Important Advice for your First Cruise!!

meghan1317

First off, congratulations on going on your first cruise! You're going to have an amazing time! Cruising is a way of travel enjoyed by so many, so sit back and relax! If you do have some fears, I hope to calm them and give you some great advice to enjoy your first cruise!

Boarding the ship is very similar to boarding an airplane, security wise. All passengers are sent through a metal detector and all bags are x-rayed. Passports and ID's are checked. Every time you get back on board, you will go through a similar process (your ID and "Cruise Card" will be checked and bags will be scanned). A big item cruise ships are looking for is alcohol.

The amount of alcohol allowed onto the boat varies by cruise line, so check ahead of time! Alcohol will probably be quite expensive on board, so plan ahead if you plan on drinking. If you do bring more than allowed, the ship will store it for you and you can collect your items at the end of the cruise :D.

Being at sea, you might experience seasickness. If you think you will get sick, head to your drug store and pick up something to help. There are a few ways to prevent seasickness. Some popular ways are patches, pressure point bands, or pills. Ginger pills are good for an upset stomach. If you don't bring anything on board, the shops on board will have them for sale.

Remember, these ships can be big. There can be 1000 other people on board with you. This means to just be smart and clean. Wash your hands, cover your mouth, and use hand sanitizer stations (especially before entering a restaurant or buffet!)

Food is included, so eat up! ;) Check out all the available food options, which can vary from buffets, pizzerias, formal restaurants (can be multiple!), and bar-like stations. Eat what you want and try new things. If you want two orders of lobster, ask your waiter and they will most likely make it happen!

Watch out for the sun! Since you are out on the salty sea, the suns rays can be amplified, and a half hour in the sun on board can give you the same burn as a few hours on land. You don't want to have to lay in bed burnt and miss out on the fun activities! :mad:

Activities on board vary by cruise line (some lines cater more to families or an older crowd). There should always be something to do, check the newsletters or just walk around and find something! :)

While in port, be a smart traveller. Many cities rely on the income from the ships, and the townspeople are aware that ships full of American passengers come in daily. If you're really unsure what to do in a port, check the excursions offered through the cruise line. You can also ask the crew for recommendations on what to do in port, they will probably be able to give you some good ideas or hotels/resorts that are nice to relax at. If you do venture out on your own, make sure you know when to get back, how you will get back, and how to say "the ship" in the native language, just in case! :cool:

When you're on board enjoying your cruise, make sure to check out the future cruise ship sales desk so you can start planning your next trip! I hope you enjoy it and can't wait to go again! If you still have some worries, leave a reply and let me know so I can help! :D

All good advise - a couple of additions/comments:

When the ship x-rays your belongings when you get on the ship, they're not just looking for alcohol, though that is certainly one of their targets. Check your cruise line paperwork for its list of all prohibited items. Every cruise line has one, and it might include scissors, irons or anything with a heating element (except for hair dryers and curling irons), knives or anything that could be used as a weapon, etc.

If you openly carry alcohol on board that is prohibited, and they find it (and the odds are good that they WILL), you will PROBABLY get it back at the end of the cruise; if, however, they find something that you are trying to sneak in or camouflage (example, rum runners or vodka in a water bottle), you very likely will NOT get it back. It's uncanny, but they often zero right in on the bogus items.

Also, there are many more than 1000 people on most ships - some have close to 1000 crew members, plus several thousand passengers. The most important thing to stay healthy is WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS, WASH YOUR HANDS. Another important factor in staying healthy is to drink plenty of water. Many people get quite dehydrated from sun & wind, dry air-conditioned air, salty food, and extra alcohol.

Stay safe & healthy and have a wonderful cruise!

First off, congratulations on going on your first cruise! You're going to have an amazing time! Cruising is a way of travel enjoyed by so many, so sit back and relax! If you do have some fears, I hope to calm them and give you some great advice to enjoy your first cruise!

Boarding the ship is very similar to boarding an airplane, security wise. All passengers are sent through a metal detector and all bags are x-rayed. Passports and ID's are checked. Every time you get back on board, you will go through a similar process (your ID and "Cruise Card" will be checked and bags will be scanned). A big item cruise ships are looking for is alcohol.

The amount of alcohol allowed onto the boat varies by cruise line, so check ahead of time! Alcohol will probably be quite expensive on board, so plan ahead if you plan on drinking. If you do bring more than allowed, the ship will store it for you and you can collect your items at the end of the cruise :D.

Being at sea, you might experience seasickness. If you think you will get sick, head to your drug store and pick up something to help. There are a few ways to prevent seasickness. Some popular ways are patches, pressure point bands, or pills. Ginger pills are good for an upset stomach. If you don't bring anything on board, the shops on board will have them for sale.

Remember, these ships can be big. There can be 1000 other people on board with you. This means to just be smart and clean. Wash your hands, cover your mouth, and use hand sanitizer stations (especially before entering a restaurant or buffet!)

