Diamond Princess - Japan Season - REVIEW

Lanwood

I am talking about Japanese guides in Japan refusing tips from the British. They will not accept them and put their hands out of sight quicker than the British could get their wallets out.

Ahh - gotchya...

I posted this review on another thread as a promise to a previous poster. KNIPPSEL made a good suggestion to post the review on a separate thread for others to easily find, who may find it of interest or use.

Enjoy.

Thank you so much for all the info as we are doing an 18 day trip on the ship on august31 We are hoping that they will iron out some of the issues but also looking forward to enjoying a different Diamond since we have sailed on her 3 times previously.

Does anyone on this thread have any information on excursions at all We are hoping to hear about any that you did???We are from Australia and I have to say that nude bathing will not be a big winner over here even if it is with the same sex.

Once again thanks for your efforts

Pam

We were on the first cruise after dry dock April 2 from Singapore to Yokohama. From the OP review it is obvious that several things changed for the cruise out of Yokohama. Kai Sushi was empty on our cruise perhaps because many were not trusting a supply of really fresh fish. Sushi was on the menu for one night in the dining room and was obviously not fresh and awful; not a good advertisement for Kai Sushi. There also was nothing done to entice people to try Kai Sushi with any displays or "samples".

We were told when the ship is in Australia the Japanese bathhouse will be used as the thermal suite for $25 per day.

Although warned to not take the first cruise after a dry dock we did because of the itinerary. When we were onboard there weren't many if any Japanese although Passenger Services had many Japanese American "trainees". Americans, Canadians, Australians, British, and New Zealanders made up the bulk of the population. We had an excellent Port Lecturer who also spoke Japanese so I am surprised she was not kept on for subsequent cruises.

It was obvious to me, on our cruise, that there was a preoccupation with "getting the ship, physically ready for the Japanese". So much so that I felt that no one really cared that much about the the cruise experience for those onboard, with the exception of the dining room staff in Pacific Moon and the entertainment. CD was better than what the OP has described. We also had great entertainment; probably the best Princess singers and dancers. In Hong Kong and Kobe local entertainment was brought onboard which was great.

We, as many, missed not having an International Cafe. There is definitely a great deal of wasted space on deck five and would have taken pressure off of the buffet area which was always crowded and understaffed. Sterling Steakhouse, I agree was not up to the standard of the Crown Grill although the menu was tweaked. I would have thought that a Japanese Steakhouse could have replaced Sterling and would have been a draw.

Our experience was definitely one of transition for the staff and passengers. Obviously when the ship reached Yokohama, toilets were replaced; the Japanese Bathhouse was finished and Kai Sushi functional.

Our TV was finally programmed for on demand two days before the end of our cruise. The high end boutiques were empty on our cruise; Calypso Cove was always busy.

Toilets were replaced - what do you mean? the toilets were replaced!!!!Don't tell me they have squat toilets on the ship now!!!??!? We are going on Diamond for 3 btob cruises from 18 Sept. After reading yours and other comments I am wondering what we are in for. We were on Diamond in April 2012 Singapore to Vancouver and went to Nagasaki and Sapporo on that. We loved that cruise. Lorell in Melbourne, Australia.

We are from Australia and I have to say that nude bathing will not be a big winner over here even if it is with the same sex.

Once again thanks for your efforts

Pam

I'm not sure if the nude bathing with the same sex makes it better or worse:D:eek:

Toilets were replaced - what do you mean? the toilets were replaced!!!!Don't tell me they have squat toilets on the ship now!!!??!? We are going on Diamond for 3 btob cruises from 18 Sept. After reading yours and other comments I am wondering what we are in for. We were on Diamond in April 2012 Singapore to Vancouver and went to Nagasaki and Sapporo on that. We loved that cruise. Lorell in Melbourne, Australia.

