Billed in euro or dollars?

S&DMOM

Does anyone know if my credit card will be be billed in Euro or USD for cruises in europe? I usually add my credit card to my onboard account when I board- Will the cruise line bill me in Euro or dollars for my onboard expenses?

Does anyone know if my credit card will be be billed in Euro or USD for cruises in europe? I usually add my credit card to my onboard account when I board- Will the cruise line bill me in Euro or dollars for my onboard expenses?

dollars

You will be billed in dollars, however if you are not from the US, read the forms at check in carefully before you sign them because I think Celebrity offers to "help" you by converting the bill to your native currency....but at their exchange rate, not the official rate. You want to be billed in US Dollars.

U.S. Dollars. And of course they will dig a little deeper into your pocket with the good old V.A.T. on your purchases.:(

Are you sure? Never had vat added to onboard purchases through I once read sailing out of Barcelona attracted some extra costs, but all my North Europe and Med cruises there is no onboard VAT

Now once you get on land that's different however the price you see is the price you pay, unlike in the US where it's the ex tax prices you see

In some countries, if you spend enough, you also get the vat back if you are a non EU resident

You will be billed in dollars, however if you are not from the US, read the forms at check in carefully before you sign them because I think Celebrity offers to "help" you by converting the bill to your native currency....but at their exchange rate, not the official rate. You want to be billed in US Dollars.

Exactly. In your native currency is not USD, make sure you are using a good card (zero loading/fees if poss) for foreign (USD) transactions and have the card company do the conversion.

This is normally an option on your pre-boarding docs.

Are you sure? Never had vat added to onboard purchases through I once read sailing out of Barcelona attracted some extra costs, but all my North Europe and Med cruises there is no onboard VAT

VAT can apply if your ship does not call outside the EU and departs from some EU countries.

I've heard of it on some sailings from Barcelona

Edited by helpthejuggler

VAT can apply if your ship does not call outside the EU and departs from some EU countries.

I've heard of it on some sailings from Barcelona

Spanish waters are the problem.

I remember reading that there is an extra 3% on top of the usual 15% on bar bills, so if you are doing a Med cruise, expect 3% extra to be added, but only when you are in Spanish waters.

However the currency of the ship is US dollars, so I always have the credit company convert ( specify which C.C you are using on your Xpress pass) I use a Post Office one, who charge 0% for foreign currency conversion.