Food is included, so eat up! ;) Check out all the available food options, which can vary from buffets, pizzerias, formal restaurants (can be multiple!), and bar-like stations. Eat what you want and try new things. If you want two orders of lobster, ask your waiter and they will most likely make it happen!

Watch out for the sun! Since you are out on the salty sea, the suns rays can be amplified, and a half hour in the sun on board can give you the same burn as a few hours on land. You don't want to have to lay in bed burnt and miss out on the fun activities! :mad:

Activities on board vary by cruise line (some lines cater more to families or an older crowd). There should always be something to do, check the newsletters or just walk around and find something! :)

While in port, be a smart traveller. Many cities rely on the income from the ships, and the townspeople are aware that ships full of American passengers come in daily. If you're really unsure what to do in a port, check the excursions offered through the cruise line. You can also ask the crew for recommendations on what to do in port, they will probably be able to give you some good ideas or hotels/resorts that are nice to relax at. If you do venture out on your own, make sure you know when to get back, how you will get back, and how to say "the ship" in the native language, just in case! :cool:

When you're on board enjoying your cruise, make sure to check out the future cruise ship sales desk so you can start planning your next trip! I hope you enjoy it and can't wait to go again! If you still have some worries, leave a reply and let me know so I can help! :D

Post # 2?

Boarding the ship is more like checking into a hotel, than boarding a plane! Yeah, your carry-ons will go thru a scanner, but that's where the similarity stops. You may bring liquids, and whatever fits thru the scanner. From that point, you simply check into your room. Easy!

I would add: never fly in to your embarkation city the same day of your cruise. That's because things happen -- mechanical problems, weather problems, even financial problems for your airline may cause delays or cancellations. Better to get into your embarkation city early and relax. You can even stock up on things you didn't want to pack (for example, wine -- if your cruiseline allows you to bring it; most likely you won't be allowed to bring other types of alcohol).

I wouldn't depend on the stores on board the ship to have what I might need -- any medications might not be the exact type you want and would cost a lot for just a few pills. Plus, when you need something, the shop might be closed (it's usually opened while at sea and not all day -- may close around 6 or so).

For seasickness, try a few remedies ahead of time and then take what doesn't give you side effects -- if one doesn't work in extra practice, maybe another will. Also, if you're on prescription medications, ask your doctor for suggestions. You don't want to take something that will interfere with treatments.

Another thing: once you book your cruise, go on the website for your cruise line and read up on the rules, on your ship, on dress code, etc.

Don't try to do everything. Look at the daily newsletter for ideas, but don't fret about missing something. You don't want to return home tired out from a relaxing cruise. When trying to decide what to do in each port, remember this too. Don't schedule out every second of your port stay. If you really thing there was a lot of interesting things there, maybe you can do another cruise to the same port or even decide to do a land vacation there for a few days. There's guidebooks and tourism websites to help you out. The really important thing is to be BACK on board by the time listed in the ship's newsletter (usually at least an half hour before sailaway).

There, and I'm not a travel agent and not a student.

Posting on a message board is an oddly common assignment these days. I'm not fond of the way it sets students up for criticism unrelated to the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem if they posted on a writing forum! On the other hand, if it is the quality of the research that is being tested, what better place to post than on a forum of the topic written about? I am an English teacher and I think this sort of real-world assignment (if Cruise Critic can be said to be "real world" :rolleyes:) is a great idea! It also hones students' argumentation skills, which, as we all know, are requisite for CC membership!

I've had my students post reviews on Trip Advisor.

We were to write about our topic (my original topic was cruise ship safety, but switched to fears of cruising) and direct the writing to a specific audience, so I chose new cruisers. I thought this would be a good place that new cruisers would read my writing and hopefully find it useful!

New cruiser here and I'll add some feedback. I thought the post was well written, very welcoming, and it added to my my excitement of waiting for my cruise (which still seems so far away). I had already considered most of what was written in the post, but it was a nice affirmation that I was on the right track.

I also like Cruisin' Chicks additions.

Thank you for posting this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

New cruiser here and I'll add some feedback. I thought the post was well written, very welcoming, and it added to my my excitement of waiting for my cruise (which still seems so far away). I had already considered most of what was written in the post, but it was a nice affirmation that I was on the right track.

I also like Cruisin' Chicks additions.

Thank you for posting this.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you are partial to certain types of medications - Aleve, Bonine, cold meds, etc. bring them with you.

I learned the hard way years ago in Australia - I got the flu and needed some meds but an allergic to codeine (which was in a lot of the over the counter meds they had). Went to a pharmacy did not see any familiar meds and told the man "I can't breathe, have a fever and a sore throat, what can you give me that doesn't have codeine?" Thankfully he had something I could take.

After that trip - I'm a walking pharmacy on every trip;)

I'm a first time cruiser so I'm the target audience for the OP. My first cruise is in 51 days to Alaska and I found the information in the post and subsequent posts helpful. Granted, a lot of them were common sense but the forum IS "First Time Cruisers". I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible, so keep the advice coming!

