Disappointment in Caribbean Princess 4/19-4/26

Tullabelle

Regarding repetitive foods -- we saw potatoes again and again in the MDR, in different forms, almost every night of the cruise. There were meals where there was a potato appetizer and then a potato entree on the same menu -- except one didn't know there were potatoes in both until one ordered it! I ordered "cream of tomato soup" and "potato gnocchi" at one meal, and it turned out the "cream" in the tomato soup was potato puree, and the gnocchi had tomato sauce on it, so I really ended up with tomatoes and potatoes in two different forms -- one liquid, one solid -- at the same meal! Both options were not particularly palatable. Potatoes seemed to accompany every entree. Even Italian night had several potato options (one was mashed potatoes!), though potatoes don't ordinarily form a large part of Italian cuisine.

With some notable exceptions, we found that the dishes in the MDR looked better on the menu than they tasted, often being either too salty, or, ironically, quite bland, even tasteless, and often with textures that were not ideal. We did not lose weight on this cruise! However, due to the many glowing reviews of Princess food we had read on these boards for years, we had expected the food to be a little better than we found it to be.

And yes, one may order something else if one is not happy with one's first choice. But this takes a lot of extra time, and puts one's fellow diners in a position to wait interminably, as the waiters never served any course until all at the table were finished with the previous one.

I'm sure there were several others that enjoyed the cruise...... I merely pointed out my opinion only to be blasted by almost everyone on this board. I agree prices have come down but I did not pay $299 for this cruise. Frankly I am tired of being flamed on this board so please refrain from posting and allow this thread to disappear.

I agree with your comments. But your wasting your time on this board. If you critisize Princess you will be flamed. A lot of these posters think they gave birth to the cruise lines. The quality that there using today is not as good as it use to be and they all know that. It's just that there happy with it cause they want the prices to stay low and a lot of them like tp pretend its great. Deep down they know most of the food sucks today. More like chain restaurants and that's where most of them eat cause they don't want to spend more money. And it's no different on any mass market cruise line. People just like to think that there on the best line. I myself now cruise Oceana but it's a small ship and when I do the mass market I try to eat in the specialty restaurants as much as possible.

And yes, one may order something else if one is not happy with one's first choice. But this takes a lot of extra time, and puts one's fellow diners in a position to wait interminably, as the waiters never served any course until all at the table were finished with the previous one.

Or order something different when you order the first time. You do not have to take the entree with its listed potato or vegetable options. If you see options with other entrees that you would prefer with your entree, just request when you place your order.

I had to wait until I was actually on my laptop to quote your post, as it would have been to onerous to do it on an iPad, but I have to tell you that, although we have a lot of Princess days, and do enjoy Princess more than HAL (in general), I agree with several things you said...

I feel your pain. If I have learned anything on CC, I have learned that if I were to post a negative review about Princess on the Princess forum, I would be setting myself up as a target. Princess fans are very loyal. :eek:

Yep, some of them are. But there are many on these board, some of who are ironically far more traveled than the cheerleaders, who will admit to Princess's strengths AND weaknesses, and their's are the posts I most anticipate.

I did not think the dining room or buffet food was disgusting, but I was not very impressed by it. We, like you, had issues especially with (but not limited to) the beef, which, with one exception (a decent New York strip), we found either tough and grisly or tender but tasteless.

I find very few people who think beef, even in the Crown Grille, is a Princess strong point. We're always a bit more surprised than not to find a good Princess steak, and downright shocked to find it cooked to our requested temperature.

Seafood, however, I think Princess does exceptionally well, and definitely better than HAL or Celebrity.

We were not fond of the cramped feeling of the dining room and the proximity of every table to the service areas where waiters noisily rattled glasses and silverware and scraped half-eaten food off plates into heaps, in full view of diners.

I quite agree here, too, but didn't find HAL that much of an improvement. Celebrity seems to handle the table-clearing part of the dining experience better; RC is even worse.

We disliked the circus atmosphere of the Piazza, where a good deal of entertainment and activity took place and, for us, disturbed the peace of this beautiful space, rendering it unappealing. We thought the theater felt small and cramped.

Could not agree more about the use of the Piazza for buskerfest-type entertainment and loud bands. If anything drives us away from Princess, this will be it.

We found the layout of the ship to be chopped up and confusing, with too many expanses of public space with little exposure to the sea.

This is the only thing you say that I must take exception with. The only ships I've been on where I feel less connected to the sea than on HAL are the large RC ships. I think Princess does a great job with this. Sure, HAL has the gorgeous promenades, but can you even see the ocean from an HAL atrium?

We were not thrilled to have to pay extra for a mini-suite on Princess in order to get a sofa/loveseat, a piece of furniture we had found standard in the regular balcony cabins on all of the three cruise lines we had sailed with before. Princess' standard balconies include only a desk chair and an arm chair! My husband and I like to sit together on the sofa while cruising. (Again, I was aware of this issue when I booked, but it is a negative.)

