New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Here's a link to the deck plans for Koningsdam:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlans.action?ship=ko&deck=m&deep=0

As I suspected, the Promenade deck is almost non-existent. It doesn't look nearly wide enough for more than a few lounge chairs, let alone those who like to walk in groups to pass each other :(.

I just tried to book a room for our family on the new MS KONINGSDAM and on this NEW, LARGER Holland America ship there were NO wheelchair accessible cabins for our family of 3.

My husband and I have a darling daughter in a wheelchair. We have traveled all over the world together on Holland America ships, most recently we all traveled on the Eurodam to the Baltic.

I am very upset by the fact that Holland America has chosen to design a new larger ship that eliminates any regular cabin that would accommodate a family of 3 and be wheelchair accessible. In my mind this action is extremely discriminatory against the disabled and I am going to tell all our friends, family, and community about this outrage.

As I asked on the other thread - have you actually been told by a Holland America respresentative that your daughter cannot be accommodated? If not, I suggest you contact them before you continue to tell everyone of this "discrimination".

Check out V5054, Verandah, wheelchair accessible with bed and rollout couch plus roll in shower. Looks much bigger than normal verandah. Also V5052, 55, and 57. Find it odd that any cruise ship would not provide these types of rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that has been mentioned here but thanks for pointing it out to us.

It's good they have single cabins but they put them in about the worst possible location where they had space they really couldn't use for much else very far forward. Won't make for a very comfortable ride.

Location aside, the pricing on the single cabins seems favorable. If I did the dummy booking right - and not sure here, correct me if I am wrong - the single cabin for the 12 day Feb 27, 2016 is a lot less than the usual 100% surcharge.. Most cruises charge a 100% surcharge lately, so the initial pricing for singles on the new build is good. The pricing for one person in an aft OV cat F is also less than 100% surcharge.

Also, the only other ship in the fleet with single cabins, Prinsendam, charges more than double occ for the single cabins - no deal there.

• 3 weeks later...
Kind of hard to watch the TV from the couch, don't you think?:eek::rolleyes:

I agree with you about the TV being placed over the couch or so far away from couch in some rooms on the Koningsdam - it doesn't make sense to me either.

No matter what people say about 'you're not in the room much' I don't agree with that. It is not true for everyone. You are in your room enough time to want to relax in private and catch up on the news or a movie or to get a break from all the people.

Very odd placement to me. Maybe you can watch TV better than it appears in the pictures. I am hoping so anyway.

Location aside, the pricing on the single cabins seems favorable. If I did the dummy booking right - and not sure here, correct me if I am wrong - the single cabin for the 12 day Feb 27, 2016 is a lot less than the usual 100% surcharge.. Most cruises charge a 100% surcharge lately, so the initial pricing for singles on the new build is good. The pricing for one person in an aft OV cat F is also less than 100% surcharge.

Also, the only other ship in the fleet with single cabins, Prinsendam, charges more than double occ for the single cabins - no deal there.

To me, the point is location is too important to put aside.

I understand you get what you pay for but what they are offering for singles is awful, IMO. I am sure others disagree but that is not a location I could book.

I don't care if the cabin is small, I don't care if it has a tiny closet, I don't care if the bathroom is cramped but I do care if the ride is tolerable, the noise is not extreme, the anchor chain vibration and rumble won't toss me out of bed in the morning :D and the like.

It's a vacation, it is discretionary spending, it is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. If not, why go?

For those who CAN put location aside, great.

Edited by sail7seas

To me, the point is location is too important to put aside.

I understand you get what you pay for but what they are offering for singles is awful, IMO. I am sure others disagree but that is not a location I could book.

I don't care if the cabin is small, I don't care if it has a tiny closet, I don't care if the bathroom is cramped but I do care if the ride is tolerable, the noise is not extreme, the anchor chain vibration and rumble won't toss me out of bed in the morning :D and the like.

It's a vacation, it is discretionary spending, it is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. If not, why go?

For those who CAN put location aside, great.

And we all have our own opinions and you have made it explicitly clear you would never book one... and not just because it's in a less than optimal location but also because it's not a suite... So unlike when there were posts being made over and over and over and over about the sideboard in Westerdam's Neptune Suite and that COULD hypothetically impact you if you booked on that ship, these in no way impact your life for a variety of reasons.

So can we please stop beating this dead horse (or at least leave the beating to those that may actually consider it and don't like it and feel it is wrong and terrible and an afront to them as a potential HAL guest)? Thank you.

Oh... almost forgot.

IMHO

Edited by InTheWASide

Check out V5054, Verandah, wheelchair accessible with bed and rollout couch plus roll in shower. Looks much bigger than normal verandah. Also V5052, 55, and 57. Find it odd that any cruise ship would not provide these types of rooms.
Why do you think there's a roll-out couch? There's no circle on them indicating a triple, and the class description says:

VERANDAH STATEROOMS

VS V VC VD

Verandah: 2 lower beds convertible to 1 queensize

bed, shower, sitting area, private verandah,

floor-to-ceiling windows.

