Child traveling with one parent

I just heard something about a form that needs to obtained for a child to travel with only one parent. This is the first that I have heard about this. I will be traveling alone with my three children, 21, 18 and 14. My husband has just recently passed away. Do I need something for my 14 yo? We are traveling with birth certificates. Should I take a copy of my husband's death certificate? Would this be enough?

I just heard something about a form that needs to obtained for a child to travel with only one parent. This is the first that I have heard about this. I will be traveling alone with my three children, 21, 18 and 14. My husband has just recently passed away. Do I need something for my 14 yo? We are traveling with birth certificates. Should I take a copy of my husband's death certificate? Would this be enough?

I am curious to know the answer to this as well. I will be travelling with my 13 year old nephew and his parents will not be on board.

Yes. Bring your child's birth certificate (which names you and your husband). And bring his death certificate. That should be fine.

So sorry for your loss. I hope you have a wonderful time on the cruise with your children!

I am curious to know the answer to this as well. I will be travelling with my 13 year old nephew and his parents will not be on board.

You need to bring additional paperwork. Birth certificate, naming each parent. And a notarized form from each parent giving permission to travel on specific ship, specific dates and to specific islands. Don't forget to get authorization to have him treated medically too.

Traveling with other people's children has some preparation to it. But if you are prepared with child's ID, permission to travel from each parent, and are able to treat medically - it will go fine! I have done it numerous times. Have a great cruise! :)

From the website - Do your names match?

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

I will be traveling alone with my three children, 21, 18 and 14. My husband has just recently passed away. Do I need something for my 14 yo? We are traveling with birth certificates. Should I take a copy of my husband's death certificate? Would this be enough?

The 21 and 18 year old are adults so you won't need anything for them. For the 14 year old you shouldn't need anything except his birth certificate since you are his mother, but have your husband's death cert with you just in case. My children's father and I are divorced and I have traveled alone with them on cruises multiple times and have never needed anything but their passports. (I always have a letter from their dad just in case but have never needed it.)

I am curious to know the answer to this as well. I will be traveling with my 13 year old nephew and his parents will not be on board.

Different situation, as you are not the boy's parent. Heed the advice already given regarding a notarized permission letter.

To the OP - I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, you'll need his death certificate.

To anyone else - If your names don't match PLEASE be sure you have the paperwork in order to connect the names.

I.E. My daughter and I have different last names (i've re-married). When we cruise I take (and have been asked for several times)

1. Her passport

2. Her b/c

3. My marriage certificate (showing my previous married name and my new one)

4. Copy of custody paperwork showing I'm primary physical custodian (I have been asked for this too)

5. Notorized letter from her dad with ship's name, sail date and authorization for me to take her out of the country.

I cannot stress enough how important all of these pieces of paperwork are. Even if you don't have different last names #5 is an absolute must regardless of if you're divorced or not. Also - if you are flying to a foreign country first most airlines will require it to check in. 7 years of international travel as a primary custodial parent has taught me to be over prepared than underprepared.

This is NOT a RCL policy - but an immigrations and customs enforcement policy.

Edited by IHateSnow!

I also have a different last name than my sons (changed mine back after the divorce). We just came home from sailing Oasis and I had the letter from my ex signed and notarized, giving me permission to take them. I also had their passports.

No one asked me for anything. Now, I don't delude myself into believing that no one ever will, but I always have the letter just in case.

I should also think about taking their BCs with me, since that shows me as their mother (and it has my current, maiden name so no other paperwork to connect me to them).

I hadn't ever taken my daughter on an RCI cruise and never needed anything other than her BC on our Carnival cruises.

I wasn't sure what I would need for our RCI cruise this month so I brought a notarized letter from her dad. At check-in I handed my passport and her BC to the rep and forgot all about the letter I had. They never batted an eye. Checked us in and sent us on our way.. no problems. We both have the same last name.

But, better to be safe than sorry.

