Have you sailed Cape Liberty to Bermuda in August?

RN7997

Hello,

I am booked August 9th to sail Explorer for 5 nights from Cape Liberty to Bermuda. Im excited to see Bermuda!!! I have been chatting in other thread on here about this cruise and I understand like anything else it can be smooth as glass or have 40ft swells (that is scary to me as I dont think I have ever encountered that). We were on Oasis and had really rough seas and missed a port but that ship is MUCH bigger then this. It was pretty bad I had to sit in the hot tub to try to not get sick. I couldn't imagine if I had been on a smaller ship.

I just wanted to do sort of a survey really for those of you that have sailed this ship, to and from these ports early August?? Smooth or rough???

With only 1 port and 1 1/2 days at sea to get there in the open Atlantic so far offshore I find myself critiquing this a bit more then I do with Caribbean sailings.

Was on Explorer August of 2012 (Bayonne) and Grandeur end of July/early August 2013 (Baltimore) to Bermuda and the seas were calm both times for the most part with some rough seas returning for a day with both. Virtually impossible to predict as the seas will vary with the weather which is always an uncertainty.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I sailed one year very end of July into August. Rough and stormy going out. They closed outside deck access because of the wind on the way down. First day in Bermuda, sideways rain until about 1pm then it cleared and fine for the rest of the trip.

My favorite time for Bermuda is mid May to late June. As you get into July-Sept there is more chance of storms.

YMMV

. It was pretty bad I had to sit in the hot tub to try to not get sick. I couldn't imagine if I had been on a smaller ship.

I just wanted to do sort of a survey really for those of you that have sailed this ship, to and from these ports early August?? Smooth or rough??? .

We did a Bermuda from NY on the very small Celebrity Zenith (actually had to leave from Baltimore because of 9/11 and NY harbor was shut down).. First night and full day out was very rough. 30 foot + waves and very high winds. The rest of the cruise was pretty good and for the most part smooth sailing.

There was no way anyone could be in a hot tub during the turmoil since the water didn't seem to want stay in the pools or the tubs..LOL.

bosco

Not on the EOS but I sailed on The Summit which is a smaller ship the last week of August two times and the seas were smooth as glass. :)

Same here. Last week of August on the Summit last year, and it was beautiful sailing.

We did a Bermuda from NY on the very small Celebrity Zenith (actually had to leave from Baltimore because of 9/11 and NY harbor was shut down).. First night and full day out was very rough. 30 foot + waves and very high winds. The rest of the cruise was pretty good and for the most part smooth sailing.

There was no way anyone could be in a hot tub during the turmoil since the water didn't seem to want stay in the pools or the tubs..LOL.

bosco

We were on that sailing and the waves were not 30ft.+ . Was on the Grandeur in Feb. when the seas WERE 30 ft.+.....no comparison to the Zenith cruise.;):)

OP, there is really no way to predict what the seas will be like. They can change from week to week, day to day, even hour to hour. Lost count but we've sailed to Bermuda at least 12 times and every sailing was different. I will say that it has been smooth more times than rough and most of our cruises were in Oct., what they say is the height of hurricane season.:eek::D

We've been to Bermuda many times and had various conditions as well, but mostly smooth. The ships were all smaller than Explorer, last year we were on her to Bermuda but it was in May, and smooth.

Once on Horizon (much smaller ship, end of August) there were 3 hurricanes in the Atlantic, with one predicted to hit Bermuda, but it veered off the last minute. It was the smoothest cruise ever, go figure.

Our worst cruise was in Feb on NCL Dawn (smaller than ExoS), to FL and Bahamas. Even an employee in the shop said it was the worst, and she was green. I had to buy earplugs because of all the creaking and almost fell out of bed.

But that was one out of many cruises out of NY, and it was Feb. Chances are, it will be fine. Don't worry... Have fun.

We were on that sailing and the waves were not 30ft.+ . Was on the Grandeur in Feb. when the seas WERE 30 ft.+.....no comparison to the Zenith cruise.;):)

This was our first cruise. Our butler (Zenobio [sp]) was the one who described the conditions. He was picking up everything in our suite that hadn't been tied down when we hit the storm (?).

I do remember, as I am sure you do also, the FUN we had on the following morning getting down to and at the muster drill on the open promenade deck. I think there may have been a trail of barf bags in the wake that day. It seemed like everyone was paying a lot of attention at that one for sure..LOL

Its effect on us as newbies? Well we are looking forward to our 17 cruise and have never given the experience a second thought.

bosco

This was our first cruise. Our butler (Zenobio [sp]) was the one who described the conditions. He was picking up everything in our suite that hadn't been tied down when we hit the storm (?).

I do remember, as I am sure you do also, the FUN we had on the following morning getting down to and at the muster drill on the open promenade deck. I think there may have been a trail of barf bags in the wake that day. It seemed like everyone was paying a lot of attention at that one for sure..LOL

Its effect on us as newbies? Well we are looking forward to our 17 cruise and have never given the experience a second thought.

bosco

Yes, it was our first cruise as well. :)

Hate to get OT but the Cruise Director told me he took a "little something" to chill out a bit.:D After that Grandeur cruise, I think I can handle anything.