New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Survived isn't exactly what I hope for when I cruise. While it is a given we'd all like to survive our cruises, I aim for a bit more than that. :)

To be fair, the poster is talking about sailing through a pretty strong and destructive hurricane.

Why can't cruise lines do what hotels do. The price is based on double occupancy whether there is one or two or even 3 or four. It's like when airlines quoted the price for one way but you couldn't fly one way. Most airlines have changed that now. When a cruise lines says what it cost per person it isn't really, because one person does not get that price unless there are two people.

Survived isn't exactly what I hope for when I cruise. While it is a given we'd all like to survive our cruises, I aim for a bit more than that. :)

I'm with Sail. I've been in lower forward cabins and it doesn't take a storm to generate the "booms" from the bow crashing down- just some swell in the ocean-northbound on Pacific Coast is notorious for pitching seas.

When I pay for a vacation I don't expect to have just an "average" time. Our vacation time is limited and precious to us. We book suites because we like the service, the extra room, and of course the perks.

Any vacation that we just "survive" will never be repeated. Any time we are happy that a cruise ends will be the last time on that line.

Edited by frankc98376

Why can't cruise lines do what hotels do. The price is based on double occupancy whether there is one or two or even 3 or four. It's like when airlines quoted the price for one way but you couldn't fly one way. Most airlines have changed that now. When a cruise lines says what it cost per person it isn't really, because one person does not get that price unless there are two people.

Not all hotels price rooms this way. Many hotels in Europe offer "single occupancy" rooms (at a lesser cost) and some even offer a special rate for single occupancy of a double room. In general, this latter pricing seems to parallel what ships sometimes offer for a solo -- in other words, it may be 150% or 175% rather than the full double rate of 200%.

As I noted in an earlier post, however, the single rooms are often very small and have undesirable views such as facing a fire escape or light shaft (although some folks prize quiet more than a view). It's no exaggeration to say that I have stayed in single hotel rooms in Barcelona, London and Paris where I could literally touch the walls on both sides with my arms extended.

Edited by cruisemom42

I'm with Sail. I've been in lower forward cabins and it doesn't take a storm to generate the "booms" from the bow crashing down- just some swell in the ocean-northbound on Pacific Coast is notorious for pitching seas.

When I pay for a vacation I don't expect to have just an "average" time. Our vacation time is limited and precious to us. We book suites because we like the service, the extra room, and of course the perks.

Any vacation that we just "survive" will never be repeated. Any time we are happy that a cruise ends will be the last time on that line.

With all due respect, it doesn't sound to me like you are the target audience for these solo cabins?

For years, folks have clamored for a budget-friendly alternative for solo cruisers who would like to cruise more often but can't afford (or don't want to pay) the full 200% for single occupancy of a double cabin.

It looks like HAL is trying to offer a reasonable alternative. I'm willing to bet they can find 12 souls per voyage for whom these rooms are a good fit. For cruisers who want a premium cabin location, it seems somewhat logical that HAL would still ask a premium price -- and there are plenty of options here. What there are not plenty of is solo cabins. And again, I welcome the thought that HAL is at least willing to try out the concept.

I can tell you that the small ship line I regularly sail with has a couple of deluxe solo cabins with balcony -- and they are often some of the last cabins to sell due to the cost.

For years, folks have clamored for a budget-friendly alternative for solo cruisers who would like to cruise more often but can't afford (or don't want to pay) the full 200% for single occupancy of a double cabin.

It looks like HAL is trying to offer a reasonable alternative. I'm willing to bet they can find 12 souls per voyage for whom these rooms are a good fit. For cruisers who want a premium cabin location, it seems somewhat logical that HAL would still ask a premium price -- and there are plenty of options here. What there are not plenty of is solo cabins. And again, I welcome the thought that HAL is at least willing to try out the concept.

Very well said - let's have an open mind about these cabins. Their price point does fill a need for budget-minded solos.

With all due respect, it doesn't sound to me like you are the target audience for these solo cabins?

I can tell you that the small ship line I regularly sail with has a couple of deluxe solo cabins with balcony -- and they are often some of the last cabins to sell due to the cost.

I agree. You have made your point so nicely, I admire your tact and diplomacy.

Those single rooms are ideal for those who travel for the destinations and not so much the ship, I think.

Not all hotels price rooms this way. Many hotels in Europe offer "single occupancy" rooms (at a lesser cost) and some even offer a special rate for single occupancy of a double room. In general, this latter pricing seems to parallel what ships sometimes offer for a solo -- in other words, it may be 150% or 175% rather than the full double rate of 200%.

As I noted in an earlier post, however, the single rooms are often very small and have undesirable views such as facing a fire escape or light shaft (although some folks prize quiet more than a view). It's no exaggeration to say that I have stayed in single hotel rooms in Barcelona, London and Paris where I could literally touch the walls on both sides with my arms extended.

So true! I once did a tour of Scotland with a stop in a hotel each night, single occupancy for both my friend and I. Our rooms were probably the worst in the hotels, the size of a broom closet in some instances. But heck, it was just a bed for the night, and on to the next place.