Yep, Princess has crappy, small cabins, though they are crappy, small cabins with excellent storage. We had far more storage space in an inside on the Emerald Princess than a balcony on the Nieuw Amsterdam. HAL also wins for the balconies, balcony furniture and bathrooms.

Oh, and I agree about the shrunken robes, too (but am tiring of quoting and replying point by point).

So, I read your post and thought, "She's right there. And there. And on that point, too", and I have to ask myself why we keep returning to Princess again and again. Part of it is what we get comfortable with. I can tell you that our first few Princess cruises, after many on Celebrity, did NOT feel comfortable and we weren't thrilled, but early on we did two transpacific cruises on Princess that were much better. I guess, in retrospect, I'm glad that we were willing to take month long cruises on a cruise line we weren't thrilled with just for the itinerary. And, in the end, it worked out brilliantly.

Part of what makes Princess so desirable for us now has nothing to do with the cruise experience, and everything to do with their combinable OBCs. Many of us on CC are getting sizable amounts of OBCs that simply aren't attainable on other cruise lines, and I think that any sub-excellent cruise aspects are overweighed by that.

Yeah, here's someone [the OP, not you, Skai. I'm just quoting you to follow up on what you said.] who apparently thinks Lean Cuisines are good . . . well, let's just say that I'm not going to be putting much stock in their opinions about the food, as it's obvious we don't share the same tastes.

Exactly what I was thinking! I think Lean Cuisines are disgusting. I too cook most my meals at home. The thing I did not like about the CB cruise I took last Nov was the food in the MDR was WAY too salty. The food in the buffets were great and not recycled. Yes, at times Horizon was closed, but Caribe was open! Walk to the next door, problem solved.

Pizza was very good. Burgers and sausages were also very good. I LOVED the IC. Only thing was my cabin on Riviera was far from it, as I only took the stairs. :p

Besides salty MDR food, only other negatives I had on CB was Anytime Dining was always a mess, and our less than stellar stateroom attendant. Oh and fog on the way back but not Princess' fault. Only bc of the fog risk I wouldn't sail out of Houston again.

Besides salty MDR food, only other negatives I had on CB was Anytime Dining was always a mess, and our less than stellar stateroom attendant. Oh and fog on the way back but not Princess' fault. Only bc of the fog risk I wouldn't sail out of Houston again.

Princess has some accountability to do regarding the fog... I have lived in the Houston area for 45 years and have sailed Galveston bay extensively. Princess moved from the Galveston Port to the Houston/Bayport location because the City of Houston gave Princess a large financial incentive to do so. The Houston/Bayport site had been unused since construction in 2008 except for a short stint after a hurricane. While the Galveston port suffers from fog also the distance to open water is much shorter and the channel there is easier to navigate. From Bayport a ship has to travel 29 miles to the open Gulf in a very narrow channel which is ok if one does not have to perform a quick turn around on a given schedule. Princess has a contract with the City but I wonder if they will continue sailing out of Bayport considering the problems they have had this past year.

Like CPJ said above I may get flamed for criticizing Princess but I am ready:

FE.jpg.28b4e3a3c83bea26c1d33f5c3c860d31.jpg

Part of what makes Princess so desirable for us now has nothing to do with the cruise experience, and everything to do with their combinable OBCs. Many of us on CC are getting sizable amounts of OBCs that simply aren't attainable on other cruise lines, and I think that any sub-excellent cruise aspects are overweighed by that.

How do you get those sizable OBCs?

How do you get those sizable OBCs?

On a 14-night cruise, $250 for owning 100 shares of CCL stock, $250 for military (DH), $200 for using FCC and booking a balcony cabin and $100 for Captains Circle Loyalty OBC (52+ past Princess cruises)= $800 OBC, a not-insignificant amount. All combinable, and when you add a TA OBC, it can be upwards of $1000. Some couples who are both prior military get that OBC doubled. And here's the thing...except for the FCC OBC and the Captains Circle Loyalty OBC, every one of these is available to a first time Princess cruiser.

People talk about the value of the Elite benefits, but, to me, the only really valuable one is the internet credit, and that's given after 5 Princess cruises. It's really hard to beat the value of a Princess cruise, especially since they do many things very well, and not too many poorly.

We disliked the circus atmosphere of the Piazza, where a good deal of entertainment and activity took place and, for us, disturbed the peace of this beautiful space, rendering it unappealing.

Could not agree more about the use of the Piazza for buskerfest-type entertainment and loud bands. If anything drives us away from Princess, this will be it.

While on the Royal I heard couples complaining about the loud music on the Piazza, particularly at dinner times between 6 and 9 pm. It was difficult to carry a conversation while dining at Alfredo's one floor up.

You can get OBC a few ways

Sometimes Princess or your TA offers OBC as a perk

If your a stockholder

loyalty based on how many cruises

Military

And referral

Note sure I covered all but this should help.

