Seasick... no dairy. What to do?

Grenouille21

We have been on one cruise, and there was some definite motion feeling going on, and possible motion sickness (there was champagne the night before, and it is possible this was merely a hangover ;)). But even before the champagne was popped, there was an "Oh my, we are really MOVING" feeling, and I do get green on smaller boats.

I wore Seabands, but still felt quite green. The ginger gum seemed to help more. So yes, there will be ginger gum on the next cruise.

But are there dairy-free pill alternatives? Bonine and Dramamine have dairy in them, which was quite a surprise when I was in CVS pre-cruise since no one on any cruise board had mentioned this before. I react badly to dairy, so cannot have Bonine or Dramamine (or any generic or non-drowsy version).

Any alternatives?

If you are that allergic to the amount of lactose monohydrate, or whatever is in the Bonine pills, you might want to talk to your doctor about your options, before you cruise. If you get sick on the ship, most likely you will be given some form of Bonine or Dramamine. Better to go prepared with your own medications.

see if any Canadians are on your roll call and if they will bring you some Gravol ginger caplets

you could also look for ginger pills that are lactose free

green apples work for some people

You should check with your doctor to see if you could "try" Non-drowsy Dramamine well in advance of your cruise. I get EXTREMELY motion sick and it works great for me. I have a friend who has a severe dairy allergy, but she tolerated this medication well. Her doctor had her try 1/2 of a tablet 2 days in a row and 1 full tablet the following day. She did just fine. You may want to see what your doctor suggests. I have tried the patches and feel horrible on them - almost the same feeling as being motion sick.

I have always been travel sick so went to the doctor and he gave me the patches. what a revelation and so easy. put one on day before you go and each patch lasts three days. It goes behind the ear and about the size of a 10p piece. 5 cruises down; two about to happen and two more booked so you can tell they have worked.

I buys herbs from Puritan's Pride for over 2 decades. Below is the link to the ingredients.

http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/ginger-root-550-mg-005147?scid=6829

If you call their 800 number and ask to confirm there is no dairy in those capsules, or ask on Facebook - they will let you know.

I start ginger 2-3 days before the cruise, through the cruise, and 2-3 days after. When the waves get bigger, take more ginger.

We have been on one cruise, and there was some definite motion feeling going on, and possible motion sickness (there was champagne the night before, and it is possible this was merely a hangover ;)). But even before the champagne was popped, there was an "Oh my, we are really MOVING" feeling, and I do get green on smaller boats.

I wore Seabands, but still felt quite green. The ginger gum seemed to help more. So yes, there will be ginger gum on the next cruise.

But are there dairy-free pill alternatives? Bonine and Dramamine have dairy in them, which was quite a surprise when I was in CVS pre-cruise since no one on any cruise board had mentioned this before. I react badly to dairy, so cannot have Bonine or Dramamine (or any generic or non-drowsy version).

Any alternatives?

Scopolamine patches are placed behind an ear, can last 72 hours. MD prescription required. Everything has some side effects. Scopolamine may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. If you experience dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, avoid these activities. Additionally one needs to know, to be very careful when handling the patch to avoid getting the medication on fingers and possibly getting in eye, it will cause blurred vision with pupil dilation. Will make your mouth dry.Ginger tea or even chewing on some ginger can be helpful and in preventing nausea in the right people as Dayenu stated.

:) Try to find a cabin in the middle of the ship where movement is least felt. Sailing with larger ships decreases the likelihood of feeling much movement too. :)

Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while using scopolamine.

We hated the patches --a lot of side effects. Too bad ....we use Boninine

Green apples and pretzels work well(aside from tasting great, that is the reason you always see pretzel rolls and green apples on the buffet ) we find the pretzels work great

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app