LIVE - Royal Princess Transatlantic & Baltic day by day

GweninTX

I also should have said the reason I thought it was SO very silly to complain is the Kleenex/tissue holder is right by your elbow and if you can't reach the TP - use a Kleenex!

Thought you were only supposed to put TOILET TISSUE in the lavatories on board?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DEFINITELY! Anything but Princess t.p. is a big no-no. You could not only block your own toilet, but also that of other cabins. They use special toilet paper onboard that is less likely to cause blockages.

gwen, what a marvelous review !!! with mostly POSITIVE remarks :)

really looking forward to our TA next april 15 on regal !!;)

are there any guest lecturers on board ??

how many sessions of bingo each sea day ?

There are 2 lecturers, one is a female port/destination lecturer who so far is very good. The other male lecturer is more of a historian and the jury is still out on him IMHO.

One session of bingo at 11:00 AM each say so far!

GweninTX, We are sailing on the Royal in July and I am so happy to see that you are doing this "live from". It will be a nice preview of what is to come.

Can you please tell me which Specialty Dining restaurant they assigned you to for the 3 for one special and how soon after you boarded did they notify you of your reservation time? Thanks so much.

Thanks for doing a "live from". They keep me going until our next trip which will be the Ruby fall ta.

One of our neighbors is going on the next segment of your trip so it will be fun to see what he's experiencing through your eyes.

We sailed from Copenhagen on the Emerald TA in the fall of 2012, and we loved Copenhagen. If you have any interest in lovely gardens I highly recommend Tivoli Gardens.

Enjoy!

Do not miss Vigland Park in Oslo!

I also should have said the reason I thought it was SO very silly to complain is the Kleenex/tissue holder is right by your elbow and if you can't reach the TP - use a Kleenex!

Any resemblence between the facial tissue on Princess and Kleenex is purely coincidental.

What Princess supplies is very close in quality to the TP.

Any resemblence between the facial tissue on Princess and Kleenex is purely coincidental.

Both the tissue and the TP are about 1/4 ply. In fact, we had much better luck using the larger paper napkins from the pizza place on the Lido Deck as tissues than using what passes for tissues on Princess.

I know people like to think it's special marine-grade TP, but it's not. We asked and were told this by the Chief Engineer. It's just so thin that it is less likely to block the pipes.

True! I asked steward and he said the Kleenex/box tissues are fine in the toilet! Same company makes both, so we are fine and no chance of clogs or flooding!

GweninTX, We are sailing on the Royal in July and I am so happy to see that you are doing this "live from". It will be a nice preview of what is to come.

Can you please tell me which Specialty Dining restaurant they assigned you to for the 3 for one special and how soon after you boarded did they notify you of your reservation time? Thanks so much.

We knew immediately when we got to our room. There was a card that told us we had been assigned to the Crown Grill and the date. It was a day we were In Port till late. So I called and changed the date.

Hi GweninTX, enjoying your review and have a question regarding dining. If you are early seating for 6:00 pm which is really 5:45, can you tell me if late seating is earlier than 8:15 pm?

Thank-you for taking us along on your adventure.

HI all!

GweninTX ~ enjoying your review! Have you met Deb & Judy from the roll call yet? If so say "hi" from Jo please. They're enjoying the cruise too.

I did the reverse TA on Emerald Princess in 2008 & really liked Ponta Delgada, such a beautiful lush island.

Lucky you spotting a whale, that would be such a thrill!:D

~ Jo ~ :)

Just thought that if all the cruiselines ask you to ONLY put the toilet tissue in the toilets, that's what they meant

Because otherwise people would flush food in wrappers, adult diapers and spouses who had outlived their welcome on that particular day, and then those things would have to be picked out of the filter in the engine room by hand. But stuff that breaks down, so long as it doesn't block the pipes, really is ok. It's just easier, quicker and more understood to say nothing besides TP should be flushed.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

All I know is that when my DIL came with us on her only Princess cruise a few years ago, she started flushing baby wipes down the toilet and, of course, it blocked. She was requested in no uncertain terms to only flush the toilet paper provided. No mention made about being able to flush down the facial tissues. Think I will stick with TP to be on the safe side :)

Good morning followers!

We did not lose another hour last night which was wonderful! The skies are sunny and clear and the ship has hit some clear, smooth water again! The temperature at 8:00 is 72 degrees. Should be another warm day.

Breakfast in the HC again. The made to order omelets are wonderful. You choose what you want, they give you a ticket and you give it to your server. They bring it to you when it is ready. You can also give your coffee card to your server and they will bring you a latte right to your table. The coffee in the horizon court is brewed and very good! The formal dining room coffee is the same old syrup swill as on all the ships. I am puzzled as to why they can have brewed coffee in the buffet and not the dining rooms? The fruit has been really good too. I had some watermelon and pineapple that was excellent.

This morning you could play bridge, mahjong, shoot clay skeets, line dance, 3 different spa seminars to sell you stuff, pinochle, seminar on Russian diamonds, port talk on London/Southampton, volleyball tourney, bingo and Super Tuscan wine tasting at 11:00. We would have liked the wine tasting, but not at 11:00 - seemed like a really odd time. We watched yesterday's port lecture on the Azores on the wonderful TV in our room! We have been there on our last TA, but she did a great job and talked about all 8 islands, even though we are only stopping at Ponta Delgado. She was an excellent port lecturer.