OMGosh - just spewed drink all over:eek:

Ha ha - no no. This was discussed here, and should answer your question on that one..... www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2033413

I'm not sure if the nude bathing with the same sex makes it better or worse:D:eek:

Yes - one doesn't want to put one's fellow passengers off their dinner. I do believe Lintywhite got a response from Princess confirming the Japanese Izumi spa area will revert to a "cladded" unisex Thermal type suite arrangment when in Australian season....

Yes - one doesn't want to put one's fellow passengers off their dinner. I do believe Lintywhite got a response from Princess confirming the Japanese Izumi spa area will revert to a "cladded" unisex Thermal type suite arrangment when in Australian season....

We were told the same thing by the Hotel Director when we were on the Diamond. It will be the thermal suite while in Australia.

• 1 month later...
Interesting thread. I just booked the Aug 30, 2015 Japan cruise. I am going solo so really wonder how an American, solo, woman will feel. Any thoughts?

This, like every other cruise, is catered to the majority but considerate of the minority.

Sounds like the Japanese majority are very friendly towards Western minority.

Part of the attraction with places like Japan and India is the culture shock right?

Those with a sense of adventure might even try the nude bathing? :)

Lanwood and others that cruised on the Diamond Princess in Japan recently.......could you post the Princess Patters that you have of the cruise?

I'm collecting Patters and the websites they are located at for a future posting of recent Princess Patters for future cruisers to view. Trying to find examples from all the cruise destinations on the Princess ships.

Any effort is very much appreciated.....:)

Lanwood and others that cruised on the Diamond Princess in Japan recently.......could you post the Princess Patters that you have of the cruise?

I'm collecting Patters and the websites they are located at for a future posting of recent Princess Patters for future cruisers to view. Trying to find examples from all the cruise destinations on the Princess ships.

Any effort is very much appreciated.....:)

Sorry onefine89 - I had them on the coffetable, all neatly piled up ready to take, but left them there in my rush on disambarkation morning :(

I was on RC 2 yrs ago from Singapore to Indonisia, and they did a modified cruise - not sure they know what they are doing trying to mix both cultures.

Have they asked the Oriental population if they want to go on a "Japanese cruise" - if they asked, I found when I asked people on my cruise, they expected the American type cruise, and would have been happy with it.

The confusion, on board by doing announcments in several languages, was that people just stop listening - not sure what would happen in an emergency.

The 3 ladies at my table did not speak to me for the fisrt 3 nights, found they could speak English very well, but only spoke to us after we considered going to a different table.

I am single, and was a little annoyed that my table mates would not speak to me, but guess they understood my complaints when I voiced them to the one other couple at the table, and then they started talking to us.

The couple at my table told me they were doing special dining the next night, and I said, I will have to eat elsewhere, do not want to eat alone with no one to talk to - guess I offended them - opps, but they did talk to me the next night, and from then on.

They younger people were expecting it to be like visiting Las Vagas, and were disappointed that they addaped to the "local" culture - they wanted to absorb the "American" lifestyle.

They often travel in whole families, so there were many large groups on board with all ages from very young to very old.

Signage on board was not changed, and that was a problem, the adult pool became a free for all, not a quiet adult only pool. When I complained, I got a shrug - they asked families with kids to leave, and they moment the staff left the area, all the kids were back - some with no suits, some in diapers - found I did not swim that cruise.

Food at the buffet was mostly normal, but had hash browns one day, and they were ice cold - told it was a culteral thing - not sure I agree - did not have them again! Thankfully there were mostly "American" items.

As stated above - they often did not show up for shows, but did show up in large numbers for the daytime offerings.

If you are onboard, do not assume a person cannot speak or understand English - most do very well with the English language if you ask them.

I am looking to go to Asia again this coming winter/spring, but will not be looking at Princess, I prefer not to go on a ship that adjusts to local culture - they do a poor job - not sure why they bother - they do not do that in the Med or the Carib or in Auz - I go to get the real culter when I am ashore - not their sloppy version - just my opinion!

I have been on over 20 cruises world wides - love to cruise, but do not want the hassles of the "local culture" on board.