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with a post helping other people, regardless of cruising experience, but then again, I'm not normally the type of person who lurks in the weeds waiting to take potshots at others. If the post didn't help you, that's great. Congratulations! Others might feel differently...

Jim

I agree with Jim. What is obvious to some is not to others. The positive tone of the original OP really ADDS to the excitement of the first cruise experience. The negativity, not so much.

My favourite posts on this forum are the ones that tell me how fun it's going to be and how welcome I am here. I also really appreciate those that take the attitude that there are no stupid questions in this forum in particular. It's a safe place usually.

It took me 20 years to sign up for my first cruise. I'm enjoying the obsession. About 60 days to go. This weekend we're finalising excursions which autocorrect keeps trying to fix as excitations ☺.

I'm a first time cruiser so I'm the target audience for the OP. My first cruise is in 51 days to Alaska and I found the information in the post and subsequent posts helpful. Granted, a lot of them were common sense but the forum IS "First Time Cruisers". I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible, so keep the advice coming!

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with a post helping other people, regardless of cruising experience, but then again, I'm not normally the type of person who lurks in the weeds waiting to take potshots at others. If the post didn't help you, that's great. Congratulations! Others might feel differently...

Jim

I agree. The info provided was pretty good/accurate, regardless of the post count. For a truly seasoned cruiser, the info is fairly basic, but this is the board that is supposed to be aimed at first time cruisers.

Another quick question : is internet available on the ship?

Is it really expensive ? I read that so e of the ports have restaurants with free wifi?

Thanks!

From my understanding most ships have internet but at what I would consider an expensive fee. As I have only sailed on The Enchantment of the Seas, they had internet, which my sister did pay for about an hours worth, and it was frustrating and slow to sign in. We sailed to Nassau which many people have said that there are several places there with internet either for a fee or a purchase from the location like McDonalds. I hope this helps. If you need more help maybe you might want to think about posting your question on the forum page for your specific cruise line.

Adding some more two cents: Many of us have been on cruises before registering with CC. I had been on eight cruises before finding this board.

Also to explain further what the concept of an English class: in recent years it's been called "Language Arts," but many of us still call it "English." Grammar, writing, literature. But not learning the actual language if that's what one poster is hinting at.

Another quick question : is internet available on the ship?

Is it really expensive ? I read that so e of the ports have restaurants with free wifi?

Thanks!

Generally Internet is available on most ships. You should check the website for your cruise line to find out how much it costs and how to go about signing up for it. A major problem is that it can be very slow. I know with Princess, a satellite feed will send the signal to the ship, so it might not be available the whole time. And if many people are trying to use it at the same time, it can get bogged down. I had purchased an Internet package for our last cruise and it seemed to work the fastest and best late at night (we didn't bring a computer, so we used the Internet Cafe on board).

And probably what you read is that some ports may have Internet cafes, more or less. Not restaurants, unless it's some gimmick. Sometimes it may be a small store that has a computer set up that you pay by the minute. Or may be a coffee house with the same set up.

A comment about all the other comments here...I am by no means an expert, only been on 1 cruise and did months of research for that, but I do know from my experience on that cruise that even seasoned cruisers don't always know a lot either.

We met a family on our cruise that were at a Diamond Level with RCI and did not know that you could watch the prices of your cruise and if they went down before your final payment date you could call Royal and get an adjustment.

And, I also know from experience with booking our cruise for his year, that if you call Royal their customer service does not always have all of the up to date information for your ship. The operator said to us in April, "Oh I see that they are adding a big screen to the pool deck." My sister and I chuckled and let her know that it had already been added before our cruise last November.

Happy sailing everyone!

From my understanding most ships have internet but at what I would consider an expensive fee. As I have only sailed on The Enchantment of the Seas, they had internet, which my sister did pay for about an hours worth, and it was frustrating and slow to sign in. We sailed to Nassau which many people have said that there are several places there with internet either for a fee or a purchase from the location like McDonalds. I hope this helps. If you need more help maybe you might want to think about posting your question on the forum page for your specific cruise line.

Hi, I'm a first time cruiser heading to Alaska next week. How is the wifi going in the inside strait or passage route for the Alaska trips usually?

We were to write about our topic (my original topic was cruise ship safety, but switched to fears of cruising) and direct the writing to a specific audience, so I chose new cruisers. I thought this would be a good place that new cruisers would read my writing and hopefully find it useful!

You did fine on your assignment. I hope you get an A. I guess some of us has been out of school for so long that we forget that English assignments isn't always about book reports or what we did for summer vacation but now includes targeting a wider audience than just our classmates.

Megan, thanks very much for a well-organized post. For myself, I am a first-time cruiser, though I've spent most of my working life at sea, so I found it interesting to read your post from the point of being an experienced sailor who's never cruised as a passenger :) Please feel free to disregard BlueRiband and others of his/her ilk; you owe no explanation of any kind to them.