What I didn't know about "onboard credits"

chrismch

Since HAL just sent us the options to pre-book excursions, spa treatments and specialty dinners, we thought we'd go ahead and schedule them. However, just before we hit the paid button we thought we'd call HAL to see if we could get a promo code to pay with our onboard credits which are a few hundred.

Glad we did!

Discovered that "onboard" credits mean you can't use them until you are "onboard." If we wanted to pre-book anything, we would have to use our credit card. It would be immediately charged. It can't be credited back to us after we board from our credit. In addition, there would be no refund if we didn't end up taking the cruise. We don't buy cruise insurance.

So no pre-booking for us. We'll book when we board and add the remaining to a future cruise booking.

That has always been the rule for HAL. Anything you pre-purchase -- speciality restaurants, excursions, alcohol, etc., are all charged to your credit card right away. If you cancel your cruise (even without insurance), all pre-purchased items are refunded to your credit card.

No shipboard credit that you have been given from anyone will not be refunded to you.

Another "bonus" of pre-booking things is that you won't be running around the ship trying to book things as soon as your vacation starts (and running the chance that some are already booked up. For every $300 you spend onboard (including these pre-cruise purchases) you get 1 cruise day added to your Mariner number. These do add up and go towards you tally for Mariner status (1 through 5 stars).

By the time I board I don't want to stand in long lines to try to book MOST things. Thermal suite I will but most others I won't and would much prefer to have it pre-paid before I board. This way most of the OBC goes towards paying our HSC.

Whatever works for you. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by 1of4

Discovered that "onboard" credits mean you can't use them until you are "onboard." If we wanted to pre-book anything, we would have to use our credit card. It would be immediately charged. It can't be credited back to us after we board from our credit. In addition, there would be no refund if we didn't end up taking the cruise. We don't buy cruise insurance.

I don't believe the last part is accurate. If you pre-book (and pre-pay) for HAL shore excursions, specialty restaurant dinners, etc and then cancel the cruise booking, the cost of those pre-paid items DOES get refunded to you.

I don't believe the last part is accurate. If you pre-book (and pre-pay) for HAL shore excursions, specialty restaurant dinners, etc and then cancel the cruise booking, the cost of those pre-paid items DOES get refunded to you.

Yes, this occurred for us when we had to cancel a fall 2014 cruise on Prinsendam that we had already booked Pinnacle Grill reservations for to take advantage of the then $25 price (vs. the now $29 price). We received the refund to our credit card within a couple of days of canceling the cruise.

So long as it's not within a few days of embarkation, excursions pre-booked also are refunded as we have also done this. If you cancel on board, it is placed on your on board account.

Depending on the source of the OBC (for example, a TA promotion) any leftover OBC is refunded to your credit card or, if you wish, a check can be cut. This occurred with my in-laws on our recently finished Maasdam cruise.

No shipboard credit that you have been given from anyone will not be refunded to you.

Depending on the source of the OBC (for example, a TA promotion) any leftover OBC is refunded to your credit card or, if you wish, a check can be cut.

Also any OBC purchased as a gift by friends or yourself is refunded. Edited by jtl513

When we had to cancel a cruise, we had all pre-paid reservations etc refunded very quickly to our credit card.

If you choose to pre-book any excursions or dinners etc and pre-pay for them in advance of boarding (as is required), all of that spending does count on your Mariners bonus day totals.

When we had to cancel a cruise, we had all pre-paid reservations etc refunded very quickly to our credit card.

If you choose to pre-book any excursions or dinners etc and pre-pay for them in advance of boarding (as is required), all of that spending does count on your Mariners bonus day totals.

Excursions do count I think ..

Excursions do count I think ..

Yes' date=' as I noted, any pre-booked excursions count toward Mariner bonus days. :)

[/b']

My wife, Kathy and I will be on the cruise. We are considering a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg using the firm Red October. This company is highly rated on Trip Advisor. We are looking for another couple to share a car and driver for those 2 days. The charge would be $496 plus most people tip 15%. Charge for 2 person only was $1470 so adding others is certainly worthwhile.

We need to make these arrangements quickly, as they need 2 weeks to get our visa's etc. Let us know if you are interested.

My wife, Kathy and I will be on the cruise. We are considering a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg using the firm Red October. This company is highly rated on Trip Advisor. We are looking for another couple to share a car and driver for those 2 days. The charge would be $496 plus most people tip 15%. Charge for 2 person only was $1470 so adding others is certainly worthwhile.

We need to make these arrangements quickly, as they need 2 weeks to get our visa's etc. Let us know if you are interested.

As per board rules -- all private excursions must be arranged via your Roll Call.

You definitely get your money refunded if you cancel an excursion along with a canceled cruise. Perhaps not if canceled within 3 days of sailing but if you cancel outside of the penalty period, it's refunded. A last minute cancellation....not that's a question I have not seen before! Late cancels or onboard are refunded as ship credit so in that case it might be lost.

Hi,

You did not mention which ship you would be on. Here is a link to the roll call boards;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Just click on the ship you are going on and then scroll though till you find your sailing date. You can post our request there. You might also find others who have arranged tours and are looking for folks to share.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise..the baltics are beautiful!

Rochelle