Thoughts Please?

GatorGirl57

My DH and I will be 28 when we cruise Alaska in Summer 2015. We are trying to decide between HAL and Princess. The reason we are considering only these two lines is we want to go to Glacier Bay.

I am leaning towards HAL for two reasons - the cruise is 7 days instead of 8, which means my DH will not have to take more than a week off of work. Also, I like that the glacier days are split apart (Glacier Bay at one end and Inside Passage on another). Princess has two glacier days in a row and that is it.

I know you all know what I am about to ask...and I would like to apologize up front...but are we too young? Are we going to look out of place?

This will be our 9th cruise, all the others were on Carnival, RCCL, and one Disney. I can't even remember the last time DH and I stayed up past midnight, even on a cruise. We like to do activities in the evenings, but most of all we just love to be on our balcony.

We have mostly sailed the ships we have because we live 20 minutes from Port Canaveral, not because we have a huge affinity for Carnival.

So, what do you think? Would HAL work for us, or should we go with Princess?

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it.

Our DDs and their Fiances at the time went on a HAL cruise with us a few years ago, they were 25 and 26 at the time. They all had a great time and found people close to their age to hang with when they weren't with us.

The next year our oldest DD and her DH went on a Carnival cruise for their honeymoon. She and her DH were 27 then. When they returned home we asked them about their cruise. They both answered..."It was good, but it wasn't HAL."

I think you will do just fine.

Edited by K&RCurt

Here is a quote from Frommers....

For years, HAL was known for catering to an almost exclusively older crowd, with most passengers in their 70s on up. Today, following intense efforts to attract younger passengers, about 25% of the line's guests are under age 55 (with the average age being 57), with a few young families peppering the mix, especially in summers and during holiday weeks. While the average age skews a bit lower on the newer Signature-class and Vista-class ships, HAL just isn't Carnival or Disney, and its older ships especially were designed with older folks in mind. On cruises longer than a week, there's no shortage of canes, walkers, and wheelchairs.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/trip_ideas/cruise/mainstreamlines/hollandamericaline/hollandamericaline.html#ixzz2zow6k1Dq

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like you have already made up your mind considering your reasons for choosing HAL. Alaska is pretty port heavy. So the ship itself will act as a moving hotel, not a daytime resort for the most part. Another thing in your favor is that this is a summer cruise of only 7 days. Those do attract more families. So you will see more middle age couples..perhaps with their kids and maybe grandparents along. But again, unless you are looking for 'young" entertainment and later nights, you will be ok on HAL.

That being said.... if the itinerary was acceptable, I would definitely rec Princess for my 28 year old daughter over HAL. The atmosphere would be more her style. She isn't a drinker and doesn't stay up late. But Princess just has a younger appeal. More of a middle of the road age group. Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) HAL's reputation doesn't attract the 20's and 30's crowd. There IS a difference in demographic. We actually don't see that however as a plus or minus since we cruise more for itinerary.

Please don't flame me, HAL folks. Just offering my opinion to the op's question. :D

Edited by eandj

For that length of time on the ship, you won't be out of place.

You get 2 weeks or more during school year, well that is a different story on any cruise line.

In the fall of '12 we saved up our PTO and did the 30 day South Pacific Cruise on the Westerdam, couting ourselves there were less than 25 people under the age of 50. We had a great time even though everyone was at least 1.5x our age. The ship was quiet after 9.30, luckily there was a good DVD selection.

Enjoy the cruise!

Derek

Here is a quote from Frommers....

For years, HAL was known for catering to an almost exclusively older crowd, with most passengers in their 70s on up. Today, following intense efforts to attract younger passengers, about 25% of the line's guests are under age 55 (with the average age being 57), with a few young families peppering the mix, especially in summers and during holiday weeks. While the average age skews a bit lower on the newer Signature-class and Vista-class ships, HAL just isn't Carnival or Disney, and its older ships especially were designed with older folks in mind. On cruises longer than a week, there's no shortage of canes, walkers, and wheelchairs.

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/trip_ideas/cruise/mainstreamlines/hollandamericaline/hollandamericaline.html#ixzz2zow6k1Dq Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I feel like from all of your posts it appears that, "sadly," you really do not want to go on that fabulous Amsterdam cruise you are scheduled for. Any vacation is what you make of it. I fear that all of your preconceived notions about cruising HAL will ruin your cruise before you ever step on the ship.

I feel like from all of your posts it appears that, "sadly," you really do not want to go on that fabulous Amsterdam cruise you are scheduled for. Any vacation is what you make of it. I fear that all of your preconceived notions about cruising HAL will ruin your cruise before you ever step on the ship.

hahaha I wish his family would take me....I can't imagine anything more wonderful....