I heard a rumor that the new ship is going to stay in Europe and not do trans-A. I hope that's not the case, because that would be my preferred cruise. I've always wanted to take one.

When we were on the NA for the TA last April to Venice where we had dinner with one of the senior officers and were discussing the new ship and its possible itineraries.

The one issue that the officer was adamant about was that the new ship would / could not do the TA's and when asked why he explained it had to do with the engines that were being used (?) and that it would be based in Europe.

It made no sense to me at the time nor now and wish I had paid closer attention. ( perhaps the wines and the dinner were far more important at the time ... noting that he did not touch a drop as he was to be on the bridge later that evening!)

I must send him an email and ask if he can explain that all to me again!!

I for one would be upset as we have followed both the Eurodam & NA being built and cruised both inaugural TA crossings from Port Everglades.

I am looking forward with great anticipation once they release the next Koningsdam itineraries.

I also have a close friend now who is a future cruise consultant and will ask her :-)

Happy New Year to all my cruise critic friends from the land down under and may you all be blessed with smooth seas this year!

Cristiano

When we were on the NA for the TA last April to Venice where we had dinner with one of the senior officers and were discussing the new ship and its possible itineraries.

The one issue that the officer was adamant about was that the new ship would / could not do the TA's and when asked why he explained it had to do with the engines that were being used (?) and that it would be based in Europe.

It made no sense to me at the time nor now and wish I had paid closer attention. ( perhaps the wines and the dinner were far more important at the time ... noting that he did not touch a drop as he was to be on the bridge later that evening!)

I must send him an email and ask if he can explain that all to me again!!

I for one would be upset as we have followed both the Eurodam & NA being built and cruised both inaugural TA crossings from Port Everglades.

I am looking forward with great anticipation once they release the next Koningsdam itineraries.

I also have a close friend now who is a future cruise consultant and will ask her :-)

Happy New Year to all my cruise critic friends from the land down under and may you all be blessed with smooth seas this year!

Cristiano

I sure hope they got a good deal on those engines:D. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would hal want to limit where a ship can be used? The would be extremely poor planning in my mind.

What would you suggest? It's pretty hard to show reluctance when you need to get from A to B, and there are no options. My question is serious as you obviously know the industry.
That's the issue. I'm not going to sit at home. That said, there were some good cruise prices for cruises for this holiday season. The prices of course for airfare were stupid. I refuse to pay that.
The last sentence there is the key. The way that airlines set prices depends on the behaviour of the market as a whole, not on the choices made by specific individuals. If a specific individual really needs to travel, they're obviously going to have to pay whatever is being charged, even if it's ruinous. Overall pricing is set more by people who have a choice and whose reluctance to travel at a high price results in them choosing not to travel.

At the risk of over-simplifying: In markets with lower prices (whether because of poorer local economic conditions or higher levels of competition), an airline that sets its fares at too high a level will find that too many people refuse to pay them (either choosing to stay at home or buying a ticket from someone else). If Calgary is a market where the prices are higher, it will be because the market as a whole keeps paying the higher prices instead of choosing to stay at home or finding an acceptable cheaper alternative. The higher prices aren't charged because the airlines hold an outdated view of Calgary as a rich oil town.

The last sentence there is the key. The way that airlines set prices depends on the behaviour of the market as a whole, not on the choices made by specific individuals. If a specific individual really needs to travel, they're obviously going to have to pay whatever is being charged, even if it's ruinous. Overall pricing is set more by people who have a choice and whose reluctance to travel at a high price results in them choosing not to travel.

At the risk of over-simplifying: In markets with lower prices (whether because of poorer local economic conditions or higher levels of competition), an airline that sets its fares at too high a level will find that too many people refuse to pay them (either choosing to stay at home or buying a ticket from someone else). If Calgary is a market where the prices are higher, it will be because the market as a whole keeps paying the higher prices instead of choosing to stay at home or finding an acceptable cheaper alternative. The higher prices aren't charged because the airlines hold an outdated view of Calgary as a rich oil town.

Thanks for responding. That basically confirmed what I thought - the only choice available in order to show reluctance is to not travel at all, and stay home. Not really an option at all.

That basically confirmed what I thought - the only choice available in order to show reluctance is to not travel at all, and stay home. Not really an option at all.
It's not an option if you must travel.

But there are plenty of people for whom travel, or travel by air, is optional. These people have more influence in the level of fares charged in a market than those who must travel whatever the price.

• 3 months later...

Bummer. I just got off the phone with HAL, asking when the Caribbean goes on sale. Since the Koningsdam is committed to Europe until October of 2016 when she transits over to the Caribbean, they most likely won't have that itinerary available until they release our 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas, which will be this fall, most likely in September or October. :mad:

Bummer. I just got off the phone with HAL, asking when the Caribbean goes on sale. Since the Koningsdam is committed to Europe until October of 2016 when she transits over to the Caribbean, they most likely won't have that itinerary available until they release our 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas, which will be this fall, most likely in September or October. :mad:

Koningsdam's itinerary through March 2017 is available on her website. Caribbean 2016-17 booking for her opens in a week or two.