I've done 4 cruises with my daughter and 2 with my niece whome I have court ordered guardianship of. It's been a 50/50 crap shoot as to whether or not I'll be asked for paperwork.

I've been asked for as little as a notorized letter and as much as the full paper trail to prove the name linkage.

Royal's "Offical" policy is to require all the paperwork - so I always carry it with me.

I've also been stopped by customs coming back into the US and been asked to provide said paperwork as well.

I believe a minor traveling with one parent also must travel on a passport. Just a BC isn't enough. That is a cruise line thing vs a legal issue though, I think.

My son and his son age 7 just got home from a cruise. The child's mother did not go. They only had BC not passports and there was no problem. Also they had the notarized letter from her and they never asked for it at checkin.

We took my daughter's BFF on a cruise when they were both 16. I had the notorized letter from her parents (as described above). I was asked for the letter at check-in. Its a crap shoot but one that you should be prepared for because you don't want to be denined boarding (or those traveling with you denied boarding).

I recently sailed on Allure with myself and my infant. I kept my maiden name, so my baby and I have different last names.

I brought a copy of his birth certificate and a notarized consent travel letter from my husband, just in case. They did not ask to see anything, just his passport.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your family has a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've traveled with two nieces (last names match) but I have always taken the notarized letter, and Royal has always asked for the letter at check-in.

Just curious, since your name and the nieces names match, what prompted RC to NOT assume you were their mother and ask for the letter?

Just curious, since your name and the nieces names match, what prompted RC to NOT assume you were their mother and ask for the letter?

I was told that there is data incoded into the child's passport that will show who the parents/guardians are (or who authorized the passports) - so when they swipe and the info pops up that info also pops up.

I was told this by a customs official once - who may or may not have been trying to freak me out as I was going into Canada with my DD (because if I was going to kidnap her Canada is where I'd go? :) ) So I claim no truth to this statement.

I was told that there is data incoded into the child's passport that will show who the parents/guardians are (or who authorized the passports) - so when they swipe and the info pops up that info also pops up.

I was told this by a customs official once - who may or may not have been trying to freak me out as I was going into Canada with my DD (because if I was going to kidnap her Canada is where I'd go? :) ) So I claim no truth to this statement.

Yes, Canada is where many child abductors go. Although it may be a crap shoot on cruises, Canada consistently asks for the authorization letter or death certificate. And yes, the data is included in the passport.

Yes, Canada is where many child abductors go. Although it may be a crap shoot on cruises, Canada consistently asks for the authorization letter or death certificate. And yes, the data is included in the passport.

It makes sense - all of our information is encoded into the passports - and I practically had to give a DNA sample to get my DD"s passport (and bribe my ex-husband to show up with me).

Of all the places I've been to, getting in and out of Canada has been the worst. And the worst point of entry - Windsor/Detroit!

Royal's been pretty good - Disney fine tooth combed the paperwork. Ahh...only 10 more years of this and she's 18. I can't wait for the fun of taking her on a European cruise and dealing with both foreign airport customs/cruise line customs!

It's better safe than sorry, but my experience on 4 cruises on 3 lines is that they don't ask.

My wife has different last name from mine and the boys. We use boy's passports as ID, they don't have mom's name on them anywhere. We always take copies of their BC just in case but have never been asked. I think that as long as 1 adult has same last name they don't question it. My wife could easily be some random girlfriend as far as all our paperwork shows but I've never been challenged.

I didn't know about the info being encoded in passports, but I don't recall them swiping them or anything, just looking.

Anyway that's just my experience.

Edited by DrD

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly my sincere condolences to both you and your children on your loss. I hope you and your children enjoy your vacation.

With regards to your question I am somewhat intrigued as I have sailed several times with dd (on a passport) by myself without DH as he has been unable to get the time off work. I have never been asked for anything:confused:

Dd has both mine and DH last names, so doesn't match mine exactly. Let me know what you find out.