Approximately 228–420 sq. ft. including verandah.

Ok, I guess I'm confused. Why should a single cabin have a surcharge? The price should be the price. If not, why not book the double occupancy and have more room?

And we all have our own opinions and you have made it explicitly clear you would never book one... and not just because it's in a less than optimal location but also because it's not a suite... So unlike when there were posts being made over and over and over and over about the sideboard in Westerdam's Neptune Suite and that COULD hypothetically impact you if you booked on that ship, these in no way impact your life for a variety of reasons.

So can we please stop beating this dead horse (or at least leave the beating to those that may actually consider it and don't like it and feel it is wrong and terrible and an afront to them as a potential HAL guest)? Thank you.

Oh... almost forgot.

IMHO

Kindly bring forward a quote where I said I would not book the solo cabin because it is not a Suite. I have no memory of saying that and if I have forgotten and you care to say those words, kindly link the quote. Thank you.

As to expressing my opinion, by now many here know I have lots of opinions. :) We all have them and some of us express ours often. :D I'm not sure that violates any rules here.

I had no problem with Neptune Suite on Westerdam. I had a large problem with Neptune Lounge when it was substandard. I would happily book a solo cabin (and I suspect there are other solos like me) if it was in something of a comfortable and pleasant location. I think it's great HAL thought to insert some into Koningsdam. It's a shame they didn't do it well. IMO..... ( I don't think if often make it IMHO. )

Edited by sail7seas

Kindly bring forward a quote where I said I would not book the solo cabin because it is not a Suite. I have no memory of saying that and if I have forgotten and you care to say those words, kindly link the quote. Thank you.

As to expressing my opinion, by now many here know I have lots of opinions. :) We all have them and some of us express ours often. :D I'm not sure that violates any rules here.

I had no problem with Neptune Suite on Westerdam. I had a large problem with Neptune Lounge when it was substandard. I would happily book a solo cabin (and I suspect there are other solos like me) if it was in something of a comfortable and pleasant location. I think it's great HAL thought to insert some into Koningsdam. It's a shame they didn't do it well. IMO..... ( I don't think if often make it IMHO. )

What's wrong with cuddling up next to an anchor chain? I remember being on the previous Nieuw Amsterdam on I believe C deck all the way forward and waking up very early one morning thinking that the anchor chain was coming through my ceiling.

Was very happy that we were only anchoring once on the cruise. Also, never got used to the pitching "booms" when the bow would hit the water.

There are several "unmarked" staff inside cabins on deck 7 on the Vista ships. Wondering why they couldn't use some of that type for singles.

Edited by frankc98376

I know I've seen this comment more than once. ;)

This is fully out of context. When my DH was still alive, that comment was true. He is now gone. I would not have been booking a solo cabin if cruising with my DH. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

What's wrong with cuddling up next to an anchor chain? I remember being on the previous Nieuw Amsterdam on I believe C deck all the way forward and waking up very early one morning thinking that the anchor chain was coming through my ceiling.

Was very happy that we were only anchoring once on the cruise. Also, never got used to the pitching "booms" when the bow would hit the water.

There are several "unmarked" staff inside cabins on deck 7 on the Vista ships. Wondering why they couldn't use some of that type for singles.

It seems to me, in my not so humble opinion, :D. HAL has taken space hardly useable for anything else and tossed in some solo cabins. Revenue is the goal, of course, while comfort and enjoyment would not be the highest priority for those in the solo cabins.

IMO ....

This is fully out of context. When my DH was still alive, that comment was true. He is now gone. I would not have been booking a solo cabin if cruising with my DH. ;)

My humblest apologies. I took "we" to mean both of you like to be near the Neptune Lounge and both of you feel the 'ride is better'. I did not realize that "we" meant only your DH had that opinion. I did not know that you were forced into a type of cabin and location you did not want. You have my sympathy. Obviously when sailing as part of a couple, one would not be booking a single cabin. :rolleyes:

However, when we see posts wanting a single supplement around the lines of 10% we'd be booking (connecting) single cabins in a heartbeat. Twice the space and two bathrooms for only 10% more? We'd have a living room and a separate bedroom. Yep, if the new builds offered those in a decent location we'd be interested.

Edited by Mary Ellen

My humblest apologies. I took "we" to mean both of you like to be near the Neptune Lounge and both of you feel the 'ride is better'. I did not realize that "we" meant only your DH had that opinion. I did not know that you were forced into a type of cabin and location you did not want. You have my sympathy. Obviously when sailing as part of a couple, one would not be booking a single cabin. :rolleyes:

However, when we see posts wanting a single supplement around the lines of 10% we'd be booking (connecting) single cabins in a heartbeat. Twice the space and two bathrooms for only 10% more? We'd have a living room and a separate bedroom. Yep, if the new builds offered those in a decent location we'd be interested.

