New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

I've read two now and since "you are always right :) , I will not report. Funny stuff..really funny

No need to respond if you don't wish, Freestyling, but I noticed you are a relatively new poster here and wonder how you recall the 'step' conversations? That goes back to summer of 2008.

Just a curiosity on my part. :)

Edited by sail7seas

It is SO funny you would say that. :)

That is the first thing I thought of when searching for Live From threads from that cruise. :D That discussion popped up from time to time literally for years.

And they never fixed it on E'dam ... OR on the Nieuw A! :eek:

I know there was a big problem with getting settled at a fixed dining table, but I don't recall all the details. The arrangements had not been made, and they were finally set at a "make do" status that didn't work out well.

I tend to forget the details of things as time passes and I let it go, so I'll let the others who were there answer your question more fully.

We had a fix table for dinner, the crew didnot know where our table was. We were sent upstairs, downstairs, upstairs again and yes our table was downstairs. Extreme long lines for people that had free style dinner. Waiting sometimes over 1 hour to get a table.

Wine steward didnot return our shipcard, it took a while before the maitre d" found him in his cabin.

Oceanbar and other places closed some nights for passengers, private VIP party etc.

Just a few things we remember.

Edited by Ine

I used to think I would stay away from the Pinnacle Class--and my first cruise on a Vista Class ship (the Zuiderdam) tended to reinforce this. Nothing terrible, just a lack of "wow" factor.

But then I took my first cruise on the Eurodam and I was very favourably impressed--even in comparison with my recent cruise on the Amsterdam (SA category for both cruises).

So now I am rather of the view that I will give the Konigsdam a try, and look forward to being as impressed with her as I was with the Eurodam.

The press release says the 12 single rooms are on multiple decks in multiple locations but the deck plan shows them all in the bow area of Main deck. I'm guessing the deck plan is correct.

I suppose they could have found a less desirable location but I'm not sure where. :D

It's an area where the shape of the bow would have made it otherwise not useable for rooms. For single rooms though they are fine. Even all the way forward being low isn't too bad. High and forward is where it can get trickier if there's significant movement. Of course for someone that is used to midship Neptune Suites I'm amazed to see the jump to be so critical about location when for years there has been a desire for HAL to offer single rooms at all, anywhere, on any ship

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

It's an area where the shape of the bow would have made it otherwise not useable for rooms. For single rooms though they are fine. Even all the way forward being low isn't too bad. High and forward is where it can get trickier if there's significant movement. Of course for someone that is used to midship Neptune Suites I'm amazed to see the jump to be so critical about location when for years there has been a desire for HAL to offer single rooms at all, anywhere, on any ship

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Forums

In all fairness, I have never stayed in a forward cabin either, but that does not prevent me from knowing that they are not in a desirable location. The showrooms on HAL ships are low and forward but the motion can be very unpleasant there at times. Why would you think it would be different in a low forward cabin? There are some things in life that you just know would be unpleasant without experiencing them and forward cabins are one of them.

Just because single travellers have been asking for dedicated cabins doesn't mean they are so eager for them that they are willing to be treated as though the cruise line considers them to be steerage passengers.

In all fairness, I have never stayed in a forward cabin either, but that does not prevent me from knowing that they are not in a desirable location. The showrooms on HAL ships are low and forward but the motion can be very unpleasant there at times. Why would you think it would be different in a low forward cabin? There are some things in life that you just know would be unpleasant without experiencing them and forward cabins are one of them.

Just because single travellers have been asking for dedicated cabins doesn't mean they are so eager for them that they are willing to be treated as though the cruise line considers them to be steerage passengers.

I remember being in a couple of forward low deck cabins in our early cruising days. When in even moderately heavy seas the "booms" from the bow crashing down was VERY loud and didn't make for good sleep. Then in rough seas it was the huge boom then then a violent shudder. Ah, the good old days :)

I remember being in a couple of forward low deck cabins in our early cruising days. When in even moderately heavy seas the "booms" from the bow crashing down was VERY loud and didn't make for good sleep. Then in rough seas it was the huge boom then then a violent shudder. Ah, the good old days :)

Back when we started cruising...about 600 years ago it seems...we sailed on Sitmar's Fair Princess and were in a cabin near the bow. Minor amounts of movement was not the issue; it was the sound of the anchor dropping. The noise from the chain made it seem like it was in our bathroom.

These days the huge sizes of the ships and the highly sophisticated stabilization systems make undesirable lateral/vertical motion a thing of the past.

Back when we started cruising...about 600 years ago it seems...we sailed on Sitmar's Fair Princess and were in a cabin near the bow. Minor amounts of movement was not the issue; it was the sound of the anchor dropping. The noise from the chain made it seem like it was in our bathroom.

These days the huge sizes of the ships and the highly sophisticated stabilization systems make undesirable lateral/vertical motion a thing of the past.

I had totally forgotten about that. I jumped up out of my bed once- I thought the anchor was coming through our cabin :D

Lateral motion may by damp the rolling, but if the sea is trying to roll you and the stabilizer is trying something different you will get a completely different motion and sometime that bouncing of the whole structure is worse than the roll. It can still make you comfortable.

Vertical motion is impossible to stop... even a little bit. Stablizers do nothing to damp pitching.

Stephen