Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

My husband and I are cruising from Ft.L in November. We plan to use the airport shuttle to get us to our hotel, but on the reverse side of the cruise, we want to head up the coast to Kennedy.

I assume there will be taxis at the pier just waiting to take people to the airport, hotels, and what not after returning to FtL. Are there any car rental facilities nearby? (I apologize if this has already been covered.)

Edited by mom3x

My husband and I are cruising from Ft.L in November. We plan to use the airport shuttle to get us to our hotel, but on the reverse side of the cruise, we want to head up the coast to Kennedy.

I assume there will be taxis at the pier just waiting to take people to the airport, hotels, and what not after returning to FtL. Are there any car rental facilities nearby? (I apologize if this has already been covered.)

Car rentals both at the FLL airport and in the downtown/17th street area of Fort Lauderdale. Shop around to find your best deal - cab from PE will only be $15 or less if whoever you rent from does not offer a shuttle.

Hyatt Pier 66 doesn't have a shuttle, and it is not a Hyatt Place hotel.

There is a Hyatt Place south of FLL airport that does:

Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

91 Southwest 18th Avenue

Dania Beach, Florida, USA, 33004

Oh I always thought the other hyatt was the pier one. I didbt know there were two hyatt places.Thank you for that, I would've been confused when I got there.

On google maps, search for a map of Port Everglades. Then under "search nearby" enter "car rental". There is a facility at the airport, and there are lots of other locations on 17th St, S Federal Hwy/Rt 1, and S.R. 84/24th St.

Not really. I think you're just going to the extreme with my question. I meant more a rude cab driver, an argumentative cab driver, maybe even an irritating one. I don't think I made that clear. Perhaps this can clear it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

I hardly ever speak with the driver. I may say a few words but that's

it.....not much talking goes in (in my experiences)....nothing to argue

about that is for sure.

hello everyone. we are at FLL airport waiting to board the first plane for our trip baxk home. I would like to thank everyone in this forum that has contributwd to make our vacation in Florida easy, enjoyable and fun. thank you guys!

inviato tramite Tapatalk

What is a good resturant around the 17th St area? Anything other than seafood is what I am looking for.

Hi, there is Carlos and Pepes' (Mexican), Bravo, (Italian) Chuck's Steakhouse......says it all;),....an Outback as well and Waxy O'conner's

(Irish Pub).

There are also restaurants in The Harbour Shops (on 17th Street).....

Coco's (Very Good Thai food), Gilbert's (restaurant/sportsbar).

Those are a few choices that are all along 17th........

What is a good resturant around the 17th St area? Anything other than seafood is what I am looking for.

We found a great place for lunch a couple of years ago. It is called Gyroville and is at 1479C 17th Street in the same strip mall that houses Best Buy and Ross clothing store.

It is not a table service type of restaurant, but a sandwich shop with real food, not cheap fast food burgers or the mystery meat of a well known sub shop chain.

All sandwiches are made to order. We had the "Zeus" which was absolutely delicious. It had a combination of lamb, chicken, and pork. You can eat at a table inside or outside. It is worth a try!

We found a great place for lunch a couple of years ago. It is called Gyroville and is at 1479C 17th Street in the same strip mall that houses Best Buy and Ross clothing store.

It is not a table service type of restaurant, but a sandwich shop with real food, not cheap fast food burgers or the mystery meat of a well known sub shop chain.

All sandwiches are made to order. We had the "Zeus" which was absolutely delicious. It had a combination of lamb, chicken, and pork. You can eat at a table inside or outside. It is worth a try!

I will have to try that. I also had an excellent sandwich at -- Laspada's Original Hoagies (1495-D SE 17th ST), I must admit quite the show in making them also.

Wish I had seen this place last time I was down there! I actually

went to Ross and missed it:eek:....next time I am in Ft. Lauderdale

pre cruise I will be trying it.......sounds terrific:D

Market 17 and Coco are very good. I enjoy eating waterfront at Bimini Boatyard and Southport Raw Bar...they have seafood and other things...at Southport I like the burgers, and at Bimini I like the Diane Salad. Duffy's Sports Bar has tasty food.

I will have to try that. I also had an excellent sandwich at -- Laspada's Original Hoagies (1495-D SE 17th ST), I must admit quite the show in making them also.

I have been reading about this place. I think I'll have to check them out.

Pre-Cruise - 13 of us at the Hilton Marina - I'm guessing many will be tired and wanting to order in for dinner. Is there a great/reasonable place in the area that delivers?