I am not forced into anything and that is my point. I will continue to sail the Neptune Suites as I won't consider those solo cabins. I don't think HAL did any solo a favor in putting them where they did. IF they had been better located (more to my personal taste), I most certainly would have considered looking into one. Do you like them and where they are as solo cabin?

I don't understand your reference to 10%. Two hundred percent is high, of course, but it likely will be worth it to me as I will sail less now. It all balances out.

NOW you can quote me that I won't book one of those solo cabins but not because I would only book a Neptune. I would not book a Koningsdam solo in that location.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't understand your reference to 10%. Two hundred percent is high, of course, but it likely will be worth it to me as I will sail less now. It all balances out.

There are actually other posters on the CC. :rolleyes: some of those 'other posters' have lamented the "high" single supplement. They have wanted a lower supplement and suggested 10% as a figure.

I've never heard of a 200% single supplement. As a supplement is in addition to the base price, that would mean a single would be paying 300% of what each person in a double cabin would pay. :eek:

When the time comes that either of us would be cruising alone, I don't foresee the single supplement having a financial impact in the quantity of cruising that one would do. If the two of us would pay $10,000 for a cruise, the remaining one would also be able to pay the same amount. The one still cruising wouldn't have also lost half of our assets. The desire to cruise as a single will probably have an impact, but not the single supplement.

There are actually other posters on the CC. :rolleyes: some of those 'other posters' have lamented the "high" single supplement. They have wanted a lower supplement and suggested 10% as a figure.

I've never heard of a 200% single supplement. As a supplement is in addition to the base price, that would mean a single would be paying 300% of what each person in a double cabin would pay. :eek:

When the time comes that either of us would be cruising alone, I don't foresee the single supplement having a financial impact in the quantity of cruising that one would do. If the two of us would pay $10,000 for a cruise, the remaining one would also be able to pay the same amount. The one still cruising wouldn't have also lost half of our assets. The desire to cruise as a single will probably have an impact, but not the single supplement.

Exactly.

If one has sailed a Neptune Suite over 80+ cruises, it fairly safe to assume they are blessed to be able to continue to do so. :)

Whether you are a single or not, you surely have an opinion about that solo cabin HAL has chosen to offer. Do you like it? I didn't ask if you were booking it but wonder if you Would book it? I am interested how many posters here, whether solo or not, would consider booking those cabins. What is the general opinion about the choice HAL has added to accommodate their solo cruisers.

Edited by sail7seas

<snip>

Would I stay in that cabin? hmmm this isn't a ship I would sail now but as a solo, my whole tune could change and yes, if it meant the difference between cruising or not as a solo, you would find me in that cabin:)[/size]

That is where we vary. I would not sail in a cabin that was loud, rocky, location not to my taste, vibration and rough ride..........

Not worth it to me.

Thankfully, I don't have to. :)

...Now....... back to my displeasure about the solo cabins. Can we discuss what others think about those cabins on Koningsdam? I'd like to read their opinions...

I am disappointed that they are placed in such an undesirable location. I sometimes sail solo, and will likely not consider one of these cabins. I am a light sleeper, so it wouldn't be worth any savings over a double-berth cabin to me.

Well, thankfully (:rolleyes:) HAL only put in a few of these cabins.....and I venture to guess they will be booked up quite early. Already quite a few of them are taken for the voyages on Koningsdam that are available to be booked -- including one I've reserved.

We do not yet know if these cabins will ride well or not (being closer to the water line is another factor that influences this, not only whether the cabin is fore, mid, or aft), or whether there will be any noise or vibrations associated with them.

Frankly, I think it is a step in the right direction and I applaud HAL for offering them.

Well, thankfully (:rolleyes:) HAL only put in a few of these cabins.....and I venture to guess they will be booked up quite early. Already quite a few of them are taken for the voyages on Koningsdam that are available to be booked -- including one I've reserved.

I remember the lamenting about the lanai cabins, and the cabanas.... and how it seems to be quite popular. Not with everyone, but that's life. :)

I'm wondering about the main showroom stage pretty much above and between the single cabins. I'm thinking..."5,6,7,8..."

but most rooms on deck 1's forward half of the Vista/Signature Class ships are below not adjacent to the show lounge but below the Piano Bar and Queen's Lounge (BB King's)... so really if those aren't an issue and are seldom "lamented" about... why should the shortcomings of a small number of rooms on this ship be any different?

But if you give them an optimal location and all these other bells and whistles then they become a more premium, optimal category and even without the full supplement could still be priced out of a more reasonable solo traveler budget...

IMHO, they are not mutually exclusive. It would have given solos more options if HAL had placed a few solos in less desirable areas for those sailing on a tight budget, and also placed some solos in better areas of the ship for those able or willing to spend a bit more.

As I mentioned in another post, I once sailed solo on the old SS Independence, built in 1951. She had dedicated solo cabins in both first and third class (not sure about second), before she was converted to a one-class ship. So this is not a new idea.