A couple of thoughts:

Cruise culture: While this type of cruise doesn't appeal to me at all I have to wonder how the Japanese tourists feel when they sail on a cruise tailored to westerners. The signs, menus, announcements, etc. are all in English. The food and activities are structured for westerners. Do the Japanese feel as left out as many of the westerners felt when on a Japanese-centric cruise? I would guess this might be the case.

Nudity: I live in California and when I was younger (in the 70's) nude swimming, sauna, etc. were quite common in some areas. We were all young and had nice firm, young bodies. I'm now 61 and I really feel most of the folks my age look so much better with their clothes on!

Entertainment: I believe that the Japanese are far more used to being told what to do than most westerners. Conformity is highly valued and "doing your own thing" seems to be frowned upon. No wonder the highly structured line dancing is so popular on this cruise. I've also read in various places that the western entertainment options that the Japanese do embrace seem to be quite a few years behind what is current in western culture. They seem to do things that were popular maybe 20 years ago. Can anyone say Karaoke? I also think the one poster (sorry, forgot who said it) was probably spot on when he said that the bar scene was likely so empty because the men were cruising with their wives. From things I've read elsewhere it seems to me that the Japanese spousal relationship is far different than that of westerners.

Some of the cultural differences on this cruise wouldn't bother me but the lack of any sense of "personal space" and the loud talking (more likely what I would consider yelling) and banging of doors in the wee hours - which I believe is not an isolated thing but something that the Japanese would consider completely normal - would totally annoy me.

I understand about embracing and experiencing different cultures but, when the cultural aspects are ones that, to western sensibilities, are extremely rude and obnoxious, then I draw the line. The old saying, "When in Rome...) can apply but it has been my experience in the US that the Japanese don't take this idea to heart when they visit other places. They persist in their own cultural ways no matter where they are. People often say that westerners need to adapt and conform when travelling but they don't ever seem to feel that others should do the same. It's a bit odd...

I'm glad the Japanese are now getting to cruise and that they can have an atmosphere that appeals to them but I definitely don't have any interest at all in this cruise market. One of the great things in life is having choices.

Sorry onefine89 - I had them on the coffetable, all neatly piled up ready to take, but left them there in my rush on disambarkation morning :(

That's too bad.......you had good intensions:).....thanx

Cruise culture: While this type of cruise doesn't appeal to me at all I have to wonder how the Japanese tourists feel when they sail on a cruise tailored to westerners. The signs, menus, announcements, etc. are all in English.

Princess does have dining room menus printed in languages other than English and uses them when appropriate for the passenger. I do not know if Japanese is one of those languages.

Princess does have dining room menus printed in languages other than English and uses them when appropriate for the passenger. I do not know if Japanese is one of those languages.

Yeah - Japanese was definately "the" language on board. Most mornings for breakfast it would take a while for the waiters to realise that we couldn't read Japanese (all menu's where defaulted to Japanese), and would have to go looking for one in English or us.

At the Lobby Bar, the drinks/coffee/tea menu's where also in Japansese (with limited English writing underneath). Was usually o.k., but if you wanted to read, say, what the ingrediants was in a coctail, the bar tender would have to find you an English one (and that could take a while).

The menus outside the restaurants where generally printed in Japanese.

The food items in Horizon's court where displayed in English and Japanese on the one card.

The Patter was distributed in both Japanese and English (it was the responsibility of the cabin steward to ensure you got one you could read). The English version would list whether an activity/show/movie etc was in Japanese or English.

The broshures at the Lotus spa and Izumi spa where in Japanese or English (make sure you pick the right one).

I just disembarked the Diamond Princess this morning in Yokohama, after 9 days on board for the "Ancient Capitals" cruise. Disclaimer: I am Asian, although not Japanese, so admit my bias.

The passenger mix on the ship was approximately 500 from Australia and New Zealand, 500 from USA/Canada, 400 from Japan, and many Brits, etc. Apparently the cruise previously had more local Japanese guests.