Post-Cruise - I'm spending 2 "recovery" days at the Westin Beach Resort. I don't want to plan ahead, but will be in a "go with the flow" mode. What is the location like? Are there things to do and restaurants to eat in if I just wander down the street?

This has been a great thread to read. Thanks to those who offer their wisdom!

Post-Cruise - I'm spending 2 "recovery" days at the Westin Beach Resort. I don't want to plan ahead, but will be in a "go with the flow" mode. What is the location like? Are there things to do and restaurants to eat in if I just wander down the street?

Post Cruise - Yes you are in a great location. 8ish min walk up the street you would hit what people call "the strip" which is bars, restaurants, shops, Los Olas BVLD area. (Standing at Westin facing ocean you would walk to your right).

You can also jump on the suntrolly if you don't want to walk.

http://www.suntrolley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BeachandLasOlasLink.jpg

Picture on link below will give you an idea of "the strip"

http://postimg.org/image/sbnvg3l21/

Also in area (walking distance) you could consider taking a water taxi ride. Goes through the intercoastal so you would see some of the ritzy mansions/yachts.

watertaxi.com

Edited by jb456

Pre-Cruise - 13 of us at the Hilton Marina - I'm guessing many will be tired and wanting to order in for dinner. Is there a great/reasonable place in the area that delivers?

This delivery service will bring you food from local restaurants. Click here to view menus. Big City Tavern and Cheesecake Factory are on the list and might fit the bill.... Quarterdeck and Ernies are closer but the food isn't great (it's fine though)

https://fortlauderdale.deliverydudes.com/

The hotel should have local pizza menus.

From the Westin, walk south (right) on A1A, go a few blocks and you'll find a bunch of go-with-the-flow restaurants. The first one you will come to is Casablanca Cafe; it's pretty good and they don't take reservations, so you can get a table as a walk-in. There's a fun piano bar in there too.

Post Cruise - Yes you are in a great location. 8ish min walk up the street you would hit what people call "the strip" which is bars, restaurants, shops, Los Olas BVLD area. (Standing at Westin facing ocean you would walk to your right).

You can also jump on the suntrolly if you don't want to walk.

http://www.suntrolley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BeachandLasOlasLink.jpg

Picture on link below will give you an idea of "the strip"

http://postimg.org/image/sbnvg3l21/

Also in area (walking distance) you could consider taking a water taxi ride. Goes through the intercoastal so you would see some of the ritzy mansions/yachts.

watertaxi.com

This is GREAT! Thanks. I had been attempting to "scout" the area using Google maps, but wasn't getting a feel for it. The picture helped too.

This delivery service will bring you food from local restaurants. Click here to view menus. Big City Tavern and Cheesecake Factory are on the list and might fit the bill.... Quarterdeck and Ernies are closer but the food isn't great (it's fine though)

https://fortlauderdale.deliverydudes.com/

The hotel should have local pizza menus.

From the Westin, walk south (right) on A1A, go a few blocks and you'll find a bunch of go-with-the-flow restaurants. The first one you will come to is Casablanca Cafe; it's pretty good and they don't take reservations, so you can get a table as a walk-in. There's a fun piano bar in there too.

WOW! Love the delivery dudes link! Thanks so much. Also, thanks for your take on the restaurants. I appreciate everyone's help.

Market 17 and Coco are very good. I enjoy eating waterfront at Bimini Boatyard and Southport Raw Bar...they have seafood and other things...at Southport I like the burgers, and at Bimini I like the Diane Salad. Duffy's Sports Bar has tasty food.

Would you need to make reservations for any of these restaurants? We may have 2-3 couples in our party.

Would you need to make reservations for any of these restaurants? We may have 2-3 couples in our party.

It's always wise to make reservations in Ft Lauderdale, especially in the winter season. Market 17, Coco, and Bimini Boatyard do take reservations.

My niece and I are going on the Oasis 8/22/15. Coming down on 8/21. I'm reading so many reviews on hotels to stay at. I would like to know where would me the best place to stay. Thanks for the help.

Most cruisers like Embassy Suites. Hyatt Place is a block away, and most people get great rates there on Value Trips. Both hotels include breakfast and have pools. There are lots of places to eat in the area, as well as a few stores. You can get on the SunTrolley to go to the beach or Galleria Mall and back for a few bucks.

We're taking a shuttle from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport, probably arrive Sunday 11am. Our flight isn't until 8pm. Can we leave our luggage at the airport and go into Lauderdale for a few hours? What's the best way to get to town from the airport and back again?

Thanks,

Tony