this cruise is almost a month long, she'd like to find someplace besides her cabin where she can sit quietly and read. Even the library has the "noise" (to use her term). She's 'well traveled' ;) with HAL but hasn't experienced noise pollution to this extent on other ships. Any ideas?

How about the 'Explorer's Lounge'? :confused:

Make that 80!:eek:

I have to agree with you! I'm 63 and Glen Miller was my parents' music :eek:

I don't understand why this is such a big issue. I have never noticed any intrusive "noise/music" on any cruise. And before anyone assumes I just don't like good music, one of my favorite things to do is listen to Adagio every night after dinner.

I think part of the problem is a clash between the "old" more sedate HAL and the younger demographic HAL is trying to attract. A lot of new and younger cruisers like not only different music but louder music and a more party atmosphere than the more senior HAL pax enjoy. Change is part of life and not always a good change for all. I love Glenn Miller, but I think HAL is definitely trying to dispense with its Glenn Miller reputation.

True enough, but from what I can see, the "younger demographic" all go around with their own personal iSomethings and earphones attached to them. That's fair, but since they have their own personal soundtrack, it would be nice if the rest of us could enjoy silence.

We were on the Eurodam the last two weeks of March. I liked going to the Crows Nest and sitting there to do the sudoku and quiz and watching the water. There was always music there. I sometimes had to ask for it to be turned down. I am one of these people who needs quiet to read or concentrate. I found all other lounges had music even when they were empty. This is not specific to HAL. It's the same on all ships. We always take earplugs for use in the theatre. It wasn't too bad this time except for that percussion thing from Americas got Talent. Earplugs couldn't handle that, so we left!

Go to the Library. Guaranteed to be quiet.

You must have not read this in my original post:

Even the library has the "noise" (to use her term).

I did get an email from my friend last night. The Explorers Lounge was now quiet. She is happy that she has an indoor place to read without the background "music".

btw: We both know HAL monitors the CC. Sometimes things can get worked out even when trying on board doesn't get the desired results.

As regards what is being played aboard, I think it is a case of you can't please everybody, but HAL is trying. We're just off the NA TA. I'm 56 and DH is 60. We were lunching on the aft pool deck. Apparently similarly aged folks at the table next to us leaned over and asked if we liked the music playing. I'm guessing it was pop from the last 10 years (about when we started loosing track), so we said we weren't familiar with it. Taking that as agreement, they said they agreed and couldn't imagine who would enjoy listening to it. And not 10 minutes before the two of us had commented that we couldn't think of when the last time was we heard the Andrews Sisters broadcasted, as it was playing then.

You just can't win. But you have to keep playing.

Because this is how they converse across the table:

Oh my you are so right..Last time my 20 something Granddaughter was here with her family, I had prepared a nice dinner for all of them.. Had to ask her & her little ones to please put the phones away while we were having dinner & talking..

Sorry but you can't just say that about the younger people - I'm in a group of ladies with average age in the 60's [i keep it low!!] and some of the oldest ones at the table have their phone out every minute. I hate seeing entire families sitting at a table with their phones all out not talking.

Same at work meetings - drives me crazy!

Drives me crazy too!

Does anyone else have the feeling that this thread in really confirming what a lot of people think about HAL cruisers :confused:

Yes. :eek:

True enough, but from what I can see, the "younger demographic" all go around with their own personal iSomethings and earphones attached to them. That's fair, but since they have their own personal soundtrack, it would be nice if the rest of us could enjoy silence.

You get on a ship with 2,000 other souls and expect silence?

I suspect much of the time when background music is played, it is used to help "block out" the sound of other peoples' conversations, laughter, etc. I know I'd rather hear the music. Then again, I've always been good at concentrating -- can read through dinner conversations, TV shows, whatever....