I did not find the cruise experience that much different from the 20+ other Princess Cruise vacations I have enjoyed. The main "cultural difference" I noticed was that most people wanted to walk on the left side of the corridor (mainly the Aussies!). Yes, there was Japanese translation at the muster drill, with the noontime report from the bridge, and at the shows. There were Japanese menus, Patters, and signage alongside English ones (for the menus sometimes they would be on the opposite wall or below on a stand). There is also a separate Wake Show in Japanese. The Cruise Director and staff were really fantastic - easily one of the most memorable for me (and the Crew Talent Show is so darned funny it really should not be missed!).

I think some of the problems previously mentioned in this thread have been sorted out. I spoke with numerous Japanese and Korean crew members and never had a problem with anybody's English. We had a port lecturer who actually had very good information about DIY travel in the ports. I always received my Patter on time, in the correct language. Really the only people who mistook me as a non-English speaker were fellow passengers, who assumed I must be local Japanese since I am Asian!

Personally, after nearly 200 days of the same old Princess menu items it was really refreshing to see the new Japanese menu items! From miso soup to sunomono salad to yakitori it was all great. The Horizon Court's noodle bar and rice bowls were big hits with many non-Japanese passengers. I would often see the Japanese selecting the western foods and the westerners preferring the rice or noodles.

I really hope that Princess Cruises gets this Japan idea to work in the long term. Japan is such an amazing place to visit and I would not hesitate to choose a Japan itinerary over cruising in any other part of the world (and certainly better than doing the same Caribbean ports all the time). Yokohama is such an amazing embarkation port and that was only the start. Every single Japanese port pulled out all the stops to ensure that cruise passengers felt welcome and had service with professionalism and a smile, which is the Japanese way. Upon disembarkation today numerous shuttle buses were lined up to take us to the nearest Japan Rail station. Comparatively, my home port of Vancouver which has handled cruise traffic for decades, would be put to shame!

Edited by A.Emgee

Thanks so much for your wonderful report. We make our final payment next week for our cruise in October and I can't wait to see Japan again and to be on the Diamond.

It will be such an interesting experience and so different to what we are used to. We have visited Japan once before and loved the country so are looking forward to seeing more of it.

I am so glad that your experience was such a positive one.

Jennie

Thanks so much for your wonderful report. We make our final payment next week for our cruise in October and I can't wait to see Japan again and to be on the Diamond.

It will be such an interesting experience and so different to what we are used to. We have visited Japan once before and loved the country so are looking forward to seeing more of it.

I am so glad that your experience was such a positive one.

Jennie

I'll look forward to your report on her Jennie. We are booked on her in April and am looking forward to it being Japanized. We too have been to Japan previously and loved it. Over the years we have hosted 22 Japanese students (from 6 weeks to 12 months at a time) so feel we understand their culture. Looking forward to visiting again and seeing how the Diamond has changed. It will be nice to have different food choices too.

The passenger mix on the ship was approximately 500 from Australia and New Zealand, 500 from USA/Canada, 400 from Japan, and many Brits, etc. Apparently the cruise previously had more local Japanese guests.

I think some of the problems previously mentioned in this thread have been sorted out.

Wow - a very different passanger ratio to the first few initial cruises.

Glad to see some of the teething problems have been ironed out.

Thanks for adding your experience and thoughts....

we love them at the hotel we stay at in Shinjuku.

anyways my question

is it changed toliets for ALL cabins or just the higher catergories? balcony and above??

does anyone know ??

im still trying to talk hubby into one of the 9dys cruises in aug. we were just cruising there in May and he thinks its too soon to go back...I DONT THINK SO!!

cheers,

~nancy

mychineseauntie

we love them at the hotel we stay at in Shinjuku.

anyways my question

is it changed toliets for ALL cabins or just the higher catergories? balcony and above??

does anyone know ??

I haven't seen anything official, but I can confirm we had one in our cabin (ours was a min-suite on this one). And I have noted another poster's review stating they did not have one in theirs.