My DH and I will be 28 when we cruise Alaska in Summer 2015. We are trying to decide between HAL and Princess. The reason we are considering only these two lines is we want to go to Glacier Bay.

I am leaning towards HAL for two reasons - the cruise is 7 days instead of 8, which means my DH will not have to take more than a week off of work. Also, I like that the glacier days are split apart (Glacier Bay at one end and Inside Passage on another). Princess has two glacier days in a row and that is it.

I know you all know what I am about to ask...and I would like to apologize up front...but are we too young? Are we going to look out of place?

This will be our 9th cruise, all the others were on Carnival, RCCL, and one Disney. I can't even remember the last time DH and I stayed up past midnight, even on a cruise. We like to do activities in the evenings, but most of all we just love to be on our balcony.

We have mostly sailed the ships we have because we live 20 minutes from Port Canaveral, not because we have a huge affinity for Carnival.

So, what do you think? Would HAL work for us, or should we go with Princess?

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it.

my thoughts on the topic of age-ism [i am 55, FWIW] What are YOUR expectations? Are you able to entertain yourself or do you require someone to entertain you? Can you walk from place to place and decide what/when you want to eat, what kind of music you like, what book you want to read, or what room you want to go into?

Are you afraid of being in an isolated environment with your spouse or do you enjoy each other's company? Can you go off by yourself for a few hours if you want to do something other than what your spouse chooses to do? Its not like your choice is getting into a dumpster vs getting on a well maintained beautiful vessel.You can read the amenities of both ships.

I don't understand the concerns about age. No one is going to ask you to push their WC or do CPR on them [tho I hope everyone knows how!].

Would you ask if there are too many White people or Asians, or Mexicans or Blacks on your ship?

If you require companions, then travel with companions or join a group that will insure that you are surrounded by "like" people. You might get on a ship loaded with "your age" people and find they are all A-holes....but you might sit beside a well educated, well traveled person of a certain age and end up filled with awe of what your life can be. It will be what you make it.

Sorry about the soap box. I really hope you enjoy your cruise. I am really hopeful that I will meet many people like those on this forum....and to be honest, I'm really hoping I don't meet some of them!!!

my thoughts on the topic of age-ism [i am 55, FWIW] What are YOUR expectations? Are you able to entertain yourself or do you require someone to entertain you? Can you walk from place to place and decide what/when you want to eat, what kind of music you like, what book you want to read, or what room you want to go into?

Are you afraid of being in an isolated environment with your spouse or do you enjoy each other's company? Can you go off by yourself for a few hours if you want to do something other than what your spouse chooses to do? Its not like your choice is getting into a dumpster vs getting on a well maintained beautiful vessel.You can read the amenities of both ships.

I don't understand the concerns about age. No one is going to ask you to push their WC or do CPR on them [tho I hope everyone knows how!].

Would you ask if there are too many White people or Asians, or Mexicans or Blacks on your ship?

If you require companions, then travel with companions or join a group that will insure that you are surrounded by "like" people. You might get on a ship loaded with "your age" people and find they are all A-holes....but you might sit beside a well educated, well traveled person of a certain age and end up filled with awe of what your life can be. It will be what you make it.

Sorry about the soap box. I really hope you enjoy your cruise. I am really hopeful that I will meet many people like those on this forum....and to be honest, I'm really hoping I don't meet some of them!!!

I ask because "ageism" works in reverse. If all the older people on the ship are bother by our presence, that could be uncomfortable for us. I am not trying to upset anyone, but just see what people think. I do not care the age of my fellow passengers, and my DH and I tend to not interact with others while on a cruise. We will likely choose anytime dining as well.

Also, is there at least one way to get food on the ship at any time? Or does all the food shut down?

I was 29 on my first HAL cruise and knew I was in the right place within a few hours of boarding.

Thanks - this is quite helpful. I feel that we will really like the cruise, but I am unsure based on what others have said.

You'll be fine. The cruise you're planning is only one week, in the summertime and in Alaska. All of those factors are perfect for people who are still working and can bring their children. You will find that there will be people of all ages on your cruise.

But, as someone already said, you should be somewhat self entertaining on HAL.

You are more likely to find the more elderly passengers on cruises longer than 2 weeks because they have more time to do so. Most of us who are still working do not necessarily have the ability (financial or otherwise) to take long vacations.

Also, I believe that I have read on prior threads that the demographics on Princess are actually fairly similar to those on HAL. I would make my choice of cruise lines on other amenities, if the itinerary and port times were equal.

Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy your cruise. Be warned, Alaska may call you back. I'm about to go for the fourth time (in 23 days - can you tell I'm excited?!!!:D)

GatorGirl,

If a week works for you and you want to see glaciers book the cruise! We've been on 4 7-day HAL Alaska cruises since 2010, we are on booked in September and one in May 2015. We are 58 and 56 and I believe we hit right in the middle of the demographic on this cruise. You'll just help to lower it a bit. The cruise is about the destination and the scenery, not about the passsengers. Don't worry about them! What I have found that even though we are both "nightowls" that on a Alaska cruise we are up with the sun--and it comes up at 4am! Kidding just a bit, but a 6am breakfast is normal for us because we don't want to miss a bit of what can be seen.

A word of warning and another poster metioned it. There are not two "glacier" days on the cruise. You spend a day in Glacier Bay but when crusing the Insdie Passage you'll not see glaciers but you will see the most beautiful (IMO) country on the planet!

GatorGirl,

If a week works for you and you want to see glaciers book the cruise! We've been on 4 7-day HAL Alaska cruises since 2010, we are on booked in September and one in May 2015. We are 58 and 56 and I believe we hit right in the middle of the demographic on this cruise. You'll just help to lower it a bit. The cruise is about the destination and the scenery, not about the passsengers. Don't worry about them! What I have found that even though we are both "nightowls" that on a Alaska cruise we are up with the sun--and it comes up at 4am! Kidding just a bit, but a 6am breakfast is normal for us because we don't want to miss a bit of what can be seen.

A word of warning and another poster metioned it. There are not two "glacier" days on the cruise. You spend a day in Glacier Bay but when crusing the Insdie Passage you'll not see glaciers but you will see the most beautiful (IMO) country on the planet!

Thanks for the info - yes, I saw another poster mention that - what is the inside passage then? The Princess cruise does the Hubbard glacier, I wonder which I would like better?

Which side is better for Alaska - port or starboard?

On a round-trip from Seattle or Vancouver I think both sides are equal, because you'll be on the "land" side either going up or back.

On a one-way cruise, I usually choose the "land" side (starboard going north; port going south).

But there's beautiful scenery 90+% of the time, and much of your time will be spent on the outdoor decks.

Just my 2¢.

I say "don't worry about it". There will be a mix of ages, and really, the Alaska cruises are much more about Alaska than anything else.

Re: the Inside Passage -- that is the waterway you travel.

Where would you embark?

I'm not sure yet if we would do southbound or northbound. But, either Anchorage or Vancouver.

I knew it was the waterway - but what is on either side of the boat? Or is there not anything?

Thanks for the info - yes, I saw another poster mention that - what is the inside passage then? The Princess cruise does the Hubbard glacier, I wonder which I would like better?

Inside passage is the general term for the waterway in between all of the islands. If you leave from Vancouver, you usually travel between Vancouver Island and the mainland. IMO, this is particularly scenic because you are so close to land on both sides of the ship. If you leave from Seattle, you usually travel west of Vancouver Island in the open ocean.

The Seattle cruises are still labeled as Inside Passage cruises because once you get close to Ketchikan, you are cruising the Alaska Inside Passge. Inside Passage also includes Juneau, Skagway and Glacier Bay.

I can't answer your question about Hubbard Glacier as I haven't seen it yet. However, from my readings here on CC, you will have a better chance of seeing glaciers in Glacier Bay where there are many glaciers. Hubbard Glacier is one glacier, and sometimes you can't see or get close to it due to ice or fog. If glaciers are really important to you, I would opt for Glacier Bay.

As for which side of the ship, that will depend on your itinerary. If going one way, northbound, I would choose starboard, and port if going southbound. That way you are on the side facing land when land is in view. If it's a round trip itinerary, I don't think it will matter. Alaska is more about the scenery (and wildlife) that you will want to be out on open decks to be able to see all around you. If you have a balcony, do venture out from the balcony so you are not limited to only one side for viewing the scenery.

You should also check out the Alaska forum for further information, if you haven't already. There is tons of info there, and lots of people willing to help you with your questions.

*snip* Are you able to entertain yourself or do you require someone to entertain you? Can you walk from place to place and decide what/when you want to eat, what kind of music you like, what book you want to read, or what room you want to go into? *snip*

I used to be able to do all those things, then I got married. Now I have to ask what flavor ice cream I want!:D:D:D

*snip* Are you able to entertain yourself or do you require someone to entertain you? Can you walk from place to place and decide what/when you want to eat, what kind of music you like, what book you want to read, or what room you want to go into? *snip*

I used to be able to do all those things, then I got married. Now I have to ask what flavor ice cream I want!:D:D:D

And I got tired of all that and am divorced again....squeee:D

From my experience being younger than average on a HAL cruise offers you the chance to mix with fascinating people with wonderful stories to share. We also found that for want of a better word you get a better "class" of younger passenger if you do want to mix with those your own age. I think this is because HAL outdated reputation as the older persons cruise line means the youngsters that book with HAL are of the more tolerant, intelligent, easy going variety.