Is anyone concerned about the current events in the Ukraine?

lori450

Cruisemom42 said it better than anyone possibly could:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42409509&postcount=8

It reminds me about a group of people on these forums, who were to visit Ukraine and who discussed and shared information about how, during the visit, they could encounter Russians only (15 % of the population), how if you needed some help, you'd better look for a Russian person, how to hire only Russian guides, and so on. And if someone told them that it was racist, they said that they were above politics and were just coming to have "a nice time" (nice time, avoiding 85 % of the local population).

So, I am at a loss here - is St Petersburg going to be "destroyed" during a "civil war"?

It reminds me about a group of people on these forums, who were to visit Ukraine and who discussed and shared information about how, during the visit, they could encounter Russians only (15 % of the population), how if you needed some help, you'd better look for a Russian person, how to hire only Russian guides, and so on. And if someone told them that it was racist, they said that they were above politics and were just coming to have "a nice time" (nice time, avoiding 85 % of the local population).

So, I am at a loss here - is St Petersburg going to be "destroyed" during a "civil war"?

I don't think there is any question about SPB being destroyed by a civil war. Not sure where that comes from.

The issue here is there going to be sanctions that make it hard or impossible to visit Russia? Is there going to be possible negative reactions from locals on the streets towards Westerners visiting Russia? I think that is what is the concern here.

If such possible danger existed, the cruise lines will stop visiting Russian ports very quickly.

I have no idea what you are saying in the first part of your post. :confused:

If you are referring to my post in your last statement, I was talking about travel in general, and if you don't think monuments or cities get destroyed in civil wars, look at Syria's current situation. For that matter, my own city was totally destroyed (burned to the ground) during the US civil war in the 1860s....

I would not be concerned about going to St. Petersburg, in fact we have visited there 4 times and have another visit planned for May 2015.

The cruise industry wants you to visit there. The City of St. Petersburg has built a new cruise port and rebuilt most of the palaces , churches and other tourist attractions. The Russian people have always been friendly to us and many rely on tourism. The guides are all professional and most visitors extoll the virtues of their guide as being the best guide in St. Petersburg. The vast majority of visitors would rate their time in St. Petersburg as the high point of their Baltic Cruise.

My biggest concern is a forced boycott by the U.S. government as a possible economic sanction against the Russian government. This would only negatively impact the American visitor and the Russian people but - not the leadership. An example would be the forced boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics . Only the athletes , visitors and people putting on the games were punished and it didn't cause the USSR to leave Afghanistan. And the ongoing embargo of Cuba hasn't caused political change either but only punishes people - both visitors and residents.