We decided to go and sit in the hot tub before lunch. We found one that we could see MUTS from. The water temp was perfect and we had it all to ourselves - score! I have to comment on the screen - the picture is so much clearer than on all the other ships. We also could hear the audio clearly. The screen really is a step up! While we were in the tub they announced a medical emergency and asked for A positive or A negative blood if you had your blood donor card with you. Never heard anymore, so prayed they were OK!

We went to the main dining room for lunch and sat with 3 men from Australia and one man from Sweden. Food was not too good, but the company was great. I should have known better than to try tortilla soup - no seasoning. Fish was greasy, but my salad was great. Their honey mustard dressing is superb (thanks, Pam for recommending it!)

After lunch I went to the Vista lounge and watched a great movie, Rush. Jerry read on his iPad. There were plenty of activities. I love the dance lessons in the piazza. Fun to watch couples learning new things and the music is great! I saw the new $10 high tea at 3:30. It looked very nice and I am going to get a friend to go with me. Very fancy table settings and looked like nicer food than the free one. The afternoon also offered a blackjack tournament, art@sea presentation on the life of Thomas Kinkade, box making craft, riddle me this, tribond trivia, and various seminars to make Princess lots of cash!

Dinner in the formal dining room was excellent again. Our server, Bagdan gives us his recommendations each night and he is always right! We both had Crab cake

appetizer, I had turkey scaloppine with Gorgonzola cream sauce, Jerry had diver scallops and both had hot fudge brownie with ice cream for dessert.

We went to the Princess theatre and watched a really good pianist, Amy Abler, who called herself, Piano Divalicious. Afterwards we went up on deck 16 and watched the Watercolor Fantasy fountain/light show. This was the first one we went to and the theme was, Frank Sinatra. Very nice, but it was windy and a little chilly! Glad we saw it tonight!

We lose another hour tonight! Hope this is the last one for a while!

Stay tuned - for more tomorrow! We are the co-leaders of our Cruise Critic cabin crawl/poker run tomorrow afternoon. We have 80 signed up and I have a feeling it is going to be like "herding cats" - stay tuned!

All I know is that when my DIL came with us on her only Princess cruise a few years ago, she started flushing baby wipes down the toilet and, of course, it blocked. She was requested in no uncertain terms to only flush the toilet paper provided. No mention made about being able to flush down the facial tissues. Think I will stick with TP to be on the safe side :)

Baby wipes are not flushable in any toilet!! It says so right on the labels. They are extremely thick. We have 3 grand kids 4, 3, and 1. We are very familiar with baby wipes. :D

Cheers, Denise.

Good morning followers!

Breakfast in the HC again. The made to order omelets are wonderful. You choose what you want, they give you a ticket and you give it to your server. They bring it to you when it is ready. You can also give your coffee card to your server and they will bring you a latte right to your table. The coffee in the horizon court is brewed and very good! The formal dining room coffee is the same old syrup swill as on all the ships. I am puzzled as to why they can have brewed coffee in the buffet and not the dining rooms? The fruit has been really good too. I had some watermelon and pineapple that was excellent.

This morning you could play bridge, mahjong, shoot clay skeets, line dance, 3 different spa seminars to sell you stuff, pinochle, seminar on Russian diamonds, port talk on London/Southampton, volleyball tourney, bingo and Super Tuscan wine tasting at 11:00.

We went to the main dining room for lunch and sat with 3 men from Australia and one man from Sweden. Food was not too good, but the company was great. I should have known better than to try tortilla soup - no seasoning. Fish was greasy, but my salad was great. Their honey mustard dressing is superb (thanks, Pam for recommending it!)

We lose another hour tonight! Hope this is the last one for a while!

Stay tuned - for more tomorrow! We are the co-leaders of our Cruise Critic cabin crawl/poker run tomorrow afternoon. We have 80 signed up and I have a feeling it is going to be like "herding cats" - stay tuned!

Thanks for the update!

Interestingly I found the coffee (room service, dining room AND buffet) better than I've ever had on a cruise ship.

Were they REALLY shooting real clay skeets or was it virtual?

We haven't seen clay skeet shooting on ships in probably 40 years (I know, I'm dating myself! :p )

I'm enjoying reading about your trip.

Were they REALLY shooting real clay skeets or was it virtual?

We haven't seen clay skeet shooting on ships in probably 40 years (I know, I'm dating myself!

In October they had interactive activities on video screens by the basketball court area so that's most likely the "skeet" shooting area. ;)

Baby wipes are not flushable in any toilet!! It says so right on the labels. They are extremely thick. We have 3 grand kids 4, 3, and 1. We are very familiar with baby wipes. :D

Cheers, Denise.

You know that and I know that, but somehow my DIL did not. As you say, you only need to read the packaging. She has had the same trouble at home because she continues to flush them - thought she would have learned her lesson ;)

Gwen : I thoroughly enjoy following your posts. I will be on the Royal for the May 23 Baltic Cruise. I have a question on the Specialty dining. We, too, have the Three for Free promotion. Do we have a choice as to Crown Grill or Sabatini or does Princess pre select for you including the date and time. My TA told me to reserve whichever restaurant we want as soon as we board. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app