On a 14-night cruise, $250 for owning 100 shares of CCL stock, $250 for military (DH), $200 for using FCC and booking a balcony cabin and $100 for Captains Circle Loyalty OBC (52+ past Princess cruises)= $800 OBC, a not-insignificant amount. All combinable, and when you add a TA OBC, it can be upwards of $1000. Some couples who are both prior military get that OBC doubled. And here's the thing...except for the FCC OBC and the Captains Circle Loyalty OBC, every one of these is available to a first time Princess cruiser.

People talk about the value of the Elite benefits, but, to me, the only really valuable one is the internet credit, and that's given after 5 Princess cruises. It's really hard to beat the value of a Princess cruise, especially since they do many things very well, and not too many poorly.

Thanks for your feedback. Those are nice credits indeed. I forgot that even at just Platinum level I am already getting the Captains Circle Loyalty OBC of $100.

Thanks for your feedback. Those are nice credits indeed. I forgot that even at just Platinum level I am already getting the Captains Circle Loyalty OBC of $100.

We just turned platinum and I don't remember getting any OBC. Is this automatic or do you have to apply for it?

We just turned platinum and I don't remember getting any OBC. Is this automatic or do you have to apply for it?

I think I confused what Pescado Amarillo mentioned with the Launch Savings program for early bookings. I noticed that if I checked prices without signing in I would get a higher price than if I signed in first and this is due to the item below (cut and pasted from the Princess website). It is not an OBC, it is a discount for early booking.

Launch Savings/Reduced Deposit

Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle Members who book early can enjoy an additional savings of up to $100 per person off their cruise fare (for the first 2 passengers in the stateroom). Launch amount varies by ship itinerary, stateroom category and cruise length. This discount can be combined with Launch Fares, group rates, regional promotions and other past passenger discounts. Not combinable with New Booking only promotions. Some restrictions apply. Promotion Code PA1.

While on the Royal I heard couples complaining about the loud music on the Piazza, particularly at dinner times between 6 and 9 pm. It was difficult to carry a conversation while dining at Alfredo's one floor up.

If you think the Piazza is loud on Princess, then you probably won't like Celebrity. They tend to have a band in their Atrium on S class ships during the same time frame that is significantly louder and more facilities that tie directly into the Atrium on those ships.

If you think the Piazza is loud on Princess, then you probably won't like Celebrity. They tend to have a band in their Atrium on S class ships during the same time frame that is significantly louder and more facilities that tie directly into the Atrium on those ships.

They had a parade on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas down their interior "mall" which was so loud I had to leave. However I couldn't completely escape it even in our balcony cabin several decks above the parade...BOOM, BOOM, BOOM until about 10:30 PM!!! :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I guess is luck of the draw depending on the band and the cruise. During the early part of my March trip on the Royal it was not too bad but during the last three nights they had a group called Party Band Goodtimes Inc. that played at ear piercing levels. On my cruises in the Grand class of ships the music was much more toned down and 10 years ago they just had piano and classical quartets. Seems like those days are gone...

They had a parade on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas down their interior "mall" which was so loud I had to leave. However I couldn't completely escape it even in our balcony cabin several decks above the parade...BOOM, BOOM, BOOM until about 10:30 PM!!! :eek:

WOW, I would not like that...

Rarely have I seen a negative review of the CB. Sailed the ship twice and would not hesitate to do it again.

Sorry you disliked your cruise.

We have sailed twice on the CB and agree the ship is fine, but our cruise to nowhere out of Houston has convinced us to not attempt that port again. Ports of call are too important to try any cruise out of there again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

My one and only cruise on CB last year was also the worst Princess cruise I had taken, with most staff not their usual smiling self, food not quite up to par etc. BUT other people I know on the cruise thought it was all good.

I also had a not so great cruise on the Golden this spring, but all my other experiences with Princess were really enjoyable.

I think I confused what Pescado Amarillo mentioned with the Launch Savings program for early bookings. I noticed that if I checked prices without signing in I would get a higher price than if I signed in first and this is due to the item below (cut and pasted from the Princess website). It is not an OBC, it is a discount for early booking.

Launch Savings/Reduced Deposit

Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle Members who book early can enjoy an additional savings of up to $100 per person off their cruise fare (for the first 2 passengers in the stateroom). Launch amount varies by ship itinerary, stateroom category and cruise length. This discount can be combined with Launch Fares, group rates, regional promotions and other past passenger discounts. Not combinable with New Booking only promotions. Some restrictions apply. Promotion Code PA1.

Yes the loyalty credit of $100 is for 51+ cruises.

[quote name=PescadoAmarillo;.....

People talk about the value of the Elite benefits' date=' but, to me, the only really valuable one is the internet credit, and that's given after 5 Princess cruises. It's really hard to beat the value of a Princess cruise, especially since they do many things very well, and not too many poorly.[/quote]

Amen!

Norris

Happy Princess Cruiser

You can get OBC a few ways

Sometimes Princess or your TA offers OBC as a perk

If your a stockholder

loyalty based on how many cruises

Military

And referral

Note sure I covered all but this should help.

You can also get OBC from having used the Princess Visa card. This can range from $50 to $500 or more.